• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
I am confident you are doing your utmost best and have always felt the mods here have been fair, I've never felt targeted despite some questionable posts, it's sad it's come to this but freedom of speech has gone and the world is hell. People like me who no one gives a fuck about but speak their mind will be wiped out soon. I've been threatened with eternal torture chambers and all sorts. The elite are sick.

littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
Maybe I'm missing something or I have some lack of perspective going on, but I personally really don't think that this is a huge catastrophe. There's more to SS than just methods, as @Callie Arcale and a few others already mentioned, but even then, there is already a plethora of information here and can be found upon simply using the search function. IMO, just based on my experience of having been here for 3+ years and having looked at A LOT of threads, all this is really preventing is people asking and answering the same questions over and over again.

It's fucked right up what these anti-choicers are doing, though, in any case – they ultimately don't have a very strong case, so it seems that they try to cover that up by largely using scare tactics, doxxing and intimidation against suicidal and otherwise vulnerable people – the very people they claim to be advocating for; what a joke – who are just trying to find a sense of community, belonging and understanding on a website because they couldn't find that in the "real" world that had so badly failed them. I swear to God, these anti-choicers don't even live on this planet.

Anyway, I know that this wasn't a decision made lightly by @RainAndSadness and the rest of the staff, but ultimately it's about taking the necessary measures to get through this rough patch (of which there have been many, and we've gotten through all of them) and keep SS up and running for us, which I can only imagine is not always easy, so I respect and support this decision.

Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
Maybe I'm missing something or I have some lack of perspective going on, but I personally really don't think that this is a huge catastrophe. There's more to SS than just methods, as @Callie Arcale and a few others already mentioned, but even then, there is already a plethora of information here and can be found upon simply using the search function. IMO, just based on my experience of having been here for 3+ years and having looked at A LOT of threads, all this is really preventing is people asking and answering the same questions over and over again.

It's fucked right up what these anti-choicers are doing, though, in any case – they ultimately don't have a very strong case, so it seems that they try to cover that up by largely using scare tactics, doxxing and intimidation against suicidal and otherwise vulnerable people – the very people they claim to be advocating for; what a joke – who are just trying to find a sense of community, belonging and understanding on a website because they couldn't find that in the "real" world that had so badly failed them. I swear to God, these anti-choicers don't even live on this planet.

Anyway, I know that this wasn't a decision made lightly by @RainAndSadness and the rest of the staff, but ultimately it's about taking the necessary measures to get through this rough patch (of which there have been many, and we've gotten through all of them) and keep SS up and running for us, so I respect and support this decision.
If the PPH stays, it won't really prevent anyone from most information. It will just be a matter of patience on their end and reading it. I do remember questions being asked over and over as well, sometimes in the threads themselves which explained things. I was never too critical since some people are in an emotional place and desperate which can interfere with patience. Regardless, it definitely occurred a lot like you said. Whatever protects the site long term is for the best, many people use this forum for socialization beyond methods.

R

Remember-Me-Not

I think I'm going to be okay.
Dec 10, 2019
I accept and respect this decision. It's unfortunate that people would rather target and scrutinize a small community like this, instead of putting that same time and energy into things like education of mental health, providing resources to those who may not have access, do research on why suicide and mental health issues have been on a sharp incline in the past decade, etc.

I just know that people who are putting heat on this forum are patting themselves on their back and going to sleep at night thinking that they saved all humanity from suicide *sarcasm*.

P

pahel

Sep 19, 2021
I understand and respect the decision. But if I may aak, whats wrong with the kind of talk on methods specifically? You even have said there's nothing illegal about what is discussed here especially about methods. Unless I'm missing something I apologize.
I have skulked this forum for years and never seen anyone actually encourage another to take their life.
I have Observed that we are here because we feel this way and the group are kindred in feelings …

I will miss this place if it goes because I meet people who 'get' me here…

Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
It goes without saying that this policy is less than ideal. However, I do not think it changes the essence of SS. The site's essence is that one has the right to choose what to do with their body and life, something we still affirm here.

The PPH was posted so that members may read it and make an informed decision. All of the information is still here.

I view this decision as making sacrifices to preserve the essence of this community, supporting each other, and affirming choice.

B

Bleak

Student
Nov 10, 2021
It's weird because isn't it standard to ask people who are in crisis what plans (methods) they are considering? I would think that the majority of attempts are impulsive "I'm going to swallow all these pills and go to sleep" types, who might not attempt once faced with the more detailed reality of suicide. Perhaps I am being naive.

LeGuitarist

LeGuitarist

Eternally Lost
Mar 19, 2021
This is a bullshit decision made in fear! By doing this and all the other recent changes you have caved in to the NYT and others like them! You have intentionally done what they could not have forced you to do. This is a death sentence to the site! Congratulations! Prolifers win!
I disagree. The decision was necessary, and had RainAndSadness not made the decision, then the website would've been put under even more heat. I agree with their decision 100%

Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
This is a bullshit decision made in fear! By doing this and all the other recent changes you have caved in to the NYT and others like them! You have intentionally done what they could not have forced you to do. This is a death sentence to the site! Congratulations! Prolifers win!
The pro lifers haven't won just yet. The only time they'll actually win is IF forum gets shut down for good and ONLY IF theyre able to prosecute.. something that i really hope doesn't happen. Like ever.
Oh also just letting yee know that in the quick jump part at top when you click suicide discussion it goes to the archives.. just sayin

Reactions: little helpers
tiaralamb

tiaralamb

binge restrict cycle
Dec 15, 2021
it's sad to see but it had to be done. like many have said, it was this or the site. thank you to the mods for protecting us. i've only had an account for a very short while (literally a couple of days) but i've been visiting the site for about a year and half before then and this community means a lot to me. it makes both myself and others feel a lot less alone in our headspace and i think that should be protected before anything else. it would be horrible if it was shut down entirely. hopefully this is only a temporary measure. ❤️

Reactions: Simba
CyanideSoup

CyanideSoup

Memento mori
Oct 1, 2019
Probably the only one who thinks this but It seems like an odd decision and if anything will bring more attention? The whole "innocent people don't hide" thing? Serge and Marquis spent years claiming that everything here was legal, and that suicidal people had a right to access the information that's on this site. Whether or not people agree with that statement is besides the point.

If what you've said over the years is true and there is nothing illegal going on here, why private the forum? Why ban method discussions but also keep up previous ones? If this is damage control it is a poor attempt. There is mountains of evidence they have probably collected that they could use. They've clearly been here for a long time If there's a case, law enforcement aren't gonna turn around and bin it off because you changed the rules when they started to notice.

Strange decisions.

Sans

Sans

Discord: inkwell_sans
Oct 2, 2019
Could you elaborate more? Any sort of method or reference to method isn't allowed? Is saying "my preferred method is X" or specifying the method we're using in our goodbye threads banned as well, even if we don't go into detail?

Reactions: Rayzieka

May 28, 2021
uhhh why not ignore the attention and literally do nothing until someone tries to sue? I know I'd contribute to your legal fees in such an event and would encourage others around here to help if they're also able. You're doing nothing wrong, are not in the US-legal-wrong and have built this community up on a foundation of freedom to discuss and choose suicide. Whereas this website was created by people who were pushed off of other platforms for their philosophies around suicide, it seems like a remarkable turn or evolution for the substitute they created to now be starting the same process they wanted to escape.

I am maybe less sensitive toward negative judgment from others than most people, but I find it very difficult to care at all about whatever is being said about this place in Amazon Newspaper considering how blatantly obvious of a truth it is that the right to die at one's own hand is timeless and sure. If journalists want to voyeur on here, who cares?

cyanlove

cyanlove

looking for my other half (of my skull)
Dec 23, 2021
I'd love to see Sanctioned Suicide move to alternative online spaces such as a .onion link or just straight up SSB networks. This way, censorship will never be an issue.

It's hard to set up a .onion website especially because the main problem this site has had in the past is people attempting to sell things/scam vulnerable people.

I

Inez

Dec 21, 2021
I'm one of the newbies who heard about this site from the press, it was wonderful to finally have a place to open up and ask questions and not be shut down because suicide is "never" the right choice. I'm so sorry that things have to change now and those people who protest so loudly don't know what they are/have done. There are so, so fucking many things wrong on the internet... why?

Reactions: Grey-zoner
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
Probably the only one who thinks this but It seems like an odd decision and if anything will bring more attention? The whole "innocent people don't hide" thing? Serge and Marquis spent years claiming that everything here was legal, and that suicidal people had a right to access the information that's on this site. Whether or not people agree with that statement is besides the point.

If what you've said over the years is true and there is nothing illegal going on here, why private the forum? Why ban method discussions but also keep up previous ones? If this is damage control it is a poor attempt. There is mountains of evidence they have probably collected that they could use. They've clearly been here for a long time If there's a case, law enforcement aren't gonna turn around and bin it off because you changed the rules when they started to notice.

Strange decisions.
Hey I've got mountain of evidence too but on them groups being mean to us all AND driving some members to off themselves too.. if they made those changes for now is only cause of the stuff that's happening atm.. ofcoors everything here is legal but not everyone on outside sees it that way unfortunately.. its about perception at end of day.. the people looking in from the outside see what the fixers say and what the media say but WE know what goes on here better than anyone else - a loving and caring forum that gives a sense of a community for those struggling and missunderstood and ones who are pushed to the sidelines ^^

S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
No:( what bad news guys, it's so unfair ... ss saved me, i don't know what i would do without this site ... i can't believe it:(

• Hugs
Reactions: erdbeeren

May 28, 2021
uhhh why not ignore the attention and literally do nothing until someone tries to sue? I know I'd contribute to your legal fees in such an event and would encourage others around here to help if they're also able. You're doing nothing wrong, are not in the US-legal-wrong and have built this community up on a foundation of freedom to discuss and choose suicide. Whereas this website was created by people who were pushed off of other platforms for their philosophies around suicide, it seems like a remarkable turn or evolution for the substitute they created to now be starting the same process they wanted to escape.

I am maybe less sensitive toward negative judgment from others than most people, but I find it very difficult to care at all about whatever is being said about this place in Amazon Newspaper considering how blatantly obvious of a truth it is that the right to die at one's own hand is timeless and sure. If journalists want to voyeur on here, who cares?

hey I was not totally read up when I wrote this. I did not realize lawmakers were threatening the administration. I want to say that I am not really read on US Law, but I am quite sure they cannot enact a new criminal law and then convict people for breaking it before it was assented. Like, that would be a bona fide human rights abuse I'm pretty sure? If there are genuine concerns of conviction for those running this site up to now, I am not sure those fears are reasonable or justified and think they probably exist more within the realm of paranoia than as a potential actuality.

Reactions: Passersby
B

bigfishlittlefish

Student
Dec 21, 2021
I'm new here and don't want to get anything wrong - if I were to talk about using an organisation who provide assisted dying, such as Dignitas or Exit International, does that count as talk about methods?

avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020

Anyway, I know that this wasn't a decision made lightly by @RainAndSadness and the rest of the staff, but ultimately it's about taking the necessary measures to get through this rough patch (of which there have been many, and we've gotten through all of them) and keep SS up and running for us, which I can only imagine is not always easy, so I respect and support this decision.
As someone has to be "that person", might as well be me.

They are NOT advocating for ANYTHING. This is a vendetta. A vicious revenge agenda masquerading as "justice" for their loss. And while I empathize 100% with their loss, their actions are deplorable and come from a place of hatred and anger misguided by the dictates of a society deep in delusion and denial of the root causes that drive people to extreme actions and make places like this necessary.

All this simply exaberates the very problems the THINK they are fixing. Throwing an accelerant on a fire simply makes that fire burn longer and more fiercely. But, they will never understand this from such a skewed perspective. All we can do is try and contain the damage done and shelter from the barrage of assaults directed towards our already fragile psyches.

little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
no. this is not temporary.

it always starts small. governments use the same technique. taking away people's rights little by little. this site will soon be unrecognizable, it will lose its essence.

^ THIS. someone has to know polsci so well.
and history, and the status quo.

let's all move to the onions, everyone?

though tbh, that makes shit too hard to access for way too many people. being able to access onions on computer is enough gatekeeping already. cuz first you gotta have a computer. so idk.

Last edited:
Bunyips

Bunyips

Dec 9, 2021
I fucking hate the new york times. They will never get another cent from me. Assholes. I'm sorry you had to make to this decision. I'm sure you didn't take it lightly. Hopefully this website weathers the storm.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I want to say that I am not really read on US Law, but I am quite sure they cannot enact a new criminal law
As far as the U.S. is concerned, the rule of law and the rule of justice is dead.

The United States is a fucking rogue state.

One could argue that things started to get really bad when the Patriot Act that was enacted in the 2000's, but got up-amped immensely when the Great Scamdemic of 2019 was officially initiated in the Western World.

Since scamdemic 2019 our justice system no longer means anything.

Those in power are making it up as they go.

The real question is whether or not they have the actual logistical / physical means of shutting down SS e.g.: access to servers, control of Domain names, etc.

Circles

Circles

There's a difference between existing and living.
Sep 3, 2018
As far as the U.S. is concerned, the rule of law and the rule of justice is dead.

The United States is a fucking rogue state.

One could argue that things started to get really bad when the Patriot Act that was enacted in the 2000's, but got up-amped immensely when the Great Scamdemic of 2019 was officially initiated in the Western World.

Since scamdemic 2019 our justice system no longer means anything.

Those in power are making it up as they go.

The real question is whether or not they have the actual logistical / physical means of shutting down SS e.g.: access to servers, control of Domain names, etc.
I agree cause at this point it seems whatever charges they're going to put on anyone is going to be made up to fit their narrative. Cause I thought after hearing and reading from numerous of mods that what we do here isn't illegal whatsoever and after learning of laws regarding online content, the 1st amendment atleast in the US, and numerous of other things, there's nothing they can do unless they make up new laws. Another thing I've pointed out time and time again is that how the parents want to charge Serge and Marquis of murder when they didn't even interact with their loved ones let alone doing what they consider as encouraging suicide. So how are they even going to make a case when their loved ones killed themselves without even interacting with the admins beforehand? No one forced them to come here, buy the supplies, talk to people, make a goodbye thread, let alone make them make that final decision which is entirely on them and them alone. It's like their trying to say suicide is murder now or whatever. Sorry I'm going on a tangent.

Last edited:
R

rationalis

Student
Nov 25, 2021
Nothing is completely safe from governments including the dark web, onion, cryptocurrency. Public web sites especially require a server and domain registration.

I think the moderators should do everything to protect themselves. The main benefit this site serves is to allow people to express suicidal ideation, and vent, over and over again.

Methods are not changing and talking about them is repetitive. I think people should have a right to discuss it, but don't expect moderators to put themselves at risk. If the ACLU or other group guaranteed legal support that might be different for some moderators.

G

Grey-zoner

Dec 17, 2021
If the ACLU or other group guaranteed legal support that might be different for some moderators.
This might be a connection worth pursuing, in the long run if the situation worsens. Politicians and journalists are hyping up the "big tech harms kids" narrative, so this site will probably continue being at risk of scrutiny and cancellation. It has the potential of being a legal free-speech issue, just as much as other similar situations have in the US.

Reactions: rationalis
R

rationalis

Student
Nov 25, 2021
This might be a connection worth pursuing, in the long run if the situation worsens. Politicians and journalists are hyping up the "big tech harms kids" narrative, so this site will probably continue being at risk of scrutiny and cancellation. It has the potential of being a legal free-speech issue, just as much as other similar situations have in the US.
Free speech is a nice idea, but it seems to have been a long time since any of the big groups like the ACLU in the US genuinely supported free speech.

Today, almost everybody wants to censor somebody. I don't pay much attention to what they are doing these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.