• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

A

Alan James

Arcanist
Apr 11, 2019
ProtonMail, a provider of encrypted email, has denied claims that it voluntarily provides real-time surveillance to authorities.

Looks like they just drove all pedophiles, terrorists, drug barons and arms dealers into one pen and try to explore their connections. The case is probably almost impossible, but it would be even more impossible if the pedoterrorists were sitting on a pile of little pens or making their own means of communication.

Reactions: Ἡγησίας
Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
Interesting...
Definately keep us updated if you hear more of this.
This can really change things around...

crimea_river

crimea_river

Experienced
May 27, 2019
There's been quite a lot of claims made about Protonmail over the past few months, particularly on privacy related subreddits. Hard to tell whether or not it's just a sustained campaign to deter people from using it, obviously that could be from either law enforcement, or competitors.

Reactions: brighter and TiredHorse
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Wow. That's not so good, if true. A lot of journalists are going to be scrambling to find new secure communications.

• Yay!
Reactions: Halo13
LaBrava

LaBrava

Experienced
May 5, 2019
It probably is whistleblowers and those deemed to be subversives that government agencies will be interested in, not poor souls looking for means to kill themselves.

Reactions: tiredandhuddledmass, Username786, Halo13 and 2 others
LaBrava

LaBrava

Experienced
May 5, 2019
Anyone know anything about Protonmail's free VPN? Is it worth using?

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
So the short version is that if the Swiss decide you have broken Swiss law they --and only they-- can request metadata from ProtonMail, which may show that you communicated with someone (depending on whether you or the other fellow used a VPN), but the encrypted body of the text will remain encrypted. Not ideal, but not especially disastrous, especially if you use a VPN.

Somehow I doubt this will be especially damaging to the ss community, but it's good information nonetheless.

It is an interesting question whether this is an attempt to undermine ProtonMail's reputation, thus sending its subscribers running or driving them into silence.

Reactions: Darkhaven and crimea_river
crimea_river

crimea_river

Experienced
May 27, 2019
So the short version is that if the Swiss decide you have broken Swiss law they --and only they-- can request metadata from ProtonMail, which may show that you communicated with someone (depending on whether you or the other fellow used a VPN), but the encrypted body of the text will remain encrypted. Not ideal, but not especially disastrous, especially if you use a VPN.

Somehow I doubt this will be especially damaging to the ss community, but it's good information nonetheless.

It is an interesting question whether this is an attempt to undermine ProtonMail's reputation, thus sending its subscribers running or driving them into silence.
It is an interesting question. One that nobody seems to have the answer to, as I said, I've seen a few minor 'campaigns' questioning Protonmail this year, particularly on reddit and then Protonmail are forced to repond with their side of the story.

I don't use Protonmail personally, I did have an account with them, which I think I obtained by invite. I think they now require a phone number to acquire an account? If that's true, I have an issue with that. I use a VPN 99% of the time, which I pay for.

End to end encryption can of course be achieved simply by using thunderbird, for example anyway and there are competitors to Protonmail, who I shan't name, as I don't want to appear like a reddit 'privacy' fanboy :sunglasses:

omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
i tried to make a ProtonMail account but couldn't because of the Captcha challenge at registration. for some reason they won't resolve when using Tor or a proxy, which means you have to use your real IP at registration, if that's logged then...