• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grey-zoner

Dec 17, 2021
Free speech is a nice idea, but it seems to have been a long time since any of the big groups like the ACLU in the US genuinely supported free speech.

Today, almost everybody wants to censor somebody. I don't pay much attention to what they are doing these days.
I think 'cancel culture' has become a loaded term, but I agree with what you're saying--the ACLU has definitely started becoming more of a left-wing advocacy group, then a free-speech organization, at least in terms of how they're represented in the media and the cases they take up. Still, it might be a a connection worth pursuing--they're a large group, and a suicide forum would be a classic free speech media issue. I'm sure there would be several lawyers interested in backing us up, if it came to that.

R

rationalis

Student
Nov 25, 2021
I agree, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and several other groups should support the concept.

It seems nearly nobody supports all out free speech today. Everyone is called a fascist or a racist or a communist, even when just asking questions or articulating basic facts. I just don't understand.

UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
This is a bullshit decision made in fear! By doing this and all the other recent changes you have caved in to the NYT and others like them! You have intentionally done what they could not have forced you to do. This is a death sentence to the site! Congratulations! Prolifers win!

While you are entitled to your opinion, your avatar indicates that you have not been here very long.

We have been attacked before, but this time it's different. Very different.

I don't think any of us could have imagined an SS with Marquis and Serge and yet here we are. They recognized that something very dangerous is happening here and that extraordinary measures might be required.

These are some of those extraordinary measures.

Please be gentle with the members of the community. Rain and the rest of us are not the enemy.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Sadly, not everyone has access to the methods in the pph. Most people have to resort to old school methods like hanging or firearms and those are the ones which require lots of particular, technical and personal questions, even though there is still the suicide archive. There will also be more difficulties to find sources for chemical methods. All in all, more risk for severe damage after failed attempts, more pain, more crippling illnesses.

Having access to the pph isn't everything. Far, far from it.

This measure is very detrimental to a lot of suicidal people, especially the poorest ones, even though I understand it was implemented to avoid the shutdown.
Finally it's a positive measure, despite the points I put forward above.

Another user created a safe space to talk freely about methods, and I hope other people will create lots of websites like this one, on the deepweb, on the clearnet, on all search engines, absolutely everywhere.

EVERYONE should have the right to talk about methods when they please. In all languages, all around the world.

I'd like thousands of websites like the old sanctioned suicide.

Last edited:
C

CJP

Dec 9, 2021
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
trump can try to dismantle democracy, maniacs can murder children with assault rifles that most civilized countries won't even sell, elected officials can publicly call for the murder of rivals - etc etc etc ad nauseum - but people who simply do not want to live must be stopped?!?!?! I absolutely do not understand.

Oblivion

Oblivion

Wizard
Aug 2, 2018
WOW this is shocking but, if I'm being honest, not completely surprising considering the recent events that have brought on so much heat, and even forced Marquis to quit.

I am deeply saddened to see such a valuble source of information be lost. I have read your threads, Rain, I know where you stand on this issue and I understand that you have not made this decision lightly. If the choice stands between closing down SS altogether and bannishing discussion about methods, there is only one possible course of action.

I can only hope this decision will be reverted, once things have calmed down.

Thank you for all your efforts!

who's marquis?
We all know this is not temporary, the next thing that's gonna happen is the removal of the archive and after that we become like that loony 7 cups website.
"I UNDERSTAND, THAT MUST HURT LIKE ALOT, YES I CANT IMAGINE HOW YOU FEEL"

ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
Since when is NYT pro-life? I think these are evil people that get off on our endless suffering. We are in hell already….they want us trapped here to torture us and suck our energy.

C

Cuppatea856

May 27, 2020
I think the person leading the efforts to get lawmaker's involved is directing all her anger at this forum, rather than recognizing that, long before I found this site, I had found any suicide method I wanted with a simple web search.

If she could see clearly, the thing to advocate for in the U.S. is "Medicare for all" that would include as many treatment options for people with mental illness as those that are available to cancer patients, for example. In this country, if you don't have money, you don't get ongoing mental health care. The only thing ever offered through insurance at my jobs were 9 weeks of "crisis counseling" per year.

Forums like this exist because every single time I've tried to talk to friends or FAMILY (in particular) the only response I got was along the lines of either not responding and going to the next subject or just saying some thing like "you can't do that" or "don't say things like that."

This is the one and only place I can express my desire to commit suicide among people that do understand me. It makes me truly sad that the NYT article included so many lies and never bothered to talk to any of us, yet had the audacity to scour our profiles.

People that don't have mental illness will never ever understand what my own mind does….I am someone in the 55-64 demographic, and I am so so tired. I have spent close to 43 years trying to deal with this illness.

If this forum gets shut down, it will probably be the thing that leads to my suicide, because I have zero support from anyone else in my life.

So congratulations, NYT and the social justice warriors. You are the ones with blood on your hands.

Last edited:
cambrai33

cambrai33

Traveller
Nov 3, 2021
NYT probably has 2 core objectives, tell a story and make a profit.

I read it and can't even be bothered with an opinion as I was framed to create a narrative that sells subscriptions/copies with the most effect.

My wish would have been something a lot more substantial about resources and help rather than a couple of phone numbers, this to me is the crux of the matter, they didn't do anymore on resources because they just aren't anywhere up to the task.

They knew this but published anyway and early (sooner than planned) deaths will be seen as collateral damage unfortunately

ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
I think the person leading the efforts to get lawmaker's involved is directing all her anger at this forum, rather than recognizing that, long before I found this site, I had found any suicide method I wanted with a simple web search.

If she could see clearly, the thing to advocate for in the U.S. is "Medicare for all" that would include as many treatment options for people with mental illness as those that are available to cancer patients, for example. In this country, if you don't have money, you don't get ongoing mental health care. The only thing ever offered through insurance at my jobs were 9 weeks of "crisis counseling" per year.

Forums like this exist because every single time I've tried to talk to friends or FAMILY (in particular) the only response I got was along the lines of either not responding and going to the next subject or just saying some thing like "you can't do that" or "don't say things like that."

This is the one and only place I can express my desire to commit suicide among people that do understand me. It makes me truly sad that the NYT article included so many lies and never bothered to talk to any of us, yet had the audacity to scour our profiles.

People that don't have mental illness will never ever understand what my own mind does….I am someone in the 55-64 demographic, and I am so so tired. I have spent close to 43 years trying to deal with this illness.

If this forum gets shut down, it will probably be the thing that leads to my suicide, because I have zero support from anyone else in my life.

So congratulations, NYT and the social justice warriors. You are the ones with blood on your hands.
I don't think wanting to commit suicide is a mental illness. some of us are broken from childhood trauma and chronic illness. we are completely sane and rational but surrounded by toxic assholes. i'm literally the sanest person in my family.

Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
I don't think wanting to commit suicide is a mental illness. some of us are broken from childhood trauma and chronic illness. we are completely sane and rational but surrounded by toxic assholes. i'm literally the sanest person in my family.
I could right the EXACT SAME THING. Wow!!!!!

C

Cuppatea856

May 27, 2020
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I was mostly reflecting on my own situation. I know everyone has their own reasons. I should have shown more sensitivity. People with chronic pain and illness, trauma, ptsd, all have valid reasons for wanting to end their lives.

Have you ever watched a YouTube channel called Soft White Underbelly? He interviews homeless people, mostly on skid row in Los Angeles. Virtually ever single person he talks to has some kid of horrible childhood trauma that has directly lead to their lives unraveling (or the inability to create a decent life for themselves at all.)

Again, apologies.

• Love
Reactions: ThriveOrDie
ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I was mostly reflecting on my own situation. I know everyone has their own reasons. I should have shown more sensitivity. People with chronic pain and illness, trauma, ptsd, all have valid reasons for wanting to end their lives.

Have you ever watched a YouTube channel called Soft White Underbelly? He interviews homeless people, mostly on skid row in Los Angeles. Virtually ever single person he talks to has some kid of horrible childhood trauma that has directly lead to their lives unraveling (or the inability to create a decent life for themselves at all.)

Again, apologies.
No worries. I wasn't offended. I am a little sensitive but not that sensitive. My mom, sisters and aunt literally sit around bragging about who is the biggest bitch. They might just find out soon what prize they win for being bitches. I would never ctb over them being bitches but it certainly isn't helping me to be around them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cuppatea856
B

breaking_edge

?
Jul 15, 2020
Dunno if this will be answered here, or anywhere, but...

A number of threads that I have the link for/to, typically method 'megathreads', can't be accessed; I get the screen saying "You do not have permission ..." .

Have some method threads been (re)moved from the archive, or are they now restricted by post count?

The latter restriction also still applies to the site's search function (despite not being mentioned in the Rules); 'new' members (not enough posts) cannot access it.

Are these measures to ward off 'new' members for whatever reason? With the removal of the Resources thread and wiki also, especially newer folk may not even know the threads that are "still here" even exist(ed)...
To me, it's not clear how post count even determines who is a 'genuine user' or not. There are surely lurkers here who are just too apprehensive/anxious, depressed or lethargic (etc.) to post/interact with the forum.
...But I guess I could still just spam the counting game or something... Maybe I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Right2DiePainFree
N

new.solution1

Experienced
Dec 14, 2021
"The old subforum will be locked but still visible to members to eductional purposes."

Does that mean the old threads are still on here somewhere to view? I'm not able to find the carbon monoxide megathread, so am I just not looking in the right place?

ithappens

ithappens

Live free or die
Aug 9, 2018
hey I was not totally read up when I wrote this. I did not realize lawmakers were threatening the administration. I want to say that I am not really read on US Law, but I am quite sure they cannot enact a new criminal law and then convict people for breaking it before it was assented. Like, that would be a bona fide human rights abuse I'm pretty sure? If there are genuine concerns of conviction for those running this site up to now, I am not sure those fears are reasonable or justified and think they probably exist more within the realm of paranoia than as a potential actuality.
Hey, so I am just returning from a month long hiatus (took December to focus on the holidays and myself), and came back to find out all this stuff was going on. I was wondering if you had a link to anything about lawmakers threatening the administration? I read the NYT article and Marquis' resignation, but have yet to see any legal actions being taken and was curious.

C

Cuppatea856

May 27, 2020
Hey, so I am just returning from a month long hiatus (took December to focus on the holidays and myself), and came back to find out all this stuff was going on. I was wondering if you had a link to anything about lawmakers threatening the administration? I read the NYT article and Marquis' resignation, but have yet to see any legal actions being taken and was curious.
I'm having trouble thinking tonight, but just an fyi, this congresswoman from Massachusetts is trying to pass legislation to shut this site down. It's just the kind of meaningless actions politicians love, so O think this site will soon be banned in the U.S.

Attachments

• 92183295-CE5D-4AB7-AD79-117434B193F8.png
    92183295-CE5D-4AB7-AD79-117434B193F8.png
    778.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 98850DAE-AD32-4CFE-A078-994B33E8C29A.jpeg
    98850DAE-AD32-4CFE-A078-994B33E8C29A.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0BC39395-28E5-4F0D-A1A4-B212357B5958.jpeg
    0BC39395-28E5-4F0D-A1A4-B212357B5958.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
A

ab_

"I'd feel trapped if I couldn't CTB at any time."
Feb 15, 2019
What I don't understand is why there isn't a fork of this site on an .onion address or Mastodon that allows discussion of methods? It would be run by completely different people. The more mirrors of SS the better.

Last edited:
VoidDesirer22

VoidDesirer22

A dream inside a locked room
Sep 6, 2021
Yikes, took a small break from this site, felt lonely from New years, and then return to this news.
I get that a lot of the method talk was a repeat, but having some actual human interaction when asking personally can feel comforting.

Glad I got to experience the site for a few months in all its glory. For once in my life I had good luck.

Of course I respect the mods' decision like most people here. Although, some people in this thread seem to think they understand the fear of what the mods are dealing with and are claiming what they would do differently.. which sounds a lot like what these live-laugh-love journalists do to suicidal people.

ithappens

ithappens

Live free or die
Aug 9, 2018
I'm having trouble thinking tonight, but just an fyi, this congresswoman from Massachusetts is trying to pass legislation to shut this site down. It's just the kind of meaningless actions politicians love, so O think this site will soon be banned in the U.S.
Gonna say this as someone who was born and raised in a state next to Massachusetts: Fuck Massholes.
Thank you for letting me know, it's been kind of shocking to come back and see all this has happened in slightly more than a month.

Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
no. this is not temporary.

it always starts small. governments use the same technique. taking away people's rights little by little. this site will soon be unrecognizable, it will lose its essence.

this is not your fault, ss mods. I recodnize that, but please don't gaslight your members.
100%. The ground you surrender will never be recaptured. I'm not going to judge the mods because I'm sure theres more to whats going on than we know. I second the notion of going to the dark web. It'll be ugly, and more risky, but desperate times calls for desperate measures. This is the worst possible time for SS to capitulate and die. We need a plan of action.

little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
I'd love to see Sanctioned Suicide move to alternative online spaces such as a .onion link or just straight up SSB networks. This way, censorship will never be an issue.

It's hard to set up a .onion website especially because the main problem this site has had in the past is people attempting to sell things/scam vulnerable people.

then get vendors and scammers a separate space unassociated with us where they can post whatever ads they want and we ourselves take caution? Idk that's my personal opinion with running SS on onions.

cuz like, those places already exist. on Dread if you know what I mean. just give them an extra ctb page. and there's already onion sites where you can verify vendor credibility other than on the markets itself, at least for drugs. sticky-post the DNMB like it's the PPH and now everyone knows how to protect themselves. even though I can see how that may get us a bad rap. Idk. it's like how the dark web sub moved from Reddit to Dread, I think. that's my two cents. everyone go get TAILS so they can be almost completely safe.

Nothing is completely safe from governments including the dark web, onion, cryptocurrency. Public web sites especially require a server and domain registration.

I think the moderators should do everything to protect themselves. The main benefit this site serves is to allow people to express suicidal ideation, and vent, over and over again.

Methods are not changing and talking about them is repetitive. I think people should have a right to discuss it, but don't expect moderators to put themselves at risk. If the ACLU or other group guaranteed legal support that might be different for some moderators.

I think this post actually gets me somewhere. also @ManWithNoName and @Circles. theirs. if still run on clearnet, we prolly wanna change how modding is done so it's not a few people running the risks for everyone. maybe rotate who's modding? I have wanted to say stop modding altogether but that's too ignorant of what anti-choicers can do. and like, how do we get an attorney for this site? like they do for unions and stuff. since we aren't breaking any laws here. I don't exactly know how/if public defendants work with this. and the ones I've had in the past are all motherfuckers, so. tell me what y'all think.

Last edited:
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Visionary
May 5, 2020
This is how I want to feel about it

Charlie Day Reaction GIF

This is how I really feel about it

hate it GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivion
Status