• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
How do I pick a profession if all of them seem equally horrible? I have no interests whatsoever and have failed at all previous jobs and educational opportunities. I'd like for the training period to be short if possible, since I'm already very old and still living with parents (no savings, no job, no nothing). Please post a reply if you have something non-obvious that you think I haven't thought of/ been told already.

Looking for some kind of epiphany here, I know it's childish. At the same time it can't hurt to see if someone knows something I don't.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Night security guard. It's an easy job with minimal social interaction. You're not so much there for security reasons, as for insurance reasons. You more or less just sit around and listen to podcasts all night or something. If trouble happens, you just call the police.

Training period shouldn't be longer than a few weeks depending on country and what clearance you want. Consider if you want to go armed or unarmed. Armed get paid better but also higher risk getting given troublesome responsibilities. I'd recommend unarmed.

I had done some research on this since I considered going this route if I hadn't gone white collar.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Night security guard. It's an easy job with minimal social interaction. You're not so much there for security reasons, as for insurance reasons. You more or less just sit around and listen to podcasts all night or something. If trouble happens, you just call the police.

Training period shouldn't be longer than a few weeks depending on country and what clearance you want. Consider if you want to go armed or unarmed. Armed get paid better but also higher risk getting given troublesome responsibilities. I'd recommend unarmed.

I had done some research on this since I considered going this route if I hadn't gone white collar.
Already considered, my friend. But I actually forgot about this job, so thanks for the reminder. I'd like to pick something that can't get replaced by a camera and a piece of simple electronics if possible. I guess I could go for it and then change professions when the robots start fucking my shit up. You completely guessed what I was after somehow, so you deserve credit for that. I'd love to have a job where I don't have to do anything and I'm not scared of going to work with the baton and mace when tweens try to break into a garage.

Reactions: Makko
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Both landlords and insurance companies will want humans on hand for another good while still. Robots are nowhere near being able to fulfill all security needs unsupervised and don't have the same effect of psychological deterrent.

Another solitary job that sounds nice is long-range trucker. I don't know anything about it though.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Both landlords and insurance companies will want humans on hand for another good while still. Robots are nowhere near being able to fulfill all security needs unsupervised and don't have the same effect of psychological deterrent.

Another solitary job that sounds nice is long-range trucker. I don't know anything about it though.
Haha, you're on fire, I have also considered that. But I don't have a regular driver's license even and they cost money. I think I'd like the job though, music and podcasts whilst driving. Now that job is in even greater danger of automation than sedentary camera watcher, hehe. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply, btw.

Reactions: Makko
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Librarian, book store, you just inventory books all day, no customer engagement. It's boring mind-numbing at times.

There's city sanitation worker or garbageman, they pay pretty good, but you'll have to get used to smelling like garbage all day

Onlyfans, sit in front of a webcam and stick sharpies in your pooper for money at the cost of your self-respect and dignity.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Librarian, book store, you just inventory books all day, no customer engagement. It's boring mind-numbing at times.

There's city sanitation worker or garbageman, they pay pretty good, but you'll have to get used to smelling like garbage all day

Onlyfans, sit in front of a webcam and stick sharpies in your pooper for money at the cost of your self-respect and dignity.
I can't get any job that does not require an education/training, neither can I get a job that is not very short on people. I have awful social skills, unable to network, low motivation, bad at everything, etc. So I can't get those sorts of jobs. I thank you for the reply, I got way more help than I thought I would get, thank you!

neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
What about a park ranger or firewatcher? Those are pretty solitary. Being a ranger doesn't pay much, but depending on where you work it can potentially be a government job with solid benefits.

You can do look for something pretty low key, like data entry or order fulfillment. Subtitling, transcription, and editing might be good choices if you have decent grammar and spelling. Maybe don't even look for a "profession" right now, just try and find something tolerable to get the ball rolling. You become more employable once you have more on your resume.

This requires a bit more effort/time, but something I've heard of a number of people teaching themselves to do grant writing (there are resources online for this). Basically you do research about grants/awards/etc. that a nonprofit might be eligible for, and then apply for those opportunities on behalf of the nonprofit. You can start by volunteering to do this for small nonprofits for a little while and get the basics down, and then get a real job doing it once you can show you have some experience. It's not quite one-and-done, but there are always grant writing positions open.

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
What about a park ranger or firewatcher? Those are pretty solitary. Being a ranger doesn't pay much, but depending on where you work it can potentially be a government job with solid benefits.

You can do look for something pretty low key, like data entry or order fulfillment. Subtitling, transcription, and editing might be good choices if you have decent grammar and spelling. Maybe don't even look for a "profession" right now, just try and find something tolerable to get the ball rolling. You become more employable once you have more on your resume.

This requires a bit more effort/time, but something I've heard of a number of people teaching themselves to do grant writing (there are resources online for this). Basically you do research about grants/awards/etc. that a nonprofit might be eligible for, and then apply for those opportunities on behalf of the nonprofit. You can start by volunteering to do this for small nonprofits for a little while and get the basics down, and then get a real job doing it once you can show you have some experience. It's not quite one-and-done, but there are always grant writing positions open.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Reactions: neitherherenorthere
E

emptyhead

Nov 20, 2019
How do I pick a profession if all of them seem equally horrible? I have no interests whatsoever and have failed at all previous jobs and educational opportunities. I'd like for the training period to be short if possible, since I'm already very old and still living with parents (no savings, no job, no nothing). Please post a reply if you have something non-obvious that you think I haven't thought of/ been told already.

Looking for some kind of epiphany here, I know it's childish. At the same time it can't hurt to see if someone knows something I don't.
My experience was that no job was good because of the undiagnosed problems I had that were causing me difficulties. I kept looking, kept changing but everything was too hard. I wasted decades trying to force myself to "be stronger" and blame myself for my problems.

Then I got diagnosed with high functioning autism, ADHD and PTSD. If I had have got these diagnosed earlier I undoubtedly wouldn't have ended up so suicidal and psychologically damaged.

If it's possible, try to find if there's any known psychiatric/neurological/developmental things that describe your issues and look into getting help with them first.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
My experience was that no job was good because of the undiagnosed problems I had that were causing me difficulties. I kept looking, kept changing but everything was too hard. I wasted decades trying to force myself to "be stronger" and blame myself for my problems.

Then I got diagnosed with high functioning autism, ADHD and PTSD. If I had have got these diagnosed earlier I undoubtedly wouldn't have ended up so suicidal and psychologically damaged.

If it's possible, try to find if there's any known psychiatric/neurological/developmental things that describe your issues and look into getting help with them first.
Already on it, but I doubt I have anything. Waited to get checked out for two years now I think, a lot of autistic kids take precedence over manchildren like myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: neitherherenorthere
E

emptyhead

Nov 20, 2019
Already on it, but I doubt I have anything. Waited to get checked out for two years now I think, a lot of autistic kids take precedence over manchildren like myself.
I was exactly like this. The trouble with having problems from being a child, and maybe growing up in an environment where your emotional needs aren't given any attention, is that you don't think there's a problem because it's "normal" to you. That's why I wasn't diagnosed until I was 45!! And the issues had been there since I was a kid. Just no-one, including me, thought they were issues.

I remember being surprised that things I hadn't even identified as being a problem to me where classic signs of autism or ADHD or PTSD. An outside perspective is invaluable.

I've got some links to questionnaires for autism and ADHD if you'd like to try them. Even if it's just to rule them out.

Edit: feel free to PM if you want to talk about things you've already looked into if you don't feel like sharing publicly. Believe me, I understand the Shame from some thoughts or ideas

Last edited:
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I was exactly like this. The trouble with having problems from being a child, and maybe growing up in an environment where your emotional needs aren't given any attention, is that you don't think there's a problem because it's "normal" to you. That's why I wasn't diagnosed until I was 45!! And the issues had been there since I was a kid. Just no-one, including me, thought they were issues.

I remember being surprised that things I hadn't even identified as being a problem to me where classic signs of autism or ADHD or PTSD. An outside perspective is invaluable.

I've got some links to questionnaires for autism and ADHD if you'd like to try them. Even if it's just to rule them out.

Edit: feel free to PM if you want to talk about things you've already looked into if you don't feel like sharing publicly. Believe me, I understand the Shame from some thoughts or ideas
The questionnaires come back negative, that's why I think I don't have any neurological stuff going on.