• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Livingvsdying25

Livingvsdying25

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2019
I am currently (and have been for a few years now) trying to get rid of the institutionalized aspects of my mental health care.

So in that process, I am having to redefine what self-care is for myself. I feel like I used to put myself through painful experiences in the name of self-care. Put me through common suggestions or pressure to be a certain way when being a person with mental health issues and such.

My version of self-care is for me.

Yesterday I feel like I practiced some of that. I struggle with eating disorders and trauma-related stress drinking etc. BUTTTT I find joy in food and alcohol still.

Also, yesterday I went to the liquor store and I haven't been in months!!!! I got some of my fav things to drink and some edibles yesterday. I also ordered some of my fav foods.

It was nice tbh. I enjoy drinking tasty coolers. I enjoy so many things that I've forgotten while living here. I am going to remember. I am going to do things I enjoy.

Being in a pandemic and in a residential treatment is hard. I am having people constantly comment and try to define what recovery looks like.

Sometimes our versions of self-care are controversial. All that matters for me especially are feeling joy. I have been deprived of joy all my life and that is the biggest thing I'm reclaiming for myself.

I will not allow anyone to define what my progress/effort/recovery looks like anymore.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
People like to define self-care as whatever idealised "healing process" sounds good in their heads. This is one of those things where theory and practice have little or no correlation.

Reactions: ihatemen420