• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

Falling Slowly

-
Sep 9, 2023
So you mean that if we are rescued during suicide and before complete death, there is a possibility of brain damage due to oxygen reaching the brain.
1- What is the percentage of this happening
2- How much time is required to die with helium and nitrogen
3- Does helium or nitrogen gas have to be 100% pure
4- Is this type of death painless

Well, I'm not an expert on inert gas deaths/ctb, but yes, if you're unconscious long enough and rescued before ctb, then there is that possibility. It's not guaranteed, but instead of your brain receiving oxygen, it will be receiving near 100% nitrogen/other inert gas. This causes a thing called hypoxia, which can potentially damage the brain.

But as regards your questions:
1) no idea
2) The peaceful pill handbook says 5-10 mins
3) As near to 100% as possible. I think the figure people usually give is > 99. @intoxitated says > 98% should be ok (see his post above, post #4,149 😉)
4) Meant to be, according to the PPH. And Dignitas(Swiss right-to-assisted-dying organisation) who did the inert gas method on one occasion.

I came across a piece about a South Korean man who went to a hospital, 5 days after he attempted to ctb via nitrogen and a plastic bag. Not sure exactly what his setup was, or how much gas he had. The paper just said he lost consciousness, then regained it a few hours later (I presume he didn't have enough gas to ctb).
Anyway, he showed up at the hospital with symptoms of diplopia (double vision), headache, and numbness and cramping in his hands. A CT scan showed no abnormalities; an MRI scan showed some high signal intensity in parts of his brain. But his symptoms improved, and he was released after 15 days, with no apparent damage to his brain.
Again, hard to know if he just had enough nitrogen to lose consciousness, but maybe didn't have enough to ctb. It's here if you want to look at it.

In 2008, Dignitas did an inert gas trial of 4 people (they usually use pentobarbital when doing assisted suicide), where they hooked up helium to a face mask. The times it took to lose consciousness, and die, are shown here:
Screenshot 20231205 2101042

They said the reason the fourth person took a lot longer to ctb (~40 mins versus ~5-9 mins for the others), was probably because her mask was not as tight-fitting. As euthanasia is illegal there (as opposed to assisted suicide), the attendants could not adjust the person's mask to ensure its tightness. (all of it was filmed for the police, as assisted suicide often is by Dignitas).

Pic of type of mask used:
Screenshot 20231205 210016

Full pdf study paper on that Dignitas trial can be downloaded free from here.

Last edited:
David8886

David8886

Nov 18, 2021
Well, I'm not an expert on inert gas deaths/ctb, but yes, if you're unconscious long enough and rescued before ctb, then there is that possibility. It's not guaranteed, but instead of your brain receiving oxygen, it will be receiving near 100% nitrogen/other inert gas. This causes a thing called hypoxia, which can potentially damage the brain.

But as regards your questions:
1) no idea
2) The peaceful pill handbook says 5-10 mins
3) As near to 100% as possible. I think the figure people usually give is > 99. @intoxitated says > 98% should be ok (see his post above, post #4,149 😉)
4) Meant to be, according to the PPH. And Dignitas(Swiss right-to-assisted-dying organisation) who did the inert gas method on one occasion.

I came across a piece about a South Korean man who went to a hospital, 5 days after he attempted to ctb via nitrogen and a plastic bag. Not sure exactly what his setup was, or how much gas he had. The paper just said he lost consciousness, then regained it a few hours later (I presume he didn't have enough gas to ctb).
Anyway, he showed up at the hospital with symptoms of diplopia (double vision), headache, and numbness and cramping in his hands. A CT scan showed no abnormalities; an MRI scan showed some high signal intensity in parts of his brain. But his symptoms improved, and he was released after 15 days, with no apparent damage to his brain.
Again, hard to know if he just had enough nitrogen to lose consciousness, but maybe didn't have enough to ctb. It's here if you want to look at it.

In 2008, Dignitas did an inert gas trial of 4 people (they usually use pentobarbital when doing assisted suicide), where they hooked up helium to a face mask. The times it took to lose consciousness, and die, are shown here:
View attachment 124236

They said the reason the fourth person took a lot longer to ctb (~40 mins versus ~5-9 mins for the others), was probably because her mask was not as tight-fitting. As euthanasia is illegal there (as opposed to assisted suicide), the attendants could not adjust the person's mask to ensure its tightness. (all of it was filmed for the police, as assisted suicide often is by Dignitas).

Pic of type of mask used:
View attachment 124239

Full pdf study paper on that Dignitas trial can be downloaded free from here.
thank you so so much

Reactions: Falling Slowly
WrongWayGoBack

WrongWayGoBack

Aug 29, 2018
I ordered this one. It looks to come with the regulator which does L/min and has enough gas for 16 minutes at 15 L/min which I hope is long enough. I plan to use just an oven bag and drive to the wilderness to do it.

Should I get a backup tank in case this one fails to do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mare Imbrium

Mare Imbrium

Killing yourself to live.
Dec 10, 2020
I would take two of these bottles and connect them with a t-connector.

DeadManLiving

DeadManLiving

Ticketholder
Sep 9, 2022
You're not doing anything wrong, it's just 10 seconds isn't long enough. According to those who did a blackout test, you don't feel anything, unconsciousness just hits you instantly. If you're feeling any suffocation feelings, it's due to CO2. A small bit of CO2 in the hood is normal, especially if there's no exhalation valve on it. But you shouldn't be feeling any suffocation feelings.
A CO2 scrubber on the one-way flap exhaust/vent port would / should purge all residual CO2, and O2 scrubbers inside the respirator's cavity would get it to as pure as N2 can be, if properly sealed.

As far as SI, heavy sedatives. If you can strap your self/head locked "in-place" an epic dose of benzos should knock you out hard and cold for even as long as a day. Just don't forget to activate everything and triple check beforehand.

What about NO2 laughing gas? I'd like to try dying laughing.

I'm doing Liquid Nitrogen in a confined space following the reports of industrial accidents where nitrogenized confined spaces (vehicle cabin, pipeline) resulted in death within minutes, passing out within a breath or two. Recent LN2 leak at chicken factory resulted in mass casulaties, and this was even in a wide open space. I guess since the cold vapor as it evaporates from liquid-to-gas at 1:695 and heavier partial pressure the cryogenic state saturated the atmosphere from bottom up. Plus cold nitrogen gas condenses the oxygen from your lungs (and air) besides displacing it. Most recent industrial accident at a plant report read a pipeline was purged with N2 and its end was covered with some tarp a day ago. Apparently that was enough to kill the first worker and second one who was near the endpoint passed out. The atmosphere was definately below 98% since it wasn't actively purging and the N2 couldn't have gotten that far out into the line since the source was a long way away. Plus, there was a wind draft, and the purge cycle ran 24 hours ago. Even then, that was apparently enough (I figure 94% N2 at best; the report doesn't say) but he was out in a wink.

huphup

huphup

Student
Dec 2, 2023
Hi, I would like to buy a tank that is filled with N2 in Canada. It seems you need to have an account or be a company. Does anyone know of any places (preferrably online) where I could get one, or any tips? Looking for something on the smaller end that I could use in my car.

huphup

huphup

Student
Dec 2, 2023
Could someone point me towards a source for a EEBD hood or something similar, I am located in Canada

K

k1w1

Experienced
Feb 16, 2022
View attachment 124485

I ordered this one. It looks to come with the regulator which does L/min and has enough gas for 16 minutes at 15 L/min which I hope is long enough. I plan to use just an oven bag and drive to the wilderness to do it.

dont post sources as it burns it down for others
View attachment 124485

its not big enough. go 9 litres
Could someone point me towards a source for a EEBD hood or something similar, I am located in Canada
Do a search on Chinese sites. Read Vizzy's post which will point you in the right direction.

O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
So you mean that if we are rescued during suicide and before complete death, there is a possibility of brain damage due to oxygen reaching the brain.
It will never happen with me, rescue before death would be impossible--My body won't be discovered for many days--When I text the few people I know, I only text them every few days--No one will get suspicious for many days, maybe a week

Reactions: Mare Imbrium
jatty

jatty

zero emotional regulation
Nov 13, 2023
Hey guys, is it okay to use a 70% argon + 20% co2 flowmeter/ regulator for a nitrogen tank? The one I'm looking at looks (to me) exactly the same as rejected's. I'm just worried if the co2 calibration can mess up the lpm. Thanks

Last edited:
F

ftm68_99

May 4, 2023
Exit Bag and Inert Gas Basics —A very, very long post, I know, but I feel like I've fielded a lot of questions about this, so I figured I'd spell out everything I know. Others on the forum should please add to this thread whatever reliable technical information they feel is appropriate for someone attempting this method to have.

The idea behind using an exit bag with inert gas is to create an atmosphere around your head that is both free of life-sustaining O2 and can carry away the exhaled CO2 that would activate your hypercapnic alarm.

The Gas:

You will need to keep the inert gas flowing at 15 liters per minute (Lpm) for 40 minutes to be confident of ending your life —in other words, you'll need a minimum of 600 liters of inert gas. In the past this would have been helium (He), but due to the uncertain availability of genuinely pure He, the best current options are nitrogen (N2) and argon (Ar). Both are reliably available in pure form (no air contamination) from stores that supply welders. N2 is also available from some brewery supply houses, but the purity of the gas should be confirmed to your satisfaction. Both N2 and Ar should work to ctb and are similar enough in their properties to be treated identically for use with an exit bag.

Pressurized gas cylinder sizes are not standardized across the industry, nor internationally, and it can be difficult, if not impossible, to tell how much gas they contain from a photograph on a website.

In the US, a 20 cubic foot (cf) cylinder is the smallest you should use for ctb; a 40cf will allow some margin for flinching, practicing, etc. "A 20cf" and "a 40cf", or "a 20" and "a 40" is nomenclature US welding supply houses will recognize, so asking for either should get you the desired product. A 20cf cylinder is quite small for industrial use; I've had clerks tell me, "well, we have a 40, but we'll need to special order a 20." It's up to you what you do in that situation. Personally, I have a 40cf cylinder. It has allowed me to flinch and abort my attempt three times now, and I don't need to worry about refilling it. I bought my N2 at AirGas, a national company here in the US. They do not demand any sort of professional certification for purchasing inert gas, and no more than the usual forms of ID depending on payment method.

I know nothing of gas cylinders outside the US, so if you are using other than US-typical cylinders, you'll need to call and ask to make sure whatever tank you're contemplating holds 600L of compressed gas. Hopefully knowledgeable forum members will add cylinder sizing information to this knowledge base.

Cover story: N2 and Ar are both used for welding. N2 is used in beer brewing. In my day job, I use both N2 and Ar to flood partial cans of expensive paint, to displace the O2 in the cans and prevent the paint from skinning over and going bad. It's a cost saving measure. The clerks I've bought gas from have never heard of that trick, which has meant they don't know enough to interrogate me on my motives or to try and quiz me on my welding knowledge. They have merely said, "huh! That's a new one!"

The store clerk may ask how you're carrying the pressurized cylinder "back to your shop," since pressurized cylinders can be very hazardous to transport (the valve is vulnerable to damage in an accident). I haven't had any trouble when I have told the clerk, "in the back footwell of my car, and very carefully padded!" What they really want to know is that you are aware that a pressurized cylinder is a missile waiting to explode if anything damages it, and that you know enough to not let that happen.
Is there a regulator or some sort that we would use to make sure the gas is flowing at 15 liters per minute? Thanks.
Exit Bag and Inert Gas Basics —A very, very long post, I know, but I feel like I've fielded a lot of questions about this, so I figured I'd spell out everything I know. Others on the forum should please add to this thread whatever reliable technical information they feel is appropriate for someone attempting this method to have.

The idea behind using an exit bag with inert gas is to create an atmosphere around your head that is both free of life-sustaining O2 and can carry away the exhaled CO2 that would activate your hypercapnic alarm.

The Gas:

You will need to keep the inert gas flowing at 15 liters per minute (Lpm) for 40 minutes to be confident of ending your life —in other words, you'll need a minimum of 600 liters of inert gas. In the past this would have been helium (He), but due to the uncertain availability of genuinely pure He, the best current options are nitrogen (N2) and argon (Ar). Both are reliably available in pure form (no air contamination) from stores that supply welders. N2 is also available from some brewery supply houses, but the purity of the gas should be confirmed to your satisfaction. Both N2 and Ar should work to ctb and are similar enough in their properties to be treated identically for use with an exit bag.

Pressurized gas cylinder sizes are not standardized across the industry, nor internationally, and it can be difficult, if not impossible, to tell how much gas they contain from a photograph on a website.

In the US, a 20 cubic foot (cf) cylinder is the smallest you should use for ctb; a 40cf will allow some margin for flinching, practicing, etc. "A 20cf" and "a 40cf", or "a 20" and "a 40" is nomenclature US welding supply houses will recognize, so asking for either should get you the desired product. A 20cf cylinder is quite small for industrial use; I've had clerks tell me, "well, we have a 40, but we'll need to special order a 20." It's up to you what you do in that situation. Personally, I have a 40cf cylinder. It has allowed me to flinch and abort my attempt three times now, and I don't need to worry about refilling it. I bought my N2 at AirGas, a national company here in the US. They do not demand any sort of professional certification for purchasing inert gas, and no more than the usual forms of ID depending on payment method.

I know nothing of gas cylinders outside the US, so if you are using other than US-typical cylinders, you'll need to call and ask to make sure whatever tank you're contemplating holds 600L of compressed gas. Hopefully knowledgeable forum members will add cylinder sizing information to this knowledge base.

Cover story: N2 and Ar are both used for welding. N2 is used in beer brewing. In my day job, I use both N2 and Ar to flood partial cans of expensive paint, to displace the O2 in the cans and prevent the paint from skinning over and going bad. It's a cost saving measure. The clerks I've bought gas from have never heard of that trick, which has meant they don't know enough to interrogate me on my motives or to try and quiz me on my welding knowledge. They have merely said, "huh! That's a new one!"

The store clerk may ask how you're carrying the pressurized cylinder "back to your shop," since pressurized cylinders can be very hazardous to transport (the valve is vulnerable to damage in an accident). I haven't had any trouble when I have told the clerk, "in the back footwell of my car, and very carefully padded!" What they really want to know is that you are aware that a pressurized cylinder is a missile waiting to explode if anything damages it, and that you know enough to not let that happen.
Sorry, I see you answered my question about the regulator in the next post.

F

ftm68_99

May 4, 2023
My experience was that I soon began to feel tingling in my hands, as if they were falling asleep. A short moment later I began to get dizzy, and my vision went grey around the edges. Each of the three times I have attempted this method, that's as far as I got before I flinched and removed the bag.

I did not experience any pain whatsoever, and no real discomfort aside from the mild tingling in my hands.

I do not believe I have suffered any ill effects from three aborted attempts. I had a bit of a cough for a couple days after my third attempt, but I can't say for sure whether that was attributable to the N2. It concerns me only in that this method demands that you be able to breathe freely in order for it to be effective, and I don't want to have ruined my chances to use it later, when I have summoned my courage.

My greatest difficulty is that I have been very stressed during my attempts, and could not keep my breathing steady and deep. This undoubtedly lengthened the amount of time it should have taken for me to black out.

In the stress of the situation, I experienced time dilation —in other words, I can't tell you how long it took for me to feel dizzy; it might have been five seconds, it might have been a minute and a half. It wasn't very long —but it was long enough for me to flinch.

From my experience, this is as painless, comfortable, and potentially peaceful a way to ctb as it is rumored to be. The only drawbacks that I can see are that it requires a lot of equipment —cylinder, regulator, hose, bag— and that there is a surprising amount of time for your survival instinct to kick in, or for second thoughts.

As I wrote at the beginning, I hope other forum members can fill in some of the blanks I have left —specifically, I have seen a lot of questions about tank sizes outside the US that I cannot answer.

I don't wish anyone good luck at catching the bus. I wish we could all find our way to a joyous and satisfying life that would make death an unfortunate reality rather than a longed-for relief. But all of us here know that the Fates aren't always that kind, and so I wish you all the most peaceful relief from your pain that you can find, and if that peace is brought by Death, I hope Death comes gently.
What a kind, loving and understanding final paragraph. Thank you.

A

Antoine_Roquentin

Dec 17, 2023
I am currently considering ctb'ing with an exit bag, primarily because I can't afford SCUBA, SCBA or the hood. I have searched the board and read a lot about it and I am a bit confused. There seem to be quiet a lot of failures with the bag, in some cases the attempts followed the recommendations but still failed.
Also I am not sure about the correct flow rate of nitrogen for example. Most recommendations (PPeH) suggest 15l/minute, but there are some users who say it should be at last 20l in the case of nitrogen (1 and somewhere here in this tread). I know FromGermany had not the best reputation, but in this case he backs up his claim with sources. Anyone has any thoughts about this?

D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
Can't get search function to work, what particular wench do we need? Adjustable smooth-jawed?
Had no idea there were so many different kinds.

O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
I am currently considering ctb'ing with an exit bag, primarily because I can't afford SCUBA, SCBA or the hood. I have searched the board and read a lot about it and I am a bit confused. There seem to be quiet a lot of failures with the bag, in some cases the attempts followed the recommendations but still failed.
Also I am not sure about the correct flow rate of nitrogen for example. Most recommendations (PPeH) suggest 15l/minute, but there are some users who say it should be at last 20l in the case of nitrogen (1 and somewhere here in this tread). I know FromGermany had not the best reputation, but in this case he backs up his claim with sources. Anyone has any thoughts about this?
15 LPM is perfectly fine as per Greenberg, Vizzy used 20 LPM--Nothing wrong with using 25 LPM if you have any doubts

A

Antoine_Roquentin

Dec 17, 2023
15 LPM is perfectly fine as per Greenberg, Vizzy used 20 LPM--Nothing wrong with using 25 LPM if you have any doubts

Thank you for your quick reply!

Is there, like in the SN thread, somewhere a collection of successful attempts with the exit bag? It seems to me that most of the people going for inert gas choose an upgrade like SCUBA/SCBA or EEBD.

Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
Thank you for your quick reply!

Is there, like in the SN thread, somewhere a collection of successful attempts with the exit bag? It seems to me that most of the people going for inert gas choose an upgrade like SCUBA/SCBA or EEBD.

I was talking in another thread about Fentanyl patches, and I mentioned a guidebook I came across, called 'Guide to a Self-chosen and Humane Death', that mentioned fentanyl patches. It also has a chapter on helium and the exit bag. On another thread, a guy was on about using a helium balloon canister and a plastic bag. So I linked the chapter from that guidebook for him, if he wanted to check it out. I'll link it below for you too in case you want to look at it, cause it mentions a stat of over 120 people dying from the exit bag and helium over 4 years.

But be warned, on that thread with the other guy, people warned him not to use a helium balloon canister in case it was not 100% purity, and also warned him to use a regulator, which he wasn't going to use.
I'll link that thread below if you haven't already seen it.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/helium-my-plan-no-regulator.144624/

I haven't heard of a thread of successful attempts. Over the weekend I was looking back at some of the older pages on this thread. A few pages back, one guy showed what looked like police death-scene photos of 2 guys who ctb. One guy used what looks like a black bin bag. I'll link it here, but be warned, it's a graphic photo. The poster uses a spoiler button. I haven't come across any other successful exit bag stuff, but I haven't done an extensive search.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/exit-bag-and-inert-gas-megathread.8393/page-129#post-2172034

Attachments

• 184150_pages_helium.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A

Antoine_Roquentin

Dec 17, 2023

2) The peaceful pill handbook says 5-10 mins.

View attachment 124236

I would take this numbers with a grain of salt because the subjects (since Dignitas helped) were probably terminally ill and very old at least and therefore very frail. But even if it takes younger/healthier people longer, it's still a very short amount of time.

Reactions: David8886
Y

Yuna is My Waifu

Nov 19, 2023
I was talking in another thread about Fentanyl patches, and I mentioned a guidebook I came across, called 'Guide to a Self-chosen and Humane Death', that mentioned fentanyl patches. It also has a chapter on helium and the exit bag. On another thread, a guy was on about using a helium balloon canister and a plastic bag. So I linked the chapter from that guidebook for him, if he wanted to check it out. I'll link it below for you too in case you want to look at it, cause it mentions a stat of over 120 people dying from the exit bag and helium over 4 years.

But be warned, on that thread with the other guy, people warned him not to use a helium balloon canister in case it was not 100% purity, and also warned him to use a regulator, which he wasn't going to use.
I'll link that thread below if you haven't already seen it.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/helium-my-plan-no-regulator.144624/

I haven't heard of a thread of successful attempts. Over the weekend I was looking back at some of the older pages on this thread. A few pages back, one guy showed what looked like police death-scene pictures of 2 guys who ctb. One only used a black bin bag. I'll link it here, but be warned, it's a graphic picture. The poster uses a spoiler button. I haven't come across any other successful exit bag stuff, but I haven't done an extensive search.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/exit-bag-and-inert-gas-megathread.8393/page-129#post-2172034
That was very informative thank you

Reactions: Tears in Rain
N

NoFutureAnymore

Student
Jul 4, 2023
I would take this numbers with a grain of salt because the subjects (since Dignitas helped) were probably terminally ill and very old at least and therefore very frail. But even if it takes younger/healthier people longer, it's still a very short amount of time.
On the other hand, in the study they used masks without a perfect seal. So a little bit of oxygen might have slipped in prolonging the process. I think all the methods found in this thread are more effective, because they all prevent oxygen from slipping in.

A

Antoine_Roquentin

Dec 17, 2023
I am currently pondering which method I should use. After searching the board and reading about the methods, it seems to me that SCBA would be the most foolproof method, especially because it guarantees that no air enters (because of the positive pressure). So that in theory should mean that even if the face muscles relax a bit in the case of unconsciousness, the seal remains intact.

The upgraded SCUBA method described by @befree in his thread seems to come in as a close second. Here there is a non positive pressure which means the mask has to be strapped on tight to prevent any air from entering. This mask uses no mouthpiece, so mouth and nose breathing is possible. I am not sure about the viability of the cheaper basic version which is also described where a mask with a mouthpiece is used. There is another tutorial for this method in another thread. First, there seems to be no consensus if the mouthpiece should be used or removed. Second, the mask blocks breathing through the nose. On the other hand, this method has been used successfully at least once. In this paper it is mentioned that the person used a 6l nitrogen tank and that the remainind pressure was 87 bar. If one assumes that the tank started with 200 bar (or 150) doesn't this mean it took quite a while for him to die as opposed to theory? Remember, the breathing apparatus only works on demand, so if one does not breathe, no nitrogen flows from the cylinder. So I'm not sure if the basic SCUBA version is superior to the simple exit bag.

Another questions regarding masks and SCBA/SCUBA that I have is the breathing resistance: If one is unconscious, isn't the breathing weaker? Is it still guaranteed that if one breathes shallower that the nitrogen is entering the mask?

So i think I might aim for the classic bag, although I am not sure yet.

I also was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction via PM regarding which gear is viable for SCBA.

Reactions: DeadHead
WrongWayGoBack

WrongWayGoBack

Aug 29, 2018
dont post sources as it burns it down for others

its not big enough. go 9 litres

Do a search on Chinese sites. Read Vizzy's post which will point you in the right direction.
Oops. Sorry. Well it arrived, so buying a tank of N2 online in Australia is no hassle. As far as not being enough, I hear you in that if I mess up the exit bag and it leaks in oxygen from outside it won't be enough. But 16 minutes of solid flow seems enough considering in tests most subjects stopped breathing after 5 minutes.

As expected, now that I have the method secured the desire to use it right away has passed. This is probably momentary, I will probably use it sometime in the next month. I'll post when I do so that folks can learn whether or not 16 minutes is enough.

Reactions: Mare Imbrium
alwayssearching202

alwayssearching202

Dec 6, 2023
I live in the US in a place with suppliers that cater to home brewers. Websites indicate they sell beer kits as well as Nitrogen canisters. I know welding shops are often suggested but I am a terrible poker player and would feel very out of my element and now sure I could pull it off. I think I could get by going into a brewing store and say I'm buying a kit + supplies for my non existent partner for Christmas.

Would this be believable? I'd buy a beer kit + the filled nitrogen canister. This is the 5 lb canister and regulator available. Will these work?

Attachments

• IMG_1567 copy.jpg
    IMG_1567 copy.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1566 copy.jpg
    IMG_1566 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
Gas Regulators
I was looking back over this megathread, and I was getting confused about the gas regulators. Then I copped that the SCBA and SCUBA setups don't use a normal gas regulator that people use for an exit bag or EEBD hoods. There's specific SCBA and SCUBA regulators that are used, because the gas only flows into the SCBA and SCUBA masks as the person breathes in.

With the exit bag and EEBD hood, the gas is constantly flowing until the gas runs out of the cylinder. So a normal gas regulator is used for these.

I thought it might be worth posting about this for newbies like me. Here are some pics( hope the posters don't mind me using their pics):

No regulator- helium cannister attached directly to an exit bag- not recommended:
166562 2

Exit bag tubing attached to a regulator that has litres per minute (LPM) readings on a guage:
166925 20230417 190145

EEBD hood attached to a regulator with an LPM flowmeter:
178666 2023 09 17 135254

SCBA mask and regulator:
166546 2 1

Attaching the SCBA regulator to an adapter (adapter needed to go between the regulator and cylinder):
166558 2

Full SCBA setup:
174930 1

SCUBA mask and regulators (one regulator built into valve at front of mask, one at end of hose):
177379 rubber mask with regulator Cressi MC9 compact

SCUBA regulator attached to an adapter, which is attached to the cylinder (adapter is needed for SCBA and SCUBA setups):
166556 1

Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
Last edited:
MG_39

MG_39

Physically ill suffering couch potato
Jul 5, 2019
I can't tell from 5lb if you've enough gas. I haven't come across gas described in lb.

I came across a thread that shows how to work out how much gas you have and how long it will last, but it doesn't mention lbs.:

Inert gas setup 101 thread:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/inert-gas-setup-101.144320/
PV = nRT so for volume V = nRT/P

P = Pressure
V = Volume
N = Moles
R = Gas constant
T = Temperature

Moles: (5*453.59) / 28.02 = 80.94 moles

(80.94 * (0.08206 (atm / mol)) * 273.15) / 101.3 ∼ 18.14L (STP)

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftm68_99
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
PV = nRT so for volume V = nRT/P

P = Pressure
V = Volume
N = Moles
R = Gas constant
T = Temperature

Moles: (5*453.59) / 28.02 = 80.94 moles

(80.94 * (0.08206 (atm / mol)) * 273.15) / 101.3 ∼ 18.14L (STP)

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong.
Way above my pay grade!😉

Reactions: ftm68_99