• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
Hi,hope it's ok to be post again soon,I was just reading and came across a way to do a little test on SN so I got some of my blood fresh and as it says added 0.1 max of the SN powder I received and the result is in the pic below. From what I have read this is a very good sign Testsnsmall   Copy

Mods if this is unacceptable I apologise and feel free to remove post or merge it into the right place.

The result in pic appears to be the correct one so it may help others if they want to run similar yet.

S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
Well as I guess a few others here I am sometimes a cutter,ESP with a. Reason so I cut thigh and let it fill up the table spoon a bit and I used the handle of a spoon just to get a few specks of An on it and dropped on and mixed and it changed colour instantly ,within 3 seconds it had all gone brown
I just dabbed it up with dressing bandage and will put into bio waste bin in chemist. Tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: unprecocious
S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
I can't answer the last question I'm afraid but the way it changed as soon as the SN how it began to darken I would think a few drops might be enough. Keep in mind blood does tend to go a dark kinda colour when dry or clotting. That's why I literally did it straight from my leg to spoon to drop Am in it with about 15 second of it coming out of my body so make sure it was a bright red as I could be lol

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
I can't answer the last question I'm afraid but the way it changed as soon as the SN how it began to darken I would think a few drops might be enough. Keep in mind blood does tend to go a dark kinda colour when dry or clotting. That's why I literally did it straight from my leg to spoon to drop Am in it with about 15 second of it coming out of my body so make sure it was a bright red as I could be lol
Everything that I have read indicates that the blood doesn't change colour with Sodium Nitrate.
You only need a drop of blood for the test.
I have also read that opening your SN should only happen a few days before you use it, to avoid breakdown from moisture/air.
If you want to use an aquarium test kit to test your SN, use the search function.
Thank you for posting this.

S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
I didn't mind opening it for a few seconds to get some out as it is in a well sealed container inside an aortite tube. Also a few sprinkles from the top hopefully wouldn't have let too much air in and whe. I done to use it properly I will most likely remove the first few hundred grams on top to try to negate anything the air has a chance to get to. But on another side I thought it was worth the risk to get the yet done and the pics for you guys.

devil

devil

Jun 22, 2019
sorry this is probably going to sound super dumb, but what is the blood test suppose to show? or I mean what exactly are you testing?

Reactions: Freelyffe88
MsMaudlin

MsMaudlin

This is the fierce last stand of all I am
Dec 8, 2019
I didn't mind opening it for a few seconds to get some out as it is in a well sealed container inside an aortite tube. Also a few sprinkles from the top hopefully wouldn't have let too much air in and whe. I done to use it properly I will most likely remove the first few hundred grams on top to try to negate anything the air has a chance to get to. But on another side I thought it was worth the risk to get the yet done and the pics for you guys.
Thankyou for doing this!

S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
sorry this is probably going to sound super dumb, but what is the blood test suppose to show? or I mean what exactly are you testing?
To me honest I not sure of the total process but SN is supposed to turn blood from red to dark drown as it stops the blood being able to help on the the red blood cells or changes them to another state in which that can't carry oxygen,hence the change in colour from red oxygen rich blood bin sure another person will describe it more intelligently than me tho

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
The blood test shows that you actually have Sodium Nitrite of a high enough purity to cause methemoglobinemia. If your drop of blood turns brown, then the nitrite is bonding with the hemoglobin in your blood, and knocking the oxygen molecules off the red blood cells.

S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
The blood test shows that you actually have Sodium Nitrite of a high enough purity to cause methemoglobinemia. If your drop of blood turns brown, then the nitrite is bonding with the hemoglobin in your blood, and knocking the oxygen molecules off the red blood cells.
Yeah.thats what I sort of was trying to say lol as I said, something more intelligent will answer for me

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Awesome! Thank you for posting this the visual very likely help people. For those asking the SN is basically deoxygenating the blood, and causing a chemical change in the iron in the blood. when you consume SN all of your blood will look chocolate brown, and it will not be able to bind with oxygen.

A

aloneintheworld

Student
Dec 12, 2019
Everything that I have read indicates that the blood doesn't change colour with Sodium Nitrate.
You only need a drop of blood for the test.
I have also read that opening your SN should only happen a few days before you use it, to avoid breakdown from moisture/air.
If you want to use an aquarium test kit to test your SN, use the search function.
Thank you for posting this.
Do you think I would need to order a new one I had mine opened for a couple hours a month ago when I was going to attempt it but then fell asleep because the protocol before made me too tired

Reactions: Meditation guide
WhiteEyes

WhiteEyes

always late
Jan 20, 2020
thanks for posting, maybe it can be added to the wiki. I was wondering how it looked.

Reactions: seafarer
LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Do you think I would need to order a new one I had mine opened for a couple hours a month ago when I was going to attempt it but then fell asleep because the protocol before made me too tired
I am no expert, but:
Perhaps you could do the blood test? If the drop of blood turns brown, I imagine that it is not too degraded to work.

S

seafarer

Student
Jan 30, 2020
You can see the colour change went thru ,both took with the fast on and went from bright red to almost black looking and was just a few sprinkles of the stuff. It was kind of crazy to see it happen

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
I don't think this is a that members should be encouraged to use, as member asked whether it's dark brown or light answered:
somewhere in between..
This tells me that although we know that blood turns dark , in reality it's not that obvious or practical to many members .

The difference between 70% and 20% is not easily recognizable , same for the difference between 20% and 3% . That's good for trained paramedics or nurses to make a rough quick diagnosis , and for med students to know . Otherwise tests based on colour spectrum are problematic and always give a very rough estimate . (pH strips come to mind)

I understand this is rough indicative that could help some , but it should not be used as a general practice . Same apply for the aquarium test kit .

While the blood test information may be valuable it's not a clear test , may cause confusion , or lead to a practice of people drawing blood .

It's good to know rather than good to do .

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I don't think this is a that members should be encouraged to use, as member asked whether it's dark brown or light answered:

can say somewhere in between..

This tells me that although we know that blood turns dark , in reality it's not that obvious or practical to many members .

The difference between 70% and 20% is not easily recognizable , same for the difference between 20% and 3% . That's good for trained paramedics or nurses to make a rough quick diagnosis , and for med students to know . Otherwise tests based on colour spectrum are problematic and always give a very rough estimate . (pH strips come to mind)

I understand this is rough indicative that could help some , but it should not be used as a general practice . Same apply for the aquarium test kit .

While the blood test information may be valuable it's not a clear test , may cause confusion , or lead to a practice of people drawing blood .

It's good to know rather than good to do .

Just to give the whole picture of @ashwin's comment, he originally posted that the blood test does not work, as he tested, his blood turned brown, and the SN failed. I commented on that thread and asked him the color, if it was dark chocolate or coffee with cream, and the quoted response shared here was his answer to that question, somewhere in between.

There are lots of SN posts that talk about testing blood, many say dark chocolate brown, but it's easy enough to just see the word brown and think all is okay. This is the only thread I've seen that gives guidance.

As I said in a comment on an aquarium test kit thread yesterday, I tried a kit with no color change, and testing a small amount of my blood by poking my belly with a safety pin, not by drawing blood or cutting, turned the blood a coffee with cream color. I ordered new SN and will use both testing methods before I use the SN.

Just tonight, @Finding_Peace was preparing to ctb with SN but was nervous about the quality as it was white instead of yellow. I referred her to this thread, posts 1 & 21. She replied:

Thanks for this! Super useful and reassuring. It's definitely the right stuff. When I read briefly about the blood test method, I assumed it would happen over several minutes, but it turned dark brown instantly.

Not long after, she posted she had taken the SN and was reporting rapid onset of common symptoms.

So I respect if we have a difference of opinion. Mine is that this is a good thing to do if someone chooses to do it, not just good to know. Especially if some are going to do it, but don't know there is a range of colors, and if it's not on the dark end of the spectrum, the SN won't produce the necessary methemoglobinemia needed for the method to succeed.

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Following UK media shit storm posting blood pictures all over is bad , let alone pinned at the top

Next members will share blood pics -- ask if it's brown enough ...

I would not make 'blood sampling' a common practice

* I'm not critical of thread -- info provided is appreciated

Reactions: Emberfire118
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Following UK media shit storm posting blood pictures all over is bad , let alone pinned at the top

Next members will share blood pics -- ask if it's brown enough ...

I would not make 'blood sampling' a common practice

* I'm not critical of thread -- info provided is appreciated

So first let me say I'm debating the points made, not having an argument. We've debated before, @Quarky00, I do so with respect for you.

Your first statement feels like it is generative of fear, and a bit hyperbolic ("posting blood pictures all over"). There are many things posted on this site the UK media would disapprove of, from links to and photos of hangings, to personal photos of cutting scars, let alone instructions for ctb methods. At what point does this site give the media the power to dictate content, or content placement, based on their past, present, or potential disapproval? It seems as if I made my case in my previous post, but now the bar has been raised to meet a higher standard, that of UK media; that your appeal is based on their authoritative power, which they do not have here, and is in fact derided on this forum; and that the small step I have suggested will lead to shit storm.

The second statement is a slippery slope fallacy, that is, that one small step will inevitably lead to an imaginary snowballing chain of events, therefore the step should not be taken. So, if this thread becomes a resource, members will start sharing photos of their blood, asking if it is brown enough, as happens with other methods. But leading to what awful thing(s), besides a media shit storm? How is it different from people posting photos of their SN supplies, or the ropes they buy, or the CO setups they build?

The third statement is that you would not make blood sampling a common practice. You have argued against it. What then do you suggest people do to ensure their SN is pure enough to cause methemoglobinemia if you do not approve of blood sampling as a common practice of testing, especially given the fact it is already commonly practiced? And just because you personally would not make it a common practice, is it therefore invalid for those who would and do find benefit from it?

If you would like it, I now respectfully hand the floor back to you.

Last edited:
D

Dear Flabby

Please listen to “Across the Universe”
Feb 20, 2020
I tested two samples of SN purchased from two different vendors.
Observations:
Within 3 seconds, the colour changed markedly.
The colour went from "Fire Engine Red" to "Chocolate Syrup".
Other descriptive words for the final colour would be:
Hot fudge sauce.
Used motor oil
Teriyaki Sauce

Personally, speaking for myself, if the result had been "coffee with cream", I would consider the SN inadequate for my purpose. (No source. My parameters)

Again, speaking for myself, If I didn't notice a colour change after timing 30 seconds, I would consider the SN inadequate for my purpose. (No source. My parameters)

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
So first let me say I'm debating the points made, not having an argument. We've debated before, @Quarky00, I do so with respect for you.

Your first statement feels like it is generative of fear, and a bit hyperbolic ("posting blood pictures all over"). There are many things posted on this site the UK media would disapprove of, from links to and photos of hangings, to personal photos of cutting scars, let alone instructions for ctb methods. At what point does this site give the media the power to dictate content, or content placement, based on their past, present, or potential disapproval? It seems as if I made my case in my previous post, but now the bar has been raised to meet a higher standard, that of UK media; that your appeal is based on their authoritative power, which they do not have here, and is in fact derided on this forum; and that the small step I have suggested will lead to shit storm.

The second statement is a slippery slope fallacy, that is, that one small step will inevitably lead to an imaginary snowballing chain of events, therefore the step should not be taken. So, if this thread becomes a resource, members will start sharing photos of their blood, asking if it is brown enough, as happens with other methods. But leading to what awful thing(s), besides a media shit storm? How is it different from people posting photos of their SN supplies, or the ropes they buy, or the CO setups they build?

The third statement is that you would not make blood sampling a common practice. You have argued against it. What then do you suggest people do to ensure their SN is pure enough to cause methemoglobinemia if you do not approve of blood sampling as a common practice of testing, especially given the fact it is already commonly practiced? And just because you personally would not make it a common practice, is it therefore invalid for those who would and do find benefit from it?

If you would like it, I now respectfully hand the floor back to you.
I think I tend to agree with @Quarky00 about using photos as sparingly as possible.
We don't want to become a "gore" type website, and I do think there are potential "slippery slope" type dangers.
Obviously it's the sort of thing that could be debated in depth, which I don't really have the inclination or energy for.
In general there is a balance that needs to be struck...
People already post too many photos of "here, look what I just ordered", etc.
For this thread, the OP could have picked an RGB colour that matches their photo, and posted an image of a colour block, rather than a photo.

Anyhow, just throwing my view into the ring.....

enjolras

enjolras

Dead are useless if not to love the living more
Feb 13, 2020
If the problem is being too graphic, use a macro zoom or edit the photo framed avoiding accessories and texture, rename it the "colour test"

This has proven to be rather objective and a safety net for a few members. That cannot be always said when there is an overflood of plain text info appearing optional, supposed and untested, if not sub-optimal or potentially damaging.
Opposing censorship restrictions, people can at least decide for themselves where they extract meaning. There's enough about exercising our own quality control from judgement than being self-conscious about an external police imho

Last edited:
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
edit the photo framed avoiding accessories and texture, rename it the "colour test"
Perfect . :smiling: That's a really great idea . No gore , just the colour .

could have picked an RGB colour that matches their photo
Will need to use Gamma correction for the sRGB colour space using ICC Profile .

* Nah, I'm just quibbling;) Though fair point for general usage of colour as indciator.

Last edited: