• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I don't think anyone is thinking about qualifications when they drop their suggestions. It's more like a popularity contest, who is the most liked among its peers.
This is only partially true. People tend to suggest those they deem more reasonable WITHIN the restricted group of members they like.

To me it's the age old popularity contest but also useful information for potential applicants.

Reactions: nena21
Sibyl Vane

Sibyl Vane

Experienced
May 28, 2022
This is only partially true. People tend to suggest those they deem more reasonable WITHIN the restricted group of members they like.

To me it's the age old popularity contest but also useful information for potential applicants.
I honestly doubt that the probable qualifications of the people been named are known by the ones who are naming them.

And I don't see how it may be useful since there is no further information being given beyond their names.

But, of course, I may be wrong. The guy who posted his whole CV was pretty good, would definitely have my vote. :pfff:

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I honestly doubt that the probable qualifications of the people been named are known by the ones who are naming them.

And I don't see how it may be useful since there is no further information being given beyond their names.

But, of course, I may be wrong. The guy who posted his whole CV was pretty good, would definitely have my vote. :pfff:
It's useful for them as it encourages them to step up as someone else prior said.

What you suggest as more useful would certainly become more of a popularity contest: that people should list the reasons why they suggest someone.

I dunno about the others but I recommended people based on how empathetic or level headed I think they are, on top of not loathing them.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Nominating other members seems to be a terrible idea. In another timeline, the likes of Sherri and motel rooms could have been mods if enough peoples' opinions were taken into consideration.

In the spirit of nominating though I know of some who definitely shouldn't be a mod, well mainly just me. I don't know who I'd actually recommend either. I think there may be some good candidates but who knows if they'd actually want or be able to do the job. I used to think Snake of Eden's mod status made sense though so maybe I'm completely wrong in this regard.

Sorry for wasting peoples' time by using this thread to berate myself again.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Nominating other members seems to be a terrible idea. In another timeline, the likes of Sherri and motel rooms could have been mods if enough peoples' opinions were taken into consideration.
Fully agree with this, historically the most popular users of this forum have been the lovebombers, those who work the room, rack up one hell of a post count very quickly with an insatiable enthusiasm for empathy hugs, spend half their time in chat, an unstoppable juggernaut of cutesy goodwill which puts themselves front and centre at all times before finally being revealed as not all that met the eye several months down the line.

Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018

In the spirit of nominating though I know of some who definitely shouldn't be a mod, well mainly just me. I don't know who I'd actually recommend either. I think there may be some good candidates but who knows if they'd actually want or be able to do the job. I used to think Snake of Eden's mod status made sense though so maybe I'm completely wrong in this regard.

Sorry for wasting peoples' time by using this thread to berate myself again.
Sherri as a mod, eh? Ara ara.

I think being a mod is hard and stressful work. You'll ban someone and people will complain, you'll not ban someone and people will complain, you have to write warnings, you have to explain why you did or didn't ban or warn someone, you have to check the forums regularly and can't take a sweet three week vacation. You'll also have to spend five hours thinking if "I like hot people like I like coffee, in a cup in liquid form" breaks the rules or not.

I agree it shouldn't be a popularity contest nor should you nominate someone just because you're friends with them. I still recall when on one forum some guy was a friend of the mods/admins, got modded against his will, the guy then started complaining "I didn't want to be modded, I only had 50 posts and have been a member only for a few months! Besides, I told you idiots I hate this forum and that I'm gonna leave this site! De-mod me right now!".

Wait, was Snake a mod? I didn't remember that.

Don't worry. Yours was a good post!

Sibyl Vane

Sibyl Vane

Experienced
May 28, 2022
What you suggest as more useful would certainly become more of a popularity contest: that people should list the reasons why they suggest someone.
Quite the opposite, it would narrow down the options significantly since I believe it would be hard for most to come up with anything further as "they're very nice" or the most important factor: "they never disagreed with me in anything."

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Fully agree with this, historically the most popular users of this forum have been the lovebombers, those who work the room, rack up one hell of a post count very quickly with an insatiable enthusiasm for empathy hugs, spend half their time in chat, an unstoppable juggernaut of cutesy goodwill which puts themselves front and centre at all times before finally being revealed as not all that met the eye several months down the line.

When I joined the forum and started seeing the trend I had assumed everyone would be as instinctively repulsed by the sickly sweet posts you refer to as I. They're so transparently indicative of over compesation and/or hidden demons. Usually proportionately so IMHO. I was going to say, quite lazily that it surprises me that I'm wrong but that's not entirely true. I'm jaded enough to be numbed to such surprises. It is disappointing and a little disconcerting though.

Last edited:
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Wait, was Snake a mod? I didn't remember that.
Snake of Eden was a mod, yes. That was back when I joined and she had a Gundam or mecha pfp.
Because it´s so much better to be a transparent jerk that has verged on expulsion himself, right? You're absolutely laughable.

Last edited:
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
"verged on expulsion", what the fuck does this even mean, and also your obsession with me as an individual is totally fucking disturbing at this point.
I think it might be a reference to your ban/unban inccident.

Tbh I think it IS actually better to be transparent (whatever you are, jerk or otherwise) than hide it. That's not to say working on your shortcomings should be off the table. Hiding it isn't a virtue of any kind though.

Not that I'm looking to get into a debate here. I'd really prefer not to! Everyone is welcome to their opinions and views. Much in line with my sentiments above.

Last edited:
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
I think it might be a reference to your ban/unban inccident.

Tbh I think it IS actually better to be transparent (whatever you are, jerk or otherwise) than hide it. That's not to say working on your shortcomings should be off the table. Hiding it isn't a virtue of any kind though.
Yeah l know what it's a reference to, l just find his incorrect take on it, and repeated reference to it as such, to be further indicative of his weird fixation rather than be anything near an accurate observation.

(for the record btw yes l do think it's better to be upfront about yourself rather than be a cutesy lovebomber or vapid attention seeker who ends up harrassing in the dms, building up phoney relationships in order to scam further down the line, manipulate others emotionally in various ways, l do however get that some people on here are way too enthusiastic about the prospect of seeing me banned to accept that this position is not a controversial one)

Last edited:
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I don't think anyone is thinking about qualifications when they drop their suggestions. It's more like a popularity contest, who is the most liked among its peers.
I do think that they are really looking for someone who will fairly go by the rules of the site as closely as they can, while trying to minimize issues. They also need someone who isn't hoping to ctb soon, which eliminates a lot of people- that's one reason I wouldn't check into it, I wish I was gone months ago, and I hope it's soon. Of course one thing to look for is people who are trying to minimize conflicts between members in a tactful way, and someone who can use good judgment for when the conflicts are too much and someone needs to be banned- the toughest call to make, and a last resort for people who are in so much need,

Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020

You're probably right that it's turning into a popularity contest. I'm sure RainAndSadness will find someone good to fill the ranks, and maybe she already has. Whoever it is, I wish them luck.

When I joined the forum and started seeing the trend I had assumed everyone would be as instinctively repulsed by the sickly sweet posts you refer to as I. They're so transparently indicative of over compesation and/or hidden demons. Usually proportionately so IMHO. I was going to say, quite lazily that it surprises me that I'm wrong but that's not entirely true. I'm jaded enough to be numbed to such surprises. It is disappointing and a little disconcerting though.

I hope this isn't the impression that people get from me. There are probably times when I unintentionally do the love bomb thing, but I have my fair share of demons, possibly literally, as well as figuratively, so maybe that's why I do it. It feels like I'm always over compensating for something.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I hope this isn't the impression that people get from me. There are probably times when I unintentionally do the love bomb thing, but I have my fair share of demons, possibly literally, as well as figuratively, so maybe that's why I do it. It feels like I'm always over compensating for something.
Beware of falling into the trap that seeing someone denouncing narcissistic behavior means they can't be narcissists themselves.

If you think about it, there's a lot of narcissist supply in highlighting the flaws or inconsistencies of other people as it indirectly improves your moral standing by contrast, not to mention how it underlines your good judgement and sound mind.

This is one of the primary ways in which the mass media or any powerful social institution gains trust from the populace. People find hard to believe those that have ostensibly fought disinformation would disseminate disinformation themselves.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Beware of falling into the trap that seeing someone denouncing narcissistic behavior means they can't be narcissists themselves.

If you think about it, there's a lot of narcissist supply in highlighting the flaws or inconsistencies of other people as it indirectly improves your moral standing by contrast, not to mention how it underlines your good judgement and sound mind.
Describing conduct which has been seen on numerous times on this forum and recognising how it clearly plays out does not warrant your oblique psychopathologising, l appreciate my presence on here makes it slightly more difficult for you to establish yourself as king of turd mountain and turn this place into a playground for your cronies but fucking hell man, the obsessive way you try and make everything about me as an individual is absolutely pathetic.

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Sherri as a mod, eh? Ara ara.

She did actually ask - repeatedly.

I think being a mod is hard and stressful work. You'll ban someone and people will complain, you'll not ban someone and people will complain, you have to write warnings, you have to explain why you did or didn't ban or warn someone, you have to check the forums regularly and can't take a sweet three week vacation. You'll also have to spend five hours thinking if "I like hot people like I like coffee, in a cup in liquid form" breaks the rules or not.

You're right, this isn't always an easy task but it's not that dramatic. Yeah, sometimes you have to make an unpopular decision, that's not comfortable. But most of us moderate when they find time. It's not a full-time job. Every moderator deals with their own problems, me included by the way and I understand that. The staff is a reflection of the community, struggling people regulate a struggling community. I think that's what makes this community so great. There is a different level of understanding here and definitely less judgement in my opinion.

Last edited:
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
Just to be clear here btw l don't get that impression from you and it shouldn't bother you if it does, l was pointing out that the overwhelming majority of accounts which have brought harm on people here have been of the nature described above, motel rooms and Sherri have already been mentioned but they both utilised the lovebomb when it served their own interests, the NYT article featured such a person who was quick to ingratiate and happy to spam affectionate dms and profile posts, pretty much every scammer who arrives here finds it very easy to integrate with a phoney hugs veneer, the high number of fakers, bullshitters and manipulators who have passed through here have done precisely this and it's these people who ultimately do harm to people on his forum, far more than those who publicly post in a more direct fashion.

Tldr: not all lovebombers are frauds, but the very vast majority of frauds are lovebombers.

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Very generous of you to assume that I'm not a narcissist myself. Maybe all of us are! DUN DUN DUN!!!

:pfff:
Well I actually fit some of the description of a vulnerable narcissist and my grandmother was one, hence my interest in it. But there's a difference between having a disorder and letting it run amok. If you're aware of your issues they don't disappear, but tend to only come up when you get too comfortable or in moments of high stress.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I will vote for
@Brick In The Wall
@Simba
@whatevs

Wait, since when do we do democratic voting?

It's because you have to pass the chunin exams first.
I couldn't even moderate lol im terrible at moderating groups plus I'd probably get more mental strain as much as i like been in forum I don't think I'd be able to moderate anything eitherway. Besides ,i don't exactly like arguments n stuff n I don't wanna get hate n what not for moderating ,sorry

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I couldn't post a cv. I don't have a life!

• Hugs
Reactions: newave3