Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.0%

• Total voters
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
South Korea and Japan have a very high suicide rate among people. I don't know if it's because of our culture or possibly our genes?
Honestly, I don't think it's bc of genes - it's bc of society and the drill and that everyone has to be the best in everything and all the social pressures that are coming along with this in the Asian world.

Reactions: Bleneviola, pthnrdnojvsc and sserafim
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
But the question is if we Asians (especially Kor and Jap ones) aren't more prone to get depressed. And depression leads to desire to ctb
Oh, my bad. I misread the question. To answer your question, I do think that asians are more prone to get depressed due to how asian culture is super strict on academic and work performance. Within the asian culture, there's a lot of pressure to conform to the expectations that their parents want from them which is usually perfect grades. Working to get perfect grades is time consuming, takes a lot of energy and simply isn't something that everybody can achieve no matter how hard they try.

Not to mention that japan's work conditions is awful

Reactions: Oneness, sserafim, sugarb and 2 others
yellowjester

yellowjester

Experienced
Jun 2, 2024
I don't think it's really common for other black people to die via suicide but we aren't really known as the group that gets the best healthcare out there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but aren't black communities in the US very prone to superstition (in a religious sense)? I don't think genetics play a role here; it all comes down to the culture you grow up in.

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
But the question is if we Asians (especially Kor and Jap ones) aren't more prone to get depressed. And depression leads to desire to ctb
The big question is why are people so much more depressed? "Depression" is a biological protection of our brains when we are overwhelmed. Nowadays society is often overwhelming and there're pressures everywhere - pressures to be the best - and then there is depression - our brains try to protect us but this makes everything worse for us bc nowadays society has nothing to do with our natural environment where those protection mechanisms once worked.

In my case, I'm suicidal bc of failure in life and the follows are financial problems - I'm be suicidal regardless of my race!

Reactions: Oneness and mckf
Minsu

Minsu

♀️🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
The big question is why are people so much more depressed? "Depression" is a biological protection of our brains when we are overwhelmed. Nowadays society is often overwhelming and there're pressures everywhere - pressures to be the best - and then there is depression - our brains try to protect us but this makes everything worse for us bc nowadays society has nothing to do with our natural environment where those protection mechanisms once worked.

In my case, I'm suicidal bc of failure in life and the follows are financial problems - I'm be suicidal regardless of my race!
I see! I was depressed since like 2014 and fir the first 5-6 tears I was depressed for no reason. I actually had 0 problems back then

I don't think it's because of genes either, probably our cultures play a big role in this.

But on the other hand East Asians have some genes that make us a bit different in comparison to other ethnicities.
For example we get "asian flush syndrome" when we drink alcohol or we don't need to use deodorant sticks because our sweat doesn't smell bad at all.

But I don't think we have a specific gene for getting depressed, thus suicidal. But who knows..

Last edited:
P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
I see! I was depressed since like 2014 and fir the first 5-6 tears I was depressed for no reason. I actually had 0 problems back then
There are probably many more reasons why people can become depressed at any age. That whole thing is very complex.

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
But on the other hand East Asians have some genes that make us a bit different in comparison to other ethnicities.
For example we get "asian flush syndrome" when we drink alcohol or we don't need to use deodorant sticks because our sweat doesn't smell bad at all.

But I don't think we have a specific gene for getting depressed, thus suicidal. But who knows..
I heard about that thing with alc. That has sth to do with enzymes in the liver (that is probably genetic). I strongly believe that general depression occurs due to external circumstances we are exposed to during our life time and environment - no babies are born depressed and suicidal. However, there may be genetic reasons for a dysfunctional brain.

N33dT0D13

N33dT0D13

Xe/It
Apr 2, 2023
Mixed, I remember my mom (Black) telling me that wanting to kill yourself was a white person thing lmao 🙃 (my dad isn't white either for clarification)

• Yay!
Reactions: Oneness and Minsu
Minsu

Minsu

♀️🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
I heard about that thing with alc. That has sth to do with enzymes in the liver (that is probably genetic). I strongly believe that general depression occurs due to external circumstances we are exposed to during our life time and environment - no babies are born depressed and suicidal. However, there may be genetic reasons for a dysfunctional brain.
I agree, but you know what. I know some people who have at least as bad situation as me, but they're not depressed at all. Their brain doesn't produce depression for some reason

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
I agree, but you know what. I know some people who have at least as bad situation as me, but they're not depressed at all. Their brain doesn't produce depression for some reason
Some people can bear more than others, maybe they have coping mechanisms to deal better with their personal situations. Idk, depression is a complex thing.

Reactions: Roseate
revontulet

revontulet

Aug 4, 2024
White European. They say that Finland is the happiest country in the world but we have more suicides than other Nordic countries. I don't think it's about genes. I think it's a cultural thing and culture affects a lot.

T

ThisIsMe1357

Student
May 20, 2024
I am white and in my case it absolutely does not matter.

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
South Korea and Japan have a very high suicide rate among people. I don't know if it's because of our culture or possibly our genes? 🤔

Just write how you voted in the comments
Suicide isn't due to ethnicity-related genetics so far as I know, it's mostly cultural and/or mental

that said- white (welsh/british) and not at all.
Mixed, I remember my mom (Black) telling me that wanting to kill yourself was a white person thing lmao 🙃 (my dad isn't white either for clarification)
I remember reading some disturbing statistics about black SH/suicide
apparently it's much higher than previously thought for black women, despite the whole "black girls don't cut" cultural thing. Anecdotal but my black gf cuts

Last edited:
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
black guy here. Wow. In the minority brackets. I think when it comes to race the issue will be that some races in particular, whites and asians, from birth are forced to have to excel in life. Their whole existence is basically being the best. If u don't u deemed a failure. Black people well we expeced to fail. Soooooo... yh. And well in life as all of us know. U will encounter many setbacks. So, with a background of having to succeed else u a failure, u most likely to end up on sites like this if u white/asian. If I offended anyone .... SORRY

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: sugarb and tsykoais
Cyagangy

Cyagangy

Self Immolation fr fr
Apr 27, 2024
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but aren't black communities in the US very prone to superstition (in a religious sense)? I don't think genetics play a role here; it all comes down to the culture you grow up in.
Not at all! True black people tend to be very super sitcious but it really depends upon where you are raised. For example I live in the South so we still have stuff like "don't walk under ladders" "don't use outside broom inside". From my whole living experience most black people are Christian and I am aswell but another thing I have noticed is many black women being diagnosed with bipolar. Maybe those genes that my mother has are inside of me.

Reactions: yellowjester
tsykoais

tsykoais

i can't drown my demons they know how to swim
Apr 9, 2023
I use to think I was the only suicidal Black person in the world. Now I know their are at least three others.

black guy here. Wow. In the minority brackets. I think when it comes to race the issue will be that some races in particular, whites and asians, from birth are forced to have to excel in life. Their whole existence is basically being the best. If u don't u deemed a failure. Black people well we expeced to fail. Soooooo... yh. And well in life as all of us know. U will encounter many setbacks. So, with a background of having to succeed else u a failure, u most likely to end up on sites like this if u white/asian. If I offended anyone .... SORRY
the truth is there is a lot of us, but we are alienated by not just other races but ourselves as well. as someone that grew up in a tough majority black neighborhood we're told that showing emotions is "white people shit." the suicide rates in the us for hispanic and black people have been rising in the us like crazy.

eta: on the meant to excel thing, and it works opposite for us in the black community when we talk properly and succeed in life by trying to get an education we're alienated by other black and accused of "acting or talking white.". super weird.

Last edited:
Spectre

Spectre

I am serious about not taking things seriously
Nov 27, 2023
the truth is there is a lot of us, but we are alienated by not just other races but ourselves as well. as someone that grew up in a tough majority black neighborhood we're told that showing emotions is "white people shit." the suicide rates in the us for hispanic and black people have been rising in the us like crazy.

eta: on the meant to excel thing, and it works opposite for us in the black community when we talk properly and succeed in life by trying to get an education we're alienated by other black and accused of "acting or talking white.". super weird.
This may be true for African-Americans but I'm a Nigerian immigrant, I'm nothing like y'all. Bye!!!!

tsykoais

tsykoais

Apr 9, 2023
Abuse and maltreatment is very normalized amongst BIPOC households
i notice that the overlap between all bipoc cultures is that no matter what we're all told/expected to just suck it up no matter the extent of the emotional/physical abuse our parents inflicted on us because our grandparents did the same to our parents and so on.
This may be true for African-Americans but I'm a Nigerian immigrant, I'm nothing like y'all. Bye!!!!
i'm a west african….

eta: being west african and growing up around black americans meant i had to deal with the negative aspects of both cultures. you said black so i didn't mention west african culture only black culture. also i know you're not from america but african-americans can be nigerian/west african immigrants hence the term african-american, black american/ados is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvisceratedJester
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
i notice that the overlap between all bipoc cultures is that no matter what we're all told/expected to just suck it up no matter the extent of the emotional/physical abuse our parents inflicted on us because our grandparents did the same to our parents and so on.
On the bright side, I have been noticing an increase in younger BIPOC acknowledging this issue and working to break this cycle (at least in the West).

• Hugs
Reactions: tsykoais
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
It's most likely a combination of genetics and environment. At least, that is the theory that most recent research on the topic supports. A person that is naturally more sensitive, either emotionally or has an overactive nervous system, who also experiences trauma or adverse life experiences is more likely to develop depression and other mental health issues than someone who is born with a much less sensitive temperament, who may not have any negative lasting effects from abuse at all.

This is why I hate arguments along the lines of, "well the same thing happened to so-and-so and they are doing fine, are successful, so it's no big deal". Everyone responds to things differently, based on their genes and inborn temperament

Additionally, there is the theory of self-directed aggression vs other-directed aggression. People who are abused are likely to harbor aggression, but whether it is self-directed (self-hatred, depression, self-harm, CTB) or other-directed (violence) is likely due to individual personality.

Sorry for the rambling, this is something I'm very interested in and think is an important factor in discussions about mental health. To be honest though I don't know much about differences in genes related to mental health among different races

Last edited:
Reactions: AtotheL
rokonie

rokonie

Jun 3, 2024
East asian here and yeah, definitely a taboo thing to talk about depression and suicide (at least in my family still). The whole time I knew my uncle's wife (since I was like 10) i didn't know her sister committed suicide. No one even spoke of her name in that family.
I think my culture and gender affects the method that i'll likely go with if i end up deciding to ctb. I don't want something overly gorey and messy, if anything it would be great if i could make it look accidental so i don't disappoint my parents one last time lol.

DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
Never voted "mixed" before. ⅔ caucasian, ⅓ American Indian.
American Indians have poor genetics when it comes to mental health...

etherealspring

etherealspring

can someone just kill me already
Mar 27, 2024
South Korea and Japan have a very high suicide rate among people. I don't know if it's because of our culture or possibly our genes? 🤔

Just write how you voted in the comments
I'm mixed, asian british. my mum is from south korea, and has said that she "doesn't believe i have depression." not long ago she was saying that she "didn't believe in mental health" until i had to take sertraline for a while. even so, she wasn't a particularly strict parent, at least in asian parent standards lol. but i think this is a mix of cultural and generational difference. i say there's a generational difference, because my dad who's fully british said very similar things.

all that being said, I grew up in the UK. i think it's the culture + society in korean / japan that causes suicide in people, rather than genetics. more specifically, one's own upbringing and quality of life is what causes it. i even think that certain personalities could be more naturally drawn to suicide than others, though this is just a personal theory.

at least i know for sure, whatever race / ethnicity i was, or wherever i grew up, id still be suicidal.

sorry if this wasnt super coherent i was rambling quite a bit lmao. i hope i still kinda got my point across tho

• Hugs
Reactions: Minsu
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
I don't think it's really common for other black people to die via suicide but we aren't really known as the group that gets the best healthcare out there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like your pfp. ❤️ Maya.

AtotheL

AtotheL

May 14, 2024
I think for black people there's a lot of pressure to fit into pretty rigid roles and anyone that doesn't comfortably fit into them is ostracized by the community at large. Not sure how much this applies to black women but I really feel it as a black dude.

Minsu

Minsu

♀️🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
I'm mixed, asian british. my mum is from south korea, and has said that she "doesn't believe i have depression." not long ago she was saying that she "didn't believe in mental health" until i had to take sertraline for a while. even so, she wasn't a particularly strict parent, at least in asian parent standards lol. but i think this is a mix of cultural and generational difference. i say there's a generational difference, because my dad who's fully british said very similar things.

all that being said, I grew up in the UK. i think it's the culture + society in korean / japan that causes suicide in people, rather than genetics. more specifically, one's own upbringing and quality of life is what causes it. i even think that certain personalities could be more naturally drawn to suicide than others, though this is just a personal theory.

at least i know for sure, whatever race / ethnicity i was, or wherever i grew up, id still be suicidal.

sorry if this wasnt super coherent i was rambling quite a bit lmao. i hope i still kinda got my point across tho
I hate to hear that someone questions about the existence of depression. My dad does that too :/

• Hugs
Reactions: etherealspring
Spectre

Spectre

I am serious about not taking things seriously
Nov 27, 2023

i'm a west african….

eta: being west african and growing up around black americans meant i had to deal with the negative aspects of both cultures. you said black so i didn't mention west african culture only black culture. also i know you're not from america but african-americans can be nigerian/west african immigrants hence the term african-american, black american/ados is different.
In Canada it's much different. Most Black people here are first or second gen immigrants from Africa. I have never even met a classical African-American until highschool and even up till today I've only really encountered them when travelling so I do consider African-Americans to be culturally very different from West Africans. While I agree with the emotional "suck it up mentality" the expected to fail thing is more of an African-American trait. I was never expected to fail and no one from my friends families expected them too either. African-American culture is really flawed when it comes to this aspect if you ask me.

tsykoais

tsykoais

Apr 9, 2023
While I agree with the emotional "suck it up mentality" the expected to fail thing is more of an African-American trait.
in the us "african-americans" and "black americans/ados" are two completely different classifications. my parents are west africans (mali and mauritania) and i'm first generation in the us making me african-american. you said black so i assumed you were talking about black culture which is different in the us but you're from canada. it gets tricky because while you're considered black in canada you wouldn't be considered "black" culturally in the us by other black americans who descend from slavery. so yeah african-americans are considered black racially but not black in the cultural aspect.
I was never expected to fail and no one from my friends families expected them too either.
yeah, studying/working hard was prioritized for me and i was actually pressured to succeed however growing up around other black americans i was told i acted and talked white.

Last edited:
ADBoy777

ADBoy777

Student
May 16, 2024
Middle eastern here.
I never checked but I think suicide rate here is quite low