• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Not that this will ever happen, but I just love this poem, probably because it won't ever happen, so it sounds like a distant dream.

"Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life."

--Derek Walcott

Hate the last line though. We've gone this far to forget ourselves and free ourselves from all illusions, we should really just enjoy the bread for what it is.

Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
"I don't understand how people are okay with themselves knowing they emotionally destroyed someone."

-- Unknown

"We used to talk for hours... look at us now."

-- Unknown

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
In your room souls disappear, only you exist here. Will you let the morning come soon or will you leave me lying here? Your favorite innocence, your favorite prize, your favorite smile, your favorite slave...

-- M. L. Gore

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.

I want to put a ding in the universe.

Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.

Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me.

Sometimes life is going to hit you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith.

The hardest thing when you think about focusing. You think focusing is about saying "Yes." No. Focusing is about saying "No." And when you say "No," you piss off people.

It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy.

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

I'm as proud of what we don't do as I am of what we do.

It's rare that you see an artist in his 30s or 40s able to really contribute something amazing.

"A Sister's Eulogy for Steve Jobs," Jobs's last words were "OH WOW. ... OH WOW."

Cheers

Geo

Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
Riding up the winding road of Saint Agnes cemetery in the back of the rattling old truck,
Francis Phelan became aware that the dead, even more than the living, settled down in
neighborhoods. The truck was suddenly surrounded by fields of monuments and
cenotaphs of kindred design and striking size, all guarding the privileged dead. But the
truck moved on and the limits of mere privilege became visible, for here now came the
acres of truly prestigious death: illustrious men and women, captains of life without their
diamonds, furs, carriages, and limousines, but buried in pomp and glory, vaulted in great
tombs built like heavenly safe deposit boxes, or parts of the acropolis. and ah yes, here
too, inevitably, came the flowing masses, row upon row of them under simple
headstones and simpler crosses. here was the neighborhood of the Phelans. Francis's
mother twitched nervously in her grave as the truck carried him nearer to her; and
Francis's father lit his pipe, smiled at his wife's discomfort, and looked out from his own
bit of sod to catch a glimpse of how much his son had changed since the train accident.
Francis's father smoked roots of grass that died in the periodic droughts afflicting the
cemetery. He stored the root essence in his pockets until it was brittle to the touch, then
pulverized it between his fingers and packed his pipe. Francis's mother wove crosses
from the dead dandelions and other deep-rooted weeds; careful to preserve their fullest
length, she wove them while they were still in the green stage of death, then ate them with
an insatiable revulsion.

William Kennedy, Ironweed

You are done for—a living dead man—not when you stop loving but stop hating. Hatred preserves: in it, in its chemistry, resides the "mystery" of life. Not for nothing is hatred still the best tonic ever discovered, for which any organism, however feeble, has a tolerance.

The only subversive mind is the one which questions the obligation to exist; all the others, the anarchist at the head of the list, compromise with the established order.

What should make old age endurable is the pleasure of seeing disappear, one by one, all those who have believed in us and whom we can no longer disappoint.

E.M. Cioran, The New Gods (Strangled Thoughts, excerpts)

Faced as we are with this destiny, there is only one world outlook that is worthy of us, that which has already been mentioned as the Choice of Achilles — better a short life, full of deeds and glory, than a long life without content. Already the danger is so great, for every individual, every class, every people, that to cherish any illusion whatever is deplorable. Time does not suffer itself to be halted; there is no question of prudent retreat or wise renunciation. Only dreamers believe that there is a way out. Optimism is cowardice.

We are born into this time and must bravely follow the path to the destined end. There is no other way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position, without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who, during the eruption of Vesuvius, died at his post because they forgot to relieve him. That is greatness. That is what it means to be a thoroughbred. The honourable end is the one thing that can not be taken from a man.

Oswald Spengler, Man and Technics

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.

-- Salvador Dalí

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.

-- Salvador Dalí
I always thought the quote went like this:
"The only difference between a madman and me is that I'm not mad."
Ah well, perhaps he didn't even say it after all, but I know that he said this:
"The rhinoceros is the only animal that carries an incredible amount of cosmic knowledge within its armor ".

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
I always thought the quote went like this:
"The only difference between a madman and me is that I'm not mad."

Me too. Apparently there are 2 versions of it.

Ah well, perhaps he didn't even say it after all, but I know that he said this:
"The rhinoceros is the only animal that carries an incredible amount of cosmic knowledge within its armor ".

Did he say that to Franco to kiss his fascist ass when the dictator bought him a rhino? :))

Last edited:
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
I'm not afraid of werewolves or vampires or haunted hotels, I'm afraid of what real human beings do to each other real human beings = Walter Jon Williams American writer

Life's like a box of chocolates, for a moment it's sweet and tasty, but it soon turns to shit = Jumper Geo :smiling:

Cheers Geo

Reactions: MrBigSad
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
-- Bertrand Russell

Una

Una

Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.
Feb 28, 2020

"For one human being to love another; that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks, the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation. I hold this to be the highest task for a bond between two people: that each protects the solitude of the other. This is the miracle that happens every time to those who really love: the more they give, the more they possess." (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Squalo

Squalo

A Fatal Mistake
Jan 14, 2021
I am attracted to bad people because they are very human.
- Takashi Miike

Reactions: terrastella
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
"Nothing is more curious and awkward than the relationship of two people who only know each other with their eyes — who meet and observe each other daily, even hourly and who keep up the impression of disinterest either because of morals or because of a mental abnormality. Between them there is listlessness and pent-up curiosity, the hysteria of an unsatisfied, unnaturally suppressed need for communion and also a kind of tense respect. Because man loves and honors man as long as he is not able to judge him, and desire is a product of lacking knowledge."

--Thomas Mann

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
How come?
Maybe I'm just paranoid, I hope he managed not to hurt anyone. I find hebephilia disturbing.

" Mann's wife Katia (in a 1974 book) recalls that the idea for Death in Venice came during an actual vacation in Venice (staying at the Grand Hôtel des Bains), which she and Thomas took in the summer of 1911:
All the details of the story, beginning with the man at the cemetery, are taken from experience... In the dining-room, on the very first day, we saw the Polish family, which looked exactly the way my husband described them: the girls were dressed rather stiffly and severely, and the very charming, beautiful boy of about 13 was wearing a sailor suit with an open collar and very pretty lacings. He caught my husband's attention immediately. This boy was tremendously attractive, and my husband was always watching him with his companions on the beach. He didn't pursue him through all of Venice—that he didn't do—but the boy did fascinate him, and he thought of him often… I still remember that my uncle, Privy Counsellor Friedberg, a famous professor of canon law in Leipzig, was outraged. "

Reactions: S like suicide
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Maybe I'm just paranoid, I hope he managed not to hurt anyone. I find hebephilia disturbing.

" Mann's wife Katia (in a 1974 book) recalls that the idea for Death in Venice came during an actual vacation in Venice (staying at the Grand Hôtel des Bains), which she and Thomas took in the summer of 1911:
All the details of the story, beginning with the man at the cemetery, are taken from experience... In the dining-room, on the very first day, we saw the Polish family, which looked exactly the way my husband described them: the girls were dressed rather stiffly and severely, and the very charming, beautiful boy of about 13 was wearing a sailor suit with an open collar and very pretty lacings. He caught my husband's attention immediately. This boy was tremendously attractive, and my husband was always watching him with his companions on the beach. He didn't pursue him through all of Venice—that he didn't do—but the boy did fascinate him, and he thought of him often… I still remember that my uncle, Privy Counsellor Friedberg, a famous professor of canon law in Leipzig, was outraged. "
Well, it is beyond any reasonable doubt that Mann the elder was a weirdo. I was merely perturbed by your declaration that you were "pretty sure he did something despicable to some boy". Regarding the "not hurting anyone" part: his children certainly suffered, especially Klaus.
He was nevertheless a spectacular stylist and technician.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Regarding the "not hurting anyone" part: his children certainly suffered, especially Klaus.
Yeah, he didn't have to actually fuck any kids to fuck them up

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Une victoire racontée en détail, on ne sait plus ce qui la distingue d'une défaite.
- Sartre (Le Diable et le Bon Dieu)

Translation: When a victory is related in detail, one does not know anymore what distinguishes it from a defeat.