• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
e
exactly. i can relate. my cat brings me the little happiness that i have and i hope my depression doesn't weigh on her. she is cuddly and very clued in to me. when i am super down she comes and sits right next to me and looks me in the eyes with what i swear is compassion.
Good point. Sometimes I wonder how much my sadness affects my dog. I hope not much. I feel like she understands how much I value her company, considering how much time she stays with me (most of the time, really; she even sleeps on my bed). All I can say is she is an incredible friend, better than any human friend I had.

Reactions: alice-jane and anna
M

Machonne

Apr 25, 2018
I can't tell you what to do or what to not do, but I wouldn't kill (or pay for someone to kill) my dog. It is her life, not mine. I don't have the right to cut it short just because I don't want to live my own life. So my only option is to live until she stops breathing.

I feel the same way if I possibly can. I will not leave her life to chance though if I can't. I am hoping I meet someone who can really love her
I can't tell you what to do or what to not do, but I wouldn't kill (or pay for someone to kill) my dog. It is her life, not mine. I don't have the right to cut it short just because I don't want to live my own life. So my only option is to live until she stops breathing.

And that is great if you have that option, I may not. I am trying to hold out, but if my health keeps declining, I need to do something before it just happens and my dog falls into the wrong hands. First and foremost, it is my responsibility to make sure she never suffers, whatever that entails. Life is the best option, but not just any life. Animals are not human, they don't understand why things happen to them, they just know misery when it happens. No way, if I can help it. Anything beats that option.

But I totally agree that yours is the best way and that is my goal. I wish I could gaurantee anything at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonnenblume
Sonnenblume

Sonnenblume

Sunflower Panda
Apr 6, 2018
I have decided that if I cannot wait for my dog to die someday, I will have her put down, as hard as that will be. The more I look at animal owners, including the one who would get this dog if I left...the more I am disgusted with them.

Yeah, I don't think pet ownership is ethical as a whole. It is the reason there are so many strays dying on the street. Only about 10% come to shelters already fixed. That doesn't even account for all the abused and neglected pets, of which there are many. For every ok owner there's tons of bad ones. I won't even get into the animal, bred, bought, and sold. And all the pets forced to suffer through traumatic illnesses and surgeries and other bullshit because their owner's are idiots who can't put the animal's needs above their own, even though they claim to love it oh so much. Their is no harm in nonexistence, there is a horrifically high risk of harm in living, especially for animals who are at the mercy of humans. People clearly, can't do the pet thing right so it just shouldn't be done at all. I actually lost a friend over this argument but, I was trying to get rid of everyone anyways, so no real loss. But it's surprising how much people who claim to love animals will just stick their heads in the sand, even when the consequences are massively high for these animals.

I'm not saying people should get rid of their pets, just concede that the whole thing is far from ideal, and stop perpetuating the idea that there's no price to pay.

M

Machonne

Apr 25, 2018
Yeah, I don't think pet ownership is ethical as a whole. It is the reason there are so many strays dying on the street. Only about 10% come to shelters already fixed. That doesn't even account for all the abused and neglected pets, of which there are many. For every ok owner there's tons of bad ones. I won't even get into the animal, bred, bought, and sold. And all the pets forced to suffer through traumatic illnesses and surgeries and other bullshit because their owner's are idiots who can't put the animal's needs above their own, even though they claim to love it oh so much. Their is no harm in nonexistence, there is a horrifically high risk of harm in living, especially for animals who are at the mercy of humans.

And anyone who thinks dropping a pet off at a rescue or shelter is a loving alternative is an idiot. Yes, it is far better than dumping them on the street, but it is nothing but an easy way out for many people. Maybe their pet will get lucky and find a great home, maybe not. Great homes are not easy to find, compromise is usually needed just to get them rehomed and a future home is not gauranteed, ever. Not my dog, if I can prevent it.

Sonnenblume

Sonnenblume

Sunflower Panda
Apr 6, 2018
And anyone who thinks dropping a pet off at a rescue or shelter is a loving alternative is an idiot. Yes, it is far better than dumping them on the street, but it is nothing but an easy way out for many people. Maybe their pet will get lucky and find a great home, maybe not. Great homes are not easy to find, compromise is usually needed just to get them rehomed and a future home is not gauranteed, ever. Not my dog, if I can prevent it.

Yeah, honestly, the truth is most would be better off not existing. I wish I'd had the strength to euthanize the cat I had but, honestly, I was weak. I didn't want to be vilified by the pollyana idiots around me for it. Now there's no telling what shit his new owners wilt put him through. I can only hope they have some sense. I made the wrong choice, I hate that I have to live and die with that. I do regret it.

B4mbi

B4mbi

Melly
Nov 11, 2022
Yes I have two cats which is why I hesitated so much last year. Is there anyone you can leave them with? Try not to feel guilty, your cats will forgive you, so you should also forgive yourself <3