• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

X

x0nSS

Aug 11, 2023
I believe some users experienced failures with argon+ExitBag. The bag did not inflate properly - probably because the gas is heavy. I know there have been successes too though, so it is possible to use it, but definitely best to go with nitrogen
Can you show me where failures or successes? I am looking for more reading.

Reactions: DeadHead
ztem

ztem

Apr 25, 2023
or directly to regulator/flow-meter
There's no CEJN 344 or Rectus 95KS quick coupler for the CGA-032(5/8-18) outlet for direct use.They should always use that middle adapter in US.

It is very easy to modify the hose, I don't know why people are afraid to do it.I guess these members did it. @anonaon , @k1w1 , @outrider567

500$ hood and reg+460$ for one quick coupler?
I did not know that buying NPT Rectus 95KS or CEJN series 344 is so difficult.
BSPP(for G1/4 and G3/8 regs) Rectus 95KS is available for 70-80e and CEJN series 344 is available for 40-60e.

So according to your post: About the hood setup,they can use Vizzy's hood setup almost everywhere(hood setup with modifying the hose) but about the hood+quick coupler setup(without modifying the hose) only those who have a regulator with BSPP(G1/4 or G 3/8) or BSPT(R1/4 or R3/8) outlet can use it.

If you have that CGA-032 to 1/4 NPT adapter,you just need a simple ~10$ female 1/4 NPT hose barb and you are ready to go,you don't need any extension hose since the hose of those hoods is long enough.

Or if you don't have that,you can buy the CGA-032 hose barb(and nut).

In both cases you have to get rid of that plug.

Edit:This is only my guess about your problem:
for US members(NPT folks) they should only use the 3M Scott,why?Because the 3M Scott's plug is CEJN 340 and we have female CEJN 340 coupler with 1/4 NPT female thread for only ~60$,interestingly you don't find CEJN 340 coupler for BSPP/BSPT thread afaik.
20230826 212217

But for EU members(BSPP/BSPT thread) they should only use the Drager hood since the Drager hood's plug is compatible with CEJN 344 and Rectus 95KS and these two couplers are easily available in EU(for BSPP/BSPT thread) and you don't find these couplers for NPT thread.
177647 IMG 20230826 132817 879

So I just bought a hood but it didn't come with a hose. I guess was kind of expected as the hood was only about 18usd. So does anyone know what kind of connector I need?
If you want EEBD hood setup at a reasonable price, pm the members I mentioned above.they know Vizzy's source and they have ready to use EEBD setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Techef, ThisUnrest and k1w1
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
There's no CEJN 344 or Rectus 95KS quick coupler for the CGA-032(5/8-18) outlet for direct use.They should always use that middle adapter in US.

It is very easy to modify the hose, I don't know why people are afraid to do it.I guess these members did it. @anonaon , @k1w1 , @outrider567

BSPP(for G1/4 and G3/8 regs) Rectus 95KS is available for 70-80e and CEJN series 344 is available for 40-60e.

So according to your post: About the hood setup,they can use Vizzy's hood setup almost everywhere(hood setup with modifying the hose) but about the hood+quick coupler setup(without modifying the hose) only those who have a regulator with BSPP(G1/4 or G 3/8) or BSPT(R1/4 or R3/8) outlet can use it.

If you have that CGA-032 to 1/4 NPT adapter,you just need a simple ~10$ female 1/4 NPT hose barb and you are ready to go,you don't need any extension hose since the hose of those hoods is long enough.

for US members(NPT folks) they should only use the 3M Scott,why?Because the 3M Scott's plug is CEJN 340 and we have female CEJN 340 coupler with 1/4 NPT female thread for only ~60$,interestingly you don't find CEJN 340 coupler for BSPP/BSPT thread afaik.
View attachment 119036

But for EU members(BSPP/BSPT thread) they should only use the Drager hood since the Drager hood's plug is compatible with CEJN 344 and Rectus 95KS and these two couplers are easily available in EU(for BSPP/BSPT thread) and you don't find these couplers for NPT thread.
View attachment 119032

If you want EEBD hood setup at a reasonable price, pm the members I mentioned above.they know Vizzy's source and they have ready to use EEBD setup.
ztem, my EEBD hood came already set up, I didn't modify any hose--I don't know where Vizzy got his EEBD hood, except its in China--He gave me a whatsapp number at one point but I lost it

Reactions: ztem
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
No news from GasMonkey since Sunday...i have a bad feeling about it and i hope i'm wrong
I'm getting worried also, he posts virtually every day, but its been 9 days now

Reactions: Das Nichts and lion4000b
W

winterparty

Student
Jul 29, 2023
I will always bd grateful for helping me out ;-) R.I.P. gasmonkey

Techef

Techef

Student
Jun 19, 2023
Yeah, not in US (I already have middle adapter). In Europe maybe you don't need middle adapter if you're using the regulator/flow-meter unit from the picture that shows how to connect plug/nipple to coupler to regulator/flow-meter (that's from a European site).

It is very easy to modify the hose, I don't know why people are afraid to do it.I guess these members did it.
If you're going to modify hose yourself (I'm guessing some/many members bought hood from kit seller that's no longer around, so they didn't need to do this but were charged a premium), you don't need to buy an expensive hood (like Drager or Scott). I tried sourcing the hood and Nitrogen regulator from said kit directly from CN suppliers. It's possible to get the same or similar hood and click-style regulator/flow-meter yourself, but I ran into 2 problems: 1) hood: I ordered what was supposed to be the same or very similar model as the one from the kit, but what the supplier sent was slightly off. It was undersized/uncomfortable, hose length was barely 70cm instead of promised 1+ meter, and plug/nipple was something I didn't recognize (supplier said it was 9/16-18 UNF, but whatever don't need it so already cut it off), and 2) Nitrogen click-style regulator/flow-meter: supplier no longer wants to accept single or low quantity (basically non-bulk) orders, especially for CGA-580 (seemed maybe willing to sell single quantity orders for bull nose type connection).

$500 would be the total for setup @GasMonkey mentioned excluding the quick coupler. The Drager hood on its own from US website is $250-260, so that's half the cost. (Haven't found US site that sells the Scott hood compatible with CEJN 340 series coupler, only non-US sites, and it's more expensive and/or on back-order) The click-style regulator/flow-meter, CGA-032 to 1/4" NPT middle adapter, and pre-filled tank of Nitrogen (20/40 cu ft, not much difference in price) from AirGas altogether make up other half of cost. I didn't buy a Drager or Scott hood, since I had to research whether I could get coupler in US. Ended up getting yellow EEBD hood with all the issues I mentioned above for ~$15 + shipping (I guess you get what you pay for).

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like NPT Rectus 95KS series couplers even exist. I've only seen BSPP (G1/4 or G3/8 like you said). CEJN lists 1/4" NPT 344 couplers even on its European HQ website, but I haven't been able to find one for sale. That said, I've only looked at UK sites because I can't read anything other than English (and everything is BSPP thread understandably). And no way am I going to pay $460+ for a Honeywell OEM CEJN series 344 coupler that may or may not be what I'm looking for. The whole reason I'd even started looking at this type of assembly was with the understanding that a compatible coupler would be available for a reasonable price, like it is in Europe.

Because the 3M Scott's plug is CEJN 340 and we have female CEJN 340 coupler with 1/4 NPT female thread for only ~60$,interestingly you don't find CEJN 340 coupler for BSPP/BSPT thread afaik.
This would be a good option if I could find the Scott hood for cheap and/or from a shop in US.

With 70 cm worth of hose to work with, I might have to get a bit creative with how I position cylinder and how to secure it so it doesn't fall, but this is the easiest and cheapest option for sure. I'd rather not buy additional hosing to extend it. It's not because it's difficult, just adds another point of failure (leak), and if I had 1 meter of hose to work with my setup would've been just fine (extra 30 cm of hose doesn't sound like much, but that's a whole 1 ft in imperial units). Just wish the seller had sent me a larger hood with a longer hose (as advertised).

Last edited:
ztem

ztem

Apr 25, 2023
just adds another point of failure (leak)
There is no problem with using hose clamps(or air hose ferrules)for fixed(non-moving)use, even those who move their hoses constantly at work use these things.@Vizzy modified his hose and he's dead now.You can always check for leaks and you don't need to guess about it.

limaneta

limaneta

Jul 4, 2023
Hey, going to use an Exit bag with Nitrogen. The kit I got came with a tank, regulator and a hose which is definitely not an oxygen tubing but it's definitely airtight. I have looked online and it doesn't make sense to me how the oxygen tubings I'm seeing would fit at my regulator outlet.
This is about as wide an oxygen tubing I've found online, can they stretch as wide?
How do you connect them such that they are airtight?

D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
Yeah, he's been super helpful and never took more than 24 hours (almost always less) to respond to any questions I had over the course of more than 2.5 months, but the last I heard from him was Saturday evening.

In case he's no longer with us, if you're in NA/US region and he told you about building this setup from scratch:
  • Nitrogen cylinder
  • Argon click-style regulator/flow-meter (all-in-one) - probably recommended because it is easier to source than a click-style regulator for Nitrogen
  • CEJN 344 or Rectus 95KS series compatible breathing air coupler
  • Drager (or 3M Scott) hood - recommended because no need to cut off plug/attach your own if you can get breathing air coupler
  • (CGA-032 to 1/4" NPT adapter, if you're using the particular Argon click-style regulator)
The main advantage of this setup is ease of assembly. The Argon click-style regulator's CGA-580 male connection should screw directly into the cylinder, LPM is easy to set (conversion from Argon to Nitrogen is simple), and the Drager (or Scott 3M) hood's hose has plug/nipple type that connects directly to compatible breathing air coupler (CEJN 344/Rectus 95KS series compatible), wth the breathing air coupler screwing into the CGA-032 to 1/4" NPT middle adapter or directly to regulator/flow-meter (if you have one that doesn't require a middle adapter, probably easier to get in Europe?):

View attachment 118934

Price is around ~$500 USD excluding breathing air coupler. However, there are 2 issues with this setup. First, the Argon click-style regulator has a rounded/protruding CGA-580 male connection, so if your cylinder's CGA-580 female inlet is flat and not deep, it might not fit(?). Second, and much bigger issue: Rectus 95KS series compatible (Parker, Teesing, other OEM manufacturers) breathing air couplers appear to be rare (or impossible to find?) in US/NA. I had to call many local shops/suppliers referred to me by US customer service for CEJN/Parker/Teesing/etc. The people I spoke to at these shops told me they didn't have anything of the sort in stock, and would be surprised if stores in other regions (in the US) did either because that type of breathing air coupler was made for use in Europe. I was told I'd have to give specific dimensions, and they would try to order direct from Europe and have it sent to a local shop. Also, they weren't sure if Rectus 95KS/Parker 95/96 series couplers were even available in 1/4" NPT. They could only find information about BSPP (or "G") type connections. I had to call CEJN's US office for 3 weeks until someone finally told me who the US supplier is. They seemed to have CEJN 344 series compatible 1/4" NPT breathing coupler available (OEM model from Honeywell), but I'm not sure the Drager/3M Scott plug/nipple fits, plus the bigger issue is price: $460+ USD. This is in stark contrast to the ~$80 USD @GasMonkey told me these types of breathing air couplers are available for in Europe.

So unless I can find a compatible breathing air coupler in the US (and ideally for much lower price), I cannot recommend this setup. If anybody has tried building this setup and found a compatible breathing air coupler that I missed, I'd appreciate a PM.
Wish we had a guide like this for uk

K

k1w1

Experienced
Feb 16, 2022

View attachment 119036

View attachment 119032

Thanks Ztem
Yes, I used a hood, purchased individually. The difference in hose diameters is illustrated in the images below, one uses these 'double ear clamps' of slighty differing inside measurements to clamp them round each side of the double ended barb. A pair of pincers, or side cutters will do this well. The regulator end is handled simarlarly, I have a feeling that the O-Rings that came with the reg may be too bulky so I may purchase a rubber washer to seal the inside nut-barb. It is basic but after working with air tools that used to take a real hammering in commercial applications, I am confident it will seal up alright.

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 0
  • join.jpg
    join.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 0
  • pliers.jpg
    pliers.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 0
  • link.jpg
    link.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 0
Das Nichts

Das Nichts

Dead Man Walking
Apr 8, 2023
You need something like this. Check the specs of regulator for the outlet diameter, in eu this is usually g1/4. The nozzle itself should probably 4mm
so you can connect the tubing easily.

Tuelle ig

Reactions: limaneta, ztem and k1w1
ztem

ztem

Apr 25, 2023
1/4 hose barb.(by 1/4 I mean the size of the barbed side of the hose barb)

Wish we had a guide like this for uk
You have,I will send you the links.
outlet of his reg is 5/8 UNF
IMG 20230828 101632 302

Last edited:
Reactions: limaneta
W

winterparty

Student
Jul 29, 2023
I have an important question. Can you wake someone up from unconsciousness induced by hypoxia/this method? Let's say you punch or cut someone during the process? Or is this impossible?

D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
Thanks it totally overwhelming and hard to sift through zillions of posts with a crippling brain tumour. I can't find a gas tank so that's my first objective. If i can find a company that will ship to a residential address, I will try and figure out the rest of it. As I understand it, not all parts fit all tanks.

Reactions: Das Nichts
W

wanttosleep

Aug 8, 2023
I have an important question. Can you wake someone up from unconsciousness induced by hypoxia/this method? Let's say you punch or cut someone during the process? Or is this impossible?
While I don't know if pain or such would cause you to regain consciousness but if they remove your hood before you are dead and you start breathing oxygen again you may awaken with potential brain damage depending how long your brain has gone without oxygen

Reactions: outrider567, winterparty and Das Nichts
Das Nichts

Das Nichts

Dead Man Walking
Apr 8, 2023
Thanks it totally overwhelming and hard to sift through zillions of posts with a crippling brain tumour. I can't find a gas tank so that's my first objective. If i can find a company that will ship to a residential address, I will try and figure out the rest of it. As I understand it, not all parts fit all tanks.
You need to start with the cylinder anyways, after that you can look for what option is available to you.

Reactions: DeadHead and outrider567
D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
You need to start with the cylinder anyways, after that you can look for what option is available to you.
Do you know of any European suppliers that will ship gas to UK? Buying gas in UK is a no go.

Das Nichts

Das Nichts

Dead Man Walking
Apr 8, 2023
Do you know of any European suppliers that will ship gas to UK? Buying gas in UK is a no go.
Why is that a no-go ? I know of none. Probably going to be next to impossible with that Brexit bull it has to go through customs.

D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
Why is that a no-go ? I know of none. Probably going to be next to impossible with that Brexit bull it has to go through customs.
Uk suppliers will only sell and ship to trade addresses

N

NoFutureAnymore

Student
Jul 4, 2023
Maybe "GD"? Their country picker at the checkout also mentions "Vereinigte Königreich", no idea how that works out with customs.

Reactions: DeadHead and Das Nichts
O

On quest

Aug 17, 2023
Hi, I am looking for a Nitrogen regulator, but they only measure PSI (Lbs per square inch) and kPa (Kilopascal), not Lpn (liters per minute). Which is the measurement I need to use to regulate the Nitrogen, where can I find a regulator that uses Lpm? Am I missing something?
Just want to say that I appreciate all the information that you guys share. I have the same question than anonymous and I'm from Canada so we use the CGA 580 type. Do we have to convert PSI to LPM then? I found one that was for Nitrogen, Argon and helium but I was not sure to buy it because of the PSI. If somebody can help me with this confusion.

Das Nichts

Das Nichts

Dead Man Walking
Apr 8, 2023
Personally
Just want to say that I appreciate all the information that you guys share. I have the same question than anonymous and I'm from Canada so we use the CGA 580 type. Do we have to convert PSI to LPM then? I found one that was for Nitrogen, Argon and helium but I was not sure to buy it because of the PSI. If somebody can help me with this confusion.
Look for a nitrogen regulator with cfh flowmeter. You can convert cfh to lpm.

Reactions: DeadHead and On quest
S

ShrimpSB

-
Aug 26, 2023
To those who have actually experienced going to a store to have a tank filled/swapped(in US if it matters), I have a couple questions(Feel free to share your experiences as well). I'll be honest, I overthink things to oblivion, especially if it involves interactions and stretching things I say to not have other party catch on, so I do a weird mental gymnastics prepping in my head what they'll ask and how to respond.

Anyway first, do the clerks always ask what you plan on using the gas for, or do they ask a lot of questions in general? Second, while transporting back home via car, as long as theres a secure and tight grip, is it ok to hold the cylinder in your hands as passenger? Or is the "back of footwell, carefully padded" method OP mentioned the only correct way? Third, how long does the process usually take to fill/swap a cylinder?