• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

myopia

myopia

on earth, we’re briefly gorgeous.
Apr 8, 2024
Hello!

I'm one week out from my CTB date, and I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding how suicide news coverage works. Like, what's the likelihood that the news will cover my suicide? Do they have to get permission from my family first? Is there anything I can do to protect my privacy?

Here are the facts:
  • I'm 20F, USA
  • My CTB will be in an out-of-state chain hotel with a partner
  • I am using SN
  • I live in a relatively small town that's very gossipy
  • I was class president of my high school
On a slightly related note, does the police investigate suicides? Will they go through my phone? Will my family have to be interviewed? Are they going to try to track down my SN source? If anyone could provide answers to any of these questions, I would be very grateful. I want this to be as clean and easy as possible for my family, so I'm trying to think proactively.

steppingoff

steppingoff

Experienced
Jan 18, 2024
In most western media it would not be mentioned and treated as a private matter unless there is something very unusual about it.

It doesn't mean someone in social media wouldn't post it

The police may investigate but they usually have limited resources.

M

mehdone

Mortician
Oct 10, 2023
It is very unlikely that you would end up on the news. There is this false assumption that reporting on suicides makes others more likely to do it.

Typically, no, they wouldn't necessarily go through your phone if it was locked, but if it was me, I'd wipe it first.

Yes, the police and the coroner will investigate. Family wouldn't typically need to be interviewed.

HOWEVER- you mentioned doing it with a partner, and that is a completely different ball of wax. They will likely do a much deeper dive to determine if it was a suicide/suicide or a murder/suicide. And that may hit the news- and no, there is no way to protect your privacy, it is public record. Family wouldn't need to give permission for your name to be disclosed.

I would find it unlikely that they would track down your SN source- it is a legal thing in the US. This is not like selling someone narcotics that they overdosed and died on.

sash

sash

f/uk seeking partner to vanish with
Oct 1, 2023
Hi.
As has been said. Social media.
One person finds out locally. Word spreads.
Also if slow week in local paper, possibly.
Sorry.

Reactions: myopia
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
The small town part of your story does make it seem a bit more likely to happen if it's an especially slow news day and if you're the first such documented case in their locale.

The partner aspect also may complicate things as others have said.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
As mentioned suicides are usually hush hushed to avoid copycat suicides but the fact that it's with a partner and the current heat of SN and the small town.... there is a possibility.

H

hadenough58

Mar 7, 2024
Depends where you live, I live in small town where it would certainly be front page news in the local paper and thier website but if I still lived in London it would not even get a mention.

Z

zaddylicious

Apr 7, 2024
just do don't do it on a famous bridge in California they cover suicides that happen on the Golden Gate Bridge and Coronado Bridge

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Definitely going to be investigated, and that includes going through your phone if possible. A double suicide? Yeah, the news will pick up on that. If you're lucky, they'll report the story before names are released, thus only reporting it in general terms. They may, or may not do a follow-up once the names of the decedents are released. They may, though, update the story on their website. The more sensational the suicide, the more likely it will be reported. The public likes juicy stories and the news stations like ratings. Do the math.

cowboypants

cowboypants

May 7, 2024
A double suicide will likely get a lot of public attention