Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
UK London Ambulance say they are attending on average 37 suicides or attempted suicides per day, jesus that's some jump, 37 X 365 = 13,505.

Cheers

Geo

UPDATE

Well according to the Evening Standard it's 40 per day and it's only for the London area so if you add the rest of the UK, Jesus, we are looking at 20,000/30,000

Cheers

Geo

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: Celerity, GoneGirl, Vault of Memories and 9 others
elfgyoza

elfgyoza

Cursed
Aug 5, 2019
UK London Ambulance say they are attending on average 37 suicides or attempted suicides per day, jesus that's some jump, 37 X 365 = 13,505.

Cheers

Geo

It's a pretty shocking stat, but I can't say I'm totally surprised. It's been increasing for years even without covid. The isolation and financial pressure has probably made it worse this year

Reactions: Celerity, ready 2 go, sarahR and 4 others
StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
It'll be 370 per day before long.

• Wow
Reactions: Jumper Geo
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
It'll be 370 per day before long.

It could be much higher as we are still in lockdown and they are estimating so somedays may have been higher or lower it's usally hard to get any figures on suicides in the UK, they release them a few years later so I was surprised they mentioned it, now lets see if the media mention the figures or hush them up.

Cheers

Geo

Last edited:
Reactions: StuFin
shay23

shay23

Student
Nov 2, 2020
Gosh, it's scary. It's crazy how much attention the pandemic gets when suicide has the lethality of a pandemic but people don't care about it.

Reactions: GoneGirl, elfgyoza, ready 2 go and 8 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I wonder how much the suicide rate increased as the Roman Empire decayed and fell or as the great Mesoamerican Empire was conquered and subsumed by the Spanish. An inevitable symptom of societal illness. It will increase. And the people that denounce suicide will start to realise that the rules they apply to others, don't apply to them.

Reactions: virginiawoolf, Sprite_Geist, NightmareTour and 2 others
R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
Only already in London??? That's a hell of a lot.......
And this is only the known number.
And, I know I am not the only one, but it is in some way strange to read that you are just one of many others every fucking day. Well, sounds a bit selfish, but I hope you know what I mean, for me it is that one day where I possible lost my life, where my loved ones lost me. And there so many others in just the same situation. Difficult to explain in english, sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoneGirl, elfgyoza and Jumper Geo
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thing is...if I was suicidal, I'd turn to the internet to research, naturally. And I'd inevitably come here. I did. I wonder how many of those poor souls have come here compared to how many haven't. This place is vilified, but the real crime is that so many find themselves in such a hopeless place to start with.

Reactions: sufferingalways, GoneGirl, Regen and 2 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I'm sure the number is much higher when you count in the people that don't call in or deemed not important enough to be a statistic.

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: Celerity, GoneGirl, Regen and 5 others
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Everytime I read an articule about a person committing suicide in The Sun online Newspaper they have this message at the bottom, I new months back they should have halfed it to 45 minutes.

YOU'RE NOT ALONE
EVERY 90 minutes in the UK a life is lost to suicide.
It doesn't discriminate, touching the lives of people in every corner of society - from the homeless and unemployed to builders and doctors, reality stars and footballers.
It's the biggest killer of people under the age of 35, more deadly than cancer and car crashes.
And men are three times more likely to take their own life than women.
Yet it's rarely spoken of, a taboo that threatens to continue its deadly rampage unless we all stop and take notice, now.
That is why The Sun launched the You're Not Alone campaign.
The aim is that by sharing practical advice, raising awareness and breaking down the barriers people face when talking about their mental health, we can all do our bit to help save lives.
Let's all vow to ask for help when we need it, and listen out for others... You're Not Alone.
If you, or anyone you know, needs help dealing with mental health problems, the following organisations provide support:
Cheers

Geo

Reactions: SmellyRat
SmellyRat

SmellyRat

Arcanist
Nov 5, 2018
Everytime I read an articule about a person committing suicide in The Sun online Newspaper they have this message at the bottom, I new months back they should have halfed it to 45 minutes.

YOU'RE NOT ALONE
EVERY 90 minutes in the UK a life is lost to suicide.
It doesn't discriminate, touching the lives of people in every corner of society - from the homeless and unemployed to builders and doctors, reality stars and footballers.
It's the biggest killer of people under the age of 35, more deadly than cancer and car crashes.
And men are three times more likely to take their own life than women.
Yet it's rarely spoken of, a taboo that threatens to continue its deadly rampage unless we all stop and take notice, now.
That is why The Sun launched the You're Not Alone campaign.
The aim is that by sharing practical advice, raising awareness and breaking down the barriers people face when talking about their mental health, we can all do our bit to help save lives.
Let's all vow to ask for help when we need it, and listen out for others... You're Not Alone.
If you, or anyone you know, needs help dealing with mental health problems, the following organisations provide support:
Cheers

Geo
Tyler Durden - We are the middle children of history, with no purpose or place. We have no great war, or great depression. The great war is a spiritual war. The great depression is our lives :heart:

Reactions: sufferingalways, ready 2 go, sarahR and 3 others
Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Faster We Run, And We Die Young
Aug 29, 2020
The constantly grey skies probably have something to do with that.

• Hugs
Reactions: ready 2 go and Jumper Geo
StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
There was another woman the other day who it seems poured petrol over herself then set herself on fire (unless someone set her on fire, but it sounded like she did it to herself). That's 2 in 2 weeks.

If people are so desperate they'll take that way out things must be bad.

Reactions: virginiawoolf and Jumper Geo
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Damn that's a lot of people
I mean I know London is huge but that's a pretty shocking number jesus

• Hugs
Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Faster We Run, And We Die Young
Aug 29, 2020
There was another woman the other day who it seems poured petrol over herself then set herself on fire (unless someone set her on fire, but it sounded like she did it to herself). That's 2 in 2 weeks.

If people are so desperate they'll take that way out things must be bad.

Usually it's a serious mental illness that makes them do that. I don't think any sane person is going to douse themselves in petrol.

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
It could be much higher as we are still in lockdown and they are estimating so somedays may have been higher or lower it's usally hard to get any figures on suicides in the UK, they release them a few years later so I was surprised they mentioned it, now lets see if the media mention the figures or hush them up.

Cheers

Geo
So true geo its such a hush job. Every so often you hear people on the news speculating on how covid will affect MH and suicide rates, but no stats. Iin fairness i know tgey are released yearly i think. Im surprised the ambulance service released this.
Tbe government simply cant have this sort of data published as it will show the colateral damage caused by lockdowns and economic decline, at a time when we are being told that lockdowns will save many lives. The sad thing is that suicide will be on tbe death certificates and not covid. Its like our government is so focused on stopping covid that the massive collateral damage has not been given much thought.

• Hugs
Reactions: virginiawoolf, elfgyoza, ready 2 go and 3 others
Dead beat dad

Dead beat dad

Enlightened
Mar 5, 2019
The number of people ctb on a daily basis is awful.
Sadly its not a surprise either.
Several people said that the kind of socioeconomic fallout from covid (that being the times we're living in) would end up killing many more than the virus (and that's just the immediate deaths, not to mention the burden on those that remain)
But in the UK I'm a Celebrity is now on so dance monkeys, DANCE!

• Hugs
Reactions: StuFin, demuic, Jumper Geo and 1 other person
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
So true geo its such a hush job. Every so often you hear people on the news speculating on how covid will affect MH and suicide rates, but no stats. Iin fairness i know tgey are released yearly i think. Im surprised the ambulance service released this.
Tbe government simply cant have this sort of data published as it will show the colateral damage caused by lockdowns and economic decline, at a time when we are being told that lockdowns will save many lives. The sad thing is that suicide will be on tbe death certificates and not covid. Its like our government is so focused on stopping covid that the massive collateral damage has not been given much thought.

Shocking thing I read was it was 40 people in the London area so if you add it up, it must be 20K things look bad as the Covid-19 cases are still rising I think SS should be keeping statisics as they have a case if it came to it only as an example they could say we had 2000 goodbye threads and the UK had 20, 000 suicides.

Students are in a vulnerable position because of lockdown, sadly a young boy CTB.

But in the UK I'm a Celebrity is now on so dance monkeys, DANCE!
[/QUOTE]

Lol I already predicted the winner on my predict a future event, lol
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/make-one-future-prediction.53480/post-974049

Cheers

Geo

Reactions: Mm80
StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
There were 5961 suicides in England and Wales in 2019, that's 16 per day.

I guess most of the 37 per day in London must be failed attempts?

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
There were 5961 suicides in England and Wales in 2019, that's 16 per day.

I guess most of the 37 per day in London must be failed attempts?

The media certainly hush suicicdes up I new suicides were rising there were a few cases of pretty young ladies CTB and when I watched GMB or This Morning a Polititan was questioned about mental health and he spurted out suicicdes have doubled which shocked everyone, it's understandable there are millions of lonely people and we were trapped at home.

Cheers

Geo

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: sufferingalways and StuFin