Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
You're probably right. That's how most large-scale movie studios work, wouldn't be a stretch to think that game development is any different. After all, the flagship games from the big players do cost a lot to make, and you're likely to try to go for broad appeal to get a good return and compromise on artistic vision or innovation in the process.

They are becoming a joke as well because they are making movies that are such trash nowadays, they appeal to almost nobody or their reputation has been so damaged, people simply refuse to see their movies.
By businessmen I meant someone who has been instructed to only care about very specific business metrics in the context of publicy traded companies ( short term profit, maximizing shareholder value, etc ) or venture capital fueled companies ( return of investment selling to a bigger company or going public ) . If that is not the correct term, Im sorry for the confusion.

Those who are making the calls at the executive level at gaming companies are not gamers nor game developers, they are businessmen ( or whatever the correct term ) and they are making a fortune in compensation compared to the rest of the company staff ( game artists, game programmers, game designers, etc ). Thats the fortune I was talking about, Im sorry if I wasnt clear enough. They are there to do their thing, they probably dont care too much about games or if they do, they dont care in the way gamers or small game studios do. Thats my guess. I wrote "imho" because I dont have any evidence to back it up and I may very well be talking nonsense.

I deleted the message because I felt bad calling gamers idiots and thats not what I meant. I dont think they are more idiotic than I am whenever I have to deal with internet providers, banks, etc.

How can they do that if nobody buys their trash, though? Look at the game, Anthem. We don't live in a meritocracy but instead under cronyism. So a lot of these business men do not know what the fuck they are doing. The world today = idiocracy. A lot of the people running these AAA game publishers and movie studios are simply morons. Their thought process is basically, grab a bunch of cash from their customers after BSing them and giving them trash and run away or releasing their vision into the world, no matter what, instead of trying to make as much money as possible and instead of forging an empire. They are literally doing the opposite of what companies like Samsung, Amazon and Apple are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2H2 and RM5998
blanketyblk

blanketyblk

Mage
Jun 9, 2019
To whoever recommend i play My time in Portia.. curse you :-) that game is addictive.

Reactions: H2H2

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I'd hesitate to name my favorite, but I want to mention Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. It's about vampires. Has a wonderful story, filled with dark, grotesque humor and wordplays and loony dialogues.

Reactions: blanketyblk, DoomedxFromBirth and H2H2
bacardirum

bacardirum

Experienced
May 21, 2019
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy on the PS4, I got so into this I had to collect everything and get all the trophies etc, spent a good few months on it, best value for money game ever.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and DoomedxFromBirth
Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019
Fallout: New Vegas beacause it's a Fallout game, but also I grew up in the area. Skyrim, for the beautiful scenery, and it's relaxing for me. And the Dragonage series (yes, even Dragonage 2), love me some Alastair . Husband and I also play loads of board games. Favorite one is Scythe, and Dungeons and Dragons, with our nephew on Skype.

• Wow
Reactions: Lester Cohle, Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth and 1 other person
Darkhaven

Darkhaven

All i have left is memories
May 19, 2019
I m a really big fan of the Red Dead Redemption series.
I, obviously, also love the Elder Scrolls, but then again, who doesn't?
Back in my happier days of childhood i was more into Pokemon and Nintendo,even with lots of games for my PS2. But after 13/14 years old i started to focus more on the PS3.
Now i have a PS4, bought it a year ago, but tbh, i almost haven't touched it since january to play. I have been using it more to watch Netflix.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth and bacardirum
bacardirum

bacardirum

Experienced
May 21, 2019
I m a really big fan of the Red Dead Redemption series.
I, obviously, also love the Elder Scrolls, but then again, who doesn't?
Back in my happier days of childhood i was more into Pokemon and Nintendo,even with lots of games for my PS2. But after 13/14 years old i started to focus more on the PS3.
Now i have a PS4, bought it a year ago, but tbh, i almost haven't touched it since january to play. I have been using it more to watch Netflix.

Same, I use my ps4 more to watch Sky TV, Netflix and Youtube than games ATM :)

Reactions: DoomedxFromBirth and Darkhaven
Daigoro’sDisciple

Daigoro’sDisciple

Jul 6, 2019
I'd probably say 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past' if I had to pick only one game. Though, I don't really like ranking stuff like this. I have to mention a few additional pieces that I consider equally fantastic.

Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Fallout II

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth and SunSetsForever
SunSetsForever

SunSetsForever

Apr 6, 2018
Anything by FromSoftware (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne, Sekiro).
These games have so much depth, they make other games feel shallow and pointless in comparison. And I love that you have to die so much to learn/progress—making death/failure a big part of the experience.

I'm surprised these games only got about two other mentions in this thread. Highly recommend, as they're enlightening experiences. Difficult, but once the game play style clicks, it burrows deep into the psyche and becomes immensely enjoyable.

On a related note: I was glad to hear FromSoftware is coming out with another game, in collaboration with the Game of Thrones author, called "Elden Ring". I trust they'll do a good job with it.

Reactions: DoomedxFromBirth and Help_Me
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Manic miner and Jet set willy , what ? am i too old for this thread ? :pfff:

• Love
Reactions: DoomedxFromBirth, Daigoro’sDisciple and blanketyblk
Help_Me

Help_Me

Gene pool mistake
Oct 21, 2018
These games have so much depth, they make other games feel shallow and pointless in comparison. And I love that you have to die so much to learn/progress—making death/failure a big part of the experience.

I'm surprised these games only got about two other mentions in this thread. Highly recommend, as they're enlightening experiences. Difficult, but once the game play style clicks, it burrows deep into the psyche and becomes immensely enjoyable.

Totally relate to this ! I'm a big fan of DS series. However, it was a big disappointment for me when i heard Sekiro will be just single player game, no cooperation involved. I'm digging more 'From Software' games now and recently i stumbled upon their horror game "Kuon", released back in 2004. Seems very attractive for me !

Reactions: DoomedxFromBirth
OmgDudeWhatNoWay

OmgDudeWhatNoWay

May 27, 2019
I literally just went on a binge shopping RIGHT NOW. Taking advantage of the Steam Sales. Around $116 total for all of these. Sitting at 231 games on my steam account. Feelsbadman.

Just bought all of these at the same time:
-Resident Evil 0 Remaster
-Resident Evil 1 Remaster
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Revelations 2 (4 story episodes)
-Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition
-Evil Within 2
-Metal Gear Solid 5: Definitive Edition (Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain)
-Yakuza 0
-Yakuza Kiwami

I kinda feel guilty.
Kinda.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth, LifeIsACurse and 1 other person
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
new gen consoles are just money pits , fantastic graphics and frame rate etc but most games every time you switch on need an update and then there are all the costly add ons and playability and longevity isn't that good , example imo Red Dead Redemption 2 , looks beautiful but boring as hell .
Very little originality in new games and a lot of rehash but better graphics .
Maybe because i`m old or just wise enough to see how they are screwing people out of their cash because you are paying for an incomplete game that you cant just put in and play till the end with out more ££$$. ? ... Gamecube and X360 are better than Xbox one X :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_20190708_002158.jpg
    IMG_20190708_002158.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: DoomedxFromBirth and LifeIsACurse
Nihil

Nihil

Student
Mar 4, 2019
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. It's been a millenium since I've played that game, but growing up, I considered it my favorite game of all time, and still do. Maybe I should play it again sometime.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth, LifeIsACurse and 1 other person
LifeIsACurse

LifeIsACurse

Jun 24, 2019
Hard to pick one, but I'd say:
- Half-Life 2
- Team Fortress 2 (I was addicted for a good 4 years to that game)
- Metal Gear Solid V
- GTA San Andreas
- Left 4 Dead 2
(I really like Valve games)

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and DoomedxFromBirth
Qbert

Qbert

Arcanist
Jan 6, 2019
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth and 1 other person
Datenasdas

Datenasdas

Jun 17, 2019
Crash Team Racing
Crash Bash
Trackmania Nations Forever

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, DoomedxFromBirth and LifeIsACurse
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
Skyrim PC with mods (more than 1000 hours). Most videogames suck for two reasons: Singleplayer games are meant to be played until you finish the quests and then they have nothing else. Online games force you to grind and play the way they want you to, you don't have any choice.

Reactions: DoomedxFromBirth

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Playing Arcanum currently, which is similar to Planescape and Fallout. It's about technology and magicka, harmoniously residing in a steampunk universe. The end of 19th century, steam trains, zeppelin, elves, dwarves, tech crafting, funny dialogues... the ability to play dumb character, which I'm currently taking advantage of. I find it very comforting when NPCs try to explain stuff in a simplified manner. Troika surely knew how to make diamonds; it's a shame they went bankrupt.

Deleted member 4288

Deleted member 4288

So much pain...
Dec 3, 2018
Anyone here played Alien Isolation? I'm currently playing it for the 3rd time. Nightmare difficulty. Most terrifying game ever ;_;

I love horror games since I get anxious very easily and anxiety from video games helps me to completely forget about real life and fully immerse myself in the game.

I love this game!

Reactions: Maksimka Ai and LifeIsACurse
JSRF

JSRF

Student
May 30, 2018
Anyone here played Alien Isolation? I'm currently playing it for the 3rd time. Nightmare difficulty. Most terrifying game ever ;_;

I love horror games since I get anxious very easily and anxiety from video games helps me to completely forget about real life and fully immerse myself in the game.

I love this game!

Played it years ago when it came out. It was a very refreshing touch in the genre. Too bad all the other Alien games were terrible

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and Deleted member 4288
N

namelessX8

Student
Feb 22, 2019
Skyrim was my first platinum on the playstation. Best 250 + hours of my life. Helped me escape how I felt most of the time.
super mario bros on game boy colour

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, RM5998 and LifeIsACurse
Wolfjob_dayjob

Wolfjob_dayjob

Student
Oct 19, 2018
Does anyone know any fun simply web base game that could be good to past the time on. not farmvile. please!!! :-) something rpg'ish
Realm of the Mad God ...it's not that good (roguelikes..)
Runescape came out on supported mobile devices....finally. I may try go back.

Ixtabba

Ixtabba

I’ve got a war in my mind.
Jul 25, 2019
Baldurs gate series. It kept me sane when I was younger and at my parents... it was my escape from the torture of the household.

Reactions: 262653
FauxEmotions

FauxEmotions

Tod durch das Seil
Mar 28, 2019
The Thrill of the Fight in VR is my favorite. Great game and even better workout haha

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
Realm of the Mad God ...it's not that good (roguelikes..)
Runescape came out on supported mobile devices....finally. I may try go back.
Runescape on mobile revived the game a little. I quit for years, just came back only cause of osrs mobile. Avg players were at like 50k now it's almost doubled to around 100k daily.

xMacy

xMacy

Jul 14, 2019

On a related note: I was glad to hear FromSoftware is coming out with another game, in collaboration with the Game of Thrones author, called "Elden Ring". I trust they'll do a good job with it.
This. Huge ds fan. Played through 3 at least 5 times and have started back with the remastered. Also went through a bloodborne phase, followed by the evil within before getting sekiro in between ds.
Also, had not heard about Elden ring, thanks!

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
Some of my favorites (not necessarily most played) are Hotline Miami and Furi.

K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
Had a SNES and a SEGA mega drive, then a PS1 (which I could just about cope with)
Got a PS2 and PS3 for my son, but that's way beyond my abilities.
No hand/eye co-ordination and reactions are pretty much slow motion.
Last week someone gave me a PS4. Now I need some ideas of games that might be within my extremely limited capacity???

Oblivion Lover

Oblivion Lover

No life, no suffering
May 30, 2019
Honestly I haven't played any new games for a while now, so this might be a bit outdated, but my favorite game so far still is the first God Of War. Relatable character, outstanding plot, awesome brutality, fantastic narration, breathtaking soundtrack, and so it goes. That game is literally perfect in almost all aspects. Unfortunately I doubt I'll ever be able to play the most recent sequel as I just can't afford a PS4. That is particulary hard for me as playing videogames was the most important and enjoyable thing to me during my whole life. Oh well, it's not like life is fair.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ixtabba