• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
Wow, this makes me so angry! In any civilised country such a thing should be illegal!!!

Reactions: heavyeyes
J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
I'm ambivalent about this. With this policy it seems like the university is admitting that it's unequipped to deal with the increase of mental issues and also unwilling to invest more resources into it. It may also be a legal precaution, i.e. if a student ctb on campus and they're afraid of being sued, although I don't know how realistic a possibility that is. I know from experience how hard it is to attend university with serious mental illness. In many cases it's a waste of a time and money. Withdrawing for a time might be a wise course of action, although Yale could make readmission less stressful.

It's a similar situation at my own university, where there's been a huge increase in demand for mental health services. They have some services in place but they are overwhelmed and of limited ability to help. Student suicides are obviously a "bad look" and the university is very hush hush about it. As a TA I received basic training in handling student mental health crises, which is no bad thing, but it shows how thin the line is stretched. It's clearly a major and growing issue (and expense) for universities these days and they are struggling to respond adequately.

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
I'm ambivalent about this. With this policy it seems like the university is admitting that it's unequipped to deal with the increase of mental issues and also unwilling to invest more resources into it. It may also be a legal precaution, i.e. if a student ctb on campus and they're afraid of being sued, although I don't know how realistic a possibility that is. I know from experience how hard it is to attend university with serious mental illness. In many cases it's a waste of a time and money. Withdrawing for a time might be a wise course of action, although Yale could make readmission less stressful.

It's a similar situation at my own university, where there's been a huge increase in demand for mental health services. They have some services in place but they are overwhelmed and of limited ability to help. Student suicides are obviously a "bad look" and the university is very hush hush about it. As a TA I received basic training in handling student mental health crises, which is no bad thing, but it shows how thin the line is stretched. It's clearly a major and growing issue (and expense) for universities these days and they are struggling to respond adequately.
You make very good points. The article mentions that the concern about being sued appears to be their greatest concern. AND based on the article, it appears that their treatment of the students contributed to students' later CTB attempts that succeeded.

BipolarExpress

BipolarExpress

he/him · tired/exhausted
Nov 11, 2022
That's absurd, especially given how hard Yale is to get into! Those students should be allowed to take medical leave and go back to classes whenever they feel better without having to reapply. In general, though, colleges have been terrible at handling depression and suicide on their campuses.

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
They only do this to prevent being sued. Most universities have policies like this, which clearly state they will withdraw students if there is perceived risk of serious self harm. Many parents will sue academic institutions if their child dies by suicide during their studies- regardless of whether or not the underlying cause of the suicide is remotely related to their university life.

Like many other interworkings of our litigious society, this protocol serves as a punitive measure to snuff out culpability for "suicide risk" early, rather than provide any actual assistance to suicidal students. None of these administrators could care less if a random student they've never met is struggling, that individual is immediately classed as a liability who might potentially threaten staff's livelihood if their case drums up a legal scandal.

Most people are too afraid of saying the wrong thing, so they prefer to say nothing at all. It is easier to send the suicidal person away than take any sort of risk. It is easy to wash your hands of responsibility when you've legally absolved your duty of care by booting students out.

Heavenly Pup

Heavenly Pup

Reincarnated
Sep 18, 2021
Does them being suicidal affect their academic performance? If they are still doing well academically, I morally disagree with what Yale is doing.

Reactions: chloramine
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Does them being suicidal affect their academic performance? If they are still doing well academically, I morally disagree with what Yale is doing.
Their academic performance while at Yale is not a thing that is taken into account at all.

• Aww..
Reactions: Heavenly Pup
Gray Wounds

Gray Wounds

A Phantasmagoria
Jun 27, 2018
What the most awful fuck? That's fucking idiotic academia for you. Fucked up, man.

Reactions: Cathy Ames
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
There must be a huge increase in need for mental health services at these institutions I would imagine. Appointments for counseling at my university, for example, was booked consistently and I feel lucky to have even gotten one myself.
I wish things could turn out better for these students.

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
There must be a huge increase in need for mental health services at these institutions I would imagine. Appointments for counseling at my university, for example, was booked consistently and I feel lucky to have even gotten one myself.
I wish things could turn out better for these students.
I'm glad you were able to get an appointment, and I hope you are now in the loop to get your future appointments more easily.

This was mentioned and discussed at some length in the article. I almost think it might be better for you not to read it because you will almost certainly identify, and that's not always a good thing.