• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Especially on social media is starting to really annoy me.

Anyone with a "negative" attitude toward life, is a loser, boring, pathetic, a wimp, a downer, etc. It's "cool" to be an optimist, it's "lame" to be a pessimist or realist.

Like they wanna peer pressure people into changing their world view.

I wonder how many of these constant toxic positivity spouting people secretly don't believe what they're saying, but just don't want to acknowledge the alternative because they know they'd be socially ostracized.

And then there's the ones who believe they cured their depression through positive thinking, and now you can do it too! (Ugh.)

There are a lot of people in genuinely shit circumstances in life, who hate the world and see it for how it is and no amount of temporary pleasures or happiness will change that, nor will adopting a "positive attitude."

I guess I just hate this kind of sentiment of "saying the world/life sucks is depressing so let's just ignore that and pretend like it's not. And also let's treat anyone who has symptoms of "depression" like the plague 'cause they're a bummer."

The world really wants us gone, they should just up and say it, but still won't let us go peacefully.

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
And then there's the ones who believe they cured their depression through positive thinking, and now you can do it too! (Ugh.)
this sentence got me, I lost a friend because apparently, by *seeing the light* and constantly being positive she apparently overcame her depression, and she couldn't handle being around my constant negative behaviour any more!!

if only it was that simple!!

I know people do get fed up of my negative attitude, and tell me to smile, apparently there is nothing to be negative about, and that the past is the past and i need to move forward...
Yea, uck you, id like to see you survive a day in my mind, then tell yourself to cheer up after!

Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with optimism and it can be truly beautiful and create beautiful things. But when these optimists try to drown out distress signals, and turn a blind eye to the cruelty that so obviously runs rampant in this world, it becomes ugly. Be happy, but don't deny reality. Not everyone is having a wonderful time, it's silly to pretend that it's all rainbows.

thisismyusername

thisismyusername

Mar 1, 2020
I think it's more of a tactic these people use (terrible generalizations coming up) to justify that "negative" or upsetting thoughts can't get to them. You never know. Some of the people posting stuff like that are really just trying to grab at some positivity for themselves sometimes. Or at least, thats what I do when I am in a depressive episode. And while it can seem toxic to people experiencing life in a more realistic lens, I can't hate on people thinking that making my bed in the morning or having a nice, long bath might make me feel better. I can just unfollow them on socials.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
this sentence got me, I lost a friend because apparently, by *seeing the light* and constantly being positive she apparently overcame her depression, and she couldn't handle being around my constant negative behaviour any more!!

if only it was that simple!!

I know people do get fed up of my negative attitude, and tell me to smile, apparently there is nothing to be negative about, and that the past is the past and i need to move forward...
Yea, uck you, id like to see you survive a day in my mind, then tell yourself to cheer up after!

People that say that shit to me. I don't speak to them anymore. I explain, then I check out. The main one has been my aunt, telling me to 'be positive'. My response was that depression (which is my condition) is a physical, neurological illness. That of course I would not have chosen to be bedridden for a year, to lose my home, to lose my marriage.

And I didn't say to her F**K YOU. But right now that is how I feel. I have tried so many things to fight this illness and I am so fed up. I'm not suffering forever. Fuck them all.

And anyone that says the past is the past - really fuck them too. Because the past shapes our brains and we can't help that.

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I think it's more of a tactic these people use (terrible generalizations coming up) to justify that "negative" or upsetting thoughts can't get to them. You never know. Some of the people posting stuff like that are really just trying to grab at some positivity for themselves sometimes. Or at least, thats what I do when I am in a depressive episode. And while it can seem toxic to people experiencing life in a more realistic lens, I can't hate on people thinking that making my bed in the morning or having a nice, long bath might make me feel better. I can just unfollow them on socials.
What I'm talking about are those who can't keep the vitriol for people with negative attitudes or depression out of their social media posts. "Self care" is another thing.

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
People that say that shit to me. I don't speak to them anymore. I explain, then I check out. The main one has been my aunt, telling me to 'be positive'. My response was that depression (which is my condition) is a physical, neurological illness. That of course I would not have chosen to be bedridden for a year, to lose my home, to lose my marriage.

And I didn't say to her F**K YOU. But right now that is how I feel. I have tried so many things to fight this illness and I am so fed up. I'm not suffering forever. Fuck them all.

And anyone that says the past is the past - really fuck them too. Because the past shapes our brains and we can't help that.

its true, depression is more then just a life choice, you don't choose one day to just wake up and be depressed, like wise in a way you don't choose to wake up and just be happy, every reaction of emotions happens for a reason,

I have cptsd, I am sorry but you can't just simply snap out of that and be happy.
I blog my journey as anon as I can, that has helped a couple of people understand another side, but those people are strangers and aren't part of my life, I need/want those near me to understand my negative reactions, but they refuse too

Positivity is well over rated anyway

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
its true, depression is more then just a life choice, you don't choose one day to just wake up and be depressed, like wise in a way you don't choose to wake up and just be happy, every reaction of emotions happens for a reason,

I have cptsd, I am sorry but you can't just simply snap out of that and be happy.
I blog my journey as anon as I can, that has helped a couple of people understand another side, but those people are strangers and aren't part of my life, I need/want those near me to understand my negative reactions, but they refuse too

Positivity is well over rated anyway
I have Cptsd too. It is a horribly misunderstood affliction and I know what you are going through.

Instead of pushing for new treatments that target the physical and structural issues in the brain that cause flashbacks and trauma responses, these pollyanas believe in this concept of the "mind" being seperate from neurology and that you can control all your thoughts and emotions, defeating ptsd.

They keep pushing things that don't work like unrealistic positive thinking and wonder why we don't improve. Probably because e fucking ptsd is not something you can get over by having optimism bias, imagine that.

I wish there were real treatments for us, and not these therapies that do absolutely nothing because there is a physical problem there (often increased amygdala size leading to heightened fight or flight response) that isn't being addressed by the psych industry.

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I have Cptsd too. It is a horribly misunderstood affliction and I know what you are going through.

Instead of pushing for new treatments that target the physical and structural issues in the brain that cause flashbacks and trauma responses, these pollyanas believe in this concept of the "mind" being seperate from neurology and that you can control all your thoughts and emotions, defeating ptsd.

They keep pushing things that don't work like unrealistic positive thinking and wonder why we don't improve. Probably because e fucking ptsd is not something you can get over by having optimism bias, imagine that.

I wish there were real treatments for us, and not these therapies that do absolutely nothing because there is a physical problem there (often increased amygdala size leading to heightened fight or flight response) that isn't being addressed by the psych industry.

I was always told that PTSD comes from one trauma, cptsd comes from many, the former is easier to treat as it has one direct cause normally, whilst the latter is more complicated and is harder to treat, as there is no set point of which it can be triggered. I don't know how true this is as,
I have only been diagnosed with this in the last year, and am still coming to terms with it, I've yet to see anyone for it, but tbh being on this forum, I think can be more help then any so called pro life positive read it from a book therapist!

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I hate the aspect of when they think that depression can be remedied in a few days. What do you think they expect someone who's had depression for decades and suddenly switch out of it? Don't get me started on the folks who think mental illness is a choice. Those guys can go suck on a yak's asshole. Stoners who believe that smoking weed everyday can cure anything also piss me off. There's a thousand solutions out there to fix and none of them apply to me or us. Changing our mindset takes time, reframing and reprogramming takes 1 step forward and 5 steps back at any given month.

There are many failures before it becomes a success, just depends on what our tolerance for rejection and failure is and I know for some, 1 more could break us.

TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Disillusioned
May 26, 2019
I think some of these people are not differentiating between a depressive episode and a clinical depression. I've had both (as I'm sure lots of people on SS have). A couple of people I know ( and have stayed away from recently) can't tell the difference and insist that depression can be cured either by positive thinking and prayer.

It's not their fault for initially thinking that, but it is their fault for not hearing us or comprehending there must be a difference. I pity their close mindedness. One of them is now a pastor and God help those he counsels.

For me, I just hate the fact that I LIKE feeling depressed. Or, rather, I both hate it and love it. I can feel so numb most of the time, but when I'm depressed, I feel SOMETHING. And it feels somewhat comforting.

Anyone else feel this way? Or just as fucked up as I think I am??

Darkdreamer001

Darkdreamer001

Student
Jul 17, 2018
I felt my heart skip a beat when you talked about how the world wants to get rid of us but at the same time doesn't want us to leave. Damn that hit hard...I'm still nodding my head to it because that's how I've always felt, even as a small child!!! I'm so confused on how they do things to you to hurt you whether emotionally and/or physically at the same time tell you that you're loved and stay here...it so strange. What a mind screw...I'm tired of the mind games.