• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I had new ideas for threads. But I struggle to get enough sleep so I should not do insanely long ones. But sometimes the thoughts simply pour out of my head and need to be put on the computer.

Recently I bought me new clothes. I won't specifiy it I am too scared about being identified. It costed some money for sure though it is also quality. I don't have many clothes or shoes. I like the process of ordering something online and then be excited when the post is delivered. It costed some money but far away from luxury brands.

Recently I met someone in public transport with a balenciaga jacket. It looked pretty bad but maybe my opinion is not worth anything on these issues. It looked average I could not spot any difference. The brand invoked some thoughts. I thought about a Juice WRLD song where he mentions that company and there was a news story about it. I remembered that finally. Maybe you have heard of it. I cannot remember all details please correct me if I am wrong. But balenciaga created an ad campaign where a bondage bear (for children) and child abuse papers were featured. Pretty sick and disgusting. Maybe one could draw a parallels between rockstars and popular brands some rules do not seem to apply for them. They just can allow themselves a lot until someone calls them out. The story is way more complex but I simplified it. I am not sure whether it is talked about in the international press but the German media reports without any break about Rammstein singer Till Lindemann who might abused fans in order to sleep with him. Also here the story is way more nuanced but I try to keep it short.

Usually my threads contain some influences of articles that inspired me. Though on this topic it is purely my own thoughts. I try to surpass the "capitalism is bad and stupid" level but I am not sure whether I achieve that. I have the feeling luxury brands are kind of a counterculture among young people. In my country there is the cliche that young people are all woke and lefties. In the election 2 years ago many of them voted for the neoliberal party though. And I could imagine there might be a connection with the popularity of luxury brands. I could imagine there is also some similarity with the phenomenon of Andrew Tate. Our society becomes more and more progressive. There is an emphasis on equality (at least in my country) and the education also features lessons on outdated role models, diversity and equal opportunity for all people.

I have the feeling some young people want to be contrarian when they buy such products. Or when young men behave like dicks and watch Andrew Tate. In both instances but primarily on the first one it is only a protest on the surface. It is quite the opposite of that. It reminds me of politicians who pretend they would care for the average Jane and Joe while serving the elites and giving them tax cuts etc. When imitating Tate the teenagers want to be edgy, provoke (like when they draw swastikas in my country to annoy the teachers) and want to be different/unique. I think luxury brands have different motives. In social media these people see people bragging to have women, money, fame etc. The social media culture celebrates the surface level. Everything must look good to impress other people. I find it funny I also read that fake products of popular luxury trades are very popular. Honestly I don't really mind that. I just don't care enough about it. I rather think when I see someone in a Balenciaga jacket how stupid must this person be to waste all his money for such a superficial competition. By the way he also stared at my t-shirt. I had the feeling he might suspected I would wear also a t-shirt from that trademark (which I obviously don't do).

Among young people in my country the self-made story is also very popular. For example when naive teenagers think they could skip school and get rich easily by day-trading. I read day-trading is extremely difficult and most people waste money on it. There are also pyramid schemes where young people get scammed. These people are often very ashamed about it and some consider suicide because of it. Being an entrepreneur is pretty trendy. I think many people overestimate their skills especially very young people. They have libertarian role models like Elon Musk or Peter Thiel. Most of them are not that savvy as they think they are. Moreover even if you are very talented and skilled there is often a lot of risk involved and it needs luck. In the US the culture is more open to risk one's fate. There is also more capital invested for such projects. However as we can see the side-effect is that poor people get treated like shit in such a culture. One is responsible for one's own fate or other meritocratic lies. But this becomes too political.

Furthermore I find the whole thing a little bit sad. It is a status symbol but does it really matter? It is so useless to spend so much money just for the name. Who buys shit like supreme? Is there really a significant quality difference? Personally I rather value education and intelligence which also can have pretty nasty side effects. One could do so many good things with that money. I rather perceive it as superifical when I see them wearing very expensive brands. I also like to wear clothes or shoes that look good. But the name of the company is not decisive for me. An example with appel products I see there might be some advantages. For a long time they were extremely innovative and dominated with their quality. Though in my opinion nowadays many trades with lower prices can easily compete with apple. Apple lives pretty good because of the name. I am no expert on such technologies but I find it funny.

Maybe the following is cynical I am a lefty myself. I see many young people in college with apple phones or laptops who are very leftwing and who are in favor of equality. I already asked someone whether this might be a contradiction. Though such a gotcha game can easily backfire. Noone is perfect. I also buy from questionable companies when it is more comfortable for me. It is just an interesting thing to think about. Is this a purity test whether one buys such trademades that violate one's own principles? Honestly I cannot give the final answer it probably has to be evaluted case for case.

The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I don't give a fuck what I look like to other people.
I dress like a tramp and am oblivious to what others think of me.
I've never understood the obsession with big name labels.
It all seems a bit snobbish to me.
I'm not having a go at anyone who's into this stuff, each to their own I say.

MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
I had new ideas for threads. But I struggle to get enough sleep so I should not do insanely long ones. But sometimes the thoughts simply pour out of my head and need to be put on the computer.

Recently I bought me new clothes. I won't specifiy it I am too scared about being identified. It costed some money for sure though it is also quality. I don't have many clothes or shoes. I like the process of ordering something online and then be excited when the post is delivered. It costed some money but far away from luxury brands.

Recently I met someone in public transport with a balenciaga jacket. It looked pretty bad but maybe my opinion is not worth anything on these issues. It looked average I could not spot any difference. The brand invoked some thoughts. I thought about a Juice WRLD song where he mentions that company and there was a news story about it. I remembered that finally. Maybe you have heard of it. I cannot remember all details please correct me if I am wrong. But balenciaga created an ad campaign where a bondage bear (for children) and child abuse papers were featured. Pretty sick and disgusting. Maybe one could draw a parallels between rockstars and popular brands some rules do not seem to apply for them. They just can allow themselves a lot until someone calls them out. The story is way more complex but I simplified it. I am not sure whether it is talked about in the international press but the German media reports without any break about Rammstein singer Till Lindemann who might abused fans in order to sleep with him. Also here the story is way more nuanced but I try to keep it short.

Usually my threads contain some influences of articles that inspired me. Though on this topic it is purely my own thoughts. I try to surpass the "capitalism is bad and stupid" level but I am not sure whether I achieve that. I have the feeling luxury brands are kind of a counterculture among young people. In my country there is the cliche that young people are all woke and lefties. In the election 2 years ago many of them voted for the neoliberal party though. And I could imagine there might be a connection with the popularity of luxury brands. I could imagine there is also some similarity with the phenomenon of Andrew Tate. Our society becomes more and more progressive. There is an emphasis on equality (at least in my country) and the education also features lessons on outdated role models, diversity and equal opportunity for all people.

I have the feeling some young people want to be contrarian when they buy such products. Or when young men behave like dicks and watch Andrew Tate. In both instances but primarily on the first one it is only a protest on the surface. It is quite the opposite of that. It reminds me of politicians who pretend they would care for the average Jane and Joe while serving the elites and giving them tax cuts etc. When imitating Tate the teenagers want to be edgy, provoke (like when they draw swastikas in my country to annoy the teachers) and want to be different/unique. I think luxury brands have different motives. In social media these people see people bragging to have women, money, fame etc. The social media culture celebrates the surface level. Everything must look good to impress other people. I find it funny I also read that fake products of popular luxury trades are very popular. Honestly I don't really mind that. I just don't care enough about it. I rather think when I see someone in a Balenciaga jacket how stupid must this person be to waste all his money for such a superficial competition. By the way he also stared at my t-shirt. I had the feeling he might suspected I would wear also a t-shirt from that trademark (which I obviously don't do).
There are couple of reasons -
1. Like you said STATUS !! As creatures of evolution it increases our mating chances if we appear more resourceful and successful compared to others. One really has to overcome this programming to value things beyond the superficial .

2. It's also about marking a milestone. If someone is wearing a rolex watch , he feels good about himself when he sees the time . "I really worked hard for this expensive watch " . This gives him an ego boost .

3. The quality. A lot of times the expensive thing is just better quality. If I eat at an expensive restaurant , there is a good chance that they use better quality ingredients and hygiene practices. If I buy a car from a BMW I know I will be more assured of replacement, reliability, maintainability than a car from a startup company .

4. Like you said Messaging!! Buy budlight and stand with trans rights, Buy Nike and stand with people of color ...

I have seen garment brands especially get away with just putting their logo on their shirt which magically inflates the price .

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yeah- I'd agree with others- status. Bit like a peacock showing off it's feathers. People are attracted to money. Maybe they like to feel superior as well.

I'd say in some cases- people may have a genuine attraction to a designers style. In which case- if they've got the money- maybe they just enjoy surrounding themselves with things they find beautiful.

Also- as other people have said- it CAN be to do with quality. If it's a functional item- a tool if you like. I don't know- I've learnt from experience- buy the best you can afford when it comes to tools. Cheap tools CAN produce shoddy work. They can simply fail at what you need them to do or, take much longer and in extreme cases, they can be dangerous.

Apple actually started out more geared towards designers I believe. For Art and Design packages- they just seemed to be the superior machines. That may not be the case now. It obviously ISN'T the case with all that they make now. Still- I'll admit it- I have had a few Apple products in the past and they are beautifully designed and enjoyable to use. Mine were computers though- nothing about status there- no one would know I had it. It's more about what it could do at the time. By now of course- I'm sure other PC's can offer the same.

Still- say someone spends the majority of time on the road, or- the majority of time using a particular tool- isn't it natural for them to want to buy something they find enjoyable to use? They can of course be duped by a brand name but companies also must appreciate brand loyalty. They're not going to want to churn out crap if they have a good reputation to maintain.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
They're popular in China because it's a nouveau riche country. Everyone wants to flaunt their wealth and show off their status because they only recently became wealthy (since 2000). Before, China endured a century of humiliation and massive change and turmoil. The Chinese international students I went to college with (in America) all wore luxury brands (Chanel, YSL, Gucci, etc) to class. Even I have a Rolex (my dad got it for me, idk why), but I don't wear it. It's just a status symbol I guess.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SexyIncél
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
The Apple iPhone phenomenon is particularly interesting to me. While the original iPhone was very innovative for its time, the brand overall came to be criticised as both expensive and technologically conservative. Example: today's base iPhones still don't have high refresh-rate screens, which have been mainstream on Android for many years.

However, it can also be argued that formerly affordable Android flagships are nowadays almost as costly as iPhone. Also, Apple does have some advantages in its ecosystem and its hardware, too. The catch is that you pay dearly for it, which is a compromise that, in theory, only makes rational sense for a wealthy consumer.

This is my concern: Apple, which is now worth more than the entire GDP of Australia, are psychological masterminds. When I worked in retail, I learned that they have a secret rule to never have their phones displayed alongside a competing product. They simply treat competitors like they are nonexistent or illegitimate. Whenever Apple does belatedly introduce a new feature, their marketing boasts that it is 'magical', as if it has never been done before. Android supporters rant into the void. The end result is a weird cult that people are eager to get sucked into; it almost replaces the former role that religion used to have.

According to studies, 87% of (US?) teenagers have iPhones; thus, it is no longer a question of being a prestige brand, but a minimum standard. Failing to comply with the Cupertino mafia means bullying. Apple appears to have encouraged bullying of Android users with its controversial 'green bubble', where iMessage clearly shows that a message is from an Untermensch communicating from a non-Apple device.

There was another study showing that on dating apps, any visible Apple products make a user 76% more attractive. Now we're talking about something as primal as survival of the species. Women have been quoted as saying they would refuse to date a man who does not have an iPhone.

While I think highly of Apple's engineers, the whole scenario leaves me feeling alienated. When corporations have this level of power, yet no incentive to use it for anything but dystopian purposes, I feel that the result is just another nail in the coffin of any sort of relatable society.

trashprincess

trashprincess

She/Slur
Aug 8, 2023
My first job was putting flyers on mailboxes for a pizza place. And it was kind of like a scientific rule, that if you passed out enough pizza flyers, you would get more business that usually.

So marketing isn't just giving potential customers information, it's a call to action. A command to buy, not a request. And it turns out if you tell enough people to do something, enough of them will be like.. Sure 🤷‍♀️

A lot of this is just simply marketing. These brands have the most marketing, and most marketing targets young people. Also how brands are associated with identities, and people are taught to connect with themselves by buying things, which kids generally haven't learned to resist yet.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
There are couple of reasons -
1. Like you said STATUS !! As creatures of evolution it increases our mating chances if we appear more resourceful and successful compared to others. One really has to overcome this programming to value things beyond the superficial .

2. It's also about marking a milestone. If someone is wearing a rolex watch , he feels good about himself when he sees the time . "I really worked hard for this expensive watch " . This gives him an ego boost .

3. The quality. A lot of times the expensive thing is just better quality. If I eat at an expensive restaurant , there is a good chance that they use better quality ingredients and hygiene practices. If I buy a car from a BMW I know I will be more assured of replacement, reliability, maintainability than a car from a startup company .

4. Like you said Messaging!! Buy budlight and stand with trans rights, Buy Nike and stand with people of color ...

I have seen garment brands especially get away with just putting their logo on their shirt which magically inflates the price .
Exactly! 💯%

There used this brand that made Louis Vuitton luggage in the same factory as another brand of luggage and it was basically the same with a different logo.
Luxottica that giant conglomerate company that makes a lot of designer glasses in the same factory and everybody just license is out the rights to the names.

It to give other people the illusion that they have freedom. (It's about what the clothes represent, like with Jordans). Its just a money trap, it separates people from their money with the illusion of happiness.

But I do think investing in quality items and gear is the move. I think for example Arc'teryx makes good clothes. So do Duluth and JPress.
Sometimes people buy the cheap clothes thinking they'll save but when you buy the quality stuff it lasts twice as long and you look good, too. The when you buy say Porsche Design or Mont Claire or Bentley or whatever, you know the quality will be good.

And yes, marketing is very big!

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
Exactly! 💯%

There used this brand that made Louis Vuitton luggage in the same factory as another brand of luggage and it was basically the same with a different logo.
Luxottica that giant conglomerate company that makes a lot of designer glasses in the same factory and everybody just license is out the rights to the names.

It to give other people the illusion that they have freedom. (It's about what the clothes represent, like with Jordans). Its just a money trap, it separates people from their money with the illusion of happiness.

But I do think investing in quality items and gear is the move. I think for example Arc'teryx makes good clothes. So do Duluth and JPress.
Sometimes people buy the cheap clothes thinking they'll save but when you buy the quality stuff it lasts twice as long and you look good, too. The when you buy say Porsche Design or Mont Claire or Bentley or whatever, you know the quality will be good.

And yes, marketing is very big!

Did you see my DM?