H

Hookah-smoking-cat

Apr 24, 2022
Probably most people suicidal people kill themselves they don't talk about it.

castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
I would think this would have been a given due to nature of this sites existence and the anti suicide movement outside of assisted suicide. Of course there are new enrollees that will post stupidity (me included) just to get that internet fame.

Reactions: rationaltake
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Probably most people suicidal people kill themselves they don't talk about it.
Sorry this is quite an ignorant statement and it is provable wrong. It is a stupid and false myth people who talk about suicide would not do it. It is rather the opposite. Many people who have a plan to kill themselves tell this to someone. But obviously not to everyone.

Reactions: katagiri83 and rationaltake
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Sorry this is quite an ignorant statement and it is provable wrong. It is a stupid and false myth people who talk about suicide would not do it. It is rather the opposite. Many people who have a plan to kill themselves tell this to someone. But obviously not to everyone.
You hear about both cases a lot- the ones that no one suspected and the ones that some people knew were at risk. According to the website livescience.com between 50% and 75% of people who attempt ctb talk about it beforehand, but it would seem to be very difficult to get reliable statistics on this, so who knows what the percent really is. Cultural factors may play a role- where it is more taboo people would obviously be less likely to talk about it first.

Reactions: rationaltake
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
You hear about both cases a lot- the ones that no one suspected and the ones that some people knew were at risk. According to the website livescience.com between 50% and 75% of people who attempt ctb talk about it beforehand, but it would seem to be very difficult to get reliable statistics on this, so who knows what the percent really is. Cultural factors may play a role- where it is more taboo people would obviously be less likely to talk about it first.
sadly you also have to question the honesty of those left behind. the ones that cried for help but they say they didnt know trying to cover their tracks/play the victim (like im sure my mother probably would)

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
sadly you also have to question the honesty of those left behind. the ones that cried for help but they say they didnt know trying to cover their tracks/play the victim (like im sure my mother probably would)
Another factor making the % difficlt to get to accurately, but I have heard pretty many times of it taking people by surprise, so it seems like these cases do happen.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Another factor making the % difficlt to get to accurately, but I have heard pretty many times of it taking people by surprise, so it seems like these cases do happen.
I think there might be a mistake in this logic. When someone surprisingly commits suicide maybe the people close to him or her just did not know it. But maybe they had a breakdown at college or elsewhere. And they were too ashamed to tell it to anyone else. Or maybe they have made some bad experiences in the past and are now not ready to speak to more people.
I am pretty sure my parents were surprised to a certain degree if I killed myself. Despite the fact I have told them a lot about my plans etc. But often they don't take it seriously or especially my dad forgets everything after a short time.

Last edited:
Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022
I don't think it matters. If the attention they get here helps them, the good.
The only time I think there's a problem with fakers are when they are LE and forced lifers.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I think there might be a mistake in this logic. When someone surprisingly commits suicide maybe the people close to him or her just did not know it. But maybe they had a breakdown at college or elsewhere. And they were too ashamed to tell it to anyone else. Or maybe they have made some bad experiences in the past and are now not ready to speak to more people.
I am pretty sure my parents were surprised to a certain degree if I killed myself. Despite the fact I have told them a lot about my plans etc. But often they don't take it seriously or especially my dad forgets everything after a short time.
Especially among college age people who are having their first bout with depression often everyone seems completely surprised- this first time of being really overwhelmed can make a person feel so alone tha they feel like they have no one to turn to- the cases where someone is told seem more common though.