devils~advocate

devils~advocate

Feb 29, 2024
Sadly it's not easy to find the right regulator in-stores where I am. If I tried sealing, isn't there a possible risk of the regulator shooting out from the tank or some sort of intense pressure buildup that could cause problems?
I wouldn't think it would be a risk. Regulators used for industrial purposes (i.e. welding, etc) don't have this small hole. And the cylinders (tanks) are pressurized at the same pressure as used for this method. Im not sure why the hole is there.....Ive seen it on underwater scuba related fittings for some reason. Im just not sure why.

J

justme1

Dec 13, 2023
Hi, yes, I think it's the same one I have

No, I haven't read about this

If we are talking about the EEBD method, I don't know why any kind of reservoir is needed here. I think the internal reservoir of the hood is sufficient. It can be calculated, I guess. I don't know much about on-demand valve, but EEBD system works with constant flow as far as I know, and I don't even know how to combine on-demand valve and EEBD hood, and if it's even possible, and why it's needed. Or am I missing something?

Thank you for sharing

Oh, I see, sorry, you mean this person said that constant flow systems are prone to failure as opposed to on-demand systems, not about mixing EEBD hood and on-demand valve. I don't think so. I don't see why constant flow wouldn't work if done properly, but I'd like to see this person's arguments
Thanks. The setup I put together seemed logical to me, but that comment had me concerned. Take care

Reactions: limeoctave
K

k1w1

Experienced
Feb 16, 2022
Thank you. I'm considering SCBA... feeling a time crunch but trying to learn all I can to see if it's something I can make work. It's quite expensive unfortunately.
Try the Chinese sites. Very affordable, and you can ask for it sans tank. Im investigating this at present.
The shiny metal part on the right hand side of the black wheel, is the 'reducer' or regulator for a scba system.
It brings the pressure from the cylinder down from 2200 psi to around 100 psi.
Then from there the hose from the LDV is connected to it.
View attachment 142979

Some of the LDVs have their hose directly connected to this reducer.
While other LDVs (newer ones) have this kind of quick connection at the end that allows one to attach or unattach the hose line quickly.
I think the quick connection is the V style. Ive tested it and this appears to be the case. (background info: there are several styles of quick-connect parts...industrial, automotive, high flow V, etc)

View attachment 142980

Well if you are in Europe, India (which where I got an LDV from)...I would imagine one could obtain a full scba system.
One would need to check out fire fighting groups as a possible source. They are always getting rid of used equipment.
Well since you know about TIG welding...there are regulators available that allow for micro control of the flow.
I would like to assemble something like yours. Were you able to buy the kit without the tank?
After getting a better sized double joiner to connect from the tube to EEBD tube, I now have got airflow into the mask. One issue I found is there's a deliberate(?) leak point from the regulator itself. There's a hole in the nut point that gets attached to the cylinder and it bleeds the N.

Is this normal or do I need to cover it somehow or buy a different regulator?
On mine, the nut with the hole screws down over the threads, to which I added some thread tape...it is airtight. Looks like we have a similar regulator....built in flow meter>?
This may be of use to anyone setting up a nitrogen setup, particuarly with an EEBD hood. I had been informed that 15lpm was the correct flow, so bought a .9 cu mtr tank. I found after a few tests etc that I'd ripped through just under half & that I needed 25lpm for comfort. ....0.9 cubes is about 20mins at 25lpm. The gas swap people were very cool and I only had to pay 100 bucks difference to swap to 1.9 cu mtr. filled. Massive tank, feeling way more confidant. I am a motorcyclist and Nitro is used in tyres as the particles are larger so it doesnt leech or cause perishing as oxygen does. This is a sound reason to purchase the stuff. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: outrider567 and limeoctave