• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
If one is mistaken or unsure as to what makes one happy, one can experiment to find out what works or at least comes closer.

• Love
Reactions: whywere and Mr2005
LastLoveLetter

LastLoveLetter

Persephone
Mar 28, 2021
Nothing makes me happy anymore. The anhedonia and hopelessness have seen to that.

Temporary glimmers of better moments and ignoring everything else has never worked for me. It is a bandaid, not a solution.

Plus, some things simply cannot be ignored, and in some cases, attempting to bury those things only makes them fester.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I'm not unhappy with what I do. It's the time in between doing that makes me miserable. And I do less and less with each day.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppet_nihilist
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I try to find, everyday, 1 thing to make me smile, happy, no matter if it is for a minute or longer. With my depression, it helps to get a darn break. Great post @Mr2005 ! Walter

Reactions: Mr2005
Livingvsdying25

Livingvsdying25

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2019
Nothing makes me happy. Nothing brings me enjoyment. So, suggestions like this don't make sense to me and only make me frustrated to start thinking about. Like its so miserable to not enjoy anything in life. It's even more miserable when I try to find out WHAT would make me happy... amd then there's just nothing

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, that's good advice.
Unfortunately, some people are in such complicated situations that they have no choice but having a job they hate.

As for me, I tried different jobs and was very unhappy. I just cried everyday.

Then, I found my passion: teaching.
Now, I'm really happy with my job but I'm still suicidal due to other reasons such as finding life pointless.

Leaving working aside, you're right. We gotta do things we love. If you hate university, just quit.
If you wanna eat junk food everyday (like me lol), do it!!!

Just be YOU!

Shadowrider

Shadowrider

Student
Jan 26, 2021
I have a quite strange problem with doing what makes me happy.

I experience an intense feeling of guilt and a cruel urge to punish myself each and every time I do anything that makes me really happy. Playing the guitar is the only exception - don't know why but the self-punishment never comes after playing.
But every time I start doing anything I actually like, this guilt hits me very hard. An intense aggression towards myself - this is a feeling I can hardly describe, but I do brutal things.

I have ideas about what I should do, I have a long list of things that can make me happy. But I can never do any of them.

Has anyone else experienced it? If so, how do you cope with this feeling?

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
HI! @WornOutLife , Matt has it 100% correct. You will find this out when you get a lot older, like maybe 65?, YIKES! like me, but what Matt said at the end of his post is 100% correct, "just be you". YES! Spot on! My "parents" HATED me from the time I was born, "the mistake", I have had people through 65 plus years look, turn their nose up, laugh in my face..etc, one gets the point, and I have ALWAYS rowed my boat my way, I have NEVER hurt, looked down, did anything wrong or and, to anyone, just lived and let live. If someone is going to judge darn it they will, BUT try and remember that people who judge are actually looking in a mirror when they judge others and are judging themselves. Easy to judge, hard to understand. Walter

Last edited:
R

Remember-Me-Not

I think I'm going to be okay.
Dec 10, 2019
This is good advice - life is too short to do things that make you unhappy.

But personally, nothing really sparks joy or happiness in me anymore (And I have truly tried, and still trying, to find that thing that makes me 'happy.' Still nothing). So while I can't truly follow this advice 100%, I hope others can.

TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

In the kingdom of th blind; the one-eyed are kings
Jan 24, 2021
I'm not sure if I'm ever truly happy.
I struggle with sobriety, anger (we were messed up as kids, and adults)
My sisters on meds that control her anger, but she doesn't laugh or cry or listen to music.
Thats why I'm off smack :: tired of being untouchable zombie.
She's likeable that way, when she's off meds these flashes of hatred show through. Its scary I might be like that... I'd never rely on meds :: I'd abuse them.
I'm more hurt than healed, but hey thats life as they say.
FUCK EM. I'll get there, so will u.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
I think the things I need to be happy are unattainable in this life, damn it! from the beginning my existence was conditioned

destiny

destiny

she/her
Aug 21, 2021
The thought of my body being underground, nature retaking me, bottom feeders feasting on me, a tree growing from me. Well okay guess I've found my place

TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

In the kingdom of th blind; the one-eyed are kings
Jan 24, 2021
Migs sleeping
I know I look happy. No fucking way.
I'm not sleeping. I'm mindfucking. I look kinda peacefull, but its all a fucking lie.
I'm planning something, probably something destructive.
I wish I would just die in my fkg sleep.

Symphony in Blue :: Kate Bush

I spent a lot of my time looking at blue
The color of my room and my mood
Blue on the walls, blue out of my mouth
The sort of blue between clouds, when the sun comes out
The sort of blue in those eyes you get hung up about

[Verse 2]
When that feeling of meaninglessness sets in
Go blowing my mind on God
The light in the dark, with the neon arms
The meek He seeks, the beast He calms
The head of the good soul department

[Chorus]
I see myself suddenly
On the piano, as a melody
My terrible fear of dying
No longer plays with me
For now I know that I'm needed
For the symphony

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lmd and whywere
meetapple

meetapple

Mage
Jun 3, 2021
I have had to give up things that make me happy such as tennis. So I settle for things that aren't too unpleasant.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere