• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Do you think it's a good idea to unburden your woes in front of your friends ?

• Yes 👍

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No 👎

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Unsure 🤔

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
Unburdening in front of a friend/s can be a big relief psychologically . You can stop pretending everything is OK and you may get emotional and/or monetary support . On the flip side , friends may also abandon you like a sick foal is abandoned by it's peers in the wild . Even if they don't abandon , it may change your dynamic with them as you may not be seen as an equal going forward. You also may be the talk of the town if you tell a lot of friends .
Personally, I am caught in 2 minds , both sound appealing but I would rather err on the side of caution and not tell. What about you and why did you make the choice you did ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find previous polls here: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/meltingbrain-all-polls.123887/
Part of : https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...st-at-least-1-poll-daily.123125/#post-2051973
DailyPoll
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
no/unsure because based on my experiences and things I've observed people will pity you and assume you are seeking attention or sympathy and will also probably view you as a basket case

also no/unsure because depending on how frequent that happens the person on the receiving end will also probably will feel more like a therapist than a friend or they drift away because they may think or notice that you are only keeping them around to have someone to vent to or a therapist

I have been on the receiving end of that before because I didn't want to be seen as a bad acquaintance
but it didn't end well and I learned that in those situations depending on who you are conversing with and the severity of their mental illness or circumstances
being aware of/noticing/keeping note of patterns and boundaries are very important and listening very carefully

Reactions: MeltingBrain
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
no/unsure because based on my experiences and things I've observed people will pity you and assume you are seeking attention or sympathy and will also probably view you as a basket case

also no/unsure because depending on how frequent that happens the person on the receiving end will also probably will feel more like a therapist than a friend or they drift away because they may think or notice that you are only keeping them around to have someone to vent to or a therapist

I have been on the receiving end of that before because I didn't want to be seen as a bad acquaintance
but it didn't end well and I learned that in those situations depending on who you are conversing with and the severity of their mental illness or circumstances
being aware of/noticing/keeping note of patterns and boundaries are very important and listening very carefully
I have good company as such. Nobody will view me as a basket case but the pity thing could be right . I am sorry , you were in the recieving end of what ?
If you do, you won't have any friends left.
Yeah that's the fear

Reactions: psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I am sorry , you were in the recieving end of what ?
the "therapist friend"

I was around 16 or 17 at the time and didn't know any better or notice I was being turned into that

until I noticed the pattern of the person threatening to hurt themselves when the friend group was conversing or doing an activity that wasn't focused on them and then excusing very out of line behaviors because of their mental illness which led to many hours of sleep deprivation (more threats to harm themselves if no one would stay awake with them all night) and negative consequences in my personal life/life outside of friendship

but I am glad that I learned that boundaries are important from experiencing such a bad series of events

Helvete

Helvete

Apr 9, 2024
Yes! very few "friends" will be able to really help and relate though, and you will find out very quickly who your real friends are when you try.

• Informative
LevUwU

LevUwU

I hate my life and the government
Mar 16, 2024
My friends have been my rock for as long as I have known, however, knowing that what I am doing in the end is emotional manipulation and abuse makes it hard for me to keep doing so knowing that I am the cause of more pain they do not need. Overall, no, it's not a good idea for their sake, yet, I do it anyways like the monster I am.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've had both experiences. Sometimes, friends and family have been of huge comfort and support. The whole- 'A problem shared is a problem halved.' Other times, their responses have made me feel so much worse. I guess it depends on the person. Can we predict how they will respond? Most of the time now though, I err on the side of caution now and, don't tell them. Because- however helpful or kind they might be, ultimately I'm still on my own dealing with whatever it is. What can they actually do at the end of the day? Doesn't seem worth risking a response that makes me feel pathetic or attention seeking or a burden.

Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
What friends?? You're telling me those are real?

But on a serious note, sometimes it can provide a huge sense of comfort and support to know those present in your life understand you and care enough about your personal struggles but they may use to this to magnify your weaknesses and may use this to harm you later on, eventually replacing you with someone else once you're no longer convenient to keep around. If your honest, it may be reciprocated but sometimes, it's best not to when they'll most likely talk about you behind your back to someone else.

tbroken

tbroken

Wizard
Feb 22, 2024
What friends?? You're telling me those are real?

But on a serious note, sometimes it can provide a huge sense of comfort and support to know those present in your life understand you and care enough about your personal struggles but they may use to this to magnify your weaknesses and may use this to harm you later on, eventually replacing you with someone else once you're no longer convenient to keep around. If your honest, it may be reciprocated but sometimes, it's best not to when they'll most likely talk about you behind your back to someone else.
Totally agree.
Especially if you're young, just complete school, fake strength, do sports or hobbies and do not show weakness. They will use it against you, every time they can.

Chronosphere

Chronosphere

Student
Jan 17, 2024
When I was a kid I talked about suicide with some of my internet friends and eventually we stopped communicating.
Can't blame them though, I wouldn't know how to react either honestly.

• Informative
sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
No. It would probably distance you from them since most people like happy people. People don't want to hear about your problems
they may use to this to magnify your weaknesses and may use this to harm you later on, eventually replacing you with someone else once you're no longer convenient to keep around. If your honest, it may be reciprocated but sometimes, it's best not to when they'll most likely talk about you behind your back to someone else.
Why do people harm on others? Why do they talk about others behind their back? I hate that so much. That's literally two-faced
fake strength and do not show weakness. They will use it against you, every time they can.
Why?

Last edited:
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
Why do people harm on others? Why do they talk about others behind their back? I hate that so much. That's literally two-faced
Been asking myself that for quite some time, is it maybe that it fulfills something within themselves to see people hurt or is it to feel superior to make the weaknesses of others known to the world so they can be ridiculed and mocked, I don't know.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
No. They'll just cut you out eventually if you keep doing it. Nobody likes a moaner. The only person possibly capable of listening is your mother if she doesn't have issues herself. Unfortunately I've found out the truth about this the hard way.

The world is a terribly hypocritical place. Everything that's said generally in public about mental health with people looking and nodding with each other in agreement is basically bullshit. Affirming what should be ideal and agreeing on it as a normative prescription makes them feel good about themselves as long as they are called upon to actually practice it when everybody begins to think it as a pain in the neck and look for excuses to run away.

I'd say it's best to be your own best friend. Improve your critical thinking skills and figure your own way out. Find a special someone with whom you can share your life. That person is probably the only one who'd be willing to listen..

U

uniqueusername18

Apr 7, 2024
From my experience at least, I've found if you share your vulnerabilities with the people that are meant to love you, you become a target.

I'm lucky my family (parents) aren't like that, but my partners and friends? Just no, they will go for you.

• Informative
IonicLemon69

IonicLemon69

Just Hangin’ Around
Jan 27, 2024
Definitely depends on what kind of friend they are I guess. Though I feel majority of the time it just makes the relationship distant & uncomfortable depending on how much you divulge..

• Informative