• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

mutagen5577

May 30, 2019
I don't exactly understand why I am afraid of death. Death = isolation, eternal, empty. Yet none of those words have negative connotations when I am not there to experience them. How can I fear something that only appears scary when the true reality of it is eternal peace?

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Its not fear of death per say, its more fear of the unknown. In all the time mankind has been around, with all the technological advances, we still dont have a clue about what it means to die. Lots of accounts of peoples experiences, but nothing definitive. That is the real fear.

My own experience is that death is just the beginning of something much bigger that right now, we cannot possibly understand. But it is certainly nothing to fear and maybe because it is not so unknown to me, its why I dont fear death at all, I will embrace it.

But if you are pumped all your life that suicide is going to mean you spend eternity in hell, or that you will return to this earth because you left too soon, or anything and everything that is negative about death, you are going to believe some of it, or it is at the very least, going to create some severe doubts and fears. Very clever psychology by the creators of such crap.

C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
I don't exactly understand why I am afraid of death. Death = isolation, eternal, empty. Yet none of those words have negative connotations when I am not there to experience them. How can I fear something that only appears scary when the true reality of it is eternal peace?
I believe people fear nothingness, or the distress of the process.

Reactions: Lennox and Circles
Scribble Fan

Scribble Fan

I'm out!
May 30, 2019
Yes, although the known is what people are fleeing. Remember, "matter cannot be destroyed" (a scientific statement), so, in some way, we will be part of the universe, or heaven.

Fleeing the known but fearing the unknown. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

I wouldn't mind being part of the universe, as long as I'm not conscious enough to notice.

Numbtopain97

Numbtopain97

deader than dead
Aug 10, 2019
People are afraid of death for the same reason as being afraid of the dark, because you have no way of knowing what's there. The things that always scare people the most are the unknown and unknowable.

K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
It is human nature to fear that which we don't understand.
Some years ago,I experienced heart failure and was resuscitated with a defibrillator.
I can tell you that I experienced absolutely nothing.
It has been suggested that maybe I wasn't gone quite long enough...this may be true.
All I know is I have no fear of death. But I absolutely DO fear the suffering that comes before it.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
All good reasons, survival instinct would be at the top, first and foremost (not many people are able to easily overcome it), fearing failure (and possibly ending up in a worse situation - ie being a vegetable) then after that, fearing the unknown, and then of course some who are religious or believe in an afterlife are afraid of the consequences that succeed it. Since I'm an atheist myself and don't believe in the afterlife, it would just mainly overcoming SI and making sure that I succeed (easier said than done, but I know if the situation is bad enough and timing is right, then even SI won't get in my way).

K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
The survival instinct is a crazy thing.
It operates at a subconscious level too.
There are many stories of people who have saved themselves whilst being completely unconscious

M

malummo

Student
Jul 15, 2019
I'm not afraid of death. SI is a problem. how to overcome this? how to trick the brain to overcome that primal fear? I'm terribly annoyed that I can't find the courage. like an invisible force holds me. it's frustrating. i admire people who manage to point their middle finger at fear ... i just want that life reward called oblivion.

Reactions: Baskol1
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I don't fear death. It's the dying part that is challenging.

I don't actually want to die, but I am being driven towards it due to circumstances that are beyond my control. A real pity, finally feeling what it's like to have a life and then having it taken away almost immediately. So much left undone...

Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust