• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

As a musician, this quote is very important to me. And yet, I have an ex who actually got mad at me for quoting this; go figure. I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason for the objection, although it was never shared with me, so damned if I know what it is. But it reminded me of when I was a teen, and was discouraged from music, from well-meaning people who worried about my career prospects, down to my own mother who told me I couldn't sing when I was a small child up to my teen years when she told me "I"ll fall flat on my face" (without having even heard me play.) The irony was that I would sneak onto her guitar and electric organ while she was at work, even at the risk of punishment if caught. Music was only allowed to be played by her, ironically. When she finally heard me perform at a school talent show in my senior year, and I WON, she changed her "tune", of course..."he gets it from ME." No, I got it in SPITE of you.

But for me, it's true. Life without music WOULD be a mistake. Ever since I was a child, I was musically minded. And it's been one of the few things that have kept me going through my darkest times, since my father's suicide when I was four, to years of abuse at home, to the present. It's not just entertainment, to me. I've found therapy in it, and even purpose. Without it, I don't know how I would have survived. But I don't do "what ifs" of the past; it's what WAS that I count. And music was the thing. So whatever valid reason my ex may have have for objecting, what >I <objected to was that near-hostile reaction that outright rejected the value of music as my means of survival . So anyone who would try to take that away from me...well, it's one thing when it comes from strangers, but another when it comes from the people who supposedly love you.

One of the few reasons I continue is that I believe I have a RIGHT to be in this world. And while I'm hear, I try to make it a little better by writing my own. I'll proabably never be famous for it, but even so, if others can spread pain and misery, then there's room for my music. While my time here is limited, the music will still be here, even if it's not heard. It will be my mark that I was here, and my statement that misery and pain is not the only thing that exists, despite the intentions of those would prefer it that way.

Last edited:
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
There used to be an annual bluegrass festival near here and it was a treat to wander around the campground and listen to the small groups of musicians that would gather into groups of 2, 3, 4, or 5 and play with each other showing a love of the music that transcended all else.

I had a musician friend that like Jazz but would never play professionally because he said that they were all on heroin. However, that didn't quench his love of the music. There are some music fields that have some very real and potentially serious problems. Perhaps that was what your ex meant.

Even the general field of music as entertainment can bring with it the problems associated with being an entertainer. I have known a number of musicians who have day jobs but get together on the weekends to feed on their love of music.

W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
There used to be an annual bluegrass festival near here and it was a treat to wander around the campground and listen to the small groups of musicians that would gather into groups of 2, 3, 4, or 5 and play with each other showing a love of the music that transcended all else.

I had a musician friend that like Jazz but would never play professionally because he said that they were all on heroin. However, that didn't quench his love of the music. There are some music fields that have some very real and potentially serious problems. Perhaps that was what your ex meant.

Even the general field of music as entertainment can bring with it the problems associated with being an entertainer. I have known a number of musicians who have day jobs but get together on the weekends to feed on their love of music.

I doubt that's what my ex was thinking of, because I was not in bands or the scene at the time. And it was clear at that time that I was about the music itself, not the lifestyle.

I'm well-aware of the dangers of the musician lifestyle, unfortunately. I used to play in rock bands, and lost one singer to heroin. There is great joy in those moments when playing together with others, when everything "clicks". However, there's the dark side of it all that tears people apart, the same games of money, power, Machiavellian gestures for control, betrayal...just like every other group endeavor. After a few attempts, I just went solo and focused on composing and recording, and found that more satisfying, artistically and emotionally.

There's a joke among musicians that goes "I'll get up on stage and play for free for two hours; it's the other 22 hours in the day you have to pay me for." That's how I am. For me, it was never about the money or fame, it truly is about the music. And I don't want that corrupted with the garbage of life when it's music that sustains me through it. I don't even like to sing about it, which is why I prefer instrumental music.

Last edited:
stevieu

stevieu

~ Sleepwalking through every day ~
Feb 10, 2020
Music is a healer - it's a lifeline, a coping mechanism and a gateway to every emotion. I couldn't imagine an existence without it.

As with many other things, some people don't 'get' it, but that will always be the way. When you can 'feel' music through the hairs and goosebumps on your skin, you know it's doing what it sets out to do :smiling:

Keep writing, keep playing - keep expressing!

ansiedad

ansiedad

Alone
Dec 29, 2020
Music is a big reason, big guilty, keep me alive.
I'm so glad with the art, is a big reason becuse of that I'm still alive. Specially because the music.

clownangel

clownangel

Student
Sep 25, 2019
Even at my worst music is one of the few things I still enjoy tbh. I'm glad that both those that make it have it as an outlet & the rest of us get to benefit from listening.