• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
My research on depression has led me to discover that there is anecdotal evidence that Tramadol at a sensible and steady dose of 50mg a day (with occasional tolerance breaks) can be miraculous for treatment resistant depression. There are 83 reviews giving it 10 out of 10 on the link below - and lots of these people had tried a range of anti-depressants with no relief.

For any of us without addictive personalities, for whom Tramadol might be risky - this could be a good avenue to try. The side effects are much better than anti-depressants. It's only dangerous (seizures) at high doses, and also to be sensible with it to avoid addiction.

Here are some reviews:

I am trying St John's Wort at the moment, and can't combine it - but once I've given this a try and the two week pause needed between an MAOI and Tramadol, I am definitely trying it next.

I know some people will disapprove of opiates, but if you are as close to death from depression as I am, I would say this is worth trying if you can.
I'm just going to add this - which is the rest of my research so far:
Did you try Tramadol yet for depression? I've just heard of it for depression. OTC Coedine does help mine a little - I use it maybe once every few weeks.

There are 83 reviews on this link rating Tramadol as 10 out of 10 for depression:
https://www.drugs.com/comments/tramadol/for-depression.html

Here is a forum of other reviews and discussion on the topic (which includes discussion of addiction risk etc):
https://forum.drugs.com/featured-conditions/tramadol-depression-33499.html

Saying that, I have also just read that the opiate receptors might not be that receptive in people with depression (which might explain how boring I found Heroin when I tried it for the first and only time a few months ago)...but nevertheless, opiates do have hope for Treatment Resistant Depression - this website has a lot of interesting articles on this topic:
https://www.opioids.com/antidepressant/opiates.html

Last edited:
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Reactions: Sensei
Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
Here's one more article as evidence that it can help. I really don't have anything to be careful of... I am literally writing my will this year - I am so done with 20 years of this misery. People are saying they have used it safely, and I don't personally have an addictive personality. I just dream of anything helping and this is the most hopeful thing I've seen in years.

Sorry didn't mean to undermine your hope. Just saying to be careful, as drugs like coke, heroin and benzos also alleviate depression, but with harsh withdrawls and sideffects.

Reactions: hhsp
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Benzos don't work for me anymore. No idea why. I only had Valium like 5 times or something. Heroin I just tried it once, it wasn't that good. I would literally take anything to escape. I'm very careful - I was careful with the Valium, I have some left over. I was careful with Lyrica - I now have boxes of that left over. I don't get addicted - I am just finding that nothing works for me.

Siberian Ginseng and St John's Wort together are helping - my suicidal thoughts which were constant have disappeared, but I still really really want to die and cry all day every day.

I am posting the Tramadol because if it helps anyone out of the hell of treatment resistant depression, it is totally worth it. I have also read that opiates used to be prescribed for depression historically, and can be more effective than ECT.
ps it's fine - my hope is a little bit more because of these reviews of Tramadol - but I am really posting this to share it with others. I've already decided to try it once I discover whether or not St John's Wort helps me any more than this - and then waited 2 weeks to transition of the St John's Wort. Dreading the whole thing!

Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
Benzos don't work for me anymore. No idea why. I only had Valium like 5 times or something. Heroin I just tried it once, it wasn't that good. I would literally take anything to escape. I'm very careful - I was careful with the Valium, I have some left over. I was careful with Lyrica - I now have boxes of that left over. I don't get addicted - I am just finding that nothing works for me.

Siberian Ginseng and St John's Wort together are helping - my suicidal thoughts which were constant have disappeared, but I still really really want to die and cry all day every day.

I am posting the Tramadol because if it helps anyone out of the hell of treatment resistant depression, it is totally worth it. I have also read that opiates used to be prescribed for depression historically, and can be more effective than ECT.
ps it's fine - my hope is a little bit more because of these reviews of Tramadol - but I am really posting this to share it with others. I've already decided to try it once I discover whether or not St John's Wort helps me any more than this - and then waited 2 weeks to transition of the St John's Wort. Dreading the whole thing!
Have you tried ketamine?

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
This makes sense to me. There have been a few studies in which patients with severe depression and suicidal ideation were given ultra-low doses of buprenorphine every day, and the results have been very promising. One of the studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121503/

I've experimented with small doses of home-extracted morphine myself and I did become less suicidal. I got the feeling that it interfered with my medication, though.

Reactions: LittleJem
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
Took Tram and St John's neither worked for me. I'm now on Wellbutrin and medical marijuana. Doesn't cure the depression. Makes me functional and makes the little voice in my head telling me 24/7 I want to die lower.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Have you tried ketamine?
Yes only at home as not very available in UK and very pricey. At home, did nothing for me. I've also tried: Ayahuasca, LSD, shrooms, DMT, 5 MEO-DMT. The final 4 gave me the odd day off. Weed used to help, but doesn't anymore. Aya took away self hatred, but still have depression. I'm lucky, I have access to drugs touted as cures, but I think my genes are at fault
Took Tram and St John's neither worked for me. I'm now on Wellbutrin and medical marijuana. Doesn't cure the depression. Makes me functional and makes the little voice in my head telling me 24/7 I want to die lower.
Same, St John's Wort has lowered that voice for me...but I feel pretty low and useless

Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
Yes only at home as not very available in UK and very pricey. At home, did nothing for me. I've also tried: Ayahuasca, LSD, shrooms, DMT, 5 MEO-DMT. The final 4 gave me the odd day off. Weed used to help, but doesn't anymore. Aya took away self hatred, but still have depression. I'm lucky, I have access to drugs touted as cures, but I think my genes are at fault

Same, St John's Wort has lowered that voice for me...but I feel pretty low and useless
With weed, you do become resistant. I use daily. When I get to that point, I stop for 4 days. It cleans out your system so it hits you again.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
This makes sense to me. There have been a few studies in which patients with severe depression and suicidal ideation were given ultra-low doses of buprenorphine every day, and the results have been very promising. One of the studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121503/

I've experimented with small doses of home-extracted morphine myself and I did become less suicidal. I got the feeling that it interfered with my medication, though.
Have you tried Methylene Blue?
It's for extra help for Bipolar depression, reviews online
With weed, you do become resistant. I use daily. When I get to that point, I stop for 4 days. It cleans out your system so it hits you again.

I took edibles daily for maybe five years or more. It made me hallucinate a LOT but did have some happy times. The drugs really liked to me though, and now I know that, I find them just unpleasant, and I find myself tripping and depressed.

Saying that, I totally agree. Tolerance breaks with weed are definitely needed to keep it working

Last edited:
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Have you tried Methylene Blue?
It's for extra help for Bipolar depression, reviews online

Never heard of it. I'm intrigued. There seem to be several studies which suggest that it indeed has positive effects on bipolar patients. I haven't been able to find any indications whatsoever that it's used in my country, though. Psychiatrists are a bit too cautious with unconventional medicines over here, in my opinion. Pharmaceutical-grade Methylene Blue can be bought online, but I'm not sure I'd dare to do a layman test, especially since suicidal tendencies are increased during the first phase of treatment. Would've been cool to piss blue, though.

Thanks for the tip, LJ. Every tip is welcome.

Reactions: LittleJem
F

Francois

Nov 20, 2019
I can personally confirm this, at least in my case and other people I have encountered over the years.
I have been using Tramadol for pain for at least 11 years now. I am using it in treatment for Fibromyalgia.
I use it up to a dosage of 300 mg (6 x 50 mg over the course of 24 hours). Though I have read you can use it up to 400 mg a day.
You should be careful with dosages, and consult a doctor.

For me personally the Tramadol is not only a pain reliever but also a huge anti depressant.
An anti depressant without equal and I have been on many many anti-depressants.
With Tramadol I have very little side effects.
The biggest side effect I get is slightly elevated blood pressure, so I take a beta blocker, mainly Propranolol, (which is cheap) in the morning and in the night.
You can also get Propranolol for social phobia.

Tramadols is not an expensive drug since it have been on the market for very long and many generic brand names exist.
If you have a good health system I am 99% sure you might be able to get it for free at a state hospital or clinic.

Last edited:
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I can personally confirm this, at least in my case and other people I have encountered over the years.
I have been using Tramadol for pain for at least 11 years now. I am using it in treatment for Fibromyalgia.
I use it up to a dosage of 300 mg (6 x 50 mg over the course of 24 hours). Though I have read you can use it up to 400 mg a day.
You should be careful with dosages, and consult a doctor.

For me personally the Tramadol is not only a pain reliever but also a huge anti depressant.
An anti depressant without equal and I have been on many many anti-depressants.
With Tramadol I have very little side effects.
The biggest side effect I get is slightly elevated blood pressure, so I take a beta blocker, mainly Propranolol, (which is cheap) in the morning and in the night.
You can also get Propranolol for social phobia.

Tramadols is not an expensive drug since it have been on the market for very long and many generic brand names exist.
If you have a good health system I am 99% sure you might be able to get it for free at a state hospital or clinic.
Thank you for sharing this, gives me hope

• Love
Reactions: Francois
Lotus1818

Lotus1818

-
Nov 4, 2019
I can confirm that the tramadol works very well. I got them from the doctor because of my chronic pain. And at first I want aware that the stuff made me so happy and energetic.

Right now I'm working again and I try to take one everyday 50mg. The days I don't take them I feel tired and sad. I've been crying all evening now.

I don't like how I'm dependant on them...

• Love
Reactions: Sensei and Francois
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I can confirm that the tramadol works very well. I got them from the doctor because of my chronic pain. And at first I want aware that the stuff made me so happy and energetic.

Right now I'm working again and I try to take one everyday 50mg. The days I don't take them I feel tired and sad. I've been crying all evening now.

I don't like how I'm dependant on them...
thank you - I think 50mg a day sounds like a low dose, but good for you for taking tolerance breaks from them.

Qbert

Qbert

Arcanist
Jan 6, 2019
I know some people will disapprove of opiates, but if you are as close to death from depression as I am, I would say this is worth trying if you can.
Can you find someone who will prescribe tramadol for depression?
I used to get it from the dark web and it sucked when my supply ran out.
It is a great drug for depression, good luck!

Reactions: Tortured_empath
F

Francois

Nov 20, 2019
Some people do the wrong thing and lie about immense migraines or other pain like joint pain to get Tramadol.

I personally dont condone this but I know some desperate people do it. And I don't judge them.

Reactions: Qbert
mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
It has some effects on the brain that are like those of antidepressants so that's why it works I guess. I doubt my doctor would prescribe it for me, since it's officially meant for pain.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lotus1818 and Qbert
Lotus1818

Lotus1818

-
Nov 4, 2019
It has some effects on the brain that are like those of antidepressants so that's why it works I guess. I doubt my doctor would prescribe it for me, since it's officially meant for pain.
Well I don't like taking them when I'm not in pain but feel sad.

I would personally look for a different pill that focusses more on the brain rather than both. That's probably the reason why they are so picky about giving them away as anti depression pills

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
Tramadol is considered a narcotic pain medication in North America, so it is hard to get "off label" for depression. Actually, it is hard to get it for pain these days, too. It is considered a "gateway" drug for opioids. Personally I feel that chronic pain and depression (I have both fibromyalgia and depression) are undertreated. We wouldn't tell a diabetic with neuropathy or an electrocution survivor to do yoga and drink herbal tea!

Last edited:
Reactions: myopybyproxy
S

Shakespear's Brother

Sep 10, 2019
It's classified as an SNRI, so similar to Effexor, Pristiq, etc.

W

Winter_Flower

Always thirsty for summer rain x
May 18, 2019
Tramadol in the UK is now classed as a control drug. Doctors are doing their best to get patients to reduce the usage of it. It's heavily monitored and isn't licensed for depression. It also isn't a depression drug. Merely the high of being on it makes you feel better like me when I abuse codiene. Tramadol is highly addictive and will never be prescribed for depression. I used to have to give out weekly prescriptions to control the usage on some patients due to its high addiction rate.

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Tramadol is also severely physically addictive regardless of your "personality" no matter what the manufacturers and doctors say. It acts on opiate, serotonin, norepinephrine, and GABA receptors all at once. It's like taking an opiate, SNRI, and gabanergic drug like neurontin all at once and while it does have a great and pretty rapid mood elevating effect, that part fades like any similar drug, you need more and more over the long term to achieve that, and stopping it is a nightmare...worse than opiates, worse than benzos. I was only taking 50-100mg a day and even that was painful to stop. It's the worst thing I have ever had to get off of and I ended up in the hospital with mini-seizures AFTER tapering off so "only at high doses" is untrue and I have seen other accounts saying the same. I don't have an addictive personality and it wasn't the idea or action of stopping it that was a problem. It was the physical withdrawal process. It's not remotely a free ride. You will see people claim they took it for years and stopped with no problems at all, and I just do not believe them. Maybe for a few weeks....not long term. One of those classes of meds alone has real effects when stopping. Four things at once being stopped will affect anyone. Short term pain control that OTC stuff won't touch? Sure....taking it long term for depression or chronic pain? No way I'd touch it for either again.

Last edited:
S

Shakespear's Brother

Sep 10, 2019
I just had dental surgery and was given all the warnings about narcotics by the pharmacy. So, I jumped to conclusions. It certainly was a lovely week though :wink:
Oh, my comment wasn't meant as a correction.

A medication can fall into multiple categories; tramadol is an opiate analgesic and an SNRI.

Hope you're feeling better! Dental surgery is a drag.

Reactions: LegaliseIt!
LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
(Sorry. Off topic) I tried to talk the dentist out of doing more than the minimum. Of course, he doesn't know that I am going to ctb in a few months. It was odd to talk to someone that takes their work seriously. Even my psychiatrist has given up on everything and everyone.

SlackJim

SlackJim

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost
Sep 30, 2019
I would definitely get addicted, tramadol is too good!

Reactions: Lotus1818