• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Hi, I know I'm always researching supplements. Lithium Orotate is a supplement which doesn't need a prescription, and has some great reviews for depression. Here is just a selection of them on Amazon from one supplement...

It apparently takes two weeks, so I'm going to test it and will let you know how it goes.... 5 mg a day dose I'll test...

Azzy69

Azzy69

-
Aug 8, 2019
What is the difference between lith orate and regular lith? I am on regular lith for bipolar disorder so was just wondering.....

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I don't know much about it, but I'd be very careful with any form of lithium. I don't think that's a drug I'd recommend not being under a doctor's care while taking.

Prescription lithium is potent and you can experience toxicity very quickly. It can damage your kidneys and thyroid. That's why you have to have levels tested frequently.

The form you're talking about contains a lot less lithium per dose than the prescription stuff. There apparently isn't a lot of research on how it treats depression or any of that stuff. So I just don't even know if it's worth it.

If you do try it, just pay attention to any side effects you might have and be careful. Good luck.

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
As above, be careful with lithium. People do usually have to have regular bloods taken while on it. But that being said, let us know how it goes. I am curious.

Edward1

Edward1

Meh!
Sep 18, 2019
The good thing about taking lithium is that you can put yourself on recharge every night, and wake up in the morning at 100%

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Hi, I know I'm always researching supplements. Lithium Orotate is a supplement which doesn't need a prescription, and has some great reviews for depression. Here is just a selection of them on Amazon from one supplement...

It apparently takes two weeks, so I'm going to test it and will let you know how it goes.... 5 mg a day dose I'll test...

I get the impression that you are like me: very desperate and prepared to try anything. Obviously, I can't condemn you for that. In short, I think k75 hits the nail on the head. Still, I think it might be worth giving it a shot, because as has already been pointed out, it's not a strong substance. Don't take high doses, though. The therapeutic window for prescription lithium is so small that when I started taking it and got a slightly too high concentration in my blood, it was as if I had a very bad case of influenza and had to stay home from work for a week and lost six kilos.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I had an experience similar to @Sensei. Lithium is just such a touchy drug. I'm currently on it for the second time. The first, I experienced lithium toxicity very quickly right at the dose that happened to give me the most benefits. My prescriber then dropped my dose too low and it no longer worked, so I stopped.

This time, he has me right under my theraputic dose, which is super frustrating. I know it could be working well, but the price I'd pay is potential toxicity. I don't know what to do. For now, I'm calling it better than nothing.

When lithium works (for me, at least), it's an amazing difference. It can completely erase suicidal ideation. My prescriber says it's the only med proven for that. So I do think it's a drug worth exploring. I'm just really not comfortable with the idea of doing any form of it without a doctor.

But I really do hope you find relief. It could make all the difference.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Hi
I had an experience similar to @Sensei. Lithium is just such a touchy drug. I'm currently on it for the second time. The first, I experienced lithium toxicity very quickly right at the dose that happened to give me the most benefits. My prescriber then dropped my dose too low and it no longer worked, so I stopped.

This time, he has me right under my theraputic dose, which is super frustrating. I know it could be working well, but the price I'd pay is potential toxicity. I don't know what to do. For now, I'm calling it better than nothing.

When lithium works (for me, at least), it's an amazing difference. It can completely erase suicidal ideation. My prescriber says it's the only med proven for that. So I do think it's a drug worth exploring. I'm just really not comfortable with the idea of doing any form of it without a doctor.

But I really do hope you find relief. It could make all the difference.
@k75 I really understand your hesitation, especially given everything you've been through. I would never recommend anyone to go off their medication. Saying, that, I really recommend you read (all) the reviews. Some people who could not handle prescription Lithium did much better on Lithium Orotate (as it crosses blood-brain barrier more easily...). The reviews are definitely worth a read.

For me, it is too early to say, as it's just been two days. But today I feel the happiest I have felt in months, and no suicidal thoughts. I usually have suicidal thoughts all day, every day - and have been writing my will and planning my exit I'm great detail.

I don't want to say this works for me yet, as I've pooped out many times before. But this is the most stable and calm I've been all year. I even dressed not like a tramp today and feel human.

I guess I'll enjoy today while it lasts, and I'll report back again xx
What is the difference between lith orate and regular lith? I am on regular lith for bipolar disorder so was just wondering.....
This is much lower dose than prescription and doesn't need the same monitoring. My dad's friend has Bipolar and Lithium Orotate didn't work for him. If you read the reviews it does help some people though, and there is a New York psychiatrist, Robert D McMullen who recommends it for depression. Some people also use it for mood swings, and there are some reviews who use it for Bipolar, maybe particularly those who couldn't tolerate prescription Lithium, or who don't have insurance. In the reviews there are some people with treatment resistant depression who had success.

Last edited:
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
The first, I experienced lithium toxicity very quickly right at the dose that happened to give me the most benefits. My prescriber then dropped my dose too low and it no longer worked, so I stopped.

Almost the same here. The most therapeutic dose for me is toxic. However, lower doses work for me too, but not even close to as well as higher doses.

It can completely erase suicidal ideation. My prescriber says it's the only med proven for that.

I can confirm that this actually is a fact. Unfortunately, lithium doesn't have that effect on me, unless I take a toxic dose as mentioned above.

Reactions: Never Free
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Hi

@k75

For me, it is too early to say, as it's just been two days. But today I feel the happiest I have felt in months, and no suicidal thoughts. I usually have suicidal thoughts all day, every day - and have been writing my will and planning my exit I'm great detail.

I don't want to say this works for me yet, as I've pooped out many times before. But this is the most stable and calm I've been all year. I even dressed not like a tramp today and feel human.

I guess I'll enjoy today while it lasts, and I'll report back again xx

That is amazing news! I experience the thoughts as frequently as you do, so I totally understand how it feels to be free of them, even for a little while. I hope it lasts, but even if it doesn't, it at least shows it's possible!

Almost the same here. The most therapeutic dose for me is toxic. However, lower doses work for me too, but not even close to as well as higher doses.

I guess this lower dose is technically doing something for me still, because I keep managing to make it through the day, but the thoughts are definitely still here. They're just maybe dulled just enough to survive. At my best dose, it was all gone and I actually felt happy and motivated. The difference was night and day.

Last edited:
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I was recently prescribed Lithium, but my doctor never ordered any blood to be taken and I'm afraid to take it

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I was recently prescribed Lithium, but my doctor never ordered any blood to be taken and I'm afraid to take it

That sounds a little bit fishy. Did he say why he prescribed you lithium? As far as I know, it's only prescribed to people suffering from bipolar disorder. As for blood tests, they are done after you start taking lithium, not before.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
That sounds a little bit fishy. Did he say why he prescribed you lithium? As far as I know, it's only prescribed to people suffering from bipolar disorder. As for blood tests, they are done after you start taking lithium, not before.
I was diagnosed with bipolar and he said he prescribed it for my suicidal thoughts

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
@Sensei, it can be prescribed for major depressive disorder as well. I'm not bipolar, but I am a bit treatment resistant and they thought it would help just because of the suicidal urges.

@Squiddy I was terrified to take it, but I made myself try and it wasn't nearly as scary as I'd feared. They usually order labs 2-4 weeks after you start, since it has to get into your system first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I was diagnosed with bipolar and he said he prescribed it for my suicidal thoughts

So you are bipolar? Then I definitely think you should take your prescribed medicine. If you feel ill, just contact your doctor. Don't expect fast results, though. It can take a few weeks or even months.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
So you are bipolar? Then I definitely think you should take your prescribed medicine. If you feel ill, just contact your doctor. Don't expect fast results, though. It can take a few weeks or even months.
Okay. I usually find that I respond to meds pretty quickly so hopefully, it works

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
@Sensei, it can be prescribed for major depressive disorder as well. I'm not bipolar, but I am a bit treatment resistant and they thought it would help just because of the suicidal urges.

Ah, I see. I was completely unaware of that. It makes sense. It's all a big spectrum really and diangoses can be quite blunt instruments.
Okay. I usually find that I respond to meds pretty quickly so hopefully, it works

Oh, you are? Well, I'm actually the same. Then it might start working within a couple of weeks if you're lucky. How much have they told you about bipolar disorder?

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
This is much lower dose than prescription and doesn't need the same monitoring. My dad's friend has Bipolar and Lithium Orotate didn't work for him. If you read the reviews it does help some people though, and there is a New York psychiatrist, Robert D McMullen who recommends it for depression. Some people also use it for mood swings, and there are some reviews who use it for Bipolar, maybe particularly those who couldn't tolerate prescription Lithium, or who don't have insurance. In the reviews there are some people with treatment resistant depression who had success.
Oops double posted, sorry. Lovely chatting with you all and season's greetings

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I think most of these illnesses have so much overlap. It's really no wonder there's so much trial and error with meds.

My experience has been that a lot of bipolar meds can also treat major depression, but I've heard normal antidepressants are extremely bad for bipolar and can make it worse.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I think most of these illnesses have so much overlap. It's really no wonder there's so much trial and error with meds.

Absolutly.There's no wonder misdiagnosis is common either.

My experience has been that a lot of bipolar meds can also treat major depression, but I've heard normal antidepressants are extremely bad for bipolar and can make it worse.

They can be extremely bad. I have personal experience of this, actually. I only get hypomanic episodes with my particular diagnoses, but when I was given antidepressants before I was properly diagnosed, I had something resembling a manic episode. I only slept three hours a night, was promiscuous, ruined my economy, and did many other things which are alien to me. I'm happy it didn't turn out worse than it did.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
They can be extremely bad. I have personal experience of this, actually. I only get hypomanic episodes with my particular diagnoses, but when I was given antidepressants before I was properly diagnosed, I had something resembling a manic episode. I only slept three hours a night, was promiscuous, ruined my economy, and did many other things which are alien to me. I'm happy it didn't turn out worse than it did.
Wow, that's really pretty scary. I've had certain drugs trigger something close to a manic state in me, but it was very artificial. I made regrettable decisions, though. Especially spending money I didn't have. We briefly explored the possibility that I could be bipolar at one point, but it was clearly a drug interaction, and I've never just randomly experienced anything like that.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Wow, that's really pretty scary. I've had certain drugs trigger something close to a manic state in me, but it was very artificial. I made regrettable decisions, though. Especially spending money I didn't have. We briefly explored the possibility that I could be bipolar at one point, but it was clearly a drug interaction, and I've never just randomly experienced anything like that.

Yes, medicines, drugs, brain damage, and dementia can cause states resembling mania. What I experienced is actually called medicine-induced mania. Maybe you're in the outer regiions of the bipolar spectrum and only have small and subclinical symptoms. The individual variations are enourmous.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Yes, medicines, drugs, brain damage, and dementia can cause states resembling mania. What I experienced is actually called medicine-induced mania. Maybe you're in the outer regiions of the bipolar spectrum and only have small and subclinical symptoms. The individual variations are enourmous.
That's an interesting idea. I'm going to put more research into it for sure. Thanks for that.

Never Free

Never Free

Student
Feb 6, 2019

The drugs are often sedating and can dull thoughts, and feelings. They aren't exacting in the thoughts and feelings they dull. That's why many complain about feeling snowed, or sedated, but they are used on many symptoms.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Hello all - my update on Lithium Orotate is that I am feeling crushed, as after 11 days of the happiest days of my life, it has stopped working for me.

My friend tells me to try it for a month. But some articles say that as the Orotate crosses the blood/brain barrier instantly, it should work instantly. And for two weeks it did work for me instantly - and so many reviews are so good of Lithium Orotate.

I don't know whether to keep it going for another few weeks - I have doubld the dose - or give up and move on to the next thing I am trying.

I was hoping to return here and report something more positive re Lithium Orotate. I had given up all hope of feeling better, then for those 11 days I was getting my life back, thinking I'd return to work, updating my CV, dressing better. Not believing my luck that I could be someone that felt happy. Now back to this bedridden life again.

• Hugs