• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
Some users have been getting detained lately so I thought it would be worth discussing interactions with police. I've learned a lot about how involuntary holds and welfare checks work. I've narrowly missed many psychiatric holds by evading the cops and knowing what to say. I'm going to tell you a couple of these stories and offer advice (at least to other Americans on SS).

One time, I called a hotline and stupidly disclosed that I was imminently at risk for suicide. The counselor said some platitude to me and said goodbye, and immediately contacted police. Because the cops look you up by your last known address (using your phone number), they missed me because I'd just recently moved. So they called my cell directly (listed as "unknown" when they called). They told me that they'd been notified that I was suicidal by the hotline and they needed to talk to me. I denied the story, saying I'd never ever discussed the idea of suicide with the hotline. The cop tried to coax me into giving him my location "just to talk." I said I needed to go and could he please call me back. They tried to call back but I ignored the call. They had no choice but to give up bc there was no way to track me. They never called back, presumably because it was a drain on their time and resources.

Another time, a friend who I confided in about my plans to go called the cops on me. The friend had my current address and provided it to them. When they showed up, I was calm in my attitude and denied having any ideation. They did not check my room for any supplies, said I seemed fine, and left. In my jurisdiction, if a welfare check is done by a non-professional and the person denies any intent to hurt themselves or others, the cops have to leave. So they did.

Takeaways:
- Don't ever confide in anyone in your real life about your desire to die.
- In my U.S. city, a welfare check is handled differently depending on who calls the cops (this is NOT universal). If it is a civilian, you can talk your way out with the cops if you act calm and deny. If it's a professional (a hotline, a psychiatrist, or a therapist), you can be taken involuntarily. In this case you should deny any ideation; ideation alone is enough to detain you. Still, your word might still mean less than the "professional opinion." Be calm.
- The cops can generally ping your location using your mobile/cell phone. If you decide to talk with another person online about your plans, this is a risk to keep in mind. This is why encrypted apps are generally safer when talking to others because your details are anonymous.
- If you call a suicide hotline, you must understand the risk that any amateur counselor can freak out and call the cops on you.
- My stories happened in a city. If you live in a small town, the cops may have less to do and could be more dogged in finding you.

Please feel free to correct/add anything on this topic. I might be wrong about some things.

Last edited:
U

unwell

Jul 13, 2018
- In the U.S., a welfare check is handled differently depending on who calls the cops. If it is a civilian, you can talk your way out with the cops if you act calm and deny. If it's a professional (a hotline, a psychiatrist, or a therapist), you can be taken involuntarily. In this case you should deny any ideation; ideation alone is enough to detain you. Still, your word might still mean less than the "professional opinion." Be calm.

Just want to say that I don't know about where you are from but this is not universally true. In my area is doesn't matter who calls, a welfare check is a welfare check and will always be handled the same way. Being calm may or may not help; it depends on what they have against you in the first place.

M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
Just want to say that I don't know about where you are from but this is not universally true. In my area is doesn't matter who calls, a welfare check is a welfare check and will always be handled the same way. Being calm may or may not help; it depends on what they have against you in the first place.
Fair enough, I'll edit my post.

D

Dip

Student
Jul 27, 2018
Better takeaways than Chinese takeaway.

This also highlights just how ridiculous modern society is, it's almost like we're being accused of being dissidents.