I

inactive

Student
Jul 26, 2020
I don't see it discussed a great amount. The focus is on SN, N, hanging, etc.

I'll admit I haven't delved deeply into the specifics of this method yet but it seems like a bloody brilliant method from all outward appearances. Is there something I don't know? Is it lack of access to good jumping spots? The possibility of traumatising the person who finds your splattered remains?

It's an attractive method to me because as long as you jump from a sufficiently tall location, it's safe to say that there will be virtually NO doubt in your mind that you're going to die. No fiddly tying, no cost, no drinking nasty solutions, no turning back, no chance of revival, list goes on. It's a dream in so many ways. Or is it?

Reactions: Sisifos, GravityUtilizer, Bauhaus and 1 other person
Zappfe lover

Zappfe lover

Experienced
Jun 24, 2020
I don't see it discussed a great amount. The focus is on SN, N, hanging, etc.

I'll admit I haven't delved deeply into the specifics of this method yet but it seems like a bloody brilliant method from all outward appearances. Is there something I don't know? Is it lack of access to good jumping spots? The possibility of traumatising the person who finds your splattered remains?

It's an attractive method to me because as long as you jump from a sufficiently tall location, it's safe to say that there will be virtually NO doubt in your mind that you're going to die. No fiddly tying, no cost, no drinking nasty solutions, no turning back, no chance of revival, list goes on. It's a dream in so many ways. Or is it?
The biggest problem with jumping is facing the SI. I try to imagine myself jumping sometimes, and I get desperate

Reactions: 262653
Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
It has several problems, the survival instinct and that it is possible to survive.

I

inactive

Student
Jul 26, 2020
Well, it's possible to survive basically any method. This just has an extremely high success rate, providing you have used a good jumping spot.

What is special about jumping SI? I don't see why it would be any harder to overcome than another method.

Reactions: Sisifos
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Hello @ropebunny. If you use the search gizmo for terms like Beachy Head or jumping you'll find a lot of discussion about it. I'm not sure there's a so-called mega-thread about it, but check the Resource Compendium:
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/resource-compilation.3/

There have been a few posters here who survived jumps with varying degrees of permanent impairment. That may have dampened some interest in the method.

It's not for me because I'm disabled, uneasy with heights, and anyway have no access to anywhere remotely high enough to feel confident about.

Reactions: Sensei and BetterInthanOut
E

ebt88

Student
Jun 11, 2020
It's a matter of preference and availability. Are you planning to jump?

InaccessibleHour

InaccessibleHour

Student
Sep 1, 2018
P much what others have already said, too high of a risk of surviving but permanently impaired, specially with my luck, SI, extreme pain if I do survive, high likelihood of getting "help", etc.

Torbasco

Torbasco

Jun 10, 2020
What is special about jumping SI? I don't see why it would be any harder to overcome than another method.
Your primal self-preservation instincts will be much more likely to recognize a dangerous fall than drinking a weird salty drink. We aren't hard wired to recognize the dangers of drinking SN or shooting ourselves, but our brains will immediately recognize a long fall, and you might not be able to overcome that instinct.

Reactions: thx1138, WastedSpace, Spirals and 8 others
I

inactive

Student
Jul 26, 2020
It's a matter of preference and availability. Are you planning to jump?

Haven't decided on a method. Lots of reading to do.
Your primal self-preservation instincts will be much more likely to recognize a dangerous fall than drinking a weird salty drink. We aren't hard wired to recognize the dangers of drinking SN or shooting ourselves, but our brains will immediately recognize a long fall, and you might not be able to overcome that instinct.

That's fair. Thanks for the response.

Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019

I think it's because it requires a visibly radical step (literally) that most of us aren't practised at. It's not outré to swallow some pills or drink something nasty, but leaping from a great height is something our bodies know is dangerous, and unless you're a hang-glider or a ski jumper or something like that, we haven't trained our bodies to overcome those ancient orders.

@Torbasco said it better faster. 8]

Last edited:
Reactions: Brink
Torbasco

Torbasco

Jun 10, 2020
In any case, if you think you can bypass SI to jump, make absolutely sure it's a sufficient height. There will likely only a handful of adequate bridges or other drops in your country, so you may have to do some research about bridges in your country.
According to the megathread, it's highly recommended to have a drop of 100m (~328 feet) with landing on a hard surface, or 200m (~656 feet) with landing on water. The lack of convenience and availability of such drops is likely a contributing factor of it's relative unpopularity.

I

inactive

Student
Jul 26, 2020
I think it's because it requires a visibly radical step (literally) that most of us aren't practised at. It's not outré to swallow some pills or drink something nasty, but unless you're a hang-glider or a ski jumper or something like that, leaping from a great height is something our bodies know is dangerous.

I guess this is the issue – I am dreadful at swallowing pills and drinking unpleasant drinks no matter how hard I try. So jumping genuinely does feel as though it would be easier for me to execute.
In any case, if you think you can bypass SI to jump, make absolutely sure it's a sufficient height. There will likely only a handful of adequate bridges or other drops in your country, so you may have to do some research about bridges in your country.
According to the megathread, it's highly recommended to have a drop of 100m (~328 feet) with landing on a hard surface, or 200m (~656 feet) with landing on water. The lack of convenience and availability of such drops is likely a contributing factor of it's relative unpopularity.

I have already memorised the 100m/200m tidbit but thanks for looking out for me :)

Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
This is like asking why some people prefer tea over coffee.

The person may not have access to coffee or may not be a fan of the taste.

Reactions: iDieUDie80
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Personally, it's mostly an issue of risking extreme agony. Even if it's only for a few moments before death comes, the prospect is frightening enough to keep me from doing it.

Reactions: Fedrea and Sensei
W

WhatIsMyLife

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
SI is real. It's paralyzing. Jumping just makes SI even more of a factor. Looking down at the ground... Consequences of failure as well..

Eternity

Eternity

Apr 24, 2020

I agree. Besides, when you join this community you learn way more (humane) methods than the, in my opinion, violent ones (such as jumping, train, cutting). Why "punish" yourself and others with a lot of pain/blood, when there's a more peaceful solution (N/SN/Helium/Carbon monoxide).

Reactions: everydayiloveyou
wonderworld

wonderworld

w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶
Jun 5, 2020
For me personally I think it's the "drama of it all " aka of someone sees me trying to jump they are going to call the police and more people are going to come and stare at me. In some cases it makes the news. Another thing I don't want but at the same time I rather jump then take bunch of pills.

Reactions: Motoko

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
If SI was not an issue for me... I'd search for the highest available jumping spot, with asphalt or some other rough material at the landing spot. I'd try to land on my head.

Soul

Soul

Apr 12, 2019
I agree. Besides, when you join this community you learn way more (humane) methods than the, in my opinion, violent ones (such as jumping, train, cutting). Why "punish" yourself and others with a lot of pain/blood, when there's a more peaceful solution (N/SN/Helium/Carbon monoxide).

Because people want different things from our deaths. "Peaceful" isn't a priority for everyone; some prefer angry bitter FUs, or painful methods that underscore how much pain they were in before they did that to themselves. Spectacle and drama, as in FINALLY someone's paying attention! And so on.

B

bigdog

Arcanist
Jul 12, 2020
Jumping is scary and it is hard to get access to roofs bridges or whatever high enough or it can bring attention to your attempt. Personally I wouldn't do it, I think even drowning is better

Reactions: Fedrea
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
Some people want more of a peaceful/less painless ctb. I would say it's also accessing a place high enough to be able to succeed that can be troubling.

One member mentioned that there are chances of survival too. Compared to other methods, jumping isn't as lethal. The OP mentions that there's really no turning back once you make that jump. If not successful, someone can end up in a veggie state and is what some fear. When drinking SN or N, no matter how hard it is to get the items, you have more control than you do with the method of jumping

HappyMstake

HappyMstake

Not so happy as it turns out.
May 29, 2020
Simple. I'm afraid of heights. Jumping is probably near the very bottom of my list.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Many good answers others have listed here, including overcoming SI and having reliable access to tall enough places. I'd like to include an additional reason, and it's due to most places being guarded (by LE patrols and suicide-prevention people) and/or having barriers in place that make jumping (or accessing it effectively) to be much more difficult for the average person. Furthermore, these areas are oftenly in public and in busy areas (not all but most) so the chance of intervention is higher than if someone found a secluded place.

restingspot

restingspot

Lucid Dreamer
May 30, 2019
Fear of heights is a common thing among people. Most of us prefer ground level. Anything elevated greatly makes us uncomfortable. Hell, bridges make me curl into a ball in the car if I'm not the one driving.

It's also the end result. Some jumping deaths aren't instantaneous. It depends on how high you jump but some people think a few stories is enough to die. Nope. People who misjudge the height end up with their shit fucked up and are alive to feel it. Methods like hanging, N, and SN have a smaller margin of error because it's usually planned methodically. With jumping, you just...yeet yourself off the building and hope to angle yourself at the right moment.

This is just from my perspective though. I could be wrong.

Reactions: everydayiloveyou and TAW122
clocktower

clocktower

anxious
Jun 25, 2020
i have a huge fear of heights but the urge to die would overrule it for me personally. for me it's more the uncertainty - not knowing whether you'll be able to gain access to your jumping spot (security, barriers, locks), whether you're jumping in the correct position for successfully ctb, the possibility of somehow surviving and becoming worse off than you were before. too many risky factors that scare me more than the height itself.

i've considered jumping a lot, the idea of just one jump to end all the pain as you go splat is appealing, but unfortunately not as easy to achieve as it sounds. weird how our bodies are so fragile and yet so durable at the same time.

T

TJuk

Student
Feb 8, 2020
Because I survived jumping from a bridge

• Wow
Reactions: Rdc, omoidarui, Silenos and 2 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Because I survived jumping from a bridge
Really? That's terrifying. I'm interested to know about your experience. How high was the fall? What were your thoughts during the fall? How painful was it after impact, from 1 to 10? Do you suffer any permanent impairments now? Feel free to decline answering these personal questions, of course.

Reactions: Toobrokentofix
T

TJuk

Student
Feb 8, 2020
Really? That's terrifying. I'm interested to know about your experience. How high was the fall? What were your thoughts during the fall? How painful was it after impact, from 1 to 10? Do you suffer any permanent impairments now? Feel free to decline answering these personal questions, of course.
100ft drop, during the fall 'wow this feeling is freeing, no pain, no struggles'

After impact, I'd hit water and wow did that hurt. I tried moving to the far side as I could see an ambulance, coastguard and lifeboat and police on the other side. There is a strong undercurrent where I was, apparently I shouldn't have survived but because annoyingly I'm a strong swimmer it didn't manage to take me under. Whilst in water I had no pain, when the lifeboat crew pulled me out wow the pain was unreal. 9 on pain scale infact I was in and out of consciousness, I was fighting the ambulance crew and lifeboat crew I remember none of that. I have a vague memory of waking up in resus and telling the police who tried to talk me down before I jumped coming and speaking to me. I apparently swore at them and told them they should have let me die.

I have fractured vertebrae, I live in extreme pain daily, I use a wheelchair often because I can't walk far and have stupid amounts of pain.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: GravityUtilizer, Fedrea, Rdc and 8 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
100ft drop, during the fall 'wow this feeling is freeing, no pain, no struggles'

After impact, I'd hit water and wow did that hurt. I tried moving to the far side as I could see an ambulance, coastguard and lifeboat and police on the other side. There is a strong undercurrent where I was, apparently I shouldn't have survived but because annoyingly I'm a strong swimmer it didn't manage to take me under. Whilst in water I had no pain, when the lifeboat crew pulled me out wow the pain was unreal. 9 on pain scale infact I was in and out of consciousness, I was fighting the ambulance crew and lifeboat crew I remember none of that. I have a vague memory of waking up in resus and telling the police who tried to talk me down before I jumped coming and speaking to me. I apparently swore at them and told them they should have let me die.

I have fractured vertebrae, I live in extreme pain daily, I use a wheelchair often because I can't walk far and have stupid amounts of pain.
That's harrowing, thank you for sharing. It's horrible that you have to suffer aftereffects. Are you thinking of attempting again, if so, would it be jumping again? Personally I really want to go but I'm too scared to ever try jumping. Wishing you peace.

mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
I think it would be so difficult to take that step off the ledge because it's so against our instinct of self preservation. I'm also afraid of heights.

Reactions: Fedrea