Will-I-Dream

Will-I-Dream

Cartoon Head
Jul 18, 2020
First off, I just want to say "Hi" as this is my first post. But l've lurked the forums quite a lot recently. So.. Hi!

I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to CTB. My last two attempts I either stopped or called for an ambulance.

I've been acquiring bits and pieces to build an exit machine of sorts as a kind of cathartic release. I'm not sure I'll use it, but it's nice to know it's there.

My rig is a tank of Nitrogen Oxide hooked up to a non-rebreather mask. (It's a kind of oxygen mask with a small bag and a one way valve, so any co2 is expelled and provides a constant stream of laughing gas.)

If it fails for whatever reason, at least I'll catch a decent buzz. (Pardon the pun)

If anyone has any input or questions at all about my method I'd be happy to discuss them.

Cheers!

Reactions: Greenberg, Georgii and Alucard
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Or you will vomit into the mask due to nitrous oxide and aspirate or suffer from long term damage due to hypoxia and an incorrect seal or you will have lung trauma...

there is a reason these masks aren't recommended.

Reactions: WearyOfStruggling
Will-I-Dream

Will-I-Dream

Cartoon Head
Jul 18, 2020
Or you will vomit into the mask due to nitrous oxide and aspirate or suffer from long term damage due to hypoxia and an incorrect seal or you will have lung trauma...

there is a reason these masks aren't recommended.

I've never heard of n2o inducing vomiting. I've used it quite a lot recreationally.

Why exactly is a mask not recommended? I assume you mean using a bag instead? If so, what advantage dose a bag have over a mask?

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
If you haven't heard of it inducing vomitting, you may need to do some additional research. My advice to you would be to research all of the questions you have asked, both here, pph, and elsewhere.

you are contemplating something serious without having fully researched the ramifications

Will-I-Dream

Will-I-Dream

Cartoon Head
Jul 18, 2020
It was my research that lead me to believe this would be the most ideal way for me.

There are obviously risks with any method. I'm open to discussion, but you seem to come across as rather hostile for some reason. Hopefully I'm just misreading you.

Though I must admit. My first interaction with this forum certainly dose not feel welcoming at all.

Edit: typo.

Last edited:
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
What you do with yourself is for you to do with yourself. My concern, and there is zero hostility, is that others will Interpret this method as being well thought out and free from removable risks. I pointed out in my original posts the risks that would not be present Or significantly ameliorated with a different gas or different headgear.

Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Faster We Run, And We Die Young
Aug 29, 2020
What you do with yourself is for you to do with yourself. My concern, and there is zero hostility, is that others will Interpret this method as being well thought out and free from removable risks. I pointed out in my original posts the risks that would not be present Or significantly ameliorated with a different gas or different headgear.

Are you saying vomiting will also occur with an exit bag + Nitrogen or just with a Non-rebreather + Nitrogen? Also, Nitrous Oxide is a different gas to Nitrogen, no?

Reactions: Meditation guide
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
No, I was referring to nitrous oxide specifically which is biologically active and causes nausea (among other things). Biologically inert gases, such as nitrogen or argon do not induce this. While prolonged low oxygen environments can cause nausea, this is exactly what an exit bag is designed to prevent (long periods of reduced (not no) oxygen).

Reactions: Greenberg and Stepheng7287
Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Aug 29, 2020
No, I was referring to nitrous oxide specifically which is biologically active and causes nausea (among other things). Biologically inert gases, such as nitrogen or argon do not induce this. While prolonged low oxygen environments can cause nausea, this is exactly what an exit bag is designed to prevent (long periods of reduced (not no) oxygen).

I don't know if it's because I haven't been drinking much water today or not, but I'm not following. "Prolonged low oxygen environments" can cause nausea, but "long periods of reduced oxygen" will not? An exit bag is a completely oxygen free environment, no? And so is a properly fitting NRB mask?

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
My rig is a tank of Nitrogen Oxide
Is this nitrous oxide, otherwise known as laughing gas? I almost blacked out one time from nitrous oxide. It made me wonder if you could ctb from it.

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Prolonged low oxygen environments, such as altitude sickness or simulated high altitude tests, induce physiologic changes that can lead to nausea in time. I was not intending to suggest this is a major concern with an exit bag.

Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Aug 29, 2020
Prolonged low oxygen environments, such as altitude sickness or simulated high altitude tests, induce physiologic changes that can lead to nausea in time. I was not intending to suggest this is a major concern with an exit bag.

But is it a concern with a non-rebreather mask?

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
As I mentioned before, I wouldn't use anything other than a bag or full face scuba regulator (I've watched people vomit underwater with a scuba regulator). I don't care for the non rebreather masks for fitment issues and oxygen/air leakage. I don't view the risk of vomiting high with inert gas and can be mitigated by being completely fasted, but if you vomit in a non rebreathing mask, you are going to have issues. On the plus side, if you are unconscious from oxygen deprivation, that won't make you wake up.

I never noticed your signature. Are you an AiC fan?

• Informative
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow
Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Aug 29, 2020
As I mentioned before, I wouldn't use anything other than a bag or full face scuba regulator (I've watched people vomit underwater with a scuba regulator). I don't care for the non rebreather masks for fitment issues and oxygen/air leakage. I don't view the risk of vomiting high with inert gas and can be mitigated by being completely fasted, but if you vomit in a non rebreathing mask, you are going to have issues. On the plus side, if you are unconscious from oxygen deprivation, that won't make you wake up.

I never noticed your signature. Are you an AiC fan?

So you've seen people vomit in a scuba mask but would still recommend one? And what if the NRB fits me perfectly? You still wouldn't recommen?

And yeah, big AiC fan! ;)

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Sorry I was referencing two separate things. I have witnessed someone vomit very deep underwater due to motion sickness while using a mouth only regulator. The purge valve was able to clear the vomit (though obviously someone unconscious couldn't use this.

A full face mask has significantly more volume in the event an individual vomits and is far more robust/won't clog. While the non-rebreather mask fits fine now, will that be the case with muscle slackening? If your head turns will it be displaced? If you were to vomit and violently open your mouth, would the mask move? I don't know the answers to that. The one protracted helium death using one, if not due to a helium air mixture, was due to air leaking in/poorly fitting mask. Did the mask fit ok initially but fail due to one of the above? I have no clue.

Again, it's certainly your call, but I would not use one, not when there is a simple, tested alternative that works, though it may increase anxiety in some people for the 10 or so seconds they are conscious.

• Informative
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow and Stepheng7287