• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

DepressedAngel

DepressedAngel

Life is exhausting
Dec 4, 2019
it's been about eight months since my last real post. obviously i'm here, i didn't kill myself, and i'm in "recovery". that brings me to my main question with this post. specifically for my situation (and possibly for others like me), what is recovery?

i have this somewhat irrational thought that my psychiatrist (and others influencing my medications), are using them to control me. it's not easy to "help" someone who has the severe mood swings, mood episodes, impulsivity and other symptoms that come with bipolar. while i understand what they are doing to "help" me; i'm not totally clear on what the final, end result is. is it to make me into a perfectly functioning member of society? someone with emotions level with the rest of the population, "normal" creativity levels, able to hold down a steady job to contribute "just like everyone else"? essentially, a puppet?

i asked my psychiatrist these questions. she told me that she has heard her patients (especially those with bipolar) ask her many times about creativity levels, managed moods, and the effects of taking medications on stabilizing their day to day life. i won't lie, as she talked i was reassured that this was all in my best interest. i need to be stable to be happy. however, she eventually told me, "your episodes have life-threatening risks associated with them. however, you also have intense emotions that those without bipolar do not experience. by taking your medications and remaining stable, you will most likely lost those intense emotions. you definitely won't have your intense highs and lows anymore. that is the point of the medication. so weigh the benefits and the risks, and decide which is most important to you." the obvious and implied answer was to take my medication, remain a good little puppet, and go back to therapy.

i didn't immediately go with the easy, implied answer. i'm still thinking about it. i've always been one to take risks. my emotions are, of course, important to me. i'm not ready to lose the intense emotions i've always had. i already value my life very little; so would it be such a crime to go off of my medication to experience life more fully? the cost of that could be losing my life. what is more important to me, however, is my relationships with friends who have become family. it is more likely i would lose those relationships; either as a result of my symptoms, or at the simple fact that i would not be society's ideal puppet any longer.

i'm honestly not sure what i'll decide. i was wondering if anyone else struggles with these feelings, or similar ones? any input, whether you have experienced this or not, would be greatly appreciated. i hope everyone has a lovely day/night, and always feel free to pm me if you need anything at all.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
It sounds like you are wise not to accept everything you are told. Many therapists just throw a patient on SSRIs and move on to the next patient. You might use the Internet to research what might be better suited for you. For example, if the depression is more of a problem than the high side, you might want to experiment with something that just works on the low side. SAMe is used for depression in Europe and is available over the counter in the US.

Sometimes when someone tells you, "You are just going to have to get used to it", it may mean that their primary objective is their own convenience.

Also if you are going to experiment to discover what might be useful to you, you may wish to research which drugs are more difficult to quit.

It sounds like you are capable of being your own best advocate.