• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Kimlett

Kimlett

Jan 7, 2024
Or at least a job they can bear.

I just can't cope with office job. I feel much better working at home, but most companies don't seem to like that. I would like to ask if you like your job or which jobs do you think are suitable for people with depression and suicidal thoughts.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
I am not able to work much because of my depression. Maybe around 10 hrs a week. I work as a freelance journalist and I used to love my job. Always busy with fresh new subjects to write about. I'm very curious and always willing to learn. I love to write and see my work publicised

But with this depression I can't think straight. I can only think negative about issues that wouldn't bother me much before. I.e. I'm contemplating calling someone but I don't know if I feel good enough to do that. I feel anxiety all day.

HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
Super small family owned retail. They treat their employees pretty well and are a dim light store to reduced headaches for everyone. I get to wear long sleeves to hide my SH scars so almost nobody has seen them. I get paid almost 17 $ an hour but I'm getting a raise next month.

They're so positive and friendly except I did slightly hint at depression once and everyone stopped talking to me until I was happy again plus they've moved departments of some employees who openly expressed mental health problems. So it's not a place about open honesty, but as long as I bottle everything in and pretend to be happy, I think I can say I enjoy it. 8/10.

Last edited:
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Yeah, I'm a Sanskrit scholar, actually in India. I love the language and its culture, though the life course that brought me here from my native Canada was a total disaster, and if I could go back again, I'd stay in Toronto and wash dishes for the rest of my life, reading Sanskrit at night.

K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I work full time and this is the 25th year with the same company. I like my job as It is helping vulnerable people - though it can be stressful as well. Since 2020, I am working from home full time and this suits me better - I probably would have died by now if I had kept going into the office as my mental health has deteriorated badly since 2020. Now all my work is done over the phone and online - and less masking (I have complex PTSD and am autistic) to do when working from home.

C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
I find working a major purpose for me, but can't deal with future planning/commitment so anything more than menial seasonal jobs are a struggle.

Very much prefer 'doing' jobs that are usually on my feet and keep me and my hands distracted and busy and are fairly autopilot - stuff like retail, warehouse, kitchen porter, outdoors stuff.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I find working a major purpose for me, but can't deal with future planning/commitment so anything more than menial seasonal jobs are a struggle.

Very much prefer 'doing' jobs that are usually on my feet and keep me and my hands distracted and busy and are fairly autopilot - stuff like retail, warehouse, kitchen porter, outdoors stuff.
How and why does working give you purpose?

Reactions: Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Money is the driving force in and central aspect of this world. Everything depends and relies on money
It's not work that matters. It's how to occupy critical/powerful/overpaid positions in the society.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
beaten96

beaten96

Jan 26, 2024
God no.. I think everybody hates their job.. look at the world.. what's the point of giving a fuck beyond bare minimum to get paid anymore.. and all your co workers are ten times crazier than you somehow.. the best is when jobs try to act like everybody is "family".. no the fuck you isn't.. I fucking hate work.. I used to go above and beyond and work super hard.. it does not matter.. do not give a fuck above staying to not get fired.. all you gotta do..

Kimlett

Kimlett

Jan 7, 2024
God no.. I think everybody hates their job.. look at the world.. what's the point of giving a fuck beyond bare minimum to get paid anymore.. and all your co workers are ten times crazier than you somehow.. the best is when jobs try to act like everybody is "family".. no the fuck you isn't.. I fucking hate work.. I used to go above and beyond and work super hard.. it does not matter.. do not give a fuck above staying to not get fired.. all you gotta do..
I totally agree. But still I've heard some people say they like their job. And most of the people want to keep living despite working most of their waking time. I don't know, I don't get it.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
It's not work that matters. It's how to occupy critical/powerful/overpaid positions in the society.
How do you occupy those positions? What are they? Why are they critical/powerful/overpaid? What makes them have more "value" than other positions?
That's because work is literally modern day slavery lol. I doubt anyone enjoys working; they only do it because they have to survive. This world is evil and messed up; we're all brought into this world to be slaves to the system and chained to the rhythm

Last edited:
SomewhatLoved

SomewhatLoved

Bringing out the Dead and Searching for the Living
Apr 12, 2023
I work in retail and I'm a student paramedic. I love the people I work with, and even though most of my labour is menial I feel like I really like going to work because it's a distraction and I like the people. I love what I'm studying, too. It feels like really it's the only reason I keep going sometimes. The problem though is that I've never been super career orientated. I like what I do, but at the end of the day to me this is all just a career and a way of putting food on the table.

I'm unsatisfied with my personal life, and I feel like that's what matters.

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
How do you occupy those positions? What are they? Why are they critical/powerful/overpaid? What makes them have more "value" than other positions?

That's because work is literally modern day slavery lol. I doubt anyone enjoys working; they only do it because they have to survive. This world is evil and messed up, we're all brought into this world to be slaves to the system and chained to the rhythm
I wish I had the answers to your questions. Then it would require some executive ability to carry it out. If I had that ability, I would have taken my own life already. Successful people are bound to be successful, one way or the other.

Reactions: sserafim
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I work as a videogame programmer and I like my job. Great benefits, work life balance, bonuses, good salary and the projects are interesting and challenging. This career is my dream job so it's easy to bear and I'm very skilled at it. It was just hard to get into, I had to move country and took me some previous less great jobs to get to this one.

Working helps my self esteem since I can see my qualities shine and I'm rewarded with promotions or salary increases. When one works a job they like at a good company, working can be a breeze and give a lot of purpose to life. There is always times of stress, complex work, tight deadlines and people have high expectations of me due to my seniority but the company is good to respect work life balance.

The key is finding the thing you enjoy doing and not staying at bad companies, knowing your worth and improving your skills so you can work at the best places.

C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
How and why does working give you purpose?

Sorry for the jumbled essay below, but was helpful for me to try thinking it through. Thanks for asking!

I always have always still turned upto work when I've struggled with doing anything for myself. Autopilot - its just been non negotiable. I value being reliable. Worked since I was 16 and before then a paper round and stuff like neighbours car washing/ cat feeding/ babysitting.

Maybe the external purpose validation where I have no value or motivation for doing stuff for myself.
That and spending my teens working out how to save to go on a long haul overseas sports trip and then short haul expedition that my parents couldn't (understandably) justify the costs for. So I guess that got me in the habit of saving a bit.

Its hit me super hard in the past few years where I have struggled with more 'settled' jobs (people saying I'm clever/smart when I can't then keep up with the 'right' bits, major fraud/imposter issues, frustrated when working alongside folk who give zero shits). And I usually get spooked by any responsibility that could impact welfare of others.

Especially hit hard by an attempted significant career change/retrain a few years back. Fallen flat on my face spectacularly, thrown toys out of my pram inappropriately (despite supposedly being an adult in my 30s) and can't explain why or how I'm struggling, just that I'm incapable/shit. Ended in me quitting and now been unemployed a while apart from a few temp/seasonal roles.

I do miss it - I can't trust myself just sitting about, I get too twitchy, its not good. But now I also can't trust myself taking on any longer term or complex work for risk of messing with people and stitching them up. (I don't feel bad for the companies/bosses, but do for the colleagues who get left in the shit short staffed for my incompetence as/when I fuck up or quit). Its happened multiple times now and so I've gone MIA and isolated away from my previous lives. Damage limitation. But my savings are now disappearing faster than my odd temp jobs restock them.

Kimlett

Kimlett

Jan 7, 2024
Sorry for the jumbled essay below, but was helpful for me to try thinking it through. Thanks for asking!

I always have always still turned upto work when I've struggled with doing anything for myself. Autopilot - its just been non negotiable. I value being reliable. Worked since I was 16 and before then a paper round and stuff like neighbours car washing/ cat feeding/ babysitting.

Maybe the external purpose validation where I have no value or motivation for doing stuff for myself.
That and spending my teens working out how to save to go on a long haul overseas sports trip and then short haul expedition that my parents couldn't (understandably) justify the costs for. So I guess that got me in the habit of saving a bit.

Its hit me super hard in the past few years where I have struggled with more 'settled' jobs (people saying I'm clever/smart when I can't then keep up with the 'right' bits, major fraud/imposter issues, frustrated when working alongside folk who give zero shits). And I usually get spooked by any responsibility that could impact welfare of others.

Especially hit hard by an attempted significant career change/retrain a few years back. Fallen flat on my face spectacularly, thrown toys out of my pram inappropriately (despite supposedly being an adult in my 30s) and can't explain why or how I'm struggling, just that I'm incapable/shit. Ended in me quitting and now been unemployed a while apart from a few temp/seasonal roles.

I do miss it - I can't trust myself just sitting about, I get too twitchy, its not good. But now I also can't trust myself taking on any longer term or complex work for risk of messing with people and stitching them up. (I don't feel bad for the companies/bosses, but do for the colleagues who get left in the shit short staffed for my incompetence as/when I fuck up or quit). Its happened multiple times now and so I've gone MIA and isolated away from my previous lives. Damage limitation. But my savings are now disappearing faster than my odd temp jobs restock them.
I feel the same in some aspects. I hate the sense of commitment, it overwhelms me to try to fit in a group of people that are not my friends or family, pretend I care about the goals of the company, and also facing big responsabilities, during god knows how many years (if I manage not to have a breakdown and quit in three months). Smaller jobs seem better since they lack that feeling of commitment and "this is it for the rest of my life", but they're hard anyway.
I work as a videogame programmer and I like my job. Great benefits, work life balance, bonuses, good salary and the projects are interesting and challenging. This career is my dream job so it's easy to bear and I'm very skilled at it. It was just hard to get into, I had to move country and took me some previous less great jobs to get to this one.

Working helps my self esteem since I can see my qualities shine and I'm rewarded with promotions or salary increases. When one works a job they like at a good company, working can be a breeze and give a lot of purpose to life. There is always times of stress, complex work, tight deadlines and people have high expectations of me due to my seniority but the company is good to respect work life balance.

The key is finding the thing you enjoy doing and not staying at bad companies, knowing your worth and improving your skills so you can work at the best places.
I'm so glad you enjoy your work. I feel like I would not be able to like any office job whatsoever, no matter how good it is, even if it's making videogames or animated movies and such cool stuff. In fact, creative work makes me feel more anxious.

Last edited:
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I feel the same in some aspects. I hate the sense of commitment, it overwhelms me to try to fit in a group of people that are not my friends or family, pretend I care about the goals of the company, and also facing big responsabilities, during god knows how many years (if I manage not to have a breakdown and quit in three months). Smaller jobs seem better since they lack that feeling of commitment and "this is it for the rest of my life", but they're hard anyway.

I'm so glad you enjoy your work. I feel like I would not be able to like any office job whatsoever, no matter how good it is, even if it's making videogames or animated movies and such cool stuff. In fact, creative work makes me feel more anxious.
You're right about creative work generating more stress, that was my reason to not pursue art professionally. It was something too close to my heart to be a profession, I would have tied all my selfworth to it and it wouldn't have ended up well.

I'd say programming is half creativity half logic so it's easier to bear but I do understand the fear, you're not wrong.

BojackHorseman

BojackHorseman

The View From Halfway Down
Feb 8, 2023
Well I can tell you what NOT to do.
I work in a hospital lab as a medical laboratory technician and I hate it. Its very stressful, very underpaid, and very disrespected by doctors and nurses even though we have degrees too. The work itsself isnt bad, but the work environment and the hours and the way we're treated make it unbearable.