carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
This is the most ridiculously timed challenge. Thanks @carac !

I'm a very regular gym goer, so this ordinarily would not be a 'challenge' for me. That was until last week when I relocated! I currently have no membership. Been tempted to allow this as a 'rest' week with needing to arse around town with paperwork etc BUT that is not good for anyone - especially future me.

SO - kick up the backside. One of my new local gyms does a 7 day free pass trial. Have got my plans tomorrow to go sign up for that and try it out - not lose my routine of weights sessions. And then will hopefully feel the need to max out the free 7 days! Saying this out loud this evening so theres accountability for me not being lazy - will report back tomorrow...
There is no time like the present! Hope the new gym works out for you
I'm going to be cutting out on YouTube shorts / other short-form content throughout all of November and - hopefully - never watch reels again. Sometimes I even forget that I'm watching short-form content on my computer and whenever I come across it and remember that it is a reel, I either finish the video I'm watching if it's really interesting, or - ideally - immediately go back to the YouTube homepage.

Reels decrease attention span by a lot and I - along with a lot of others - am a victim of it. I've witnessed the effects personally, be measuring how many pages of a book I can read in an hour. I can see the improvement happening, 10 pages every hour.

I'd love to see if any others are going to do this with me (let me know!), I'm practicing for November right now and as of right now, I've got plenty of time to get that practice in before the real thing starts.

Remember guys - I know it's hard but you have to remind yourself what this is doing to your attention span. If you're seriously addicted than try to cut back from shorts for a day or so and see how it goes.

I'd love to talk to you about this, feel free to do so!

Yours
-A350
P.S. - a really good tip for recovering back attention span unrelated to short-form content is to spend 40 minutes in a session/livestream about something you're interested in/a career you want to do.

For example, I engaged in a Discord QNA session on being a pilot which lasted for approximately 40 minutes.
Good luck! I've never really got drawn in to shorts. I tried Tik Tok but didn't really take to it. I did go through a period where I was getting sucked into the youtube algorithm so I installed an extension that blocked all recommended content. That seemed to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatLvr and Praestat_Mori
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
There is no time like the present! Hope the new gym works out for you
Genuinely currently sat on my bed in my gym kit but procrastinating/scrolling. Its been over an hour. This popped up. Ok. M.O.V.E!!! NOW!!! Thanks @carac No time like the present...

Reactions: CatLvr, Praestat_Mori and carac
C

CatLvr

Arcanist
Aug 1, 2024
😲Ok ... HOW did you know I was looking at beginner's calisthenics videos on YT last night?? 🤦🤦🤦

Soon as my pain meds kick in so I can get out of bed I'm gonna pull one up and do the exercises. Thanks for the kick in the ass! I think ... 🫣

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
Ok I never reported back on Thursday. So that session sadly never happened. That gym don't let you just rock up for the free session, so I couldn't train without paying up. However, I am pleased with myself that I didn't get too annoyed and still used my walk into town for shopping and other errands so it was still worthwhile (and I had some exercise from the long walk to/from town)

I can also report that I have now gone on to use trial sessions in different gyms to 'tick off' my routine weekly weights sessions. And have looked at booking into some classes next week.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, carac and CatLvr
C

CatLvr

Arcanist
Aug 1, 2024
I have been a bit hit and miss doing my calisthenics. On the days I worked I didn't exercise but since my job has me on my feet and moving the entire time I'm there I'm gonna count those days as a "yes, I moved around a bit more than usual" also. The stretch I feel from some of the exercises feels good. I think I have found something I can stick with on days I'm not hurting too bad.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, carac and ConfusedClouds
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Challenge 52: Jigsaw Puzzles

This weeks challenge is Jigsaw Puzzles. You could do these online or in real life, alone or with friends. It's a really good distraction and can relax the mind. It also can give you a feeling of accomplishment when finished.

I will link below a site where you can do collaborative puzzles, so if you aren't feeling up to much you can just join some other people.

Reactions: consider, ConfusedClouds and Praestat_Mori