• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Is your job fulfilling?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
Working makes up a considerable part of most people's daily lives. If you work full-time, more than half of your typical weekday might be used up (working hours, commuting, preparations, etc.), and it might also affect the rest of your free time—fretting, anxiousness, restlessness, etc. Therefore, and due to the need for most people to work to afford existence, it significantly impacts those working. For that reason, I'd say it is of some import (at least in my opinion) that one's vocation be fulfilling or at least of neutral impact (if you're solely working to support your passion, such as writers and artists with day jobs).

I'd like to know if you guys gain anything besides money from your jobs. Is it fulfilling? Does it enrich your life? Does it not? I'll keep the poll itself simple (yes/no/neutral), but I'd also love to read whether you plan to change lanes at some point if your job's only helpful in staying afloat. Do you plan on pursuing another occupation/branch/sector? A degree for better opportunities, perhaps? Are you not and hoping to CTB in the foreseeable future so that your employment isn't consequential to you?

Thanks for your answers and insights. And yes, this might be more of a recovery thread, but I thought it would fit best off-topic.

ClaudeCTTE

ClaudeCTTE

Misunderstood...
Aug 22, 2023
To be honest, I'm doomed to have shitty jobs because I don't have a college education.
Living in a small town is frustrating for me, mainly because job opportunities are very limited and I'll never be able to pursue the things I enjoy.

In my town, almost all careers and jobs are related to agriculture, livestock, and production, but personally, none of these things interest me.
I like art and music, but the people in my town have such low culture that they don't appreciate art and instead value the garbage that is produced in my country, that is, the disgusting music that romanticizes drug trafficking, money, and organized crime.
My family tells me that if I pursue art, I'll starve.

On the other hand, a while ago I managed to get my first job but it turned out to be a nightmare because it ended up screwing up my body and mental health. I had a decent salary and had 3 days off, but the physical exhaustion was such that I didn't feel like getting out of bed. I had to endure that job for a month. The worst part is that I worked 11-12 hours every night, which screwed up my sleep schedule.
After that bad experience, I've lost the motivation to keep looking for a job, there's nothing that interests me.

My therapist tells me to get a job where I use my mind because I need to distract my mind from negative thoughts, the problem is that jobs where I use my mind require a bachelor's degree. All I can find are jobs where I have to use physical strength since almost all jobs are in factories, warehouses, or greenhouses, which I hate because as I said before, I don't want to keep screwing up my physical and mental health.
And no, I can't leave my town and get a job in a city because my parents say I'm not ready to live outside the town yet...

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: kovu and sserafim
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
Like its okay, i dont hate it - but i dont love it either.
That sounds similar to my situation. Do you have any plans for the future? Of course, it always depends on one's ability to pursue one's plans—an ability which is often taken from us by external factors.

ham and potatoes

ham and potatoes

Just some hillbilly
Mar 27, 2024
Ive got a degree, and even though i have a job that in theory i should be using my degree, i fell like im just a glorified secretary and could train a monkey to do my job

• Love
Reactions: kovu
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
To be honest, I'm doomed to have shitty jobs because I don't have a college education.
Living in a small town is frustrating for me, mainly because job opportunities are very limited and I'll never be able to pursue the things I enjoy.

In my town, almost all careers and jobs are related to agriculture, livestock, and production, but personally, none of these things interest me.
I like art and music, but the people in my town have such low culture that they don't appreciate art and instead value the garbage that is produced in my country, that is, the disgusting music that romanticizes drug trafficking, money, and organized crime.
My family tells me that if I pursue art, I'll starve.

On the other hand, a while ago I managed to get my first job but it turned out to be a nightmare because it ended up screwing up my body and mental health. I had a decent salary and had 3 days off, but the physical exhaustion was such that I didn't feel like getting out of bed. I had to endure that job for a month. The worst part is that I worked 11-12 hours every night, which screwed up my sleep schedule.
After that bad experience, I've lost the motivation to keep looking for a job, there's nothing that interests me.

My therapist tells me to get a job where I use my mind because I need to distract my mind from negative thoughts, the problem is that jobs where I use my mind require a bachelor's degree. All I can find are jobs where I have to use physical strength since almost all jobs are in factories, warehouses, or greenhouses, which I hate because as I said before, I don't want to keep screwing up my physical and mental health.
And no, I can't leave my town and get a job in a city because my parents say I'm not ready to live outside the town yet...
With the town's terrible job opportunities and your parents' unwillingness to let you leave, it sounds like you're caught between a rock and a hard place—I'm sorry to hear that. Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to deal with the physical strain of working labour-intensive jobs, either. I don't want to give any unsolicited advice as I'm sure that you've already thought much about your circumstances, and I don't know enough, which would make any advice a generalisation, anyway. But I hope that you'll be able to escape that situation as soon as possible. Be it through a degree, moving, or a random opportunity that comes your way, I wish you all the best for the future.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I have a degree but I'm a NEET lol. I've been one for almost 2 years. I don't want to ever have to work for a living. That's actually my primary reason to ctb, to escape becoming a slave to the system for the rest of my life. My parents are pressuring me to get a job though, and this is contributing to my suicidal ideation. I'd rather ctb than work. I don't know how anyone could ever find life under modern day slavery fulfilling

Last edited:
  • Love
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
Ive got a degree, and even though i have a job that in theory i should be using my degree, i fell like im just a glorified secretary and could train a monkey to do my job
I'm sorry to hear that. Are there any advancement opportunities where you work which would enable you to take on more responsibility or more interesting tasks? Of course, that might mean having to work that same boring job for a lot longer until those opportunities actually arise. I hope you'll be able to branch out/move on to a more interesting/challenging position where your degree gets properly utilised. I know what it's like to work a job that tests the limits of boredom on a daily basis, and it's awful. Best wishes, though.
I have a degree but I'm a NEET lol. I've been one for almost 2 years. I don't want to ever have to work for a living. That's actually my primary reason to ctb, to escape becoming a slave to the system for the rest of my life. My parents are pressuring me to get a job though, and this is contributing to my suicidal ideation. I'd rather ctb than work. I don't know how anyone could ever find life under modern day slavery fulfilling
If it's not too revealing, may I ask what kind of degree? Or rather, have you ever thought about becoming your own boss? Of course, that's often stricken with several risks, par of the course when you're responsible for every little thing. But, if the thought of working for some conglomerate that won't ever appreciate your contribution, to which you're just a cog in the wheelhouse, is a driving factor for your...NEETness and suicidal ideation, maybe something like photography, website design, etc., for example, could be a solution? Of course, I'm not trying to dissuade you from your lifestyle and CTB goals (I was a NEET for several months as well, and, hadn't it been for certain factors, I would sure like to be one still today—and I have thought about/planned/once tried CTB, as well), but it's just a thought. I apologise if I'm infringing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sserafim
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
I don't like my current job. I hope to quit this job and get a job that fulfills me more.

• Hugs
sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
If it's not too revealing, may I ask what kind of degree? Or rather, have you ever thought about becoming your own boss? Of course, that's often stricken with several risks, par of the course when you're responsible for every little thing. But, if the thought of working for some conglomerate that won't ever appreciate your contribution, to which you're just a cog in the wheelhouse, is a driving factor for your...NEETness and suicidal ideation, maybe something like photography, website design, etc., for example, could be a solution? Of course, I'm not trying to dissuade you from your lifestyle and CTB goals (I was a NEET for several months as well, and, hadn't it been for certain factors, I would sure like to be one still today—and I have thought about/planned/once tried CTB, as well), but it's just a thought. I apologise if I'm infringing.
It was in the science part of STEM. I've actually never thought about being my own boss, although it seems like it would be a good idea for my personality. I would hate to sign over my life to some corporation or have someone telling me what to do. I have no talents except for singing and photography, I think. I like music and making mashups, nightcores and slowed & reverbs. I don't know how I would market my talents though

Last edited:
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
It was in the science part of STEM. I've actually never thought about being my own boss, although it seems like it would be a good idea for my personality. I have no talents except for singing and photography I think. I don't know how I would market my talents
I've never been/tried to be my own boss either, but if it's a good fit for your personality, I'd say it's worth thinking about. It could be a good fit, especially if you're already talented in skills like photography. I don't know the first thing when it comes to cameras, but I've always had a liking for that hobby, even if I've never pursued it. Turning it into a job—though it may be hard—could make for an awesome source of income and independence. And as for marketing, I think building up a portfolio would be a good first step.
I don't like my current job. I hope to quit this job and get a job that fulfills me more.
Best of luck in that pursuit! Having a job that's neither fulfilling nor properly bearable sucks. It's draining, demotivating, and makes waking up a drag. I hope you'll be able to land a job that's a better fit for you.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sserafim

1MiserableGuy

Experienced
Dec 30, 2023
It comes with its own shit but I would still say yes. I admin a landfill. Few other opportunities that involve impacting local government, recycling, and prisoner outreach.

astonishedturnip

astonishedturnip

Like Christine Chubbuck, but sadder
Jan 16, 2024
Neutral. I hate going into the office (we are on a hybrid schedule) and I hate the office politics. I hate being micromanaged and having awful "solutions and new processes" sprung on me by smug shithead corporate upper management who have never worked my job and who just make my life harder. I hate getting work piled on me and I hate having to break bad news to a client and have them chew my head off like it's my fault. I hate that I bust my ass and get voluntold to do every little new thing, while my boomer coworkers bitch and whine and refuse even an ounce of new work, yet we get the exact same bonus and pay raise % at the end of the year. I hate that there are simple solutions to most of the problems in our office, yet management sticks their head in the sand because they penny-pinch us into a nervous breakdown.

On the other hand, I'm good at what I do and this is much better than my previous job. I love being licensed and knowing that my job is in demand, so I could probably find another quickly if I wanted to leave. I love helping my customers and finding solutions -- I work with small businesses and they are very sincere and thankful when you show them good service. I love getting paid extra for making a sale and I love showing my coworkers how to get something done. I love my 37.5 hour workweek and I love that our coffee machine makes hot chocolate. I love getting rewarded by our vendors for my hard work and I love how my network appreciates me so much that they'll sing my praises to my boss. I love my work friends and I love the area the office is.

It's give and take. I would give it all up in a heartbeat to be a do-nothing trophy wife lol. Work sucks but I'm glad I have a better job than some people I know.

• Love
Reactions: Pearl and kovu
untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
I don't mind doing jobs people don't care for. Entry level or not. It's the fact that participation in the rat race doesn't equal to even having bare necessities without having one or two roommates and still struggling. It's the fact that there is no respect or compassion for anyone. (Unless you are the CEO or boss.) I don't mind being a cog. I just don't like being treated like trash.

• Hugs
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Sort of. It feels good to help clueless people find things that are right in front of them but it certainly doesn't pay enough to live independently.

The job has also been sucking more lately due to cut hours, people calling out, and my own personal trouble with having a crush on someone from work.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
My creative job has been pretty much my sole coping mechanism supporting me through most of my life. My most intensely suicidal phases have been when it's been under threat or, I've had to take on wage slave jobs. It's hard to sustain myself financially on it.

That said, the past few years, my enthusiasm has been waning. In part because I felt like I would have to give up this time last year. In part because- while it's still what I want to do, the nature of it- the time it takes to do it, me being not quick enough at it means I kind of have to give it nearly all my time. At peak times, very likely consecutive 70-80 hour weeks. And even something you want to do can feel tedious when you feel like you have no or little choice but to work so hard to achieve it and still struggle financially!

It was an obsession with art during childhood to try and escape the (suspected) narcissistic abuse going on that lead to this throughout life. While I'm grateful for it, I can't imagine my life without it, it's given me a sense of purpose and focus. I don't actually know what I would have done without it- it also isn't all that wise to put all your eggs in one basket. I think I'm really maladjusted because I pretty much indulged in being a reclusive creative and not bothering to work on social skills or very much else. So, it's been my saviour but, it's also weirdly condemned me at the same time.

• Hugs
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Most of the jobs I did throughout my life were fulfilling for me not only bc I liked what I did bc they also generated cash in reasonable amounts that made me feel happy / successful. Since I failed big in life a few years ago I have no job anymore bc it would neither be fulfilling nor would it generate reasonable amounts of money that could make me happy.

Edit: I vote neutral bc I don't have a job/work but I would say a wage-slave job is certainly not fulfilling

Last edited:
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I haven't worked yet but I don't think that I'll ever find a job fulfilling. I was born into this world against my consent and now I'm expected to find a job fulfilling and enjoyable? What the hell. That makes absolutely no sense to me. I never enjoyed any aspect of living and I never will. This world simply wasn't built for me however, death suits me perfectly and I look forward to the beauty of permanent non existence. That's all I care about... to be non existent. I don't give the slightest damn about wage slaving

leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
The only thing I am good at is art. Nothing else is fulfilling to me and anything involving human interaction is exhausting.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and kovu
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
Neutral. I hate going into the office (we are on a hybrid schedule) and I hate the office politics. I hate being micromanaged and having awful "solutions and new processes" sprung on me by smug shithead corporate upper management who have never worked my job and who just make my life harder. I hate getting work piled on me and I hate having to break bad news to a client and have them chew my head off like it's my fault. I hate that I bust my ass and get voluntold to do every little new thing, while my boomer coworkers bitch and whine and refuse even an ounce of new work, yet we get the exact same bonus and pay raise % at the end of the year. I hate that there are simple solutions to most of the problems in our office, yet management sticks their head in the sand because they penny-pinch us into a nervous breakdown.

On the other hand, I'm good at what I do and this is much better than my previous job. I love being licensed and knowing that my job is in demand, so I could probably find another quickly if I wanted to leave. I love helping my customers and finding solutions -- I work with small businesses and they are very sincere and thankful when you show them good service. I love getting paid extra for making a sale and I love showing my coworkers how to get something done. I love my 37.5 hour workweek and I love that our coffee machine makes hot chocolate. I love getting rewarded by our vendors for my hard work and I love how my network appreciates me so much that they'll sing my praises to my boss. I love my work friends and I love the area the office is.

It's give and take. I would give it all up in a heartbeat to be a do-nothing trophy wife lol. Work sucks but I'm glad I have a better job than some people I know.
I wouldn't be opposed to becoming a trophy wife either, but as a socially poorly-adjusted dude, it's probably not in my future. Though I'm glad that you enjoy many aspects of your job—the hot chocolate would persuade me, too. It's easy to get lost in the negative sides, so keeping an eye on what's well and good can be pretty significant. As for those negative sides, I wish you the best in that they'll change for the better. When it comes to exhausting co-workers, senseless higher-ups, and the general atmosphere, all that can put a considerable damper on one's work life.
I don't mind doing jobs people don't care for. Entry level or not. It's the fact that participation in the rat race doesn't equal to even having bare necessities without having one or two roommates and still struggling. It's the fact that there is no respect or compassion for anyone. (Unless you are the CEO or boss.) I don't mind being a cog. I just don't like being treated like trash.
That's understandable, and it should honestly be outlawed to offer employment that doesn't guarantee a person's basic needs will be met. No matter what a person works, no one should have to worry about whether they'll be able to procure necessities such as housing and food. Alas, that's wishful thinking. The fact that mere respect and compassion (something you should afford every human being unless they relinquish it through their own actions) are often scarce for people working jobs that aren't too prestigious says enough. Still, I wish you all the best and thank you for your vote/comment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: astonishedturnip
xinino

xinino

I love to be sick
Mar 31, 2024
If it was fulfilling, I would never be here.

• Hugs
kovu

kovu

unendlichkeit
Nov 15, 2021
My creative job has been pretty much my sole coping mechanism supporting me through most of my life. My most intensely suicidal phases have been when it's been under threat or, I've had to take on wage slave jobs. It's hard to sustain myself financially on it.

That said, the past few years, my enthusiasm has been waning. In part because I felt like I would have to give up this time last year. In part because- while it's still what I want to do, the nature of it- the time it takes to do it, me being not quick enough at it means I kind of have to give it nearly all my time. At peak times, very likely consecutive 70-80 hour weeks. And even something you want to do can feel tedious when you feel like you have no or little choice but to work so hard to achieve it and still struggle financially!

It was an obsession with art during childhood to try and escape the (suspected) narcissistic abuse going on that lead to this throughout life. While I'm grateful for it, I can't imagine my life without it, it's given me a sense of purpose and focus. I don't actually know what I would have done without it- it also isn't all that wise to put all your eggs in one basket. I think I'm really maladjusted because I pretty much indulged in being a reclusive creative and not bothering to work on social skills or very much else. So, it's been my saviour but, it's also weirdly condemned me at the same time.
Turning your passion into your occupation can be a double-edged sword. On one side, you do what you love for a living; on the other, you now have to do it and do it a lot to stay afloat. That may well remove quite a bit of one's joy/its appeal. I don't think I'll ever reach a level where I'll be able to live off my hobbies, but this is something I'd be afraid of. I hope you'll manage to stay on top of it and that art continues to be an enjoyable part of your life.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep