• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

D

Dcap1

Feb 10, 2020
My anxiety snd depression are off the charts and I've very few people in my life. I've been told by my therapist and a friend to get a pet for companionship . Not a cat lover so I'm comptenplating getting a puppy. I am a dog lover and wondering if having a pet has made a difference for anyone.

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
It always depends on the person,
a pet is definitely a reason to stay alive and it can give a lot of comfort....but...only so much.
It cant talk back or give you any advice and maybe for some it could feel like a burden to take care of it after a while (again it depends on the individual).
But once you got it, you should act responsible and take good care of it!
Baby animals are also extremely time intensive, older ones might be an option too, if you don't want to invest all of your time.

Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
I love my dog to bits, she's a 4 year old lab. But the first few months were a nightmare and pushed my anxiety through the roof. Puppy blues are a real thing. It really depends on your situation and what type of puppy you go for, but I think all puppy's are hard work. I'd recommend reading up on it and know what you are getting into or look at rescue dogs.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
It can make a big difference. It'll give you something to love, that loves you back. Provide entertainment. Give you structure, a routine, responsibility.

But make sure you're up to it. Pets aren't easy. Baby animals especially are not easy. Puppies require a ton of work and energy. You have to be patient. You have to be prepared to walk them a lot and clean up accidents, because even the best puppies will have them. It's especially difficult this time of year, with weather turning bad.

If you have energy issues or patience issues, maybe it'll overwhelm you. But there are other pets that need less attention but are just as rewarding. Guinea pigs can be great.

I'm speaking from experience. I'm not a dog person, but I got talked into a puppy a couple of years ago. Everyone said it was just what I needed. It was a fucking nightmare for me. I knew I didn't have the energy for it, but I did it anyway. I had to give it up, but it has a very good home now.

I'm currently going through kitten hell. And I love cats. I've had them my whole life. I love this kitten. But my depression is not compatible with caring for other living things. I'm so sad I got talked into this. My 15 year old cat died last Christmas, and I knew I wasn't ready. I didn't want to get another pet at all. I figured it would make it easier to end it when I was ready if I didn't have that to worry about. Now I'm in this mess again.

Then again, the kitten is effectively keeping me alive right now because I don't know what else to do, so...

Last edited:
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I grew up with a dog and have not had one for a few years, and YES...YES , like the other family members here a dog is GREAT! Looking it up on the net and I saw where it can lower blood pressure, help with depression and a mirad of other things. Adog is the BEST! Sorry cat lovers but I am allergic to cats.
It always depends on the person,
a pet is definitely a reason to stay alive and it can give a lot of comfort....but...only so much.
It cant talk back or give you any advice and maybe for some it could feel like a burden to take care of it after a while (again it depends on the individual).
But once you got it, you should act responsible and take good care of it!
Baby animals are also extremely time intensive, older ones might be an option too, if you don't want to invest all of your time.
You are spot on as far as taking great care of the dog. Now all the family members here, I know would take great care of a close friend like a dog, but in my past I have seen puppy mills and the sort and it still makes me mad. You are a very smart, kind and a caring family member and you are the best! Walter

Last edited:
Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
It can make a big difference. It'll give you something to love, that loves you back. Provide entertainment. Give you structure, a routine, responsibility.

But make sure you're up to it. Pets aren't easy. Baby animals especially are not easy. Puppies require a ton of work and energy. You have to be patient. You have to be prepared to walk them a lot and clean up accidents, because even the best puppies will have them. It's especially difficult this time of year, with weather turning bad.

If you have energy issues or patience issues, maybe it'll overwhelm you. But there are other pets that need less attention but are just as rewarding. Guinea pigs can be great.

I'm speaking from experience. I'm not a dog person, but I got talked into a puppy a couple of years ago. Everyone said it was just what I needed. It was a fucking nightmare for me. I knew I didn't have the energy for it, but I did it anyway. I had to give it up, but it has a very good home now.

I'm currently going through kitten hell. And I love cats. I've had them my whole life. I love this kitten. But my depression is not compatible with caring for other living things. I'm so sad I got talked into this. My 15 year old cat died last Christmas, and I knew I wasn't ready. I didn't want to get another pet at all. I figured it would make it easier to end it when I was ready if I didn't have that to worry about. Now I'm in this mess again.

Then again, the kitten is effectively keeping me alive right now because I don't know what else to do, so...
Kittenhood is at least much shorter than puppyhood. You'll have a cat again soon x

• Love
Reactions: k75 and whywere
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
What ever type of animal that helps are person is GREAT! My wish is that the bonding between the animal and preson is so deep that the love flows both ways. I REALLY love all my family members here and whatever type of animal brings a smile and joy to ones life is GREAT!!!!! Wishing everyone a GREAT upcoming week! Walter

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
I have 2 cats that I love to bits. And you can really tell they love me back. I can tell by the way that they are always around me that they know I have depression. Plus when I'm crying they always come to check on me. Another good thing I find about my cats is they help with anxiety. By hugging them their soft fur and breathing is relaxing and peaceful.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I have 2 cats that I love to bits. And you can really tell they love me back. I can tell by the way that they are always around me that they know I have depression. Plus when I'm crying they always come to check on me. Another good thing I find about my cats is they help with anxiety. By hugging them their soft fur and breathing is relaxing and peaceful.
FANTASTIC! You sound like you are such a caring and nice person. I am so glad that your cats help you so much! I am starting to think about getting a dog, I like cats to, it is that I am allergic to cat fur. My very best to you and your loving cats!!! Walter

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Yes ,it can make a huge difference. Pets are wonderful .
(The only thing in the world that would probably pull me back from ending my life would be if I had a furry friend who I loved and who relied on me.)
But remember they come with a lot of responsibility.

• Love
Reactions: whywere
xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
My dogs are the best part of my life. However pets are a huge responsibility, and if you are planning to ctb at some stage please do not get a pet because it wouldn't be fair for them to get attached to you and then you end up ctb and leaving them behind

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
My dogs are the best part of my life. However pets are a huge responsibility, and if you are planning to ctb at some stage please do not get a pet because it wouldn't be fair for them to get attached to you and then you end up ctb and leaving them behind
I TOTALLY agree! You are SO smart, caring, loving and kind. Yes leavinga et behind would be very mean to the pet. Love you with all my heart as such a great family member! Walter:heart::hug:

CrazyMary

CrazyMary

Student
Sep 20, 2020
It all the depends, I loved my previous dog more than life itself, it died early as she was sick with congenital kidney failure. I adopted a new dog a year and a half later and I love it but I am not so happy with it, doesn´t obey, behaves pretty bad. I should say that Covid affects dogs too and I adopted it not as a puppy she was 2 years old aprox.

So my two cents would be, get a dog from scratch so fall in love with it as a puppy. Get one size wise that fullfills your need. Also ask about how they are behaving, hyper active, super calm, so u know what u get into. It should help. But in no way I would stay in this world for my new dog, but for the previous one for sure.

D

Dcap1

Feb 10, 2020
Thanks everyone. I now the puppy routine isn't fun but I've been through that process 3 times. I think I'm looking for unconditional love and companionship.

Reactions: sadworld
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I think it can be really good for the reasons others have pointed out and also want to second that cats are way more sensitive than people realize.

T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
My dog helps to put me in good mood. Seeing him happy all the time makes me "happy". It's like contagious.

Reactions: Life_and_Death
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Kittenhood is at least much shorter than puppyhood. You'll have a cat again soon x
That's very true. And it is fun, too. Kittens are endlessly entertaining but also self sufficient to a point. Which I love. It's just I'm still grieving my last cat, and suicidal, and super depressed. I feel like it's not fair to him that he ended up stuck with me.

Yes, this is what I'm struggling with. I was not going to have another pet for this exact reason. But life happened, and I had to help rescue this baby. And now I'm stuck and unsure what to do. I wish I could explain things to him.

• Hugs
Reactions: xLosthopex
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I wasn't a dog person, was mildly afraid of them based on neighborhood dogs, but we adopted a rescue at 2yrs old. Staffordshire/hound mix so she's got that pittie look and bite. I purposely didn't want a puppy because we had no time to train. The rescue org had full write -ups from the fosters and we got to meet/greet and the org checked us as well. She's been with us 5 years now and is fully part of the family and she does help with my depression, anger, and anxiety. They are like nice 2 year olds. Definitely a time commitment and care for the animal so it will put off ctb plans or actions that may not be the best (ex. drinking to pass out, etc). I was talking about this with the wife and wondering if there was any long term study done to see how animals, especially dogs, can adjust human behavior and not just the other way. There has to be a part of the US at least that would benefit from having the unconditional love of an animal that they may have never had from humans, along with the responsibility of an animal in the house. Probably something I could fund if I win the lottery, there's too much BS to spend money on by the ones who should be doing research.

Reactions: Cherrypea
killjoy

killjoy

Death is more inviting than life
Jan 3, 2021
Have you thought of an older dog from a rescue? 1-3 yrs with basic house training would be less stress to train especially having to be in all the time with lockdowns and one long walk a day is usually enough if not in puppy training.
Also there are tons of dogs for sale at the moment from pp who couldn't handle the training and thought that a puppy for lockdown was a good idea and now dont want the poor things. If I had the cash I'd buy or home 2 tomorrow because ik the love dogs give is immense and hugely cathartic

Reactions: greebo6
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Have you thought of an older dog from a rescue? 1-3 yrs with basic house training would be less stress to train especially having to be in all the time with lockdowns and one long walk a day is usually enough if not in puppy training.
Also there are tons of dogs for sale at the moment from pp who couldn't handle the training and thought that a puppy for lockdown was a good idea and now dont want the poor things. If I had the cash I'd buy or home 2 tomorrow because ik the love dogs give is immense and hugely cathartic
I'm working on the wife to have us get a second rescue. I've created cracks in the "we aren't getting a fence" defense. A pittie would be a good time, and there's lots of rescues. Hell, last week I made some straight up beef broth (just beef bones, no spices/veggies) to jazz up her kibble.

M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
Is there a possibility you can borrow a dog for a while or foster an animal from a rescue centre. This would possibly give you time to ascertain whether you are able to manage the responsibility while having a significant depression AND if there is any benefit to your depression in having a dog.
Animals are wonderful and I in a lucky position to have friends who lend me their dog at times. It does help me as when things are bad I am able to do things for animals that I would not push myself to do for myself. 'Borrowing' means that I am not overwhelmed at the obligation of an animal full time.

I wish you all the very best.

Boxer dogs are the best btw ... just saying lol

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, it can but... you gotta be very responsible and take care of him. After all, he's a living being too.
I'm still alive thanks to my dog, Tomi, who lives with my parents.
I really want to bring him to my apartment but he's happier in their big house.

My only reasons to not have ctb yet are him and my dad.

• Hugs
Reactions: Miss_Takes
Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I hear you. I'm getting a cat to have something to live for and take care of. We'll see if it's enough.

I've had two dogs. They were wonderful and changed my life. If it weren't for MS and not being able to take a dog out as much as it would need, I would still have one.

Reactions: Disappointered
P

paininme

Nov 17, 2020
I love my dog she gets me through all my bad days I would recommend it