• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

bridgegirl

bridgegirl

life on the edge, I guess
Oct 16, 2023
They really will. There are some strange kinks out there, but as long as it is between two consenting adults, there's nothing wrong with that.

Anyone have any other questions not related to necrophilia?
My comment wasn't about necrophilia but was referencing the chloroform, although you have certainly received a lot of interest regarding the former on here.

Speaking of dead bodies - I was wondering about embalming. What is really involved in that, like what is the process and why is it done? Is that part of your job?

Reactions: mehdone
Charlotte_blermf

Charlotte_blermf

FREAK OF NATURE // blermf
Nov 13, 2023
What do you need to do to become a mortician? I'm curious because if I don't kms then I'm interested in that line of work from a class I'm taking rn and I wanna know what I would need to do in the future to become a mortician.

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
My comment wasn't about necrophilia but was referencing the chloroform, although you have certainly received a lot of interest regarding the former on here.

Speaking of dead bodies - I was wondering about embalming. What is really involved in that, like what is the process and why is it done? Is that part of your job?
I do embalm. It is done to temporarily preserve the body, and to make them look their best for their viewing.

The process starts by us removing the body from the cooler and transferring them into the embalming room (prep or preparation room).

We will double check identification of the deceased, and double check that we have the correct authorization to embalm them.

We will then transfer them onto the embalming table, and remove them from the plastic body bag. The body bag will then go into a biohazard bin.

We will wash the body, and as we do we will note the condition of the body and any issues or problems that we will need to address- open wounds, bed sores, etc.

We then cover the genitalia with a cotton towel.

We will place the head on a head block.

We then disinfect all orifices.

Next, we set the features. Eye caps are used in the eyes to both hold the lids closed and to bring them back up to normal height- eyeballs get sunken in with death.

The mouth is closed either via sutures or by using a needle injector- this device embeds metal studs into the bone. These studs have metal wire tails, and they are twisted together like a twisty tie to hold the mouth closed. If necessary, we will also put a mouth guard/cap behind the lips to keep the lips positioned as we want, and fill out the area around the mouth if needed. We can create a gentle, peaceful smile by placing small balls of cotton between the gum line and inner upper lip.

We will then analyze the body again and see if there's anything else we need to address- any areas that may need tissue filler, etc. Formaldehyde links proteins together- it creates an insoluble bond, which causes firming. So it is much easier to address any issues prior to the embalming process.

We'll place our hose at the head end of the table. The embalming table has channels down the sides for drainage. At the foot end of the table, there is a hole for drainage- this is positioned over a sink. The table will be at a slight angle with the feet lower. This is to assist in drainage, but also because we always want the head higher than the body to reduce swelling.

We will clean the fingernails, and then place the arms on arm blocks and position the hands in the correct position- remember, formaldehyde causes firming. The arms will still be able to move after the embalming process, but it is best to set them in the position that they will be in their coffin/casket.

We will choose which artery we want to raise. I prefer the femoral artery, as it will always be hidden by clothing.

We will make our incision over or next to the artery (depending on which artery we are raising).

We will use a scalpel to cut through the skin, making an incision between 2.5 and 3.5cm long.

We will place a tissue spreader in the incision to hold it open.

We will hold a tool called an aneurysm hook in each hand. This is a tool with a blunt, hooked tip. We will use these tools to dig through the fat to reach the artery. As the body heats up, that fat can melt, which makes it harder to see- so we want to be quick and proficient. We will raise up the artery and vein with an aneurysm hook- although sometimes it's easier to just fish it out with a finger.

We will slip the handle of the other aneurysm hook under the artery and vein to hold them above the skin.

We will carefully separate the artery from the vein, and then loosely tie 2 stings around each, one near the bottom of the incision, one near the top.

We will make a small incision into the artery.

Then we will mix up our embalming solution. The chemicals we use and mix together is case by case dependent- and will vary depending on the state of the body and cause of death. For example, an emaciated body will require more humectant, an edematous body will require less water or no water, someone who was on chemotherapy will require a stronger formaldehyde solution, etc.

We will set our pressure and flow rate on the embalming machine.

Coming off of the embalming machine is a hose, and at the end of that hose is a detachable arterial tube- this is a large bore, blunt tip needle.

We will insert that arterial tube into the artery. We will start pumping down into the body first.

We will tighten the string on the artery above the arterial tube, tighten the other string around the arterial tube and artery, and use a clamping device to hold it in place.

We will begin injecting our embalming solution. I prefer to set the embalming machine to a pulse setting to mimic the heart. As we inject, we will massage and rub the tissue to help with distribution.

After the first 20 minutes (we wanted to build up some pressure, but not cause swelling), we will open the vein for drainage, and insert a vein expander into it.

This is when the blood will properly start flowing out of the body as it is replaced with embalming fluid.

We will continue injecting while massaging the tissue until we're confident that we've received full distribution.

We will then remove the arterial tube and turn it around to pump up the body, watching carefully for facial swelling and massaging the tissue. As we pump upward, we will recreate any necessary facial lines with the handle of the aneurysm hook- muscles relax after death, and this can cause them to fade.

We will then check to make sure we got proper distribution everywhere. If a limb or whatnot did not get proper distribution, we will raise another artery closer to that limb and inject from there as well.

We will remove the arterial tube and the vein expander, and tighten all 4 strings.

We will treat the incision area with a drying chemical such as phenol, pack it with cotton soaked in the same, and then suture the incision.

We will wash the body again, then use a type of glue and cotton to cover the incision site, then place moisturizing cream on the face and hands, then cover them with plastic.

We will cover the body with a sheet, and ensure that our embalming report/notes are complete and accurate.

We will then disinfect all tools that we used, as well as the room.

In two to four hours, or the next day, we will aspirate and inject cavity fluid.

We do this with an instrument called a trocar. It is a large, long hollow needle. We will insert it into the body near the belly button, and use it to pierce and suction out the hollow organs.

We will then use the same device to inject cavity fluid- this is a much stronger formaldehyde solution than what we use for arterial embalming.

We will then seal that hole with a trocar button- this is a plastic screw.

We will check to see if any orifices need to plugged or stuffed.

We will thoroughly inspect the body for discoloration- if an area didn't get proper distribution, this will happen. We'll inject any areas with discoloration with embalming fluid via a hypodermic needle.

We will then check on that body daily to make sure nothing goes wrong before their viewing.
What do you need to do to become a mortician? I'm curious because if I don't kms then I'm interested in that line of work from a class I'm taking rn and I wanna know what I would need to do in the future to become a mortician.
That will depend on your location, but it will typically require graduating from a mortuary college and serving a paid internship for a set amount of time.

vanilladust

vanilladust

Nov 22, 2023
I wanted to be a mortician. I wanted to go to mortuary school but I'm on this site.

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
I wanted to be a mortician. I wanted to go to mortuary school but I'm on this site.
Sometimes it takes fucking years to overcome SI.

I went through mortuary college and have worked in the industry for over a decade even though I've been wanting to ctb for 2.5 decades.

I'm not a pro-lifer by any means, and that should be evident in my posts- but there is nothing wrong with living life while you're still breathing, until you can't anymore. At the same time, I'm very familiar with being unable to even get out of bed- of not having the energy to even ctb, much less live life before ctb-ing.

vanilladust

vanilladust

Nov 22, 2023
Sometimes it takes fucking years to overcome SI.

I went through mortuary college and have worked in the industry for over a decade even though I've been wanting to ctb for 2.5 decades.

I'm not a pro-lifer by any means, and that should be evident in my posts- but there is nothing wrong with living life while you're still breathing, until you can't anymore. At the same time, I'm very familiar with being unable to even get out of bed- of not having the energy to even ctb, much less live life before ctb-ing.
I was supposed to go to mortuary school next fall. But i dont know if ill be around by then.

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
I was supposed to go to mortuary school next fall. But i dont know if ill be around by then.
On the off chance that you are, I would say don't drop out. If you're not around then- you staying enrolled isn't going to keep someone else from being able to attend.

I think we lost about 1/3 of our class after the first week as people realized that this was not for them. Less than half of our class made it to graduation.

bridgegirl

bridgegirl

Oct 16, 2023
I do embalm. It is done to temporarily preserve the body, and to make them look their best for their viewing.

The process starts by us removing the body from the cooler and transferring them into the embalming room (prep or preparation room).

We will double check identification of the deceased, and double check that we have the correct authorization to embalm them.

We will then transfer them onto the embalming table, and remove them from the plastic body bag. The body bag will then go into a biohazard bin.

We will wash the body, and as we do we will note the condition of the body and any issues or problems that we will need to address- open wounds, bed sores, etc.

We then cover the genitalia with a cotton towel.

We will place the head on a head block.

We then disinfect all orifices.

Next, we set the features. Eye caps are used in the eyes to both hold the lids closed and to bring them back up to normal height- eyeballs get sunken in with death.

The mouth is closed either via sutures or by using a needle injector- this device embeds metal studs into the bone. These studs have metal wire tails, and they are twisted together like a twisty tie to hold the mouth closed. If necessary, we will also put a mouth guard/cap behind the lips to keep the lips positioned as we want, and fill out the area around the mouth if needed. We can create a gentle, peaceful smile by placing small balls of cotton between the gum line and inner upper lip.

We will then analyze the body again and see if there's anything else we need to address- any areas that may need tissue filler, etc. Formaldehyde links proteins together- it creates an insoluble bond, which causes firming. So it is much easier to address any issues prior to the embalming process.

We'll place our hose at the head end of the table. The embalming table has channels down the sides for drainage. At the foot end of the table, there is a hole for drainage- this is positioned over a sink. The table will be at a slight angle with the feet lower. This is to assist in drainage, but also because we always want the head higher than the body to reduce swelling.

We will clean the fingernails, and then place the arms on arm blocks and position the hands in the correct position- remember, formaldehyde causes firming. The arms will still be able to move after the embalming process, but it is best to set them in the position that they will be in their coffin/casket.

We will choose which artery we want to raise. I prefer the femoral artery, as it will always be hidden by clothing.

We will make our incision over or next to the artery (depending on which artery we are raising).

We will use a scalpel to cut through the skin, making an incision between 2.5 and 3.5cm long.

We will place a tissue spreader in the incision to hold it open.

We will hold a tool called an aneurysm hook in each hand. This is a tool with a blunt, hooked tip. We will use these tools to dig through the fat to reach the artery. As the body heats up, that fat can melt, which makes it harder to see- so we want to be quick and proficient. We will raise up the artery and vein with an aneurysm hook- although sometimes it's easier to just fish it out with a finger.

We will slip the handle of the other aneurysm hook under the artery and vein to hold them above the skin.

We will carefully separate the artery from the vein, and then loosely tie 2 stings around each, one near the bottom of the incision, one near the top.

We will make a small incision into the artery.

Then we will mix up our embalming solution. The chemicals we use and mix together is case by case dependent- and will vary depending on the state of the body and cause of death. For example, an emaciated body will require more humectant, an edematous body will require less water or no water, someone who was on chemotherapy will require a stronger formaldehyde solution, etc.

We will set our pressure and flow rate on the embalming machine.

Coming off of the embalming machine is a hose, and at the end of that hose is a detachable arterial tube- this is a large bore, blunt tip needle.

We will insert that arterial tube into the artery. We will start pumping down into the body first.

We will tighten the string on the artery above the arterial tube, tighten the other string around the arterial tube and artery, and use a clamping device to hold it in place.

We will begin injecting our embalming solution. I prefer to set the embalming machine to a pulse setting to mimic the heart. As we inject, we will massage and rub the tissue to help with distribution.

After the first 20 minutes (we wanted to build up some pressure, but not cause swelling), we will open the vein for drainage, and insert a vein expander into it.

This is when the blood will properly start flowing out of the body as it is replaced with embalming fluid.

We will continue injecting while massaging the tissue until we're confident that we've received full distribution.

We will then remove the arterial tube and turn it around to pump up the body, watching carefully for facial swelling and massaging the tissue. As we pump upward, we will recreate any necessary facial lines with the handle of the aneurysm hook- muscles relax after death, and this can cause them to fade.

We will then check to make sure we got proper distribution everywhere. If a limb or whatnot did not get proper distribution, we will raise another artery closer to that limb and inject from there as well.

We will remove the arterial tube and the vein expander, and tighten all 4 strings.

We will treat the incision area with a drying chemical such as phenol, pack it with cotton soaked in the same, and then suture the incision.

We will wash the body again, then use a type of glue and cotton to cover the incision site, then place moisturizing cream on the face and hands, then cover them with plastic.

We will cover the body with a sheet, and ensure that our embalming report/notes are complete and accurate.

We will then disinfect all tools that we used, as well as the room.

In two to four hours, or the next day, we will aspirate and inject cavity fluid.

We do this with an instrument called a trocar. It is a large, long hollow needle. We will insert it into the body near the belly button, and use it to pierce and suction out the hollow organs.

We will then use the same device to inject cavity fluid- this is a much stronger formaldehyde solution than what we use for arterial embalming.

We will then seal that hole with a trocar button- this is a plastic screw.

We will check to see if any orifices need to plugged or stuffed.

We will thoroughly inspect the body for discoloration- if an area didn't get proper distribution, this will happen. We'll inject any areas with discoloration with embalming fluid via a hypodermic needle.

We will then check on that body daily to make sure nothing goes wrong before their viewing.

That will depend on your location, but it will typically require graduating from a mortuary college and serving a paid internship for a set amount of time.
So is embalming before or after an autopsy? Has the process changed a lot or will it change in the future? What types of things can go wrong before viewing? Is it possible to request to opt out of being embalmed? How long does embalming preserve a body for, if they are not immediately buried?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just oddly interesting.

R

RicoFR

Nov 8, 2023
Again, you seem exceptionally rational and clear-minded.
Do you feel your desire to CTB is rational as well?

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
So is embalming before or after an autopsy? Has the process changed a lot or will it change in the future? What types of things can go wrong before viewing? Is it possible to request to opt out of being embalmed? How long does embalming preserve a body for, if they are not immediately buried?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just oddly interesting.
Embalming would be done after an autopsy, if one is performed. The procedure for embalming after an autopsy is different than what I stated above- that procedure is for a body that was not autopsied. I'm happy to explain the procedure for embalming an autopsied body as well, if you'd like.

Things that can go wrong prior to a viewing- poor distribution can cause discoloration and rot. A bacteria called clostridium perfringens can cause tissue gas. Leakage is always a concern. Skin can dry out- especially the ears, eyelids, lips, and hands. Skin slip can happen.

Tissue gas is the biggest concern. It significantly increases the rate of decomposition, and causes bloating, discoloration, and leakage- and it has its own special stench. Tissue gas usually makes its presence known within a day or two of embalming. Formaldehyde doesn't neutralize it, it requires phenol or alcohol. It can make a body unviewable real quick if it is not caught. Its naturally present in soil and water, and if the coroner or mortician doesn't thoroughly disinfect their tools, it can be transmitted from body to body.

A good mortician will check on their cases daily- and during the viewing, will keep a paper towel in their pocket, and make occasional slow passes by the deceased to look for any issues.

A fellow mortician embalmed a woman's son. She was so touched that her son "cried" while she was talking to him.

We were both just like, "Oh god….". What do you do in that situation? Do you let them have that moment, or explain that it was either bodily fluids or chemicals? We let her have the moment, but, dead bodies don't cry.

Embalming requires you or your next of kin to opt in and authorize it, not opt out.

A properly embalmed body, with appropriate aftercare, can still be viewable after a month or more- but at that point, odors need to be overcome.
Again, you seem exceptionally rational and clear-minded.
Do you feel your desire to CTB is rational as well?
Define rational?
My desire to ctb has actually changed/lessened recently, for the first time in my life.
Prior to that, yes, I think that wanting to ctb is a rational response to a lifetime of pain, suffering, and depression.

Reactions: divinemistress36
L

Ligottian

Warlock
Dec 19, 2021
I get all kinds of conflicting answers to this question online. Hope you can help. How long does a properly embalmed "fresh" corpse buried in a casket inside a metal vault last before decomposition really takes hold? Or is this a "your mileage may greatly vary question"?

L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
What do you do in that situation?
The answer to that is pretty clear, no? The same way you wouldn't try to argue with someone bereaved that their loved one is in heaven.

My desire to ctb has actually changed/lessened recently, for the first time in my life.
Prior to that, yes, I think that wanting to ctb is a rational response to a lifetime of pain, suffering, and depression.

What do you attribute that to? Your time spent here, to any degree?

UnwillingSavior

UnwillingSavior

Mr. Self Destruct
Nov 2, 2023
What amount of decomposition becomes impossible to do any work for an open casket viewing? Is there a fine line?

bridgegirl

bridgegirl

Oct 16, 2023
Embalming would be done after an autopsy, if one is performed. The procedure for embalming after an autopsy is different than what I stated above- that procedure is for a body that was not autopsied. I'm happy to explain the procedure for embalming an autopsied body as well, if you'd like.

Things that can go wrong prior to a viewing- poor distribution can cause discoloration and rot. A bacteria called clostridium perfringens can cause tissue gas. Leakage is always a concern. Skin can dry out- especially the ears, eyelids, lips, and hands. Skin slip can happen.

Tissue gas is the biggest concern. It significantly increases the rate of decomposition, and causes bloating, discoloration, and leakage- and it has its own special stench. Tissue gas usually makes its presence known within a day or two of embalming. Formaldehyde doesn't neutralize it, it requires phenol or alcohol. It can make a body unviewable real quick if it is not caught. Its naturally present in soil and water, and if the coroner or mortician doesn't thoroughly disinfect their tools, it can be transmitted from body to body.

A good mortician will check on their cases daily- and during the viewing, will keep a paper towel in their pocket, and make occasional slow passes by the deceased to look for any issues.

A fellow mortician embalmed a woman's son. She was so touched that her son "cried" while she was talking to him.

We were both just like, "Oh god….". What do you do in that situation? Do you let them have that moment, or explain that it was either bodily fluids or chemicals? We let her have the moment, but, dead bodies don't cry.

Embalming requires you or your next of kin to opt in and authorize it, not opt out.

A properly embalmed body, with appropriate aftercare, can still be viewable after a month or more- but at that point, odors need to be overcome.

Define rational?
Yes, hit me - how is it different for autopsied bodies? This is so weird kind of, but really intensely fascinating.

And I know this reply was to someone else, but how has your desire to ctb changed or lessened recently? What caused it? How does that feel? Is it even… possible?

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
I get all kinds of conflicting answers to this question online. Hope you can help. How long does a properly embalmed "fresh" corpse buried in a casket inside a metal vault last before decomposition really takes hold? Or is this a "your mileage may greatly vary question"?
This is one of those, "your mileage may vary greatly" things.
Too many variables- from the skill of the embalmer, to the environment, to whether or not the gravedigger actually sealed the vault or just put the lid on.
What amount of decomposition becomes impossible to do any work for an open casket viewing? Is there a fine line?
It is dependent on the skill of the embalmer. There does come a point where the bloating is too significant to overcome.
Skin slip and discolorations can be easily overcome, as can scents.
Yes, hit me - how is it different for autopsied bodies? This is so weird kind of, but really intensely fascinating.

And I know this reply was to someone else, but how has your desire to ctb changed or lessened recently? What caused it? How does that feel? Is it even… possible?
If I hadn't found this place, I would without a doubt be dead by now.
Something sparked a will to live in me. It feels… it's hard, and I struggle with it. My entire life I have been wanting nothing more than death, and working towards it through self destruction in case I couldn't overcome SI again. It feels like I ripped a piece of my soul out- a fundamental part of me.
It feels like I lost a crutch- sometimes just knowing that I could ctb helped me to get through hard times. Thinking that it's not an option anymore is absolutely fucking terrifying.

With autopsied bodies, we will bath them first. We will set their features.
Then, we will cut open the poorly done sutures from the coroner- around the cranium and the Y incision.

We will remove the chest plate and the viscera bag. We will transfer that viscera into a new biohazard bag in a bucket, and pour in enough cavity fluid to cover it.

On the head, we will peel the forehead/scalp back and remove the skull cap/calvarium. This and the chest plate will be washed, treated with phenol, and set aside for the moment.

If the coroner was nice and left us enough of the arteries, we can inject through the body cavity. Either one limb at a time, or by attaching a Y adapter to the embalming machine hose so that we can inject both legs and then both arms at the same time.
If the coroner wasn't nice, we'll have to raise vessels on each limb.

We will use a stronger embalmer solution, because an autopsy means that there has been a delay between death and embalming. We may also use additional dye in our solution to help cover the postmortem stain.

As we embalm limbs and head, we will use a suction device to remove blood and excess embalming fluid from the body cavity so that we are not breathing in those fumes.

We'll also inject the head through the body cavity.

It's hard to get good distribution on an autopsied body, so we will end up doing a lot of hypodermic injection of our embalming fluid, using a long needle and injecting in a fan pattern- especially on the trunk of the body.

If the trachea was removed during the autopsy, we will roll up some cotton and push it up there to recreate the natural shape of the throat/neck.

We will use mortuary putty to seal the lower cavity floor- this prevents leakage.

Then it's time to put them back together.

We will start layering the organs in the chest cavity, using large amounts of paraformaldehye (powdered formaldehyde) between each layer- or we will use hardening compound.

We'll place the sternum back in place and suture the Y incision, then cover it in sealant/glue followed by cotton, then plastic.

For the head, we will take a ball of cotton and cover it in putty- this is to recreate some of the weight of the brain so that the head doesn't just flop over if a loved one kisses them. We will place that inside of the skull and replace the calvarium. We can hold it in place through multiple means- we can create a web of long sutures going from muscle to muscle over the top of the calvarium, we can use strips of metal with spikes, or my preferred method- calvarium clamps.

I prefer clamps because with them, there is no chance of the calvarium getting dislodged if the body is jostled during casketing or dressing.

We'll use more putty to cover the line between the calvarium and the lower part of the skull- this will be a visible line across the forehead if we don't.

We'll pull the face and scalp back up, and suture the incision.

Last edited:
bridgegirl

bridgegirl

Oct 16, 2023
Do you know what that something was that sparked that will in you? Is it something anyone could get? I can't imagine what that feels like for you. It does sound terrifying. Would you say that you're still self-destructive, or is this feeling too new for you to say?

So most bodies are autopsied, correct? So the process would usually be harder then as opposed to if they were not? Does the coroner know that they're supposed to leave enough of the arteries - or do they not do that if they're being jerks, or what? What is the postmortem stain you mentioned? Does breathing in the fumes have any effect on you, or is it just unpleasant? Why might an autopsy remove the trachea? Does the brain really weigh all that much as to affect things like how you mentioned with movement? Why do organs have to be layered in - why aren't they just put back in? If someone was an organ donor and now some/most of the organs are gone, how does this process change - is the weight different and needs to be accounted for? And lastly, if that line across the forehead is covered - is there ever any bad work where you can still see the line during a viewing? What are some examples of the embalming process that are more commonly done poorly? And sorry, one more actually - pulling the face up/down? Like, the whole face???

And how would any of this change for me, after I would jump from a height? Would I still have organs? What about anything that.. dislodged when I landed?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just interesting, and I want to know what will happen.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
I've worked on people of all ages. The younger ones are the worst- especially teenagers and early twenties, where they were just getting started in life and had so much potential. It's incredibly emotionally taxing, and all deaths prior to their time- ie, prior to old age- they stick with you. They drain away bits of yourself. You remember their faces. You remember their names. You remember their family's grief, and you share in it silently.
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but you say that sometimes cases are emotionally and mentally taxing on you, so why help people who are struggling to ctb? Just curious

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
Do you know what that something was that sparked that will in you? Is it something anyone could get? I can't imagine what that feels like for you. It does sound terrifying. Would you say that you're still self-destructive, or is this feeling too new for you to say?

So most bodies are autopsied, correct? So the process would usually be harder then as opposed to if they were not? Does the coroner know that they're supposed to leave enough of the arteries - or do they not do that if they're being jerks, or what? What is the postmortem stain you mentioned? Does breathing in the fumes have any effect on you, or is it just unpleasant? Why might an autopsy remove the trachea? Does the brain really weigh all that much as to affect things like how you mentioned with movement? Why do organs have to be layered in - why aren't they just put back in? If someone was an organ donor and now some/most of the organs are gone, how does this process change - is the weight different and needs to be accounted for? And lastly, if that line across the forehead is covered - is there ever any bad work where you can still see the line during a viewing? What are some examples of the embalming process that are more commonly done poorly? And sorry, one more actually - pulling the face up/down? Like, the whole face???

And how would any of this change for me, after I would jump from a height? Would I still have organs? What about anything that.. dislodged when I landed?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just interesting, and I want to know what will happen.
I know what it was that sparked that will in me, but it is intensely personal.
No, I don't think it's something anyone could get, I think it is incredibly rare. I'm certainly still self destructive, but I am taking some baby steps to try to fix some the massive amounts of damage I've done to my body. It is a struggle. It's honestly even harder than my struggle to die. Choosing life is *hard*. It is harder than the decades of depression and trauma and loss all combined together.
And my mental illnesses are still there- but I no longer have that thought of, "but if it gets *too* bad, if I truly hit my limit, I can ctb." And that is a goddamn fucking struggle- because I know it means I have to find strength elsewhere, and find a way to make it through. I truly don't know if I can- but I am goddamn going to try. For the first time in my life, I am going to give life an honest chance.

And most likely, all of my past self destruction will kill me young anyway, so… best of both worlds? :P

Yes, most all bodies that weren't an expected death are autopsied. An exception to this is if the death was well documented in a hospital, with certain causes. Any variables that might need to be ruled out such as a recent surgery, etc., will still result in an autopsy even in a hospital death.

Coroners know that they should leave enough of the artery for the embalmer, however, often it is a deputy coroner assisting with the autopsy that may have minimal medical knowledge, and sometime they think the correct course of action is to pull up on that artery and snip it, which causes it to retract back into the limbs.

Postmortem stain is from blood settling. It is also called Livor Mortis. The blood will settle to the lowest point of the body, and that point will be dependent on the position of the body. It causes a purplish discoloration. This can easily be overcome via cosmetics, but we try our best to properly fix things prior to cosmetics. No one wants their loved one to look like a painted doll, so the less cosmetics we can use, the better.

Breathing in the fumes is dangerous. Beyond the skin, oral, throat, and lung irritation- exposure to formaldehyde has now been linked to Parkinson's.

An autopsy may remove the trachea to examine it.

The average weight of a brain is multiple pounds, and yes, without that weight, it does make a difference. That head will flop around.

Organs are layered in so that they can be properly treated with paraformaldehyde or hardening compound. If we just dumped them all in and coated the top, we would have things decomposing and rotting in the middle section.

Organ weight doesn't need to be accounted for- just brain weight.

Yes, if the embalmer doesn't securely attach the calvarium, and a loved one kisses them on the forehead- it could dislodge it and make that line visible.

Poor embalming results in discoloration and drying out of tissue. Thin skin turning hard and yellow, etc. Leakage- from orifices or even just through pores if they're edematous (retaining water). Bad smells, etc.

We will pull the face down to slightly below the eyebrows on an autopsy case.

Regarding jumping- if anything detached, it would be gathered and reattached.
Depending on how you landed- for example, head first, head obliterated- if your next of kin wanted a viewing, your head could be recreated if the embalmer is skilled enough. It would require hours or days worth of work, and it would not be cheap. Your head would be a recreation, made out of whatever materials were necessary- chicken wire, putty, clay, plastic, etc.

I do hope I didn't miss a question- please ask again if I did, and feel free to ask for clarification.
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but you say that sometimes cases are emotionally and mentally taxing on you, so why help people who are struggling to ctb? Just curious
Because I believe in the right to die with dignity.

That is more important than how much a case taxes me.

The cost to me isn't relevant.

TheBroken

TheBroken

What Really Matters Anymore?
Feb 13, 2022
Good and very accurate thread - this is from someone who helped work the family's funeral business. Ironic how things are ending for me, but also fortunate that I know what to leave behind for instructions and what I can dictate about treatment and disposal of my remains from beyond the grave - based on the laws of the State where I live. Yeah, going to be an interesting ride. Wish everyone the best for their outcome(s).

steppenwolf

steppenwolf

Student
Oct 25, 2023
Ironic. Business slow is it? Or are you too busy?

bridgegirl

bridgegirl

Oct 16, 2023
I know what it was that sparked that will in me, but it is intensely personal.
No, I don't think it's something anyone could get, I think it is incredibly rare. I'm certainly still self destructive, but I am taking some baby steps to try to fix some the massive amounts of damage I've done to my body. It is a struggle. It's honestly even harder than my struggle to die. Choosing life is *hard*. It is harder than the decades of depression and trauma and loss all combined together.
And my mental illnesses are still there- but I no longer have that thought of, "but if it gets *too* bad, if I truly hit my limit, I can ctb." And that is a goddamn fucking struggle- because I know it means I have to find strength elsewhere, and find a way to make it through. I truly don't know if I can- but I am goddamn going to try. For the first time in my life, I am going to give life an honest chance.

And most likely, all of my past self destruction will kill me young anyway, so… best of both worlds? :P

Yes, most all bodies that weren't an expected death are autopsied. An exception to this is if the death was well documented in a hospital, with certain causes. Any variables that might need to be ruled out such as a recent surgery, etc., will still result in an autopsy even in a hospital death.

Coroners know that they should leave enough of the artery for the embalmer, however, often it is a deputy coroner assisting with the autopsy that may have minimal medical knowledge, and sometime they think the correct course of action is to pull up on that artery and snip it, which causes it to retract back into the limbs.

Postmortem stain is from blood settling. It is also called Livor Mortis. The blood will settle to the lowest point of the body, and that point will be dependent on the position of the body. It causes a purplish discoloration. This can easily be overcome via cosmetics, but we try our best to properly fix things prior to cosmetics. No one wants their loved one to look like a painted doll, so the less cosmetics we can use, the better.

Breathing in the fumes is dangerous. Beyond the skin, oral, throat, and lung irritation- exposure to formaldehyde has now been linked to Parkinson's.

An autopsy may remove the trachea to examine it.

The average weight of a brain is multiple pounds, and yes, without that weight, it does make a difference. That head will flop around.

Organs are layered in so that they can be properly treated with paraformaldehyde or hardening compound. If we just dumped them all in and coated the top, we would have things decomposing and rotting in the middle section.

Organ weight doesn't need to be accounted for- just brain weight.

Yes, if the embalmer doesn't securely attach the calvarium, and a loved one kisses them on the forehead- it could dislodge it and make that line visible.

Poor embalming results in discoloration and drying out of tissue. Thin skin turning hard and yellow, etc. Leakage- from orifices or even just through pores if they're edematous (retaining water). Bad smells, etc.

We will pull the face down to slightly below the eyebrows on an autopsy case.

Regarding jumping- if anything detached, it would be gathered and reattached.
Depending on how you landed- for example, head first, head obliterated- if your next of kin wanted a viewing, your head could be recreated if the embalmer is skilled enough. It would require hours or days worth of work, and it would not be cheap. Your head would be a recreation, made out of whatever materials were necessary- chicken wire, putty, clay, plastic, etc.

I do hope I didn't miss a question- please ask again if I did, and feel free to ask for clarification.

Because I believe in the right to die with dignity.

That is more important than how much a case taxes me.

The cost to me isn't relevant.
Just wanted to say thank you for answering my morbid questions! I never thought I'd end up with a chicken wire and putty head one day, so that's new I guess. Between the jump and the autopsy and the embalming and the restoration, it's a lot of work for some poor soul.

Also, I'm glad you found that special thing that's kept you going. Hopefully you overcome your self-destructive urges as well, if that's what you want. But choosing life certainly is hard; I've seen that recently myself.

Rocket

Rocket

Oct 12, 2022
I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to highlight this topic, and hope our moderator friends will consider adding it to Sticky Threads. This topic consistently exudes compassion, intrigue, and unexpectedly, therapeutic qualities. Mehdone, your empathy and professionalism continue to radiate.

You've consistently expressed your respect for the departed at every turn, from preserving their modesty to upholding their dignity. This is deeply meaningful. Despite your humility, we frequently hear about instances of disrespect, so hearing from a practicing professional who exhibits such reverence and kindness is genuinely healing.

Are coroners informed beforehand if the deceased will be cremated? Would this information affect the way they prepare the body? If there's no embalming, does it alter their preparations?

Reading about the embalming process evoked vivid recollections of my Grandma's viewing. She had the serene smile you described, she looked beautiful, and it was incredibly meaningful to our family. Until I read your explanation, I hadn't considered the extensive work that happens "under the hood".

I'm also really pleased to learn that this forum has positively influenced you. This topic exemplifies the power of knowledge - demystifying some aspects makes it significantly less daunting. Thank you once again for your substantial contribution. :heart:

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
This is thread was oddly soothing to read. I don't really have questions but i do hope others continue to ask...i kind of don't want it to end.Thank you very much for all the detailed explanations. Your answers reflect how much of an amazing human being you are, much respect ❤️

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to highlight this topic, and hope our moderator friends will consider adding it to Sticky Threads. This topic consistently exudes compassion, intrigue, and unexpectedly, therapeutic qualities. Mehdone, your empathy and professionalism continue to radiate.

You've consistently expressed your respect for the departed at every turn, from preserving their modesty to upholding their dignity. This is deeply meaningful. Despite your humility, we frequently hear about instances of disrespect, so hearing from a practicing professional who exhibits such reverence and kindness is genuinely healing.

Are coroners informed beforehand if the deceased will be cremated? Would this information affect the way they prepare the body? If there's no embalming, does it alter their preparations?

Reading about the embalming process evoked vivid recollections of my Grandma's viewing. She had the serene smile you described, she looked beautiful, and it was incredibly meaningful to our family. Until I read your explanation, I hadn't considered the extensive work that happens "under the hood".

I'm also really pleased to learn that this forum has positively influenced you. This topic exemplifies the power of knowledge - demystifying some aspects makes it significantly less daunting. Thank you once again for your substantial contribution. :heart:
Thank you, sincerely.

I am glad that the embalmer who prepared your grandmother knew what they were doing, and allowed you to properly see her at peace. Not all of us have the skill to do so, unfortunately. I do, but I have seen others do a poor job- and fixed their mess, and taught them how to do things right.

No, the coroner does not know what arrangements the family has made or will make, and it does not alter the autopsy. It only alters things on my end, once the coroner is done.

I can't even begin to express how much this forum has had a positive influence on me. I found something here that I never expected to experience, and I am incredibly grateful for it. It literally saved my life.
This is thread was oddly soothing to read. I don't really have questions but i do hope others continue to ask...i kind of don't want it to end.Thank you very much for all the detailed explanations. Your answers reflect how much of an amazing human being you are, much respect ❤️
I'm glad that it brought you some comfort. I'm still not sure why I started this thread, but I am glad that I did.

Last edited:
L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
I'm apparently going to be around for a while- not what I had planned, but, plans and desires and wants change.

So, keep the questions coming.
Sorry your plans have gone awry.

More of a personal than professional question.What is your opinion on mental health treatment?

Last edited: