• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
something that you dont see here. or see very rarely. im asking because i have capgras syndrome and no one else seems to be mentioning an "off the wall" problem.

for those of you curious: Capgras syndrome is a psychological condition. It's also known as "impostor syndrome" or "Capgras delusion." People who experience this syndrome will have an irrational belief that someone they know or recognize has been replaced by an impostor.

it typically effects humans but for me its animals. specifically my pets. i try to ignore it though because after leaving the last impostor situation i realized how irrational it was and that this was actually a problem. since then ive been trying really hard to believe my kitties are really mine but some days its difficult :'(

Last edited:
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I have trichotillomania, aka hair pulling disorder. I developed this when I was very young. I constantly pull at my hair when I'm stressed or anxious, especially any knots in the hair. I used to actually rip the hair out of my head, sometimes pulling out entire strands ;-; Nowadays, I've gotten that under control, though. I still pull on the hair a lot, but I no long actually rip it out of my head. It's an embarrassing affliction to grapple with everyday

Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
I have anhidrosis. Which is the inability to sweat and cool my body temperature properly. I have to be very cautious in the summer or while exercising/over exertion. Especially if I have a fever I need to be vigilant. When I overheat my body breaks out in a bunch of red dots and it's a weird type of itching. Then I'll go into a seizure. I've been hospitalized a few times due to overheating. I've learned to manage it fairly well over the years. Last real problem with it was back in 2013 packing and moving from my apartment in August.

CozyTime

CozyTime

Death should be a free choice
Feb 16, 2019
I feel like my left arm doesn't belong to my own body, it feels out of place and causes me genuine discomfort. Usually called body integrity dysphoria, luckily I don't have it as intense as some others do and I can live with it without much issue in my day to day life but whenever I pain attention to it, it becomes painfully obvious.

It's a weird feeling to describe but its almost like a constant pressure inside my arm, discomforting as hell. :ahhha:

TheAntidote87

TheAntidote87

I'm gonna try to nullify my life
Jul 26, 2020
I have anhidrosis. Which is the inability to sweat and cool my body temperature properly. I have to be very cautious in the summer or while exercising/over exertion. Especially if I have a fever I need to be vigilant. When I overheat my body breaks out in a bunch of red dots and it's a weird type of itching. Then I'll go into a seizure. I've been hospitalized a few times due to overheating. I've learned to manage it fairly well over the years. Last real problem with it was back in 2013 packing and moving from my apartment in August.
I have this too. I went from sweating in my sleep excessively to no long being able to sweat at all.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I suspect I have Alice in Wonderland syndrome. I thought I was just dissociating a lot, but after reading up on it and seeing other people's experiences, perhaps this is what's going on instead

It would explain why my therapist looked at me oddly when I tried to describe my dissociation and suggested I see a neurologist.... But, I haven't bothered to seek one out. So I really can't say whether I'm dissociating or dealing with the above.
I have trichotillomania, aka hair pulling disorder. I developed this when I was very young. I constantly pull at my hair when I'm stressed or anxious, especially any knots in the hair. I used to actually rip the hair out of my head, sometimes pulling out entire strands ;-; Nowadays, I've gotten that under control, though. I still pull on the hair a lot, but I no long actually rip it out of my head. It's an embarrassing affliction to grapple with everyday
I do this too, especially on my legs. My legs look so, so bad.

Last edited:
TheAntidote87

TheAntidote87

I'm gonna try to nullify my life
Jul 26, 2020
I'm sorry you also have this. It can be very annoying. I never had the ability to sweat, so I would assume mine is considered congenital. Do you know what caused yours?
Oh wow, I am sorry that you have to deal w this, but that is so interesting to me. Not having anything to compare it to must be a strange feeling. Definitely sucks though! I'm glad you're managing. Yes, a stupid doctor hit my spine with a needle during a diagnostic lumbar puncture, it caused autonomic dysfunction and sweating is one of the few things I am dealing with.

muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I suspect I have Alice in Wonderland syndrome. I thought I was just dissociating a lot, but after reading up on it and seeing other people's experiences, perhaps this is what's going on instead

It would explain why my therapist looked at me oddly when I tried to describe my dissociation and suggested I see a neurologist.... But, I haven't bothered to seek one out. So I really can't say whether I'm dissociating or dealing with the above.

I do this too, especially on my legs. My legs look so, so bad.

I'm sorry you suffer from this as well. It really sucks. It's almost impossible for me to stop doing it even though I tell myself I will- willpower alone just isn't enough

ladolcemorte

ladolcemorte

Experienced
May 5, 2019
I don't know if it is "weird", but I have something relatively rare that a lot of health professionals aren't familiar with and I get so tired of explaining it. It is called "interstial cystitis" and is basically chronic symptoms of a bladder infection without the infection. I take pills that turn my urine orange.

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
I have Synesthesia. I almost physically see colours when I hear music, letters and numbers are represented in specific colours. I was born with it but didn't have a name for it until I was in university studying music. I answered a queston about a piece of music using colours and the prof stopped the class and just kept firing notes at me to see my reactions. Then she brought me to other professors, telling them "she's got it!" because it's so rare. I've learned how to sort of turn it down (especially when I drive haha).

O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
I have SdAM

What is SDAM?
Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory (SDAM) refers to a lifelong inability to recollect or re-experience personal past events from a first-person perspective.

i Also always wondered if i had aiws. If you look deeper into the more diagnostic rather than hallucinatory it seems they are closely related to migraines and I get another very rare migraine cause hemiplegic migraines. it basically mimics a stroke)

I wonder if there is a relation++++++++

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
I have SdAM

What is SDAM?
Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory (SDAM) refers to a lifelong inability to recollect or re-experience personal past events from a first-person perspective.

i Also always wondered if i had aiws. If you look deeper into the more diagnostic rather than hallucinatory it seems they are closely related to migraines and I get another very rare migraine cause hemiplegic migraines. it basically mimics a stroke)

kinda like youre watching your memory and not actually apart of it? or say theres you and someone else in the memory and youre like a third person thats just standing there? the second example is a better explanation of what im talking about.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: deadgirlahsatan
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
Bipolar, odds 1b, so sometimes I'm literally replaced and impersonated.
so its like capgras but instead of others getting impersonated its yourself? yeah, i can see where those kinds of thoughts can come from.

• Hugs
O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
kinda like youre watching your memory and not actually apart of it? or say theres you and someone else in the memory and youre like a third person thats just standing there? the second example is a better explanation of what im talking about.

That's the description of the disorder, but for me its not a perfect fit. I cannot relive a memory at all, in fact I dont remember anything at all. I retain a couple of facts that something that happened and that's about it.

like, I know we went to TN last year, but that's the extent of it. I have no idea what happened, no idea if i had good time, or what we did.

The same is true for relationships. I'll remember I dated someone, but have no real idea what the experience was like, why we split etc

• Hugs
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
That's the description of the disorder, but for me its not a perfect fit. I cannot relive a memory at all, in fact I dont remember anything at all. I retain a couple of facts that something that happened and that's about it.

like, I know we went to TN last year, but that's the extent of it. I have no idea what happened, no idea if i had good time, or what we did.

The same is true for relationships. I'll remember I dated someone, but have no real idea what the experience was like, why we split etc
i see things in third person more then anything. but there is the occasional time my husband will ask me something and ill say...yeah that happened but i cant tell you anything about it. i always just thought this was the way memories worked.

• Hugs
glittergore

glittergore

the sea, the sea
Jun 16, 2020
I have a rare neurological disorder called Intracranial Hypertension that was likely caused by long-term Lithium usage. It's where the cerebrospinal fluid surrounding your brain is elevated beyond a normal amount. It can cause a variety of symptoms, most commonly headaches and transient visual phenomenon. The primary morbidity is blindness if not treated due to pressure from the fluid on the optic nerves.

Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
Woah, I've read a bit about Capgras but I've never met anyone who has it (to my knowledge at least). I can only imagine how hard it must be living with it. My heart goes out to you, and everyone else in this thread.

Personally, I dont think I have any single weird disorder but my symptoms are the more weird part. I get obsessive thoughts. I don't have diagnosed OCD, nor do I think I have it, but I do have bipolar disorder which can cause obsessive thoughts so my thought is thats the correlation?
One example is I check everything I drink or eat for hair, dust, particles, and if there's any I just straight up throw them out, I cant just take the hair out. This sounds pretty minuscule but it can get really exhausting and upsetting, and you never realize how much this applies to until you actually check. I also have two big dogs so hair is hard to avoid. I also have a binge eating disorder so I have a strong emotional connection with food. And sometimes I wait all day super excited to eat something only for a dog hair from my clothes or whatever to fleck off into my food. So often times I'll just eat naked, which is definitely construable as weird lol.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
Personally, I dont think I have any single weird disorder but my symptoms are the more weird part. I get obsessive thoughts. I don't have diagnosed OCD, nor do I think I have it, but I do have bipolar disorder which can cause obsessive thoughts so my thought is thats the correlation?
One example is I check everything I drink or eat for hair, dust, particles, and if there's any I just straight up throw them out, I cant just take the hair out. This sounds pretty minuscule but it can get really exhausting and upsetting, and you never realize how much this applies to until you actually check. I also have two big dogs so hair is hard to avoid. I also have a binge eating disorder so I have a strong emotional connection with food. And sometimes I wait all day super excited to eat something only for a dog hair from my clothes or whatever to fleck off into my food. So often times I'll just eat naked, which is definitely construable as weird lol.
I'm like that with some things. The biggest one is making sure the door is locked when I go out. I'll lock the door then try to open it. If I don't try to open it after I lock it I will get out of the vehicle and go back and check. If I don't remember or if I don't close the gate behind me to signify that I checked I will go back and check. One day I checked like 5 times because I wanted to make 100% sure my kitties were safe

Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
I'm like that with some things. The biggest one is making sure the door is locked when I go out. I'll lock the door then try to open it. If I don't try to open it after I lock it I will get out of the vehicle and go back and check. If I don't remember or if I don't close the gate behind me to signify that I checked I will go back and check. One day I checked like 5 times because I wanted to make 100% sure my kitties were safe

Omg yes I used to do this too but specifically with nighttime. We usually don't lock our doors when someone's home, especially since I have two loud ass 130 lb mastiffs. Nighttime, though, I like pace around my downstairs area making sure everything is locked like over and over. I'm mega paranoid at night for some reason. I guess because my dogs are sleeping at night :O

• Hugs
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I have SdAM

What is SDAM?

I'm curious about your post. You remember things from a non FP perspective? How do you remember things, is it like you're looking down at yourself or something?

Also, I've read about the connection between aiws and migraines. Interestingly, I've had weird "migraines" just over my eye and chronic visual snow for at least five years. Nothing is wrong. Also started having rare ocular migraines a few years ago. I wonder if it's connected to the possible aiws?

O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
I'm curious about your post. You remember things from a non FP perspective? How do you remember things, is it like you're looking down at yourself or something?

Also, I've read about the connection between aiws and migraines. Interestingly, I've had weird "migraines" just over my eye and chronic visual snow for at least five years. Nothing is wrong. Also started having rare ocular migraines a few years ago. I wonder if it's connected to the possible aiws?

I dont remember things at all really. I Retain a few facts but there is no visual memory of any kind. So I may know I went on a cruise but i couldnt visually what we did, where we went, often even who i went with.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I dont remember things at all really. I Retain a few facts but there is no visual memory of any kind. So I may know I went on a cruise but i couldnt visually what we did, where we went, often even who i went with.
I see... That sounds very rough. :(

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
something that you dont see here. or see very rarely. im asking because i have capgras syndrome and no one else seems to be mentioning an "off the wall" problem.

for those of you curious: Capgras syndrome is a psychological condition. It's also known as "impostor syndrome" or "Capgras delusion." People who experience this syndrome will have an irrational belief that someone they know or recognize has been replaced by an impostor.

it typically effects humans but for me its animals. specifically my pets. i try to ignore it though because after leaving the last impostor situation i realized how irrational it was and that this was actually a problem. since then ive been trying really hard to believe my kitties are really mine but some days its difficult :'(
Can I see your cats? I need kitties rite now :("

Reactions: Deleted member 4993