• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

R

ronigail9

Student
Oct 5, 2019
Things, experiences, etc seems appealing when someone else does it or has it, but when I get that very thing it seems distorted and changed and It's not what it seems and I don't like it. It could be a relationship, college, possessions, goals dreams etc
It's a very strange phenomenon.

XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
The grass is hardly ever greener on the other side.

(Unless your neighbour is Queen Elizabeth II, in which case you can be pretty sure that her grass is greener, and her life is more awesome than yours. :pfff: )

ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
yes. lots of times. thought that getting into the most prestigious high school, went to parties, got drunk and had a boyfriend, life you'd get better. I had everything I wished for (except good parents) and still life was miserable. Later, I thought that getting accepted on med school would change my life, and that maybe by accomplishing something lots of my colleagues wanted and was also hard to get I would finally feel completed, like I belonged. It didn't. In fact it made me more miserable.

You see, the thing is, as a user on this forum told me, no matter where I go, where I am, what I am doing, I can't escape myself. I could become a millionaire and I'd be rich and sad. Achieving meaning and happiness is way more complicated than get things and social status. Everyone believes I have got the best life within my social background has to offer, and maybe I do, but it doesn't make a difference, cause the problem is not the background, is not what I have, not what I am doing, the problem is me.

We all wish for the things we don't have, therefore nothing will ever be enough.

G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
If that's the case why kill ourselves then
Sorry, is it a given that everyone on SS ctbs?
Things, experiences, etc seems appealing when someone else does it or has it, but when I get that very thing it seems distorted and changed and It's not what it seems and I don't like it. It could be a relationship, college, possessions, goals dreams etc
It's a very strange phenomenon.
Personally I don't think that it's as clear cut. I mean I always wanted a solid relationship and envied those who seemingly had, and when I had it I was truly happy, but the other person chose another path. There's always some context that may or may not change our goals that we should be mindful of.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: XYZ
R

ronigail9

Student
Oct 5, 2019
Sorry, is it a given that everyone on SS ctbs?
If you are on this side of the suicide discussion, you are at least considering ctb or you have no business here. There is another side for"recovery". I was presenting a hypothetical situation.

Last edited:
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Are you retarded? If you are on this side of the suicide discussion, you are considering ctb. There is another side for"recovery". I was presenting a hypothetical situation. You must be young or immature
Mmm... nope. SS is a free community where everything mental health related can be discussed, including ctb. Are you insinuating that everyone who posts in this section and not "recovery" owes you a ctb? Read the rules honey, they're there for a reason.

XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Are you retarded? If you are on this side of the suicide discussion, you are considering ctb. There is another side for"recovery". I was presenting a hypothetical situation. You must be young or immature

I am sorry to see you brought down the level of this conversation to a level which makes it impossible for me to participate in the discussion. @GoneGoneGone does not merit your disrespectful response.

Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I can definitely relate to wanting someone else's life, but I've never been able to imitate their successes to find out what it's actually like. I do imagine that it wouldn't satisfy me though, because that would be too good to be true.

Reactions: ronigail9
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I don't really envy other people's lives or anything, but I do want things, and then I get the things and feel just as bad as I did before. Or maybe worse, because I dwell on the fact that it didn't help at all.

watsonsmith

watsonsmith

Aug 31, 2020
I was a speaker during an alumni event at my high school. I talked about my accomplishments, which by that time where considerable given my young age (26) – finishing one of the best universities in the world, getting a significant international award for my research in Africa, working in a high position in a global finance institution and being an advisor to the government. These were probably the reasons why they invited me. However, I tried drilling into their current cohort heads that the most important question you need to answer in your life is "who am I"?

I told them that school is the time for self-discovery, experimentation, finding what you enjoy and what you are good at. Not excelling for the sake of excelling and meeting some external expectations or otherwise extrinsic measures of success will make you successful. You are successful when you know who you are and with that stable base you can contribute the most – and what that most is? Being happy in your life and radiating this joy. This spills over other people and this world. No fancy degree, no high-powered position, no amount of likes on Instagram, nothing about your looks can make up for that.

Aside from educational and professional successes I had long-term relationships with amazing women, I know what love and commitment is, I had friends, I travelled half the world, pretty much anything most people looking from the outside would want.

But I was in agony for as long as I can remember. Anhedonia, depression (which I "managed" with alcohol), growing anxiety issues and overall despair. All this eventually brought me to a complete breakdown, multiple psychiatric diagnoses and now I find myself on a coach in my childhood home feeling like a complete failure with no idea what to do with my life next. I have no idea who I am or what I like, because I pursued other people's dreams. Don't ever do that, there is a time in your life to fully focus on yourself, to discover what your dreams are.

Never envy other people or wish to swap places with them. Anyone can find a purpose in their lives (obviously I am preaching to a privileged enough crowd), focus on that.

The status games we play have become extremely difficult with the abundance of seemingly successful people putting themselves on display on the Internet. Just the other day I was walking past a football pitch and saw some young boys playing there. I remember the time when I was a kid and feeling like someone meant to score that one goal and being the local hero. As I was growing up I realised that to be someone, to prove something to my emotionally distant parents I'd have to achieve success on a level that would require me to abandon myself completely. And I did. I succeeded for a time, but in the end burnt out to the point my soul doesn't even want to be in my body anymore.

Focus on yourself, if you can't answer the question "Who am I?" and you still have the energy and means to explore that question then please do. Forget about "What I should do to be successful like XYZ?". When you know who you are and find your interests and passion the rest will follow. And even if it's not commercial success then I guarantee you won't feel like you wasted your life.

• Hugs
Reactions: ecmnesia