Ruffian

Ruffian

Jumpin Jack Flash, it’s a gas gas gas
Jan 16, 2019
When I was in a psychiatric hospital, the staff didn't listen to me. During my breakdown I became more aware of evil spirits. I was just treated like I was deluded.

I'm on anti-psychotic medication now but this doesn't get rid of the demons, it just makes me less able to perceive them.

I was locked up for a month. I just wanted them to listen. I needed to get out to look after my animals. They don't have to believe in the supernatural but they could at least have an open mind. Maybe I am deluded but I don't think I am.
I have had this same issue being bipolar. I am not asking anyone to convert to anything. But I can't get anyone to even consider that my experiences may possibly even have a mystical side.

Reactions: Circles, Vivian and No_more
B

Battered_Seoul

Experienced
Jun 13, 2018
Turned into an addled zombie by a combination of psychotropic drugs and anti depressants.

Explore the glutamate dysfunction theory of depression. Essentially, aberrant glutamate signalling in response to stress and inflammation leads to maladaptive changes in brain structure, synaptic plasticity and cognitive/emotional processing.

I still want to die but I eased my daily agony with an anti-glutamate regime of amino acids~atypical anti depressants.

What fucks me off is that psychiatrists/doctors really should be aware of changes in the neurobiological consensus regarding the pathophysiology of mood disorders. Are they just lazy, ill informed or really don't give a shit?

Reactions: Circles, Vivian, Cevapcici and 3 others
A

Allpainnogain

Experienced
May 2, 2019
YES!!! Same as you OP it's why I'm here. Psychiatric drugs fucked me. High dosage antidepressant destroyed my personality. Then antipsychotic Abilify destroyed and crushed whatever was left. Like you I'm a shell of myself. No emotion, no desires, no libido, no love for things, ruined my sleep. I lost my purpose. My brain is now a wreck.
I feel exactly the same way

• Aww..
Reactions: Circles and Pentobartbital
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
This happened to me too. As a teen I was given a high dose anti depressant Zoloft I was brainwashed into taking it for years until came off if it. That part was hell alone but I have never fully recovered. Years later as an adult my cognitive abilities are severely deminished and I feel almost stupid for lack of a better term. Honestly I used to be a very intelligent person who had a bright future but now my brain is essentially fried. I have the worst short term working memory, I and forgetful, I loose track of thought in conversation, I seen to just stutter and have nothing to say, and can't focus. I have lost my personality and I'm just a walking corpse because my sleep is completely messed up.

why are these things handed out like candy!? It's just either ignorant or corrupt psychiatrist who just want to push these meds to get more money. Medication should never be used as a first solution imo...too many potential damaging effects even years after stopping it.

Benzos have greatly fucked me up as an adult because the idiot psychiatrist kept me on the way longer than needed and I became addicted. Withdrawal was sheer hell. I have somewhat gotten thru that but I'm not myself still. I still feel bad even months later....and I'm kinda back on them because I need the feeling. Psychiatry is just one of many things that has ruined me and robbed me of life.

Anyone else have an very negative experiences with Zoloft (sertraline) still lingering years after quitting? I quit cold turkey idk if that played a part of ruining my brain?

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
Reactions: Circles, NoOneKnows, Vivian and 6 others
200_ponies

200_ponies

Apr 8, 2019
Yep. I have lasting symptoms from taking Wellbutrin and Zoloft. Luckily I realized that I don't want to be a slave to those medications so I got off them after about six months. My psychiatrist actually meant well, but he just didn't seem to understand how easily these drugs can fuck people up.

Reactions: Circles, Going Home, Vivian and 3 others
Ruffian

Ruffian

Jan 16, 2019
I really hate SSRIs. The only thing I hate more is my psychiatrist. I had such a good one for years, but that's over. I prefer tricyclic antidepressants, but he won't prescribe them because I asked for them. Seems like the best way with these guys to not get something is to ask for something. Yet handing out antipsychotics is something he has no problem with. I read somewhere that Freud believed all doctors have a sadistic streak. He meant surgeons at the time. He must be rolling in his grave at the state of psychiatry. Yes, he's infamous for a lot of his theories. If you read some of his writings he did really try to understand his clients. I can't imagine what he would think of the shady shit like lobotomies and ECT. I feel like mental illness and age are the last acceptable prejudices.

Reactions: Egddios, Circles, Vivian and 4 others
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
This happened to me too. As a teen I was given a high dose anti depressant Zoloft I was brainwashed into taking it for years until came off if it. That part was hell alone but I have never fully recovered. Years later as an adult my cognitive abilities are severely deminished and I feel almost stupid for lack of a better term. Honestly I used to be a very intelligent person who had a bright future but now my brain is essentially fried. I have the worst short term working memory, I and forgetful, I loose track of thought in conversation, I seen to just stutter and have nothing to say, and can't focus. I have lost my personality and I'm just a walking corpse because my sleep is completely messed up.

why are these things handed out like candy!? It's just either ignorant or corrupt psychiatrist who just want to push these meds to get more money. Medication should never be used as a first solution imo...too many potential damaging effects even years after stopping it.

Benzos have greatly fucked me up as an adult because the idiot psychiatrist kept me on the way longer than needed and I became addicted. Withdrawal was sheer hell. I have somewhat gotten thru that but I'm not myself still. I still feel bad even months later....
and I'm kinda back on them because I need the feeling. Psychiatry is just one of many things that has ruined me and robbed me of life.

Anyone else have an very negative experiences with Zoloft (sertraline) still lingering years after quitting? I quit cold turkey idk if that played a part of ruining my brain?
I can relate to all of this, but for me it was Effexor, even though I was tapered off it slowly.

• Aww..
Reactions: Vivian, Pentobartbital, Susannah and 1 other person
Jenna

Jenna

Experienced
Nov 21, 2018

Benzos have greatly fucked me up as an adult because the idiot psychiatrist kept me on the way longer than needed and I became addicted. Withdrawal was sheer hell. I have somewhat gotten thru that but I'm not myself still. I still feel bad even months later....and I'm kinda back on them because I need the feeling. Psychiatry is just one of many things that has ruined me and robbed me of life.

My story too. It's unfathomable.

• Aww..
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Circles, Vivian and 2 others
D

deafsilence

Oct 22, 2018
There's been studies on the internet somewhere where they've even proven that it's mostly placebo. I've been on several drugs and only those which are addictive worked for me. Of course I built up tolerance quickly, so they became useless in the end. Oh, and they don't want to prescribe them because they're addictive, so thanks for the help. Fuck it, I'm a human wreck, walking dead, who has been to several psychiatrist and have taken many drugs. They've worked fuck all. I'm only here to be an economy slave, a cheap labourer and I know it. Nobody really wants to help me, they're just doing their shitty jobs (psychiatrists).

Reactions: HGL91, Nem, Circles and 2 others
D

dyingtodie

Student
Nov 29, 2018
Fuck Psychiatry! I was drugged with anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and a mood stabilizer when I was a severely depressed 15 year old just needing some 7 grams of magic mushrooms. When I severely injured my arm through self-injury they put me in a pysch ward for 8 days and dosed me with Lithium which i was on for a couple years. Suffered major suicidal feelings almost leading to attempts the couple times I forgot to take them for a couple days. I feel like I could have been permanently fucked by them. But, due to Psychedelics and a Yoga practice I regained my Self and the capacity to feel far beyond what I thought capable. That increased sensitization has made living on Earth a miserable and hellish experience which I desperately wish to escape from. But my beloved cats 3 newborn kittens that I'm co-mothering are keeping me feeling stuck. Microdosing of mushrooms would probably be effective with little to no side effects for the vast majority of mental health patients. My 1st major mushroom trip reminded me of the drugged and groggy feeling that I had suffered throughout years of highschool as the medicine was coming on. It's as though the psych meds just kept me in this confused pre-psychedelic state...drugged to my detriment with no clarity. Of course, the grogginess only lasted a few minutes at the onset before I was catapulted into the clearest and most divine state of consciousness I'd ever known.

• Wow
Reactions: Circles, NoOneKnows, Vivian and 1 other person
N

Nifi

Mar 7, 2019
Yes, i suffer from PSSD and other health problems. It sucks, i was just a confused 18 year old in my first year of uni. I went to a psychologist, she said i wouldn't get 'there' without an antidepressant so i was put on sertraline, well... i'm not feeling depressed anymore because i'm literally not capable anymore to feel 'deeper' emotions. I'm not able to go to school anymore due cognition problems and chronic pelvic pain. It sucks, i REALLY want to live, but i just don't want to live like this 'antidepressant monster'.

• Aww..
Reactions: mellow, The-end-is-here, Wayfaerer and 3 others
H

HelpPlease

Psych ward
Sep 9, 2018
Brain fried and in a shitload of pain. Nonstop pain. Yes psych did it and I'm gonna die

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Circles, Vivian, Pentobartbital and 1 other person
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
The psychiatry is the main reason, why i am here. They also ruined my mental health. It was in 2008 and now ten years later, i still have anxiety problems due the psychiatry. Before the psych hospital i didn't had anxiety problems.

I hate this people so much, the police and all, who was involved in this story.
Lots of love. I know how you feel.
I can relate to all of this, but for me it was Effexor, even though I was tapered off it slowly.
Effexor fucked me too. I was told they were mild SSRIs.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Circles, Vivian and 2 others
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
Lots of love. I know how you feel.

Effexor fucked me too. I was told they were mild SSRIs.
I'm sorry. The withdrawal was the worse thing I've ever had to go through. I don't think there are any mild psychotropic drugs, after all they completely alter your brain chemistry (sometimes irreversibly). Too many times psychiatrists try to downplay the effects of these drugs or don't even tell you about the side effects. They used to deny it was even possible experiencing withdrawal getting off them, only now are they starting to admit it since so many people are having to go to rehabs just to get off them.

• Aww..
Reactions: NoOneKnows, Vivian, Susannah and 3 others
A

AutumnEmbers

May 2, 2019
I'm sorry. The withdrawal was the worse thing I've ever had to go through. I don't think there are any mild psychotropic drugs, after all they completely alter your brain chemistry (sometimes irreversibly). Too many times psychiatrists try to downplay the effects of these drugs or don't even tell you about the side effects. They used to deny it was even possible experiencing withdrawal getting off them, only now are they starting to admit it since so many people are having to go to rehabs just to get off them.

I still can't get off citalopram (Celexa). I'm down to 10mg from 30mg (having tapered extremely slowly and with much difficulty) but every time I try to go lower than that the withdrawal is unbearable. I've been on it for so many years my brain chemistry may well be permanently altered.

Also had one dumbass doctor try to tell me that my inability to come off it was more likely to be an 'emotional dependence' than a physical one. Even though the pharmaceutical companies have started to admit how severe and long lasting the withdrawal symptoms can be, many doctors still seem to be completely ignorant about it.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Circles, Vivian and Ruffian
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
I still can't get off citalopram (Celexa). I'm down to 10mg from 30mg (having tapered extremely slowly and with much difficulty) but every time I try to go lower than that the withdrawal is unbearable. I've been on it for so many years my brain chemistry may well be permanently altered.

Also had one dumbass doctor try to tell me that my inability to come off it was more likely to be an 'emotional dependence' than a physical one. Even though the pharmaceutical companies have started to admit how severe and long lasting the withdrawal symptoms can be, many doctors still seem to be completely ignorant about it.
I'm sorry for what you're going through. I've been on Celexa before, although I didn't find it as difficult as Effexor. I had the same problem. When I was on Effexor I was able to taper down to 37.5mg (the lowest dose) and then I would get unbearable withdrawal even though I started at 225mg. You might want to try natural alternatives to help ease yourself off it completely and let your brain heal. You could try things like St. John's Wort, 5-HTP or GABA. You could also try taking a B-Complex vitamin or Magnesium. A lot of people have said that taking Omega 3-6 Fish Oil has helped them too. It's also important to stay hydrated, drinking a lot of water, exercising and getting plenty of rest. These are only some suggestions, though. It sounds like you don't have a doctor that would be open to trying more natural remedies. I've gone through the same, having doctors telling me that my symptoms are all in my head, so I understand your frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vivian and AutumnEmbers
Kta1994

Kta1994

Experienced
Apr 25, 2019
I was prescribed sertraline today and started taking it should i stop?

JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
I was prescribed sertraline today and started taking it should i stop?
This is something only you can decide, but you could try and give it more time. You might not experience any bad side effects. There are people who claim that anti-depressants have helped them. I would only consider it a last resort, though. You should do your research on it and weigh the pros and cons. In the end it's your call.

Reactions: Vivian, AutumnEmbers, esclava and 1 other person
A

AutumnEmbers

May 2, 2019
I'm sorry for what you're going through. I've been on Celexa before, although I didn't find it as difficult as Effexor. I had the same problem. When I was on Effexor I was able to taper down to 37.5mg (the lowest dose) and then I would get unbearable withdrawal even though I started at 225mg. You might want to try natural alternatives to help ease yourself off it completely and let your brain heal. You could try things like St. John's Wort, 5-HTP or GABA. You could also try taking a B-Complex vitamin or Magnesium. A lot of people have said that taking Omega 3-6 Fish Oil has helped them too. It's also important to stay hydrated, drinking a lot of water, exercising and getting plenty of rest. These are only some suggestions, though. It sounds like you don't have a doctor that would be open to trying more natural remedies. I've gone through the same, having doctors telling me that my symptoms are all in my head, so I understand your frustration.
Thanks so much for all your advice and support, I really do appreciate it. :)

Reactions: Circles
D

deathbytaters

Apr 13, 2019
Haven't had as bad of experiences as some of you, but psych meds have definitely fucked me up and I honestly still haven't gotten a diagnosis (but I also gave up trying to tell them how I was feeling, which is hard to do anyways because I'm so used to feeling how I do that I don't know what is "abnormal.")

Been messed up since I was 11. My first bad feelings were random and crushing feelings of being unloved and feeling hated. That's also when my brother was born (my parents always made it clear they wanted a boy and we're disappointed I was a girl) and I ceased to exist.

Self harmed a bit in highschool, got into heavy metal, wearing all black, basically was a walking cry for help and they just put me on Prozac. It gave me restless legs so bad I cried at night and I forgot what hunger felt like and would forget to eat most days.

At 22 they switched me to Sertraline and it literally made me a zombie and I quit cold turkey and became a totally different person. I'm 23 now, the love of my life gave up on me, I had a mental breakdown and threatened with a psych hold so went back to pretending I'm fine and I'm at the point where I'm ready to go now. Suicide runs in the family. My moms dad and brother killed themselves. I'll be joining them soon enough.

Reactions: Circles, Chalken, Ampsvx123 and 2 others
PTSDream

PTSDream

May 10, 2019
My psychiatrist has a psychiatrist so there it is there. SMH

• Wow
  • Yay!
Reactions: Circles, Going Home, NoOneKnows and 2 others
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
Thanks so much for all your advice and support, I really do appreciate it. :)
You're welcome. :)

I know what you're going through, so I sympathize. I only wish I had known about these alternatives years ago. Hopefully you find something that will help you. I've read about people who stayed on their anti-depressants for years, even though they weren't helping anymore because the withdrawal was so bad that they couldn't discontinue it.

Vivian

Vivian

Mar 6, 2019
When I was in a psychiatric hospital, the staff didn't listen to me. During my breakdown I became more aware of evil spirits. I was just treated like I was deluded.

I'm on anti-psychotic medication now but this doesn't get rid of the demons, it just makes me less able to perceive them.

I was locked up for a month. I just wanted them to listen. I needed to get out to look after my animals. They don't have to believe in the supernatural but they could at least have an open mind. Maybe I am deluded but I don't think I am.

Their evaluation of you is based on their own subjective perspective. Its not based on anything scientific. And, not to mention, I doubt the staff at psychiatric hospitals has any speck of imagination or understanding of different forms of spirituality. The staff is quick to dismiss what you say based on their subjective view of your behavior.

I am a psychology student. I have done countless research and I have read answers on here. The more I read about the psychology field, the more I feel like its hurting people. There needs to be more research before any psychiatrist can prescribe you all medication. There needs to be scientific studies to actually prove someone has a mental illness. And, most importantly, there needs to be a thorough education about religion and spirituality before anyone dares work in a psychiatric hospital.

• Love
Reactions: Wixer, Circles and PTSDream
Ruffian

Ruffian

Jan 16, 2019
If I saw a dr on the side of the road bleeding to death...I'd keep on drivin
Peace
I'd run him over it was mine, then back up over him to make sure he was dead.

Reactions: Circles, Going Home and Nem
Going Home

Going Home

Specialist
Sep 21, 2018

Yes psychiatry ruins people. It's the worst when they experiment and not inform you.

It's all about the money they get from pushing drugs. They expect you to figure out how to fix yourself after they've screwed you over..

Reactions: Nem, Circles, Vivian and 1 other person
J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
My psychiatrist has a psychiatrist so there it is there. SMH

My ex-wife went to see a psychiatrist once. When she came back she told me the psych had fallen asleep during her story

I was torn two ways with this. First, well, now he'll understand what I've had to put up with for years. Second, disgracefully unprofessional.

Reactions: Circles and Vivian
HGL91

HGL91

Warlock
Jul 2, 2019
i have been medicated from a very young age. can no longer afford my medications, which i can no longer function without. same thing happened last year, wound up ruining my life. my brain chemistry is fucked without them. i'd rather end it before it gets that bad again.

Same! I'm 27 and lost my health insurance when I was 26. I'm good as dead now if I can't get my meds! Brain zaps and seizures; no thank you!

• Aww..
Reactions: Partial-Elf
I’vehadenough

I’vehadenough

Elementalist
Sep 15, 2018
Yes, they gave me a drug that caused my face to waste away in only 2 weeks, now I look so ugly and deformed that people only talk to me out of pity. If it weren't for those assholes, I wouldn't have to kill myself

• Aww..
Partial-Elf

Partial-Elf

Eternal Oblivion
Dec 26, 2018
These stories are heartbreaking. Every time I talk to my therapist he encourages me to get on medication and I tell him again and again that I'm not comfortable doing that and just need him to listen. Literally at the end of every session this happens...

I decided I'm going to write up a statement for him on the topic. Something like:

"I don't need you to recommend I get on medication: I'm well aware of it as an option and will get on it if and when I feel I've done adequate research and will receive adequate support.

As it currently stands, I don't know enough about the medications you're recommending to make an informed decision and I don't feel that my primary care provider is capable of providing the individualized attention necessary for me to feel comfortable experimenting with these drugs. I'm also aware that there is much that's still unknown about these drugs, including the effects of taking them long term, and that they commonly cause side effects such as reduced sexual functioning and weight gain–two things which would certainly diminish the quality of my life. I'm not convinced that my doctor would have a focused plan for using the medication, rather I think he would continue prescribing it indefinitely. I'm also someone who would constantly be second guessing: is this what I actually think and feel or is it a change brought on by the medication?

For these reasons, I ask you to quit recommending medication as a solution during therapy sessions."

Rukia

Rukia

Enlightened
Jun 3, 2019
I must admit anti-psychotics meds saved me, although there was a huge weight gain...:( but for now they dont have anything better I suppose....Dont want to describe how macabre it was without them, but believe me... :meh: