• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Are all reasons valid and good for suicide?

• Yes, there are no bad reasons for suicide

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • No, suicide should only be committed under certain circumstances

Votes: 46 51.1%
  • All reasons for suicide are bad

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
S

saunabliss

Jan 14, 2024
I've always been curious to see the communities' opinion about this topic.

Personally, I always felt that assisted suicide should be a human right, but not so readily available like a Futurama suicide booth. I empathize with people's wish to CTB but I won't agree with some of the reasons.

For example, I won't ever support an 8-year old wanting to CTB due to bullying. I'm not going to say, "I wish you find peace," if a guy wants to jump off a building because he watched Itachi died in Naruto (this actually happened). I would be like, I love Itachi, he's awesome, but he's not real dude.

It's completely understandable if one wants to CTB due to incurable physical pain or decades of emotional pain and trauma (in my case).

In your opinion, what are good or bad reasons to CTB?

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
I think that it depends. I don't think that you should commit suicide over a breakup or something, but if you're in severe physical pain, mental/emotional pain that can't be resolved or have a condition without a cure, medication or treatment, and feel like your life is not worth living, then you should ctb if you want to.

Last edited:
Coconteppi

Coconteppi

It was a cool lil place. Just missing something :)
Mar 14, 2024
No way to know. Death is a one time deal. Everyone has their own views/beliefs/thresholds/emotions/etc. I don't know how someone else actually feels compared to me because I'm not them. I don't know how their mind interprets/experiences things compared to mine. Because of this I think that there is no way to say whether or not someone's choice to CTB is valid or not. Like everyone else, I can only validate my own feelings. :)

A crazy way I like to think of this is say something like "Adventure Time" (The tv show in my profile). For all I know any other living creature could experience the world exactly as though they were in adventure time. Relative to this discussion I'll confine "living creature" to "people/person".
Similar to how you'll never know if the red you see is the same red other people see. Now take this example to it's extreme.
We are all just a bunch of atoms that bunched together and is "technically" made only to reproduce effectively. There are no rules how one must experience pain/pleasure/color/sound/etc. Nature only cares that they can reproduce. In our case this means being able to do everything a human can do. This however does not require everyone to percieve things the same.
So just as anothers perception of blue might be the same as my perception of green. (With my perception of green being different or nonexistent to them.) We just grew up both calling what they see as the color blue "blue".
So for all I know someone else is percieving the whole world as though it were adventure Time because it is how their brains function to percieve reality for biological goals. They would still be just as "normal" as anyone else. As their brains interpretations of different signals would still result in the same biological actions as it would for me. It would just be percieved in a different way from my brain.
But because I can never truly know how someone else experiences anything in life. I can never say what is truly "good/bad" for them. And the closest I can come to understanding is by using language. Which is just an extremely simplified way of conveying experience/perception)

I feel like this was a bit out there and I probably sound like a wacko.

tl;dr; Perception is pretty stinking wild. :)

Last edited:
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
I guess "suicide is bad" partly, or largely, comes from the difficulty to find a replacement. If someone is irrelevant, has no friends, no relatives, then no-one really cares if he lives or dies. But there is no specific laws catered for those people. Maybe assisted suicide can have an arrangement like marriage that all applications are listed on a notice board. If no-one objects after 30 days, the application is approved.

Namarupa

Namarupa

Student
Jan 24, 2024
I'd advise against suicide when one's problems are easily fixable. So, yeah, I do find it kind of stupid when people throw themselves over their balconies because their football team lost or something like that.

Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
I don't know how their mind interprets/experiences things compared to mine. Because of this I think that there is no way to say whether or not someone's choice to CTB is valid or not.
100%! People with fibromyalgia can feel intense physical pain all over their bodies but this pain and its causes don't show up on any medical diagnostic tests so a lot of doctors are skeptical if fibromyalgia is even real. Whether or not it is "real" in a way that passes medical scrutiny should be irrelevant though, the pain still feels very real to the sufferers. I don't believe anyone has the right or the ability to judge the quality and quantity of another person's experienced pain. I believe there are no bad reasons for suicide.

Coconteppi

Coconteppi

It was a cool lil place. Just missing something :)
Mar 14, 2024
Logically, because death is to be assummed infinite. A lifetime of any length that isn't infinite/immortal. Would logically end when the individual has reached contentment/satisfaction/fulfillment, or has reach a point where these "checkboxes" are no longer (by any means wish/luck/effort) reachable.
(E.g. if winning the lottery would give one a reason to live they should "logically" continue/start trying to win. Since death is infinite and they will have all the time to experience it later. Why give up something that could bring meaning to something one is only guaranteed to experience once, with no guarantee of what follows? There is no guarantee that after dying, they won't feel like there's less to death than there was to life.)

Things like winning the lottery, societal change, people being nicer, are examples of things that are still "technically reachable". And could therefore be "logically" pursued due to the sureness and infinite nature of death.

Since death is technically an unknown aswell. It's equally likely to be something better, something worse, something the same, something non-comparable, or nothing at all. So imo, someone should understand this blind gamble before actively choosing to quit something that possibilities are far better understood and actively being experienced. For something so unknown.

Immortality is another tool that I like to use when considering the prospect of death.

When will I choose death if I am immortal?

Will I choose to die when at my lowest or highest if I'm immortal? (Will it matter to me when I choose death?)

What do I consider to be the things worth living for if I'm going to live forever?

Hope this makes sense lol! :P

drugfiend

drugfiend

drinking plastic jug vodka
Mar 19, 2024
Adding to this thread, I think anyone has the right to do whatever they want to their own body. I agree with you that it's sad when children kill themselves because they didn't really give life a fair shot. At what age, under what circumstances, should it be okay to end your life? Honestly, I have no right to tell anyone, "no, stop!" but I'm sure I could think up examples where I think, from my point of view, that suicide was the unwarranted response in any given situation.

In short, I have no fucking clue.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
There are absolutely many dumb reasons out there that might make one want to commit suicide but most people don't really act on them. Even supposedly "good" reasons could be wrong if they were done under false pretenses like for example if a man shoots himself because he saw his wife out with another man but that other man was actually her cousin and also gay. Or maybe if you lose all your savings to identity fraud and decide to kill yourself over that but it turns out you did that before finding out it's actually pretty easy for banks to resolve something like this and give you all your money back.

I once wanted to commit suicide just because I missed a bus. I only had to wait ten minutes for the next one but in that moment I felt so shitty about myself for being late that it didn't matter to me. It's a stupid reason I know. Many people might also think my current reasons are equally stupid but I don't think so.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
Adding to this thread, I think anyone has the right to do whatever they want to their own body. I agree with you that it's sad when children kill themselves because they didn't really give life a fair shot. At what age, under what circumstances, should it be okay to end your life? Honestly, I have no right to tell anyone, "no, stop!" but I'm sure I could think up examples where I think, from my point of view, that suicide was the unwarranted response in any given situation.

In short, I have no fucking clue.
I think that it should be okay to end your life once you become an adult

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I believe that any and all reasons are valid. The only case in where a reason can't be valid is if we consented to being born which none of us did. Because we didn't consent to being born, I believe we deserve a peaceful way out of here of we want it

wisp

wisp

Oct 19, 2023
Even committing suicide because you don't have an iPhone can be a good reason to do so, everyone has their own reasons and it is not right to discredit and criticize those of others. Otherwise a downward game is created, where everyone believes they are worse off than the other and when someone commits suicide then "that person is selfish".
I intend to take CTB because I have no future, I have made mistakes in my life that I will carry with me until I die, I don't work, I don't have a girlfriend, I have no friends, I have nothing to live for

Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I think if it's something minor taken out of proportions due to extreme emotions which lead to an impulsive attempt, it's understandable but one should try not to do it based on impulse. Instead, if you try to resolve what every you're going through but are unable to you should analyze life and see the pros and cons of continuing vs dying. If it seems like death is the better option then do it.

I believe that any and all reasons are valid. The only case in where a reason can't be valid is if we consented to being born which none of us did. Because we didn't consent to being born, I believe we deserve a peaceful way out of here of we want it
You can't really consent to being born, but what if someone consented to being born and enjoyed life, but got a life-changing illness which now makes living too painful to live through and they desire to die? Just a thought I had which in my eyes their desire for death should be valid even if they somehow magically consented to living.

S

saunabliss

Jan 14, 2024
I once wanted to commit suicide just because I missed a bus. I only had to wait ten minutes for the next one but in that moment I felt so shitty about myself for being late that it didn't matter to me. It's a stupid reason I know. Many people might also think my current reasons are equally stupid but I don't think so.
I don't think any reasons for suicide are stupid. I think some reasons doesn't justify the means but that doesn't invalidate your feelings and your experiences.

Maybe that guy watching Naruto had deeper underlying reasons for his suicide and watching his favorite character dying was a trigger. Some people here mentioned cheating and watching your football team losing as poor reasons which I agree, but those reasons are probably not that simple.

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I don't think any reasons for suicide are stupid. I think some reasons doesn't justify the means but that doesn't invalidate your feelings and your experiences.

Maybe that guy watching Naruto had deeper underlying reasons for his suicide and watching his favorite character dying was a trigger. Some people here mentioned cheating and watching your football team losing as poor reasons which I agree, but those reasons are probably not that simple.
Maybe stupid isn't the right word. The feelings could be valid but I still think the situation could be seen as stupid if say someone killed themself because they were poor but they didn't realize they had a winning lottery ticket for a billion dollars in their possession. That doesn't make them stupid, it just makes reality stupid I guess.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
I will never understand what is supposedly so beneficial and valuable about the futile, meaningless abomination that is existence to justify voluntary death needing a reason in the first place. It makes little sense to me and it shows the arrogance of the human species when they believe it's their place to dictate who should be forced to delay their inevitable fate or not.

To me suicide gatekeeping is repulsive and cruel, also it's absurd to insist that voluntary death needs a reason especially when death will happen anyway whether there is a reason behind it or not. Honestly I don't understand why anyone would wish for something so undesirable as existence in the first place, to me suicide will always feel rational especially as nobody can suffer from non-existence which is all we are destined for anyway yet there is no limit as to how much one can be tormented as long as they exist, existence is filled with endless potential for cruelty, harm and the risk is always there of suffering much more at any moment.

Suicide is simply the way for one to take control over their inevitable fate, why should anyone have to delay their inevitable fate for a second longer than they wish to, it's not other people's existence but the individuals after all and anyway none of us consented to any of this in the first place, instead existence was so harmfully imposed.

S

saunabliss

Jan 14, 2024
Maybe stupid isn't the right word. The feelings could be valid but I still think the situation could be seen as stupid if say someone killed themself because they were poor but they didn't realize they had a winning lottery ticket for a billion dollars in their possession. That doesn't make them stupid, it just makes reality stupid I guess.
Agreed. Imagine killing yourself over a misunderstanding or ignorance of a solution to your problems, like the lottery ticket. Shitty way to go.

untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
I'm mentally and physically irreparable. my mental illnesses have taken everything from me and put me in constant emotional pain. I haven't asked for fucking MUCH in comparison to the bullshit I've endured. I don't give a hell what people think about me or my situation, I'm to reclaim my life and know peace again.

Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
lol. You know what's darkly hilarious. You quoted the suicide booths.

The episode where Hermes is going to jump and kill himself and they all say "no don't do it"

Bender: "Do a flip"

druggedonsurvival

druggedonsurvival

Student
Feb 8, 2024
There is no "wrong" reason to ctb but it should never be done on impulse. As long as the decision has been made after serious contemplation then it is legitimate. What counts as "serious contemplation" may vary depending on who you ask, though.

Z-A

Z-A

Let me go
Mar 3, 2024
I believe it's up to every individual to decide because we can't judge anyone based on our own beliefs and opinions. While sometimes I might disagree with someone's decision, I have no right to tell them that they have invalid reasons for their decisions. In this case I believe that only 100% pro-choice is the right answer. Narcissism cannot play any part in this topic.

Reactions: sserafim
S

saunabliss

Jan 14, 2024
lol. You know what's darkly hilarious. You quoted the suicide booths.

The episode where Hermes is going to jump and kill himself and they all say "no don't do it"

Bender: "Do a flip"
LOL. When Bender tried to cheat the booth of 25 cent even when he tried to die. Classic.

• Yay!
Reactions: Throwawayacc3
Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
LOL. When Bender tried to cheat the booth of 25 cent even when he tried to die. Classic.
"My god, what is this ugly thing. A frog? A toad? YO MOMMA. Hahahaha"

Ok I better stop otherwise I'll destroy your thread with bender quotes lol.

• Yay!
Reactions: saunabliss