• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
Hey everyone. First post :hug: I've read the rules and I don't think I'm violating any here but I apologize if I'm wording my questions in a way that goes against them. Just wanted to share my experience procuring gas and ask a few questions about equipment. Nothing at the extreme end of the spectrum happened but I just wanted to document it step by step for others who share similar fears of the unknown. If you want to skip to my hardware questions I'll split the post up.

I couldn't find much information about how the interaction would go online (as I hadn't found this forum yet) so I wanted to share what happened when I went in hopes it might help someone else. I have extreme anxiety issues and, it was mortifying to me thinking about trying to go walk into intimidating places in the industrial park and get parts when I have no experience with hardware components or stores like these. It's quite stressful for me just to run out to get routine things from the grocery store. I'm sure there are others here living in the shadow of GAD like me so I hope this finds someone and can be of some use to someone someday.

I did a few hours of research trying to come up with a story that sounded plausible. I was initially going to try to get pure helium as it seemed like it was still available at places and I planned to go in saying it was for a small welding project. You save 50-100 USD on the regulator so I figured I'd start there. Online I read that people have used He for seam welding so if the clerk wanted to know more, I was going to say I was helping my father (may his soul rest in peace) with a couple of smaller projects. If they wanted more granular detail, I was to say we were doing some bodywork around seams on an older car and that I wasn't that knowledgable but more of an assistant to him. I'm a very honest person so I was also very anxious about being forced to lie.

I'm sure people who are knowledgable about this subject are cringing right now but as someone who has never touched any of this, it was the best I could come up with. I wasn't sure what sizes they would have, if I could just bring something up to the counter to pay at a store like this, if I would be able to just carry it out to my car myself, etc. It's probably best if I keep the businesses unnamed but they were two of the largest national brands so you've probably come across the names if you're looking into it.

The first place I went to was a very small building that didn't appear to have any identifiable storefront but the pictures on google showed there was a showroom. There was only parking in the rear so I walked upfront, and there was a sign that said to go in through the back. There was just an open garage door along with another small door leading into the same garage and there was a guy unloading stuff from his car so I asked if that was where I went in. I was feeling quite uncomfortable about just waltzing in because it didn't look like a place I was supposed to be in and, in my head, they're gonna yell "what are you doing back here?!" The guy said I could and told me to walk through the hallway. There was a sales agent waiting at the counter who I told I said I was looking for pure helium. He seemed to give me a strange look and said they only had "balloon helium" and that it was "dirty." Not being familiar around the terms, i didn't know precisely what that means (is "dirty" .1% other gas? 10%? 50?) He brought me over to some cylinders along the garage wall and let me look at them but told me it wouldn't say the mixture on the tank. I'm not gambling with this obviously so I said I was only looking for a pure concentration and I think he was getting suspicious. He said you can only get 99.99% concentrations from labs now and that it's really hard to acquire (I wish I found someone saying this online beforehand), then asked again what I was using for. I told him the story I prepared and that I was just helping out my father which he seemed to accept. I thanked him and went back to my car. I started freaking out quite a bit because I immediately saw visions of me not being able to pull this off, having wasted all my money thus far, making a fool out of myself, being doomed to another half-century of great suffering and self-loathing; all that. I didn't think I could try again right away so I went home to decompress and figure out where I was going to go the next day.

I decided not to keep trying for helium, and reread the Final Exit book I purchased where it said nitrogen was also an alternative. I repeated the steps of researching online to come up with something in the ballpark of credible but I was struggling to find any application a random citizen might have other than welding. It seemed like most uses are industrial food processing. I found a few sites that generally said "nitrogen can be used itself for niche welding applications" but I was having trouble finding much information deeper than that other than information on mixtures of it. I figured I would just go with the above story: "I'm assisting and picking up so my dad could keep working on projects" and he gave me money to get it for him.

The next place was much more consumer-friendly with a big display area like a normal store right upfront. I went early so I had to wait for someone to poke their head out of the back. I wasn't really performing as well as the other place because of how nervous I was after having no luck and being more desperate so I was stammering and tripping over myself a bit (having my mask make my face overheat and sweat did not help to soothe my anxiety). I told this sales agent I was looking for pure nitrogen and wanting to buy a tank, again for welding, and he asked if I knew what size I wanted. He said he could show me if I didn't know so he took me under some yellow tape around to the side of the building where there was a corral with some cylinders. I went with the 20cf one and he said he'd have to go price check it. He grabbed it and walked me back, confirmed to me that I would be the owner of it, not renting it, all responsibility would lie with me, and so on. He just left the tank by the door outside and I hesitated a bit in confusion at which point he said to just leave it (f me, I hate being awkward so much). He went to the computer and started asking me about my story again, at which point I told him I wasn't really very knowledgeable and I was just asked to pick it up. He stared at me for a few seconds and said "this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone using nitrogen for welding..." so I just kind of shot him a "don't shoot the messenger" look and shrugged (as my internal panic meter was going mental). He said it'd be about $100 for the steel and $20 for the gas. He had me sign an invoice receipt and told me to just grab the tank outside so I thanked him and went back home more relieved than I can possibly convey here.

It was a bit more stressful and anxiety-inducing than I was hoping (I didn't even mention how physically ill it was making me feel) but in the end, I managed to secure a tank without anything traumatic happening like, I don't know, having the cops called on me? As I said, I just hope my account is able to assuage someone else's fears so they have an idea of what they might be able to expect.

----------------

As for the questions I want some help with, I've skimmed through every page of this thread a few times but I still just wanted to get a little more clarification. I got myself turkey bags, some vinyl tubing (10', inner diameter of 3/8" and outer diameter of 1/2" like the other book I purchased suggested), and a 20cf tank of nitrogen with a CGA580 inlet. I just need a regulator/flowmeter and I'm good to go. I was looking at the Max Dog kit but that takes six weeks to ship which I do not have. I have maybe a two-to-three-week window at best before I'll be found. I'm planning to get something with fast shipping off amazon and do it as close to the deadline as I can so that the decay will be minimally disturbing for those two people to find (also, I'm unsure if I need to put any protective material or towels under/behind me for the post-mortem decay and the muscles down there loosening). I saw the harbor freight CO2/Argon flow gauge regulator earlier in the thread which doesn't have a hose barb fitting. I do not see any relevant size or fitting listings in the specs on their website, so I'm not sure how to go about getting a hose barb and what type for the size of tubing I already got according to my book.

My other question is that the aforementioned book says to tuck the turkey bag around a headband for the neck, but I saw that someone said not to do that in this thread. I don't know how to sew or do a hem or anything like that so I would like some more input on how that is supposed to be done.

To all the people on the board working to help those like me who are really struggling and having a hard time finding the right information on their own, thank you so much. It's a better thing you're all doing than you probably know. It's hard to imagine living as a person who needs to exit before these books were written and there were online anonymous boards. It seems like all other methods would be unimaginably painful or just slightly less horrific than living out the rest of a miserable life. Real-life can be far worse than any horror movie so to anyone helping alleviate suffering of that magnitude in the world, you're a saint. Also, love all of you strangers out there who are struggling and feeling alone too. Hang in there. :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzhe and bmh_11
endergames

endergames

Aug 6, 2020
Hey everyone. First post :hug: I've read the rules and I don't think I'm violating any here but I apologize if I'm wording my questions in a way that goes against them. Just wanted to share my experience procuring gas and ask a few questions about equipment. Nothing at the extreme end of the spectrum happened but I just wanted to document it step by step for others who share similar fears of the unknown. If you want to skip to my hardware questions I'll split the post up.

I couldn't find much information about how the interaction would go online (as I hadn't found this forum yet) so I wanted to share what happened when I went in hopes it might help someone else. I have extreme anxiety issues and, it was mortifying to me thinking about trying to go walk into intimidating places in the industrial park and get parts when I have no experience with hardware components or stores like these. It's quite stressful for me just to run out to get routine things from the grocery store. I'm sure there are others here living in the shadow of GAD like me so I hope this finds someone and can be of some use to someone someday.

I did a few hours of research trying to come up with a story that sounded plausible. I was initially going to try to get pure helium as it seemed like it was still available at places and I planned to go in saying it was for a small welding project. You save 50-100 USD on the regulator so I figured I'd start there. Online I read that people have used He for seam welding so if the clerk wanted to know more, I was going to say I was helping my father (may his soul rest in peace) with a couple of smaller projects. If they wanted more granular detail, I was to say we were doing some bodywork around seams on an older car and that I wasn't that knowledgable but more of an assistant to him. I'm a very honest person so I was also very anxious about being forced to lie.

I'm sure people who are knowledgable about this subject are cringing right now but as someone who has never touched any of this, it was the best I could come up with. I wasn't sure what sizes they would have, if I could just bring something up to the counter to pay at a store like this, if I would be able to just carry it out to my car myself, etc. It's probably best if I keep the businesses unnamed but they were two of the largest national brands so you've probably come across the names if you're looking into it.

The first place I went to was a very small building that didn't appear to have any identifiable storefront but the pictures on google showed there was a showroom. There was only parking in the rear so I walked upfront, and there was a sign that said to go in through the back. There was just an open garage door along with another small door leading into the same garage and there was a guy unloading stuff from his car so I asked if that was where I went in. I was feeling quite uncomfortable about just waltzing in because it didn't look like a place I was supposed to be in and, in my head, they're gonna yell "what are you doing back here?!" The guy said I could and told me to walk through the hallway. There was a sales agent waiting at the counter who I told I said I was looking for pure helium. He seemed to give me a strange look and said they only had "balloon helium" and that it was "dirty." Not being familiar around the terms, i didn't know precisely what that means (is "dirty" .1% other gas? 10%? 50?) He brought me over to some cylinders along the garage wall and let me look at them but told me it wouldn't say the mixture on the tank. I'm not gambling with this obviously so I said I was only looking for a pure concentration and I think he was getting suspicious. He said you can only get 99.99% concentrations from labs now and that it's really hard to acquire (I wish I found someone saying this online beforehand), then asked again what I was using for. I told him the story I prepared and that I was just helping out my father which he seemed to accept. I thanked him and went back to my car. I started freaking out quite a bit because I immediately saw visions of me not being able to pull this off, having wasted all my money thus far, making a fool out of myself, being doomed to another half-century of great suffering and self-loathing; all that. I didn't think I could try again right away so I went home to decompress and figure out where I was going to go the next day.

I decided not to keep trying for helium, and reread the Final Exit book I purchased where it said nitrogen was also an alternative. I repeated the steps of researching online to come up with something in the ballpark of credible but I was struggling to find any application a random citizen might have other than welding. It seemed like most uses are industrial food processing. I found a few sites that generally said "nitrogen can be used itself for niche welding applications" but I was having trouble finding much information deeper than that other than information on mixtures of it. I figured I would just go with the above story: "I'm assisting and picking up so my dad could keep working on projects" and he gave me money to get it for him.

The next place was much more consumer-friendly with a big display area like a normal store right upfront. I went early so I had to wait for someone to poke their head out of the back. I wasn't really performing as well as the other place because of how nervous I was after having no luck and being more desperate so I was stammering and tripping over myself a bit (having my mask make my face overheat and sweat did not help to soothe my anxiety). I told this sales agent I was looking for pure nitrogen and wanting to buy a tank, again for welding, and he asked if I knew what size I wanted. He said he could show me if I didn't know so he took me under some yellow tape around to the side of the building where there was a corral with some cylinders. I went with the 20cf one and he said he'd have to go price check it. He grabbed it and walked me back, confirmed to me that I would be the owner of it, not renting it, all responsibility would lie with me, and so on. He just left the tank by the door outside and I hesitated a bit in confusion at which point he said to just leave it (f me, I hate being awkward so much). He went to the computer and started asking me about my story again, at which point I told him I wasn't really very knowledgeable and I was just asked to pick it up. He stared at me for a few seconds and said "this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone using nitrogen for welding..." so I just kind of shot him a "don't shoot the messenger" look and shrugged (as my internal panic meter was going mental). He said it'd be about $100 for the steel and $20 for the gas. He had me sign an invoice receipt and told me to just grab the tank outside so I thanked him and went back home more relieved than I can possibly convey here.

It was a bit more stressful and anxiety-inducing than I was hoping (I didn't even mention how physically ill it was making me feel) but in the end, I managed to secure a tank without anything traumatic happening like, I don't know, having the cops called on me? As I said, I just hope my account is able to assuage someone else's fears so they have an idea of what they might be able to expect.

----------------

As for the questions I want some help with, I've skimmed through every page of this thread a few times but I still just wanted to get a little more clarification. I got myself turkey bags, some vinyl tubing (10', inner diameter of 3/8" and outer diameter of 1/2" like the other book I purchased suggested), and a 20cf tank of nitrogen with a CGA580 inlet. I just need a regulator/flowmeter and I'm good to go. I was looking at the Max Dog kit but that takes six weeks to ship which I do not have. I have maybe a two-to-three-week window at best before I'll be found. I'm planning to get something with fast shipping off amazon and do it as close to the deadline as I can so that the decay will be minimally disturbing for those two people to find (also, I'm unsure if I need to put any protective material or towels under/behind me for the post-mortem decay and the muscles down there loosening). I saw the harbor freight CO2/Argon flow gauge regulator earlier in the thread which doesn't have a hose barb fitting. I do not see any relevant size or fitting listings in the specs on their website, so I'm not sure how to go about getting a hose barb and what type for the size of tubing I already got according to my book.

My other question is that the aforementioned book says to tuck the turkey bag around a headband for the neck, but I saw that someone said not to do that in this thread. I don't know how to sew or do a hem or anything like that so I would like some more input on how that is supposed to be done.

To all the people on the board working to help those like me who are really struggling and having a hard time finding the right information on their own, thank you so much. It's a better thing you're all doing than you probably know. It's hard to imagine living as a person who needs to exit before these books were written and there were online anonymous boards. It seems like all other methods would be unimaginably painful or just slightly less horrific than living out the rest of a miserable life. Real-life can be far worse than any horror movie so to anyone helping alleviate suffering of that magnitude in the world, you're a saint. Also, love all of you strangers out there who are struggling and feeling alone too. Hang in there. :heart:
If you've decided on a medical regulator, you may wish to consider Max Dog's main competitor escmode (dot) com. They can probably do better on delivery terms.

Also, check out @Greenberg 's blog at nitrogen exit (dot) blogspot (dot) com.

• Hugs
Reactions: Greenberg and ophiastri
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
If you've decided on a medical regulator, you may wish to consider Max Dog's main competitor escmode (dot) com. They can probably do better on delivery terms.

Also, check out @Greenberg 's blog at nitrogen exit (dot) blogspot (dot) com.

Thank you so much. I didn't know medical regulators were the same type as the Max Dog regulator. That helps. I'd feel a lot more secure and confident about my success getting something heavy-duty and more user-friendly with a click setting like that.

That's within my budget but is it worth the hefty price difference over the other types like the harbor freight regulator? I also read reviews for various products where people were having issues with fittings but those were not medical-grade regulators. I just want to know for planning if this is something I may have to spend days messing with as I don't know how precise the fit is with these things or how compatible that hose barb would be with different types and sizes of tubing.

W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020

----------------

I'm sorry you had such a nerve wracking experience purchasing inert gas. I think it is odd that the sales clerk asked so many questions. For anyone reading this thread for suggestions on how to avoid the experience you had, I would recommend in the US purchasing the gas online. The welding supplier abbreviated WS sells filled cylinders of helium, argon, and nitrogen shipped directly to one's home with no questions asked. They also sell flowmeter regulators for all those gases.

Here is a hose barb adapter kit with nipple, nut, and hose clamp that can be purchased online from Airgas that fits 1/4" ID (inside diameter) tubing and I believe the flowmeter regulators WS sells. WS also sells many hose barb nipples and nuts also, and they can assist with choosing the correct items to fit one's needs if you wanted to use the 3/8" ID tubing you have. If you have trouble finding the items on their website, you may private message me.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Anzhe, Greenberg and ophiastri
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
I'm sorry you had such a nerve wracking experience purchasing inert gas. I think it is odd that the sales clerk asked so many questions. For anyone reading this thread for suggestions on how to avoid the experience you had, I would recommend in the US purchasing the gas online. The welding supplier abbreviated WS sells filled cylinders of helium, argon, and nitrogen shipped directly to one's home with no questions asked. They also sell flowmeter regulators for all those gases.

Here is a hose barb adapter kit with nipple, nut, and hose clamp that can be purchased online from Airgas that fits 1/4" ID (inside diameter) tubing and I believe the flowmeter regulators WS sells. WS also sells many hose barb nipples and nuts also, and they can assist with choosing the correct items to fit one's needs if you wanted to use the 3/8" ID tubing you have. If you have trouble finding the items on their website, you may private message me.

Thank you for your kind words.

I searched for ways to acquire it online but the ones I found willing to ship required company information and credentials. From my research, it sounded like laws in the US restricted companies from being able to ship gases to random individuals. Either way, I figured it would just be faster to go in person. Hopefully, for people who read this later, they can find better options.

I'll keep that product in mind, thank you.

Reactions: WearyOfStruggling
color_me_gone

color_me_gone

Sun is rising
Dec 27, 2018
it sounded like laws in the US restricted companies from being able to ship gases to random individuals
no, anyone can buy inert gas, there is no restrictions in the USA.
Some dealers only sell to businesses, because they sell only at wholesale prices.

I am surprised the guy said he never heard of using nitrogen for welding, because that is one of its main uses.
Other uses are for brewing.
Nobody could call the cops on you, because buying inert gas is not illegal.
Even suicide itself is not illegal, as long as you are alone.
The worst anybody could do is just not sell it to you, if they thought you were going to off yourself.

Good luck to you, ophiastri, hope everything goes as to your plan.

Reactions: ophiastri
W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
Thank you for your kind words.

I searched for ways to acquire it online but the ones I found willing to ship required company information and credentials. From my research, it sounded like laws in the US restricted companies from being able to ship gases to random individuals. Either way, I figured it would just be faster to go in person. Hopefully, for people who read this later, they can find better options.

I'll keep that product in mind, thank you.
I am not aware of a requirement that gas and other welding supplies be sold or shipped only to companies rather than individuals, and I know it isn't the case with WS, and I don't think the US company mentioned in the PPeH abbreviated CW has any restriction on shipping to individuals, either. Many people do inert gas welding at home as a hobby for car restoration, metal sculpture, etc. Just because there is an option to provide company information when setting up an online order doesn't always mean that the information is required.

For adding elastic to a turkey bag, I recommend following the method in the "Doing it with Chi/Betty" videos found in the Resource Compilation thread. That will allow the tension to be adjusted, unlike a sweat band.

Here are the items I used. The elastic was wider than I was looking for, but that is all that was available at Joann's sewing store in my area. It was a little hard to thread it into the cord lock, but otherwise it worked well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lastsauce, Bauhaus, Greenberg and 2 others
Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
Thank you so much. I didn't know medical regulators were the same type as the Max Dog regulator. That helps. I'd feel a lot more secure and confident about my success getting something heavy-duty and more user-friendly with a click setting like that.

That's within my budget but is it worth the hefty price difference over the other types like the harbor freight regulator? I also read reviews for various products where people were having issues with fittings but those were not medical-grade regulators. I just want to know for planning if this is something I may have to spend days messing with as I don't know how precise the fit is with these things or how compatible that hose barb would be with different types and sizes of tubing.
Hi @ophiastri, are you going to make your own bag or purchase a mask?

nitroautnz

nitroautnz

Specialist
Sep 11, 2020

----------------

Thanks for you story! Glad you ended beeing able to buy the gas:hug:
I'm currently waiting that maxdog brewery ship my flowmeter because escmode dont have the model for NZ and I cant wait month that they start to sell some ... :(

O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
Hi @ophiastri, are you going to make your own bag or purchase a mask?

I'm going with the bag. I already got most of the materials I need besides the elastic and cord lock that @WearyOfStruggling helped to illustrate.

I went ahead and decided to go with the Americana N2 Regulator from escMode linked earlier so the above two things are all that's left besides waiting for the latter to arrive (and hoping everything fits and there are no leaks).

• Hugs
Reactions: Onthe29th and WearyOfStruggling
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Wonderful, it looks like you will be up and running soon! Cheers.

• Wow
Reactions: WearyOfStruggling and ophiastri
nitroautnz

nitroautnz

Specialist
Sep 11, 2020
I'm going with the bag. I already got most of the materials I need besides the elastic and cord lock that @WearyOfStruggling helped to illustrate.

I went ahead and decided to go with the Americana N2 Regulator from escMode linked earlier so the above two things are all that's left besides waiting for the latter to arrive (and hoping everything fits and there are no leaks).
let us know when you receive the flowmeter from escmode !im curious to know the quality and whatnot since its a recent company.

Bauhaus

Bauhaus

Specialist
Jan 18, 2020
Something I wonder about, are there regulations when you import from another country ?
I mean, are gas canisters considered dangerous ?
I can buy it on ebay from Poland, so it's in the EU and shouldn't be a problem with customs ?

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
I believe empty canisters are okay, but filled canisters are not and would require special permissions.

Reactions: Bauhaus
Bauhaus

Bauhaus

Specialist
Jan 18, 2020
Damn, then I'm screwed :(
So when the package arrives at custom they will open it ?
I don't know how/where to obtain a filled canister where I live :((

Last edited:
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
May I ask which country you reside?

A

AdiosAmigos

Jan 12, 2020
Hello, I had the same experience as Ophiastri. I can't believe how similar it sounded haha. Anyhow, I failed the night night method and eventually got found out. I've switched gears to the inert gas method. Now I found a local praxair and managed to get a 55 cf tank of Nitrogen. I also built my exit bag. The hard part for me now is the flowmeter/regulator along with hose barbs and tubing. These are all brand new terms to me and I'm awfully confused on what I'm looking for or how to assemble the necessary tools. I went to harbor freight and stared at the CO2/AR flow meter/regulator but wasn't sure if it was right. Would this work for this method?
And if I were to get this I assume I would have to find a hose barb and tubing as well?
I would like to get it all this week sometime so I can finally leave and not be in pain anymore so I'm trying not to order online.

O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
Hello, I had the same experience as Ophiastri. I can't believe how similar it sounded haha. Anyhow, I failed the night night method and eventually got found out. I've switched gears to the inert gas method. Now I found a local praxair and managed to get a 55 cf tank of Nitrogen. I also built my exit bag. The hard part for me now is the flowmeter/regulator along with hose barbs and tubing. These are all brand new terms to me and I'm awfully confused on what I'm looking for or how to assemble the necessary tools. I went to harbor freight and stared at the CO2/AR flow meter/regulator but wasn't sure if it was right. Would this work for this method?
And if I were to get this I assume I would have to find a hose barb and tubing as well?
I would like to get it all this week sometime so I can finally leave and not be in pain anymore so I'm trying not to order online.

I was feeling lost like you too. I'm still just bumbling through it myself along with you but I can share what my experience has been so far and compile everything relevant I've read into one place. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything and take this with a grain of salt just in case. I am likely treading over some of what you know already but it might help you.

In case you didn't read all the recent posts what seems to be another very good option, which I'm choosing, is a "medical regulator" (if you can handle the price tag; they seem to range from about $150 to $400 USD) with a click setting that makes it easy to set the flow rate. It looks like they show the flow rate on a dial in a tiny window at the end of the device without having a lot of confusing ports/valves/handles/holes/threads/other gauges. They can have hose barbs built-in and you would also want to make sure there's a "CGA-580" inlet plug that will fit most/all inert gas tanks. I've seen hose fittings that looked different from each other (some with multiple ridges, just one or fittings that were short and fat, or long and skinny) but I haven't been able to understand what the different types are and I don't see anywhere in the product specifications where it says that on any regulator. I don't know how you know if your chosen hose will fit the hose barb but I'm praying my setup will work. I'm not sure where you would go to buy one of these medical regulators in person but I ordered mine online.

When I was only going off my copy of Final Exit before I found this forum, it was very vague about the regulator needed for the nitrogen method. It just says to look at the Max Dog multi-regional kit and "search for similar alternatives on Amazon" which meant nothing to me since I knew f-all about them.

The steps for the nitrogen method in that book indicate that you need to set the flow rate to 15 liters/min but said nothing explicitly about what the device needs. I wasn't sure if they all had flow somewhere and I was too dumb to find it, if you needed the regulator in addition to a separate flow gauge linked up in sequence, or what. The regulators I saw mostly had PSI on both gauges which you cannot convert to L/min. For posterity and anyone reading later, you want to make sure you are searching for one with a "flow gauge" or "flow meter." Yours has this, so you should be good in that department.

In my understanding, the inert gas regulators work the same way (so are cross-compatible) but are calibrated a little differently. People were saying if you are using nitrogen with a gauge labeled argon, you might want to set the flow rate to 19 l/min to compensate. I don't really know much more about it. If I had argon and it was a regulator for helium or something I'm not sure what you'd do then.

Some pages for regulators of the same style as the harbor freight one had reviews where people said they needed "different fittings" or that "the threads didn't fit." Your guess as to what that means is as good as mine but beware of that. I was also seeing a lot of talk of needing to tighten everything with wrenches because the gas can leak very easily. If there's any leak though you'll probably fail because it won't be able to carry away your exhaled carbon dioxide through the neck of the bag fast enough to avoid setting off your body's suffocation panic alarm. For the harbor freight one, it looks to be missing a hose barb so you might need a kit like the one @WearyOfStruggling showed earlier for a 1/4" inner diameter tube. As I said I'm still a bit confused on this myself. My book said to get 6' of 3/8" inner and 1/2" outer vinyl tubing so that's what I got for myself at my local H.D. (they only had coils that came in 10' though).

I hope this will give you a little bit more confidence and understanding. Sorry that you're in pain too, friend. Best wishes. :heart:

Last edited:
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
I have a whole blog dedicated to the exit bag method. In it, there are descriptions, explanations, and comparisons of regulators. My blog can be found at nitrogenexit.blogspot.com. Hope it helps.

• Love
Reactions: Lastsauce and ophiastri
A

AdiosAmigos

Jan 12, 2020
I was feeling lost like you too. I'm still just bumbling through it myself along with you but I can share what my experience has been so far and compile everything relevant I've read into one place. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything and take this with a grain of salt just in case. I am likely treading over some of what you know already but it might help you.

In case you didn't read all the recent posts what seems to be another very good option, which I'm choosing, is a "medical regulator" (if you can handle the price tag; they seem to range from about $150 to $400 USD) with a click setting that makes it easy to set the flow rate. It looks like they show the flow rate on a dial in a tiny window at the end of the device without having a lot of confusing ports/valves/handles/holes/threads/other gauges. They can have hose barbs built-in and you would also want to make sure there's a "CGA-580" inlet plug that will fit most/all inert gas tanks. I've seen hose fittings that looked different from each other (some with multiple ridges, just one or fittings that were short and fat, or long and skinny) but I haven't been able to understand what the different types are and I don't see anywhere in the product specifications where it says that on any regulator. I don't know how you know if your chosen hose will fit the hose barb but I'm praying my setup will work. I'm not sure where you would go to buy one of these medical regulators in person but I ordered mine online.

When I was only going off my copy of Final Exit before I found this forum, it was very vague about the regulator needed for the nitrogen method. It just says to look at the Max Dog multi-regional kit and "search for similar alternatives on Amazon" which meant nothing to me since I knew f-all about them.

The steps for the nitrogen method in that book indicate that you need to set the flow rate to 15 liters/min but said nothing explicitly about what the device needs. I wasn't sure if they all had flow somewhere and I was too dumb to find it, if you needed the regulator in addition to a separate flow gauge linked up in sequence, or what. The regulators I saw mostly had PSI on both gauges which you cannot convert to L/min. For posterity and anyone reading later, you want to make sure you are searching for one with a "flow gauge" or "flow meter." Yours has this, so you should be good in that department.

In my understanding, the inert gas regulators work the same way (so are cross-compatible) but are calibrated a little differently. People were saying if you are using nitrogen with a gauge labeled argon, you might want to set the flow rate to 19 l/min to compensate. I don't really know much more about it. If I had argon and it was a regulator for helium or something I'm not sure what you'd do then.

Some pages for regulators of the same style as the harbor freight one had reviews where people said they needed "different fittings" or that "the threads didn't fit." Your guess as to what that means is as good as mine but beware of that. I was also seeing a lot of talk of needing to tighten everything with wrenches because the gas can leak very easily. If there's any leak though you'll probably fail because it won't be able to carry away your exhaled carbon dioxide through the neck of the bag fast enough to avoid setting off your body's suffocation panic alarm. For the harbor freight one, it looks to be missing a hose barb so you might need a kit like the one @WearyOfStruggling showed earlier for a 1/4" inner diameter tube. As I said I'm still a bit confused on this myself. My book said to get 6' of 3/8" inner and 1/2" outer vinyl tubing so that's what I got for myself at my local H.D. (they only had coils that came in 10' though).

I hope this will give you a little bit more confidence and understanding. Sorry that you're in pain too, friend. Best wishes. :heart:

thank you so much for all this! I really appreciate it. It's nice to know others have had the same difficulty so we can overcome it. I just graduated college and my work start date is a bit delayed so money is rather tight right now so I went ahead and bought a cheaper but similar regulator + flow meter with a hose barb apparently so now it's onto research for the tubing! I really want this to work, I can't do this anymore and not for much longer.
I have a whole blog dedicated to the exit bag method. In it, there are descriptions, explanations, and comparisons of regulators. My blog can be found at nitrogenexit.blogspot.com. Hope it helps.

god bless you good sir.I will be diving in depth into this for the next few days. This is a lot to take in, thank you for all this. It is greatly appreciated

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Greenberg and ophiastri
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
I finally have my bag made and I practiced a bit, without the gas, in the tub where I plan to do it; sitting upright with my head away from the wall and the curtain across, with the note outside so that no one needs to see. I might get an odor gel thing to put in there too. I'm going to try to do it reasonably close to my deadline so that I'm not disgusting or a biohazard, but also I'm going to allow some time to hide everything if it fails at the last minute and I wake up. I messed up with my first two bags that I tried to layer, so I had to go get a new box of them tonight. I didn't pull it hard enough apart when I tried to find an opening, out of fear of ripping/puncturing it so I cut them (at the wrong end) and just ended up with two tunnels of plastic taped together...

This is what I have right now. Don't mind the random tape that got stuck trying to put the tube in

Unnamed

I'm starting to have really bad anxiety and concerns about this again. The bag is a very awkward shape on my head because of the tube being high up and it's really difficult to feel if I'm able to get everything out. I was thinking to put it 3/4 up so it would fill the bag from the top down and push the CO2 out easier. I'm a bit scared that there's still going to be some air left. When I push down on everything it just puffs back out so it's hard to tell how much air I'm getting out. I still have another bag. Should I redo everything again with the tube just a couple of inches past the neck? I also got a thicker band that was more akin to what's in underwear in case the thinner elastic string was insufficient

I'm also a bit worried about the seal when pulling it down the face and tight around the neck. It felt like it was not evenly tight all the way around when I pull the elastic tight and I could feel some open loops with my hand. I know it can't be airtight, but also not sure how loose it should be. I don't know if small gaps are fine, or if it needs to be on the skin at every point.

There has to be 100% certainty that this is going to work. There are so different things coming to a head and converging in my life for me. Too much at stake for there to be any risk of failing. I am extra anxious and stressed about everything because while shopping for more bags earlier, I ran into someone I haven't seen in a long time at the store today and she said "maybe I'll see you around soon" :mmm: Getting the toggle and elastic the other day was a nightmare too; they interrogated me at every store when I asked and didn't understand what I was looking for (as if I even knew).

Another concern of mine is I spend most of my life on the internet and I am very worried about nosy family. I am considering formatting my phone and pc after I send goodbye messages as the final thing I do. I'm not sure if I need to be thinking about the police getting information from my ISP and tracking everything that I've googled and researched for this to find someone liable. If it fails, I've also basically erased everything I have, so... I'm torn about irreversibly deleting everything

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzhe
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
let us know when you receive the flowmeter from escmode !im curious to know the quality and whatnot since its a recent company.

Mine just came in today. I have not been able to test it yet, but it seems very sturdy and made with care. Much like i feared, the tapered hose barb outlet on the product is too small for the 3/8" In ID tube that I had originally gotten. I tried buying a hose barb adapter from the local hardware store but it doesn't fit. The regulator product page does not list the size so I am completely in the dark.

I don't know what size I'm dealing with but it seems to me like my best bet is to bring the fitting to the store tomorrow and try to visually match the size with tubing or ask an associate as a last resort.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitroautnz
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
The standard oxygen tubing has an internal diameter of around 5mm. How did you end up with a 3/8" tubing?

Bauhaus

Bauhaus

Specialist
Jan 18, 2020
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what kind of tape do you use to attach the hose inside the bag ?
I read that Gorilla Tape is good for plastic, can I use that ?
And what size of wrench do you need to tighten the regulator like this one ?

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what kind of tape do you use to attach the hose inside the bag ?
I read that Gorilla Tape is good for plastic, can I use that ?
And what size of wrench do you need to tighten the regulator like this one ?
In respect to the the nut, I cannot tell what size wrench you would require. May I suggest that you find an adjustable (monkey) wrench? You may also wish to check that the regulator comes with a flow meter so that you would be able to precisely adjust the flow at 15LPM. Best!!

Reactions: Bauhaus
Bauhaus

Bauhaus

Specialist
Jan 18, 2020
Thank you, I'll look for an adjustable wrench. The flow meter has markings for l/min, so that should be ok.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Wonderful! Then you are all set when you make the purchase! Congrats.

O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
The standard oxygen tubing has an internal diameter of around 5mm. How did you end up with a 3/8" tubing?

Final Exit said to get that size. I didn't know there was a standard size for oxygen and I didn't see any information in the thread about what hose I would need. I suppose oxygen tubing is what I'll have to rush order then