• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
You're right. Even most abusive parents would probably say that they are, in some way or another, good people. It's called cognitive dissonance. Most parents simply don't want to realize that they're bad parents - and I know that first hand from my own parents, they were absolutely horrible. And there are so many signs that these young people that died, which made it into the news, didn't have such a romantic relationship to their parents as their parents claim to have had. For example, Joe said in this forum that he received "no family love", which is one of the reasons why he was ready to leave, according to his own words. This completely contradicts the story of his mother. Jackie knew about the struggles of her daughter for many years, Shawn even said on several occassions, according to the articles I've read that she doesn't want to live - repeatedly. That's a clear expression for suicide ideation but it doesn't seem that these remarks were taken seriously. If they were, I'm sure the parents would have been more careful with Shawns internet activity and what she received via mail. Furthermore, I also found a Youtube account of Jr, Kellys son, with a playlist that contains videos about abusive, narcissistic parents - oddly specific for someone who committed suicide. All of these signs hint to very difficult parent-children relationships behind closed doors. And maybe that's where we should put our focus on, parenting - not on a forum dedicated to struggles of autonomous, consenting adults. And it would make sense - happy people don't kill themselves. These young people were obviously struggling, probably felt alone in their suffering, didn't receive the support they needed and as a result, committed suicide. SS played no role in these development because ALL of them registered in the forum when they were already very confident about their intention to leave. They were sincerely suicidal. The decision was already made before the registered and most of these young people weren't active for a very long time in this forum. Joe and Shawn only wrote a few posts in this forum and immediately left. They didn't waste any time. So, considering all these factors, it's insane that these parents blame us. They were supposed to do the parenting. They were around their children 24/7. They should have picked up on these signs. Yet they blame us, they shift their responsibility which they had as parents, to this community which is outright offensive to me. These people aren't self-aware at all, they're in complete denial about the reality. They sincerely believe they aren't responsible for this outcome, yet somehow we are - more than them? Strangers on the internet, that's wild. So yeah, terrible parents have a very difficult time acknowledging that they're terrible. I'm not saying they were but there are strong hints in these cases that things weren't as perfect as these parents say and it's likely most of these young people I mentioned would have found death without SS, as tragic as it sounds.

You know, my own mother laughed into my face when I told her that I'm depressed. She didn't give a fuck about me, yet she sincerely believes she was probably a good parent. When I went through severe neglect when I was a young child. I didn't receive the appropriate love and care and it fucked me up, longterm. I'm certain my BPD developed as a result of the awful experiences I had as a child. BPD is linked to child abuse or neglect, so my parents are indirectly responsible for this very difficult mental health condition, which is making my life a nightmare. So my own parents are a major reason why I'm suffering so much today and they don't even know. I'm sure the parents that are so vocal about SS belong in a very similar category. And I think they are a very good example as to why anti-natalism should be a more known philosophy. It's all about harmful parents.
I agree with this, and can sadly relate. My parents were responsible for my BPD and depression and suicidal thoughts. My mom was more overtly abusive, my father was covert. Even though me and my father are generally closer today, there is a lack of responsibility on his end.

However, if I CTB'd I think on some level he would feel bad. My mom would not. She would have spun it around to make herself the victim and have the attention on her.

When a child commits suicide we are quick to blame bullying. Not to say bullying isn't a pandemic that affects children everywhere. But what about children who are bullied at school and abused at home. The sole reason could even be abusive parents. Society puts parents such a pedestal that we cannot fathom a parent fucking up so bad they make their child commit suicide. But it's true. My mom nearly did starting when I was 13. Straight up told me if I died she would be happier. Told me to jump out a window. My father was oblivious to this and very ignorant. Even now, he still is to where, while I know he doesn't take my suicial thoughts seriously, we can at least talk about mental health to some degree

With all this I am saying, I get it. From one abused soul to another, I get it. Society needs to wake the fuck up. Not all parents are angels. Some are loving, some are well intentioned, and many are horribly abusive. Accountability and punishment for these parents are almost never given as they are protected and enabled by society. I feel like this site will eventually force people to look at themselves and see that the problem isn't us, its society. Society needs to change its view on mental health, suicide, and abusive parents. We have so long to do go but my hope is that, one day, we will get there

M

My_name_is_Luka

Experienced
Apr 28, 2020
If we need exchange of information for exit that might be crucial for the likelihood if it is going to be peaceful and without damaged survival we can't let people with undifferiantiated thinking and anger take that right away from us.
It is just this tiny space we have when there are dozens of offers for clinics etc. for whatever illness.
that's exactly what I meant.
Those people can't simply understand what physical suffering means. No one protects us; not the medical system, not the health insurances. Cancer, autoimmune diseases, genetic disorders, incurable injuries and infections. Cannot they contemplate that there are such cases? Are they still in peace with themselves if they think that they force such people to keep enduring their pain for years, or to try to commit suicide without proper informations?
For how sad it is, it's impossible to save certain lives. And attempting suicide without a proper preparation is dangerous, also for other people.
This website is always warning about such dangers and discouraging what can result in permanent invalidity and what can cause injury to others.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Just visited the stop sanctioned suicide fb page and they shared my post where I shared Jackie's post!! So now I'm sharing their post of me sharing Jackie's post.. so over to you sss fb group! You need to share my post where I'm sharing your post of me sharing Jackie's post.. (this could go on and on...)
View attachment 59414
Can they not see that they're harassing sad, lonely, broken, vulnerable people?
And they're so smug and pleased with themselves, kicking people who are already down. So proud of themselves.
Disgusting. Despicable. Fucking bullies is all they are.

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
I mean it doesn't even make sense. I'm confident that these people are on the wrong side of history. Just a small reminder that the right to die was legalized in Germany, Austria and Spain just in 2020 alone. That's a huge step into the right direction. With Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg that already legalized assisted suicide as a practice many years ago, that's a great outlook for the future. I'm confident the right to die will win in the long run, the key - and that's very important - is secularization of society and government. Countries that are highly influenced by religious morals have a lower approval rating on assisted suicide. In most European countries, there is generally high approval of some kind of assisted suicide process because we're very secular compared to the rest of the world. The legal and moral framework that shapes our thinking and judgement about suicide is still hostage to Christian metaphysics in many countries all around the world. Now, I'm not saying this issue will be settled in 2 years and everyone can just leave with a finger snap but I think we're slowly moving into good territory. This is a human right battle that will last for many centuries, that's for sure.

The only reason why we experience such backlash is because these people that oppose us have a very effective narrative. They make the whole argument about minors and they're trying to de-legitimize the right to die from this very emotional angle - but of course, they want to take away the right to make such decisions for everyone, regardless of age. They oppose the right to die on principle. They simply dislike the idea that autonomous consenting adults can make such decisions, that's why they're so eager to take us down. They also portray the whole forum in a very misrepresenting way, they pretend we "encourage" and "assist" - that's not really what happens here. Autonomous and consenting adults come to this place for information, to make a conscious informed decision about the right to die. Information means power and people want to have control back over their own life. That's an empowering move, being able to make your own decisions regarding your right to die. It's as simple as that, that's the magic behind SS, nothing else. There is no encouragement or assistance. People are making purchases for themselves, they organize and execute their plans on their own accord. The only thing they get is information and that information, once again, is directed towards adults that have the mental capability to make these decisions in the first place. And they deserve to make that decision for themselves because that's a deeply personal and intimate subject.
And suffering from a mental health issue doesn't remove your autonomy - let me make this clear, thinking that is extremely ableist and discriminatory towards people with disabilities because once again, human rights apply to everyone - also disabled people. But as I said, it's very difficult to argue against their emotional narrative because you need to debunk so much before you can properly tackle this discussion. That's why I believe the right to die can't be settled via social media. It's impossible to have nuanced and rational arguments. We should let them scream and yell all day, what we have to do is bring this issue into the courts. That's how we won in Germany and Austria - although Spain legalized assisted suicide through parliament I guess. The courts will have to decide with us in the long run because the right to die is a human right issue, as proven by several court rulings of the ECHR or Germany just last year. If you declare bodily autonomy as a human right, you have to accept that some people will use this very human right to end their suffering. And as Germany said in their ruling: society has to respect that. End of discussion.

And I know these people on Twitter hate me. They fucking hate but this is an issue that I sincerely believe in and as someone who is passionate about this subject, I'll have to double down on my stance. If you ever suffer from a condition that's causing unbearable pain and is gonna destroy your mental or physical health you will understand the precious value of autonomy. I'm sure you'll understand my view point but I hope you'll never have to experience such horrible conditions, like most of us in this forum do and instead, understand my view point someday with enough reflection and research.
Yeh I feel like usa will be one of the last ones to allow it.. unless maybe a place like Oregon, California or a super blue state passes it.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied
agreement

agreement

Mage
Mar 26, 2018
I'm really sorry for all this that's happening and I'm close to the mods and the people that have been personally attacked.
I hope sometime it will be understood that this place means no harm to anyone but exactly the opposite.

O

ovaltinee99

Student
Nov 9, 2020
Something I noticed is people who are staunchly against suicide are incredibly overconfident in their ability to help. They think that if someone is mentally unhealthy or hopeless all they have to do is ask for help and then the problem will eventually be solved. Life is more complicated than that - and it takes a lot of maturity, experience and intelligence to understand the nuances.

People having access to proper methods is vital. Otherwise, those who are decided will only have the option to die in gruesome ways (eg jump, train, guns, car crash, self cuts) that may negatively affect real innocent people. (Also I don't know why these protesters call their children innocent. Those people intended to die and they succeeded. No one forced them into going to a suicide forum.)

D

Deleted member 25508

shooting star
Jan 18, 2021
The inaccurate, "woe is me" framing of it is intentional. It's blatant manipulation. Sorry to sound so jaded, but due to personal experience, I'm going to err on the side of this kind of behavior influencing their loved ones' suicidal ideation. I know it's harsh, but my mother is exactly the type to do this sort of thing. And guess what—she made my life a living hell for almost 20 years. Even now, after I have PTSD from her behavior, she still considers herself "the perfect mom." Even now, it's somehow still my fault for all the abuse she put me through.

My mother is an expert at playing the victim, and living with someone like that has made me very skeptical. Losing a loved one hurts, but the way these types try to stir outrage mobs is pathological. They lack the insight to do anything but blame everybody else, just like my own mom.

I asked her for help when I started feeling suicidal, and she told me she resented me. That being said, I know she would still blame this site if I actually went through with it. (Thankfully, she doesn't know about it, but I digress.) I wonder if something like that happened to the others here who have left us. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I wrote a post about this earlier, and I deleted it because I thought I was being too insensitive, but I too am in complete agreement with RainAndSadness for the aforementioned reasons. Of course, I can't speak for anyone else. This is just my opinion.

I can't definitively say what happened in anybody else's situation, but I have a hard time taking any of this at face value.

Last edited:
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I wanted to say thank you very much to the mods. The right of a death with dignity should be a human right. Where are the servers of this website? UK? I do not know much but can't you make a .to website?
They want to oppress the minority of people who already suffer an incredible horrible life.
First they do not allow assisted suicide force people into illegal actions and then they persecute them. This system is very sick

M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
The number 1 cause of death is birth. She gave birth to that child. I have no clue what her parenting skills or commitment were. But without her giving birth, her child would not be dead. That's a fact, not a judgement
Correct that is a fact .... without life there is no death.
I am not sure what your point is otherwise.

T

TessB

Warlock
Oct 13, 2020
And they're so smug and pleased with themselves, kicking people who are already down. So proud of themselves.
You are absolutely right. Poking a stick at suicidal people and trying to humiliate them. Lowest of the low.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I'd like to add my appreciation for the mods and the effort they put in. I usually hang out in off-topic but I also see the benefit of having a space for people to vent, cry, and post biscuit pictures on to keep them moving another day. While I only know people from avatars and forum names there is a "dude you get it" vibe that I get from nobody else.
-As to keeping the crusaders and minors out: I have no real clue, not my expertise. Photos wouldn't be very comfortable for people even if they were the ticket to proving identity and age. Maybe on the "goodbye" threads a pm-only option, or delete after "x" days, or only allowed after "x" days of activtiy? I don't know, just throwing it out there. I can see how they'd be construed as cheerleading posts and would be the first thing pointed to as a reason to shut down. It's a fine line to walk and finding that line is going to be hard.

- (ranty so feel free to ignore): I read the posts about how evil the site is and the good they are doing, and it's the worst kind of self-righteousness. They may have been totally blind and their loss may have come as a surprise, I don't know them. But to do the "all I have to do is type?" protest bs, how about doing something constructive, or even actually getting off you chair and help someone? There's probably a few of them who are embarrassed now that people they know will whisper and it can't be taken back. They should just leave us alone, they do every other time.

M

Miss_Takes

Dec 4, 2020
I see it as merely a degree of separation ... they are also sad, lonely, broken and vulnerable people with misdirected grief.
People lash out when they're in pain and while I agree that the onus is not on 'us' to comfort them or fix them it doesnt help me to transfer my anger and grief and fear onto them just as it will not help them.

And calling them names or labelling them is really just dropping ourselves to the level of behaviour that many members of SS suggest is what brought them to this site after all.

I am all for standing up for the right to death with dignity but how does name calling and labelling support that?
What function does it provide to enable understanding of the pro choice view?

I understand that members are afraid that the site will disappear when it has so much value for so many who have so little ... but some of this reaction is unhelpful and really only reinforces the negative viewpoint ft26 hold of this site and its members.
Again, how is that helpful to the longevity of the site or the anxiety levels of SS members?

Last edited:
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
The amount of hatred and ugliness being thrown around towards grieving parents has made this saga that much more damaging to the site and community.

People often misconstrue their statements (they're not against people having a place to talk about suicide, they're against having suicide methods openly available to all) and come up with weak arguments ("we have a recovery section!" That is literally a fraction of the size of the suicide discussion board) ("some people choose life after being on the site!" Which completely disregards that this site has helped people end their lives) to bouy their personal insults.

I find these people distasteful too and their arguments are also pretty flimsy and their attitude fucking sucks, but I'm increasingly uncomfortable with a group of grieving parents being propped up as the evil villains of this site. I've been spending a lot more time off the site because I'm just that sick of this conversation and the same vapid insults being thrown towards a loose coalition of people with no actual power.

This is a website that bases itself on offering means to end your life. People are going to want it taken down no matter what. Luckily for us that's basically impossible since it's not like we / administration are breaking any laws, but we have absolutely given these people so much more power than they ever had by watching and interacting with them just to "get one up on the pro life haters xD" like it even matters. They've made their decision and no amount of twitter debating is going to help them change their minds.

I know I'm in the minority so I've kept my mouth shut for fear of opening myself to abusive responses, but I don't care much anymore. This is a really bad look.

K

Kbeau

Student
Jan 17, 2021
The amount of hatred and ugliness being thrown around towards grieving parents has made this saga that much more damaging to the site and community.

People often misconstrue their statements (they're not against people having a place to talk about suicide, they're against having suicide methods openly available to all) and come up with weak arguments ("we have a recovery section!" That is literally a fraction of the size of the suicide discussion board) ("some people choose life after being on the site!" Which completely disregards that this site has helped people end their lives) to bouy their personal insults.

I find these people distasteful too and their arguments are also pretty flimsy and their attitude fucking sucks, but I'm increasingly uncomfortable with a group of grieving parents being propped up as the evil villains of this site. I've been spending a lot more time off the site because I'm just that sick of this conversation and the same vapid insults being thrown towards a loose coalition of people with no actual power.

This is a website that bases itself on offering means to end your life. People are going to want it taken down no matter what. Luckily for us that's basically impossible since it's not like we / administration are breaking any laws, but we have absolutely given these people so much more power than they ever had by watching and interacting with them just to "get one up on the pro life haters xD" like it even matters. They've made their decision and no amount of twitter debating is going to help them change their minds.

I know I'm in the minority so I've kept my mouth shut for fear of opening myself to abusive responses, but I don't care much anymore. This is a really bad look.
Bye, bye

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
People often misconstrue their statements (they're not against people having a place to talk about suicide, they're against having suicide methods openly available to all) [...]

Not quite true. FT26, Jackie and some relatives attacked and harassed Philip Nitschke and his organization Exit International over Twitter, just a few weeks ago. Jackie said it's evil to offer peaceful methods to terminally ill people and the elderly. I think it's an act of mercy to provide them a peaceful and dignified way out in their final moments. Others even went so far and told him to kill himself. If you still believe they're not as malicious as portrayed, take a look at their activities on social media. They act like complete thugs.

Last edited:
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021

I agree that the most robust policy is to ignore. Being prepared for technical attacks on the website itself is very wise, of course, but their silly government petitions and rambling twitter accounts should be of no interest whatsoever.

2tirednow

2tirednow

Feb 14, 2020
I don't know what has happened as I've not visited for a while. I rarely post, just read, as my confidence in nil. I come her every time life gets too much and I would definitely be dead by now if it wasn't for this forum.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021

Not quite true. FT26, Jackie and some relatives attacked and harassed Philip Nitschke and his organization Exit International over Twitter, just a few weeks ago. Jackie said it's evil to offer peaceful methods to terminally ill people and the elderly. I think it's an act of mercy to provide them a peaceful and dignified way out in their final moments. Others even went so far and told him to kill himself. If you still believe they're not as malicious as portrayed, take a look at their activities on social media. They act like complete thugs.
They need to experience more pain in order to understand us. Perhaps the deaths of their children will provide the necessary suffering, but I doubt even that will do it. No one that truly cares for their children can give birth to them.

Last edited:
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
I just let out a huge sigh of relief- I'm so glad to see the site is still active. I nearly had a panic attack. :'(

It's know it's hard to lose someone, I understand that- it's just getting so hard to remain compassionate towards people trying to take away a place that helps me cope.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I see it as merely a degree of separation ... they are also sad, lonely, broken and vulnerable people with misdirected grief.
People lash out when they're in pain and while I agree that the onus is not on 'us' to comfort them or fix them it doesnt help me to transfer my anger and grief and fear onto them just as it will not help them.

And calling them names or labelling them is really just dropping ourselves to the level of behaviour that many members of SS suggest is what brought them to this site after all.

I am all for standing up for the right to death with dignity but how does name calling and labelling support that?

I understand that members are afraid that the site will disappear when it has so much value for so many who have so little ... but some of this reaction is unhelpful and really only reinforces the negative viewpoint ft26 hold of this site and its members.
Again, how is that helpful to the longevity of the site or the anxiety levels of SS members?
I do my best to ignore F26 and all their drama. I rarely say anything on the matter. Yet you decide to single me out and lecture and finger-wag at me, and make me an example of "bad behavior"? Fuck you. Take your self-righteous holier-than-thou bullshit and blow it out your ass.

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020

I don't particularly care if they're "grieving parents". What they're doing is not right, plain and simple, nothing excuses their behavior in my eyes. Bullying suicidal people does make them the "evil villains."

I'm sure there's many parents who have lost their children to suicide who don't resort to mocking people discussing their problems in support groups or telling other people to kill themselves.

There's no misconstruing going on, they've made their stances pretty clear:

Also, the recovery section being small has no bearing on anything. If people want to recovery that's their choice, as much as it is if they don't.

M

Miss_Takes

Dec 4, 2020
I do my best to ignore F26 and all their drama. I rarely say anything on the matter. Yet you decide to single me out and lecture and finger-wag at me, and make me an example of "bad behavior"? Fuck you. Take your self-righteous holier-than-thou bullshit and blow it out your ass.
It was not my intention and i unreservedly apologise for that impact on you.

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
ah well Good4Nothing that's the reality with half the members here now
they've all gone bad.

don't even bother with em, I don't care if she shuts the site down I really just want it to end, it'll be enough for me to finally go off myself

B

BeBraveBrother

Student
Sep 5, 2020

I think that's an important point that people here shouldn't miss.
It's not about being against someone or a group, it is about being for the own right to be able to choose and taking a clear and fortified stance for it.

M

M

What if it was YOUR website being taken down by grieving parents?

Grieving parents or not, they're still trying to take down a place that many of us call home.

M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
A press release regarding recent events: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/press/PR_SanctionedSuicide.pdf

It's been a very rough morning, to say the least.

First of all, I want to offer my condolences to Sharon Luft, who lost her son 2 weeks ago.

Secondly, for those that are looking to go on a crusade to try to take this website down due to false and exaggerated claims, this site is a support community for thousands of people. I have spoken to countless people that are way better off that thank this site for helping them to recover. The claims about people live-streaming their suicides is a false one. We have NEVER allowed that here, and I'm not even sure if that has ever been done before.

People that are under 18 have not been allowed to register for years now. We have always been against minors being on the website and we maintain that stance today.

The social mob trying to report threads will not read this, but at least the ones that do will understand our position.

In other news, our backup domain is at https://sanctioned-suicide.net just in case this one gets taken down.

Sincerely,
Marquis
I love it when other people try to decide for me that I am better off alive than dead. Fuck off please.