• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
A great start would be eliminating mandatory psych holds, or at the very least changing drastically what might "justify" the suspension of freedom in pursuit of mental health. IMO being suicidal, even with a plan, should never be grounds for removal of freedom, for an adult, full stop.
You could argue some benefit for children, but I wont get into that baby steps and point blank if your an adult there should be no scenario where you lose freedom on account of words that harm nobody, especially in a system that is often more harmful than helpful in that instance.

A second step would be enabling/creating options that are not strictly pill farms/therapy. Yes, Therapy can help some, for some people and should still be an option. However, therapies limitations are often that in practice and in the privacy of your own life it can be difficult to remember/make use of/effectively use any coping skills you may have been learning.

There are i/p and intensive outpatient programs that allow you to live your life so to speak and have a structure to learn those skills but these are expensive/time intensive and often again forced adventures limiting the effectiveness for those who use it, and eliminating whole segments of the population. Most mental illness can be managed in some fashion with a combination of support, coping skills, life lessons, activities, support, understanding, and opportunities, which you get with support.

Yes, I did a lot of repeating myself but it's worth repeating. Having a large, understanding support system makes managing most conditions way easier. Now, don't mistake this for family and friends who may be well intentioned, people are flawed and sometimes (often even?) can make things worse for the people they are trying to support.

So, for me I envision the best thing that could happen for mental health treatments is something akin to a localized community center with a ton of caveats making it a viable option for anyone looking for support to just walk in (or be picked up).

A Peer run, psychiatry backed, research focused community center with a focus on building relationships, improving coping skills, while eliminating the stigma of it being a mental health facility, because it really wouldn't be. It would be an activity center with mental health in mind.

1. Activities are built with a focus of building new relationships (see: support) can be anything from sports, board games, roleplaying games, hiking, painting, ceramics, hydrodipping, writing, poetry, improv, acting, think groups, robotics, rc cars, music etc.. None of these things are important, the interaction is so pick and choose what works.

2. Educational/interactive classes teaching any of the above + whatever else, it doesn't need to be professional quality just sufficient enough to grab/keep interest and get people interacting to build relationships (see: support)

3. not sure exactly how you would make this work but eliminate the lonely stigma. If someone has no existing support at all and/or available they may be leery about going somewhere alone so find a way to alleviate that walking in awkwardness. It wouldn't get people in the door the first time, but it might get them to come back. Something along the lines of random groupings right away? Again not sure but there are people out there smarter than me.

4. Peer support on site, psychologist/psychiatrist available sometimes and utilize them to create and engage above activities in a manner that makes it effective interaction/use of coping skills. I.e. not just a bunch of random activities but guided interaction to keep it productive

5. Actual Mental health support features, group therapy, team buildings sessions for strangers, resources for one on one if you so desire but probably not a built in feature here. Help finding a therapist if you want (lets face it a lot of them suck)

i've been rattling around with some kind of idea in my head for years but i'm incapable of making it more than that. I'm sure it has numerous issues and might even have failed from the get go, but the idea is in my head, because I know I would go, im also fairly sure it would work as a support for me, so i'm guessing some others would feel similar.

Yes, it wont be for everyone and might even just be a failed idea, but then again maybe not.

The whole point behind my thought process is a clinical therapy session can only get you so far (if at all) but having a variety of support available and building organic relationships as well as having something productive to do is fantastic for your mental health, full stop.

If we could find a way to create organic relationships and therefore support most people are better off. Sure, it's not organic if its forced but if you can manage it without it ever feeling forced (and that would be the trick) the result is the same.

Being productive and having support is not the be all end all of mental health but it is the often talked about solution that for many people has no viable solution. If we could create that solution it would be a win for the world.

cytokinestorm

cytokinestorm

Apr 19, 2020
I was supposed to see someone about my depression etc. just the other day, but I cancelled the appointment because I know the people I'd have to see would just be a bunch of thick, judgemental, ignorant Karens who'd patronise me and run rings round me.

You need intelligent, emotionally sensitive people to work in mental health care, not the rubbish I've had the misfortune to meet in my time.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I went to the psych ward after a man assaulted me while I was sleeping... I woke up feeling him on top of me feeling like I was dying.... the psychiatrist told me it was my fault I got raped. So supportive.

That is horrific. And untrue. I am so sorry.

Mendex

Mendex

The Sleep of reason produces monsters
Jan 9, 2021
developed countries like to send humanitarian aid to people who are starving in poor countries. I think that poor countries need to send volunteers to developed countries to teach them about human connection since poorer countries tend to have the happiest, humblest, most mentally healthy, resilient individuals (despite their circumstances). I know this sounds like a joke to almost everyone but I'm serious. I think capitalism, greed and individualism are eating the West alive and they need help asap.

the west (the materialistic side of the world) needs to form a strong bond/relationship with the unmaterialistic side of the world for balance to be reestablished on both sides.
You don't have idea what an undeveloped country is, they are often like developed countries in personality but more criminal,savage and primitive (Poverty is one the greatest factor to contribute at mental disorder).
Since I was born in an undeveloped country.I may say people doesn't give a damn thing about you, they may assault like is a everyday thing or even like you paying an informal taxes to some non-governmental institution of criminal people.
I heard stories about people homeless commiting self-mutilation to look more pity and just that to compete in begging more money against other homeless people. And people laughing of them who just passing in streets.
Theres a great variety of people in the world, but that doesn't mean for belonging in undeveloped country make you happy or healthy.
Materialistic-Unmaterialistic side is false dichotomy, and individualism is one of factor you should use to survive.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I think it's true now

The psychiatrists can be the worst people. Like I had a terrible therapist who was mean to me, and my ex told me which is true that often the reason people become therapists (or psychiatrists) is because they themselves have big issues.

It is never your fault if someone violates you. It is entirely on them.

whitefeather

whitefeather

Thank the gods for Death
Apr 23, 2020
In our society, I believe there needs to be more conversation about mental health. It is obvious that our current mental health system fails everyone it touches and it shows. Those with mental illness or problems are often looked down upon, treated as outcasts, or even excluded from society entirely. Not only that, but the current "solutions" are obviously not working. Therapy is a joke in general, although it does help some. Psychiatrists only seek to medicate you so you can "feel" better. None of these things is treating the underlying problems, only the symptoms. Modern medicine is set up only to treat the symptoms, not address the underlying problems. This is what I believe is the crux of the problem: Too many medical professionals just simply don't care about the people that they treat, in my opinion. You can't talk about these problems with close friends or family, or you'll be labelled "crazy" and treated poorly for it. There is a stigma associated with talking about mental illness in general and even more of a stigma associated with talking about suicide. This community exists to let people talk about these things judgement-free and anonymously.

I want to open up a wider conversation about how we can improve the failed mental health system because the current approach isn't working.

What do you think could be done?

mini_weeny

mini_weeny

Every cradle is a grave
Jan 5, 2021
You don't have idea what an undeveloped country is, they are often like developed countries in personality but more criminal,savage and primitive (Poverty is one the greatest factor to contribute at mental disorder).
Since I was born in an undeveloped country.I may say people doesn't give a damn thing about you, they may assault like is a everyday thing or even like you paying an informal taxes to some non-governmental institution of criminal people.
I heard stories about people homeless commiting self-mutilation to look more pity and just that to compete in begging more money against other homeless people. And people laughing of them who just passing in streets.
Theres a great variety of people in the world, but that doesn't mean for belonging in undeveloped country make you happy or healthy.
Materialistic-Unmaterialistic side is false dichotomy, and individualism is one of factor you should use to survive.
So true, it's totally a myth that ppl In 3rd world countries are happier. Pple in these countries are mostly undomesticated and very you can actually see the worst of human nature there. Pure hell. I wish we could all live like the Swiss. Not that pple there are to blame since no one is to blame for the fucking country they were born in, civilization comes with education so that is why these countries are a mess of poverty and misery. Lots of suffering.

LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
In our society, I believe there needs to be more conversation about mental health. It is obvious that our current mental health system fails everyone it touches and it shows. Those with mental illness or problems are often looked down upon, treated as outcasts, or even excluded from society entirely. Not only that, but the current "solutions" are obviously not working. Therapy is a joke in general, although it does help some. Psychiatrists only seek to medicate you so you can "feel" better. None of these things is treating the underlying problems, only the symptoms. Modern medicine is set up only to treat the symptoms, not address the underlying problems. This is what I believe is the crux of the problem: Too many medical professionals just simply don't care about the people that they treat, in my opinion. You can't talk about these problems with close friends or family, or you'll be labelled "crazy" and treated poorly for it. There is a stigma associated with talking about mental illness in general and even more of a stigma associated with talking about suicide. This community exists to let people talk about these things judgement-free and anonymously.

I want to open up a wider conversation about how we can improve the failed mental health system because the current approach isn't working.

For a start Mental Health Personal need to start listening to their patients and asking them what they need instead of second guessing and prescribing some crap medication that's as much use as a placebo!

Samsara

Samsara

Experienced
Mar 9, 2020

Hi Marquis,

As someone who is not a licensed therapist/other type of mental health professional, but with previous advanced training in the field who has sat on both sides of the therapy room, I am so glad you initiated this conversation. It is unfortunately true that even within professional mental health communities, there is often a baseless stigma that persists. I hope however that this, as well as other negative experiences with so-called mental health professionals, doesn't prevent people from switching therapists and giving another a try, because it might be that next therapist who is the right 'fit'.

In this example, I'll refer to 'therapists' but really I mean any mental health professional (MHP). I think it's important for people to remember that we each have our own individual interpersonal preferences and styles, as do MHPs. It's perfectly fine and even expected that if your interpersonal style isn't a good fit with your therapist's after a few or even 1 session, that you should try another therapist out in case they complement your needs well. One helpful way of 'testing' your therapist, in a way, is to simply politely be completely open about any initial reactions you might have initially had in your 1st session, including feelings of distaste, and ask whether your therapist might be able to accommodate your preferences/needs, and what they are. A good therapist should be able to be flexible enough to tailor treatment to each patient, and should welcome feedback about the therapeutic relationship. If your therapist seems visibly uncomfortable despite your polite/appropriate demeanor, that may be a red flag indicating the therapist's own feelings might interfere with treatment.

Also, I hope everyone knows that there are many MHPs who do believe in treating the root causes and processes that maintain suffering, rather than just slapping a bandaid on a gaping wound hoping that treating the symptoms with 1 or a few daily pills will be a cure-all. A good MHP is evidence-based and relies on the latest scientific data regarding treatment. Treatment for depression, for example, can often be beneficial when it exclusively involves empirically supported treatments such as behavioral activation therapy. Some people though can have such severely intense symptoms of depression and/or anxiety (the two co-occur more often than not) that these symptoms have an incredibly crippling impact on daily functioning, let alone the ability to rewire the brain by practicing new therapy techniques. For these depressed patients, treatment generally has the highest success when one combines pharmacology such as a first-line anti-depressant with the psychotherapy to supplement treatment. A medication-prescribing MHP, such as a psychiatrist, psychiatric nurse, etc., really should be strongly recommending psychotherapy IN ADDITION to medication - not just medication. So only prescribing meds without asking about and recommending ongoing weekly therapy (usually with a therapist, as training as psychiatrist =/= training in therapy unless the psychiatrist has gone out of his or her way to get additional training) is another red flag.

Anyway, what I initially planned to be 3 brief sections have now turned into 3 huge walls of text. But as someone who has sat on both sides of the therapy office during my life, I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to PM me for further information/assistance if I might be of additional help.

Last edited:
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
I think that poor countries need to send volunteers to developed countries to teach them about human connection since poorer countries tend to have the happiest, humblest, most mentally healthy, resilient individuals (despite their circumstances).
Well, I'm a born Canadian who's lived in India for fifteen years, and I don't think you're right. But maybe you're thinking of other countries.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018

Marquis,
I read this and it's like you took the words right out of my mouth. I find this often in things that I read, things that I've written, things that I've thought in general. Unfortunately this topic is widely disputed.
"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." - that is not always true. Some problems are temporary, and others are more permanent - such as existence itself.

You see, I've taken the "high road,"
And the
"low road,"
And anything in between.

Popping a pill would not change how the abuse has occurred or how it continued to occur.
Popping a pill for one person will not change the actions of another person.

I have narrowly ducked, dodged, and avoided death or great bodily harm more times than I really care to explain.

Car accidents, murders, physical altercations, hostage situations (knifepoint, in vehicles by an abusive partner or parent or by a "friend", a neighbor, a stranger), robberies, arson (that fire in the backyard my mother started), poisoning, overdoses of non prescription (over the counter) and prescription drugs, allergic reactions, suicide attempts.

We begin abusing ourselves.

We don't pay living wages for people to be able to afford to "make it" on their own.
And then we blame them for abusive partners, abusive parents, abusive roommates, abusive situations. Abusive jobs.

"You're so stupid. Well you should lose weight. Well I think you're lying. Well. I think you're a problem. Well you're a problem. Well you're just a problem. Well you're just not good enough."

"You don't get a choice."
"Well you have choices."
"Well we chose to demolish you from the inside out and then wonder why."

People are not humble.
People are selfish.

Some people are truly there to help.
Some people are just there to invade.
Some people are there to destroy your happiness and stability.
And some people care.
Some people don't.
"Well I think you should go back to your abuser."
Oh you fucking pieces of garbage.
"Everyone keeps saying this to me and I don't appreciate it. Please don't say that. I just need someone to listen to me and respect me."
"Now I'll tell you. Go back to your abuser." HAHAHAHAHA. Millard, Davis, Janky, Herrman, all you god damn fucking liars. All you snoops and all you little punks.

Blocking my exit? False imprisonment? Stealing my motorcycle key? Stealing my phone? Accusing me of whatever you can? Isolating me? Preventing me from contacting police?

I'm just not good enough?
Calling me stupid for loaning trust only to find it's been betrayed and destroyed that many times?
Janky? Anything to say for yourself? Pressuring me into "visiting" you and when I leave I get beat up by Matt herrman? And then when I finally get out and tell you no, I can't talk to you, I don't want to, you're going to get me thrown out, and you push me into sex and lie and then go brag about it to your coworkers who tell the fat bastard to throw me out again?
It's a game it's entertainment heheheehehe
How fucking sick.

Well, we thought we would just talk. Well tell us more. Tell us all about how we can destroy you. It must be your imagination.
So if I ignore it they escalate. If I shut them down they escalate. If I escalate I'm the bad guy.

Stop hitting me.
Stop screaming at me.
Stop hitting on me.
Stop groping me.
Stop unbuckling my belt.
Stop being an asshole.

It starts at home, it works it's way into schools, into roommate situations, into workplaces, and society ignores it.

People lie and say everything changes and it "gets better" - oh it gets better alright, it just gets better and better doesn't it?

Your time will come.
How redundant.

The bullshit.

When nobody advocates for victims of abuse and enablers continue to enable the abuse, then everyone "pretends" to "help" - when they really just put on an act and keep creating problems for people who are trying to solve them, that's when it gets to be so infuriating.

Bad family members, bad peers, lack of support, lack of intervention, lack of inclusiveness.

They label you "bipolar" because of hating your abusers. Because of hating thieves. Because of hating being left out of everything. Because of the way people treat you and you're a victim of your circumstances.

When you come from an abusive family that doesn't stop fishing, doesn't stop stealing from you, doesn't stop lying about you, insists on taking your money or possessions or playing little stupid games and sabotaging your progress, sabotaging your relationships, sabotaging your education, telling you that you're just not good enough. "Well we were just wondering". Well you were all just wondering were you? Why? Because you ignored me, encouraged abuse and then said "it's not that bad" - it's not that bad that he's stalking you, threatening your classmates, raping you, ripping your phone out of your hand, throwing you around, biting you, and saying too bad. You have nowhere to go.

Screaming in your face. Screaming in your ear. Turning up music so loud it's hurting your ears and screaming at you for crying.

And people are so selfish.
You get out of abuse.

You beg someone to pay attention to you. You beg someone to go somewhere with you and they stare blankly into a tv and you realize exactly how insignificant you must be. You are grateful they are there. You work 3 jobs and say am I equal yet?

You're working on a project in your kitchen and ask for help with one thing and suddenly they just get in your way and take over.

You tell someone to stop fucking with your motorcycle and scream stop, and they don't stop. How fucking stupid.

Then there's fishing for information, fishing for something to hurt someone with, trying to keep a person "talking" when they say I've said enough, ive said it all, I keep it simple and that's enough. But people dig and dig and dig.

And then when you say, stop, it's none of your business. "Well I was just trying to help." You aren't helping anything, you're playing a little game. And then when you set that boundary again, "no, you come to me." - and then when you don't go to that person and say I tried to invite you. Now you're trying to shove your way into a space that you aren't welcome. And then when I don't "let you in", you start shit. "Well, I heard a rumor" - no, you made that shit up because you were no longer getting attention and you wanted to crawl under my skin.

"Well, I think you should just move on and date someone else." - and then you're met by the same bullshit. You put it in writing. You verbalize it. You say, I don't want to have sex with you. They ignore you and shove their hands up your shirt or down your pants or between your legs. You try to get away from them or push their hand away and they say "I'm a man" - okay, well that's not okay to keep ignoring me. Then I turn my back and you're carving a name into a tree. Why? Because you're so selfish, you don't ask me and you don't respect me? Put the knife down, you could really hurt me. No, I'm going to "show off" and ignore you. Then stab your dashboard and wonder why you don't like me.

People say "can't you find better friends?"
"Can't you find a better partner?"
"Can't you find a better job?"
"Can't you find something better?"
"Can't you do better?"

Apparently not. Apparently that's just life. Being put down constantly, made fun of, invalidated, abusers enabled, and nothing better to do in life.

Congratulations we did everything behind your back and hurt you every chance we got.

Oh did they steal your possessions and your money and hold you hostage again?
Did they hold you at knifepoint and laugh in your face with sick details?
And keep playing pretend?
Ooh ooh tell me more tell me all about the food stamp office.
Well just say she already spent it. So she can't get another ID. So she can't get help.
Now NAG. "Got any plans?"
Yes, plenty of them.
"You're not the same."
"What's your plan?"
Repeat this 1000 times.
I want to get back in school. Apply for a job. Sue maybe.

And then go oh is he your best friend? Why? He's ugly, he's fat, whatever. As if I have to justify having a good friend that was always supportive unlike a hooker named Kelsey that always put me down and started shit?

"can't you get a better job or a better motorcycle or can't you find a better boyfriend?"
"Oh did you just move in? Let's steal from you."
"Oh, okay."

"Feel better soon!"

You know. This
"You said this but I do the complete opposite" game is absolutely fucking devastating.
Please. Please don't. Please don't. PLEASE DON'T.
"Oh well, I just did it anyway."

Beautiful. Beautiful.

We're just so much better than you.
We're just so much better than you.
We lie to you this much.
We laugh in your face.
We ignore you.
We know they're guilty and we say "too bad."
Too bad huh?

I guess it's just not worth it.

You ask someone not to start raising their voice and take turns talking.
They start yelling.
You walk away.
They blame you.

How many times did I say I want to go to sleep?
"Are you okay?"
How many times was that?
How many times did we kick you down and abuse you and ignore you and say oh well.

How many times did we repeat it?
If you're ever so "worried" open the fucking door, you wanna see my pussy bitch? The fuck you asking me again and again and again and again. Screaming screaming screaming leave leave leave leave. You should do this, you should do that, well, we think there's a problem.
You know the problem?
A lack of early intervention, repeated little bullshit games, little snitching crap, and then saying "I was just kidding boohoo."

Pull into the gas station.
No I just drive by it.
I "helped"
I "helped" when I got you in the car while I had a head injury and failed to tell you, and when you confronted me and said do you know how dangerous and irresponsible that is? You just couldn't care less.

We care so much, that we don't care at all.
We say don't be a victim.
But we ignore cries for help.
We ignore it.
We stalk.
We say "I just wanted to keep track of her."
"Well I was just wondering"
"Well, we do everything except for help and we believe their lies over your truths."
"Oh are you being truthful?"
"Just lie anyway."

Kick a dog so many times and watch it bite?

No, we're all so perfect. Perfectly greedy, perfectly selfish, perfectly selfish, and we push people to self destruction and then wonder why.

Preventing someone from achieving anything, from donating whatever it is they want to, being selfish and say let's play pretend. You're a fish trapped in a fish bowl and we just put toxic water in there and say figure it out yourself. The bowl becomes gritty and dirty and nobody helps. Eventually the fish dies and they wonder why.

Being nagged for sex, nagged to do drugs, nagged to drink alcohol, nagged for shit and you ask yourself "if I do it will it make this person shut up or stop playing stupid little games?"

No, it won't. They laugh in your face.

Nagging for attention because you're enjoying the atmosphere at a party and they say "join us" - you say I'm here, I'm enjoying. Well let's dig into your skin, oh is he talking to her as a friend? I'll plop my ugly selfish ass in between and interrupt just because.

Oh you're eating? I want to watch you like some sort of alien.
Oh, is that your genitals?
Oh, is that an ingrown hair?
Oh, did I do something wrong?

Can't you get anywhere in life?
Apparently not.
"Why don't you to play on the train tracks?"
"Go play on the freeway."

People say "they're just like that."
"You can't do anything about it, AAAAHAAAHHHHAAAAHA."
Yeah.

Shaming your body. Saying it's "evil."

I think physician assisted suicide should be available to anyone at any time.

Feeding lies and fantasies about how perfect life "could" be, and how it "should be" and "just get over it" and "it gets better" is absolutely fucking devastating.

False accusations, repeated oppression, and then people say "haha they're dead now" - yeah. That's exactly why. People are selfish. Nothing new. Nothing changes. You can be as nice as you want and it just continues.

What? You want to be a police officer?
Well just oppress the shit out of you and destroy you from day one.

Didja know that some of them mimic criminals to try to understand criminals?

Didja know that criminals continue victimizing victims until the victim becomes the criminal and we say "break the cycle."

It does not break.
It is a snowball effect.

Some "criminals" truly do help everyone and themselves. And they are inherently good people that do things outside of the societal norm and are harshly judged for that. Some of them truly are more loyal than people of societal norms.

Moral of the story I believe that CPS should have better standards than "there's food and the house is clean."
Abusers should not have rights. They should not be able to break no contact orders and continue abusing.

Oppressors should not be enabled to oppress. Predators shouldn't be able to lure people in with false promises like money, a place to live, and a way to get through school.
Predators should not be bribing other predators or justifying abuse and saying "just finish school and you'll have enough money to get away from him!"
Teresa garner. I'll "help" sneak sneak sneak lie lie lie awwwwww.
Good. One more dead abuser.

No matter what I did. She would never say I love you. She would never be satisfied. No matter what I said or how many times I said it.

"Oh an active shooting at Walmart I have to bring my grocery cart because I'm so selfish it's my groceries!111!11!!"

And to think this dumbass was a licensed nurse.

People say tell the truth and the truth will get you there.
The truth is that people say shit just to say it, they lie that much, they nag that much, they set you up, they refuse to shut their greedy mouths, they eavesdrop and play little games.

I'll tell you for all the money in the world. That it won't change the way people treat people. They either use you for it, steal it from you, nag you for it, spend it for you, bribe people with it, and then they say "just make more of it."

The point of me buying a bunch of things. Was to enjoy and give it away. Not for it to be stolen and forced to hand it over to the abusers who then took the opportunity to steal it again.

We're just a world of "actors" and "actresses" aren't we?

Last edited:
Depressed_Kettle

Depressed_Kettle

Experienced
Apr 25, 2021
I'm going to respond to this post properly later but, before I forget, @Marquis can I please suggest the addition of a 'Mental Health' forum alongside the 'Suicide Discussion', 'Recovery' and 'Offtopic' ones currently in place?

EDIT: or perhaps it could be 'Mental Illness and Health' – just a place to discuss various mental illnesses, treatments, personal experiences with them etc. without it being contextualised as being related to either suicide/recovery
I think this would be a great idea.

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
I see people here advocating for technologica acceleration as a solution to problems in psychiatry. You are deepening the problem. It is unrelated, but take a look at what the financial sector will be when Bitcoin's bubble pops. Do you want the aftermath of abuse for mentally ill people if we depend on even more technology used by the mental health profession and pharmacies?

There are already enough lies, scams, scare posts, misleading information and bureaucratic procedures as is.

Reactions: myopybyproxy
existtosuffer

existtosuffer

Student
Sep 22, 2021
I don't think much will change with mental health & illnesses because you can't cure death.

Doing 40/50 years of repetition in order to survive just drives people insane because it's meaningless & doesn't offer anything rewarding, because you're just planning for your inevitable death.

Last edited:
WaterHemlock

WaterHemlock

Student
Dec 18, 2019
I agree that mental health resources, especially in America and probably other places, is severely limited, restricted to people who can pay and even so often doesn't help.
It's not a cure, but I've found helpful, or at least distracting, being able to connect to others in a group called Emotions Anonymous. It's not therapy, but the sharing is cathartic and it's free and available. These groups are available online, sometimes in person, or you can start your own where you are. They're run by volunteers.
I wish there were more and better options, but I'm glad to at least have one.

Reactions: callme
Ankou

Ankou

Sep 26, 2021
Unpopular opinion: defund psychiatry as it harmed too many people and has only anecdotal evidence to support medication. Ban forced psychiatry as well as it's a slippery slope and has been abused many times today and in the past like in Nazi Germany and USSR. Then use the money to improve people's quality of life by improving health care, the economy, cps/foster system, justice system, education, the environment, etc. Then when there's actual science in psychiatry and not just doctors guessing, we can talk about it being forced on people because right now it's exactly like forcing religion on people

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
It would be good if society admitted that mental illness can be treatable, but is sometimes or often either not treatable or unbearable even with treatment. From there, permit assisted dying. Stop patronising mentally ill people with platitudes. Also: let people with mental illness access any treatment that could help them - e.g. Ketamine, psilocybin. Stop psychiatrists being so arrogant.

stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
It would be good if society admitted that mental illness can be treatable, but is sometimes or often either not treatable or unbearable even with treatment. From there, permit assisted dying. Stop patronising mentally ill people with platitudes. Also: let people with mental illness access any treatment that could help them - e.g. Ketamine, psilocybin. Stop psychiatrists being so arrogant.
I agree.

Change how we define "mental illness"

Mentally ill is an umbrella statement.

It could be anything that includes an opinion differing from one's own, and refusal to accept that people think in so many different ways.

There are so many things that can cause "mental illness" and so many things that are "defined" as mental illness.

There are also things that we describe as "mental illness" but at the end of the day, it's not always as it seems.

Labels for these "conditions" or alleged conditions are absolutely overworked.

We cannot save everyone, and we unfortunately do not stop the behaviors that cause people to act a certain way in the long run.

So if I eat out of a garbage can and lived, would it be fair to say that it is in fact safer to eat out of the garbage can than it is to live with certain roommates?

Yes, it is.

HERRMAN, dirty bastard who eats out of the toilet in prison and rapes women or young girls.

Fernando, workplace harassment. Do you have any apologies for your behavior? On behalf of Sam Cassidy, sorry but NOT SORRY.

Cristian.
Would it be fair to say that his escalation of behaviors and attempt to provoke or promote violence for his own sick satisfaction was in fact a premeditated, conscious decision? Yes, it was.

Devon, your little bullshit screaming in cristians ear because we told on you for shitting next to your motorcycle when being a belligerent drunk, that was also insulting women including the neighbor across the street, resulting in further police contact or activity, was that a conscious decision? Yes.

Promoting violence to "square off" with your idiot skank named Amanda, is in fact promoting violence after the two of you consciously decided to go into my bedroom and steal from me. Searching for the items I listed as most important. And then "hiding" behind your aunty Maureen who further enabled you to do so, and blamed me as the tenant.

Martha Gilson, Caitlyn Iwaihara, looking guilty.
"We were just wondering. We were just so worried."
About what? Being exposed for your sick little "game" which is not a game, nor is it a competition to be some of the most disgusting people who have existed for entirely too long.

Erika asbell, looking guilty.
Brandon asbell, looking guilty.

Atchinson police department, looking guilty.

Stacey Bosch, looking guilty.

Natalie sugimoto, looking guilty.

Any more enemies you guys want to create or "paint?"

JJ zipperlen, selfish, immature, ignorant, snitch, crybaby.

Dustin Williams looking guilty. Teresa garner, deceased, guilty.

Ashley Millard looking guilty.

Kelsey Craig looking guilty.

Elena FREGOSO, guilty.

Chance Briggs, guilty.

All of the above.

Lindsey smith, absolutely looking guilty.

Have I been "guilty"? Yes. But of what? A few things that included innocence and lack thereof, several "cries for help" and several situations that overlooked the entire case itself.

Passive, versus aggressive, versus you, versus life.

Thieves versus thieves, stalkers versus creeps, creeps versus enablers, enablers versus the system, the system versus the system.
Unpopular opinion: defund psychiatry as it harmed too many people and has only anecdotal evidence to support medication. Ban forced psychiatry as well as it's a slippery slope and has been abused many times today and in the past like in Nazi Germany and USSR. Then use the money to improve people's quality of life by improving health care, the economy, cps/foster system, justice system, education, the environment, etc. Then when there's actual science in psychiatry and not just doctors guessing, we can talk about it being forced on people because right now it's exactly like forcing religion on people
I agree.

Paz Pacifico, looking guilty.

Some people do need actual forcible psychiatry and that would include people that fit the "mother" profile of teresa garner. Immediate intervention and disabling the clown from harming everyone in her path of destruction.

Vaca Peña middle school, Vacaville police please step forward

I will continue to point at the assailants that allowed assailants to continue the behavior.

Ignore it, ignorant people will be ignorant.

Department of corrections please step forward, on behalf of the "criminally insane" versus the people who "drove" them to that point.

People know better and decide that they will just behave however they do and manipulate people rather than address and correct the problem to begin with.

Department of corrections, guilty of failure to prevent a crime from occurring or continuing to occur within the facility itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: myopybyproxy
Teddybear

Teddybear

Specialist
Nov 20, 2021
While I was researching suicide methods I stumbled upon the FB page "Stop Sanctioned Suicide", which is orchestrated by a zealot who seems to dedicate each minute of his or her online existence, to shutting this forum down.
This person's son killed himself and like most people, who suffer a loss for whom they need someone to blame, (s)he is out for vengeance, with wrath as a topping.

On that page there was a post from someone who wrote that he felt suicidal because he got himself "locked up in one situation" from which he said he couldn't find a way out.

Now I don't know that person's life and far be it from me to judge him. But 1 Situation you got yourself into, doesn't "justify" suicide, not unless that mess is life threatening in and off itself.

But why is nobody talking about those, whose whole life came appart at the seams? Be it an ucurable disease, debt that will wreak your life and threaten your freedom or just the fact that you are old, poor, w/o any friends or family and just waiting to die anyway?

Why can't this hypocritical society - that got no problem allowing abortionists to kill the unborn in the womb, or to let refuges freeze in the snow and drown before their coastline - tolerate the fact, that life isn't worth living for certain people?

Maybe it is the same hedonistic frenzy, that can not accept death as a natural part of life during a pandemic - or any other major calamity - and as result rather shuts down entire nations than trying to find a way how to coexist with a virus it can not wipe or inject away?!

We live in a culture that prides itself on "human values", yet ignores the rights of the individual in favor of the collective. Identity Politics divide us into groups where you find yourself forcefully associated with people you don't know and in all likelihood don't want to get to know. Yet all of a sudden you are supposed to talk, act and think like "them".

"Stop Sanctionef Suicide" keeps lumping up anyone tired of living under the label "vulnerable people". And he doesn't care, that he turns me into his victim with this label, into some happless creature in dire need of (his) help.

But I don't want his help, I don't want *anybodies* help - because the one thing I want - a self determined life [including a self determined death] - is the one thing they will never grant me.

"A man is no man if he can not pull his own weight" You might find that old fashioned and ridiculously macho, in this new matriarchic post-Corona reality. But it was the motto of *my* life - up until old age, Corona and ever more government restrictions conspired to create this brave new world, where the collective tells us "do not travel, do not eat meat, wear a mask when out of the house … ah and yes, we'll also tell you what to inject into your bloodstream".

The bulk of people might find the prospect of spending their final days in some housing project, dependant on welfare, locked into your dwelling at least twice a year and being injected against your will with stuff, that makes you at least nauseous for two weeks, appealing. But for me there is nothing here that says "fun" or "excitement". So why am I supposed to be a psych case, when up until just a few decade ago, nobody would have thought to impose these kinds of draconion restrictions on the whole wide world - because of a resipiratory disease?
Or consider outlawing air travel, eating meat or owning a car - based on the angry rantings of an autistic unemployed teenager?

Who says that people like me have to find *every* kind of world and *any* circumstances worth living in? Does fear of death make you immortal?

Rabhen

Rabhen

Isolated Loner
Dec 17, 2021
I recently thought of depression intervention. When I googled it I only found ways to intervene but that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is where everyone sits down and reminds the depressed what they love about them and why.

I know this isn't a good option for a lot because they might not have family or friends to do this but I know for people like me it would be helpful.

Because of my disorders and BS I've had to put up with I've become blind to their love. I think everyone is setting me up for a life sized prank. That I'm just a joke to everyone. I "believe" that my husband is videoing us 'in the bedroom' and posting it on the Internet for laughs and humiliation.

This is something I struggle with. And the reminder that they do love me would be really fucking awesome.

To get help with mental illness or takes a lot on the depresseds part and the loved ones and I think this is where it falls down a lot.
I read, or saw a documentary about a tribe somewhere that when someone in the tribe committed what was considered by the tribe an offense (or crime), they would take the person who committed the offense, surround them and each person surrounding them would then SHOUT in the face of the offender, everything Good and what was liked and honorable about the offender, until there was resolution. Resolution being tears, hugs, pats, celebrating.
I postulate this would help many at least some.
One of the MAIN causes for my depression and low self esteem, all my life since preschool literally, is the inability to solidify 'positive' memories.
If instead of being berated for my failures, spanked, slapped, beaten and put on restriction, basically total isolation, for most of my entire childhood, IF, I had been told everything good about me, I might have been able to develop the ability to solidify 'positive' memories. Without positive memories, EVERY set back, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant to others, adds to the black sticky miring of depressiveness.

M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
I think that allowing us the use of some land to build lives and communities outside of society and western culture could help a lot of people. The cause of a lot of mental distress for many is being forced to study things they have no real interest in/ work pointless jobs that bring them no joy, money or purpose/ inability to find secure housing and the knowledge that no matter how long or hard they work they will never achieve the most basic human needs like shelter/ lack of interest in material things/ not fitting in with herd mentality/ no freedom of expression/ not looking or feeling the way society says we should/ having no interest in the "dream life" that we are expected to aim for "university, job, marriage, house, kids, get old, die etc.
If we were given land and we could form our own community, build our own homes and do work that has a genuine meaningful purpose like growing food for our community, working as a team to tend the land and build shelter, educating ourselves in subjects that directly benefit our lives and community like agriculture, medicine, sanitation etc and generally living a more peaceful and simple life with minimal need for modern drama like money, status, mass consumerism, strict rules and rigid routines, the need to constantly run the gauntlet 24/7 for an unattainable goal. we may actually find a sense of peace, belonging, purpose. We don't fit in the cookie cutter and repeatedly trying to squash us into it HURTS. Accept that we don't fit and let us get off the hamster wheel and choose a different path. Drugs and therapy can only do so much but usually it feels as though they are not designed to make us better, only to grease us up a bit in the vain hope that if you cover us in butter we might eventually slip through the cookie cutter and turn out like the rest of the herd. I feel like a dairy cow that has been bred and farmed to serve a purpose that is of no benefit to me at all and I'm a wright off and disappointment because I failed to produce any milk. Antidepressants are the equivalent to the nasty hormones they feed to dairy cows to increase their milk production even though they are detrimental to the cows health. Just put me out to pasture already.
Edit: just remembered to add that I feel the reason peoe suffer less with mental health in less developed countries is because they DO live in tight knit communities where everybody has a meaningful purpose no matter their level of ability. They support each other and I think it must feel good. Like when you hear stories of joe who walks 7 miles every day to get water, he knows he is carrying that water for his community who need it, because he does this the people in his community who cannot make that journey will survive like the Children and elderly ect. That sort of thing gives life meaning. The western equivalent is walking 7 miles to get water (aka going to work) arriving home to your community with that heavy bucket of water, then your employer takes the bucket from you and hands you just one cup full of water for your family, he keeps the rest and builds a water park and wastes water.
I cannot express how reading this post made me feel - someone FUCKING GETS IT. GOD DAMN. Sorry - caps lock turned off now. Thank you. I wish I could like this a million times - it still wouldn't be enough. There is at least one other person in this godforsaken universe who fucking understands.

M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
I think that allowing us the use of some land to build lives and communities outside of society and western culture could help a lot of people. The cause of a lot of mental distress for many is being forced to study things they have no real interest in/ work pointless jobs that bring them no joy, money or purpose/ inability to find secure housing and the knowledge that no matter how long or hard they work they will never achieve the most basic human needs like shelter/ lack of interest in material things/ not fitting in with herd mentality/ no freedom of expression/ not looking or feeling the way society says we should/ having no interest in the "dream life" that we are expected to aim for "university, job, marriage, house, kids, get old, die etc.
If we were given land and we could form our own community, build our own homes and do work that has a genuine meaningful purpose like growing food for our community, working as a team to tend the land and build shelter, educating ourselves in subjects that directly benefit our lives and community like agriculture, medicine, sanitation etc and generally living a more peaceful and simple life with minimal need for modern drama like money, status, mass consumerism, strict rules and rigid routines, the need to constantly run the gauntlet 24/7 for an unattainable goal. we may actually find a sense of peace, belonging, purpose. We don't fit in the cookie cutter and repeatedly trying to squash us into it HURTS. Accept that we don't fit and let us get off the hamster wheel and choose a different path. Drugs and therapy can only do so much but usually it feels as though they are not designed to make us better, only to grease us up a bit in the vain hope that if you cover us in butter we might eventually slip through the cookie cutter and turn out like the rest of the herd. I feel like a dairy cow that has been bred and farmed to serve a purpose that is of no benefit to me at all and I'm a wright off and disappointment because I failed to produce any milk. Antidepressants are the equivalent to the nasty hormones they feed to dairy cows to increase their milk production even though they are detrimental to the cows health. Just put me out to pasture already.
Edit: just remembered to add that I feel the reason peoe suffer less with mental health in less developed countries is because they DO live in tight knit communities where everybody has a meaningful purpose no matter their level of ability. They support each other and I think it must feel good. Like when you hear stories of joe who walks 7 miles every day to get water, he knows he is carrying that water for his community who need it, because he does this the people in his community who cannot make that journey will survive like the Children and elderly ect. That sort of thing gives life meaning. The western equivalent is walking 7 miles to get water (aka going to work) arriving home to your community with that heavy bucket of water, then your employer takes the bucket from you and hands you just one cup full of water for your family, he keeps the rest and builds a water park and wastes water.
hey, is it okay if I include this in my document of ramblings?

L

Looooser

My 2 cents
Feb 3, 2022
Where I live there is a 6 month waiting list to see someone.... If they take my insurance. I'm on state assisted insurance so that's a small handful. Another issue I have is that when I did call the crisis lines I was on hold for long periods of time. 5 hours on hold was the longest. I actually thought they blocked my number. Then all they do is call the cops for a wellness check which is absolutely worthless. All the police can do is make you go too the ER. And all the doctors do is give me an Ativan and tell me to go home. That's happened 5 times. The last time I was at the ER I told them I was homicidal this time and I was actually put on a 5 day hold. But after one night I was told to go home. I've called various places to try to check myself in but have been turned didn't and was told the only way to get into a mental hospital was if a judge said so. So now I feel like the one way to get any kind of help is to do something crazy and get sent to jail. Jail sucks and I shouldn't have to break the law to get help. And everyone seems to have excuses. First it was covid then it's the governor blah blah blah. I've struggled with mental health issues for 35+ years. It comes down to money and bullshit.

I recently told a friend that I talk on a pro choice website (did not say which one) and the good that this site does and she just couldn't comprehend how I could be in here taking about. I thinking honest open conversation would make a huge difference. And I personally think social media is destroying society. Now there are websites that have ratings about you and your life for other people to look at.

I've always said.... people that can help just don't care and people that want to help just don't know how.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Where I live there is a 6 month waiting list to see someone.... If they take my insurance. I'm on state assisted insurance so that's a small handful. Another issue I have is that when I did call the crisis lines I was on hold for long periods of time. 5 hours on hold was the longest. I actually thought they blocked my number. Then all they do is call the cops for a wellness check which is absolutely worthless. All the police can do is make you go too the ER. And all the doctors do is give me an Ativan and tell me to go home. That's happened 5 times. The last time I was at the ER I told them I was homicidal this time and I was actually put on a 5 day hold. But after one night I was told to go home. I've called various places to try to check myself in but have been turned didn't and was told the only way to get into a mental hospital was if a judge said so. So now I feel like the one way to get any kind of help is to do something crazy and get sent to jail. Jail sucks and I shouldn't have to break the law to get help. And everyone seems to have excuses. First it was covid then it's the governor blah blah blah. I've struggled with mental health issues for 35+ years. It comes down to money and bullshit.

I recently told a friend that I talk on a pro choice website (did not say which one) and the good that this site does and she just couldn't comprehend how I could be in here taking about. I thinking honest open conversation would make a huge difference. And I personally think social media is destroying society. Now there are websites that have ratings about you and your life for other people to look at.

I've always said.... people that can help just don't care and people that want to help just don't know how.
Amen to your last sentence in your post. also like you mentioned @Looooser , it comes down to money. Was going to a mental health clinic and the 1st time I did not want to do something that my insurance would pay for, out I went. Billable time is what it is all about.

Walter

Z

zzzestyzoe

Mar 28, 2022

This is very true I've always suffered from schizophrenia and self harm/ or depression. Well me being schizo leads to the other. I've learned to deal with it and some what ignore it and I've learned how to heighten it because at times I think it's a gift. Idk and most the time I feel very alone dealing with it. The meds don't work cause I still have it. Eating a healthy diet and staying sober from all pharmaceutical and illicit drugs and alcohol doesn't eliminate it. I will always have as I have my brain

FatalSystemError591

FatalSystemError591

{He/They}
Oct 12, 2020
I have come to realize that it is a deeply rooted and systemic issue from so many sides. So much abuse has been left unchecked for so long that it is intrinsically rooted in society and normalized.

So many things in this world used to cope and yet not enough looking at the root of the problem. Addiction is where we see this fail the most. Sure you can have the alcoholic, the drug user, the smoker, the overindulgent foodie, the "get muscles or die trying" obsessive gym rat, the binge gamer, the gambler, the person obsessed with attention online, the compulsive spender, the self harmer, etc. get clean and resist the urge internally but if nothing changes that caused the first pick up of their vice of choice then the urges will forever be there. We do not look enough at what causes a person to fall into habits deemed unhealthy as a societal whole and instead blame the person for trying to self-medicate. We need to take a much larger look at the systemic functions of society and fix the abuse that has been left to fester. It has poisoned generations at this point. Over the past 5 years people have been striving for changes for better or for worse on trying to fix it but for many the damage has been done. Now there is new wounds to heal for these up and coming generations.

We should be taught to recognize abuse, manipulation, exploitation and coercion young. As well as boundary setting and how to shield ourselves from those who seek to harm. The Millennial and Gen Z generations I have seen are raising their children this way more often so the future generations are shielded from the pain we have endured but, not enough of them. Or, like myself, aren't having children all together to make sure no one else comes into this world damaged.

But, we need to work on the bigger pictures. Mental health is an environmental or trauma issue for so many, so if we eliminate those HUGE pieces from the equation we can focus on those whose mental illnesses are spontaneous and genetic.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
It's improving somewhat in some places but just not fast enough; It is also just as prone to the tendency to over-medicate like everything else in the health system currently, at least in the US.