T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
What?! The DSM-5 is a bunch of hooey?! Say it's not so!

I dunno. The idea that shrinks might have to actually look at individuals as individuals, without the means or incentive to conveniently pigeonhole them and hand them to the pill-rollers trussed and ready for doseage, is pretty radical.

• Love
Reactions: TheSoulless, NumbItAll, 21Neberg and 2 others
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
The problem is that if you can't group people with the same problems into categories reliably then there really is no science to it at all. Medicine isn't wholely scientific but at least they manage to diagnose cancer and most other illnesses fairly accurately and put patients into the same category, even when there are multiple subcategories.

Psychiatry truly is a scam operating under the guise of medicine. No wonder there are no cures and the number of people who are supposedly mentally ill keeps growing instead of decreasing.

Reactions: TheSoulless, justsayin, TiredHorse and 3 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Yeah I've been thinking about this a lot lately and really questioning what the point of these diagnoses is. Like I could go through various checklists and fit the criteria for any number of "disorders." For example, here is the criteria for dysthymia:

0UOYND8.jpeg

Okay, I am now diagnosed with Persistent Depressive Disorder™. Now what? It is just a descriptive label for things that were already obvious. It stigmatizes human emotions and is entirely useless as far as actually solving any problems. It's also not even scientific considering a lot of this is very vague and a matter of subjective judgment. Sometimes I think people just like to have a neat label that explains everything, but there often are not simple answers to complex mental health challenges. It's about as useful as an IQ test...

IF YOU HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE VIEW THEN GO AHEAD AND DROP IT IN THE COMMENTS DOWN BELOW 👇 AND DONT FORGET TO LIKE, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, SMASH THAT NOTIFICATION BELL 🔔, AND CHECK OUT MY PATREON PAGE FOR MORE BONUS CONTENT.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless, justsayin and Snake of Eden