cowbain

cowbain

teach me empathy
Jul 16, 2019
There always has to be a yin and yang in this reality.

It's frustrating for me as an 18 year old that comes from a low income abusive family to find therapy, when all I have is Medicaid. Medicaid therapists can be great but only for general issues such as counseling for depression/anxiety. Yeah most Medicaid "therapist" aren't even therapists but counsellors, and they can be about as helpful as a middle school guidance counselor. So many of the therapists that treat severe mental illnesses and disorders like ocd/pure o are not only crazy expensive but don't accept Medicaid !!! It makes no sense because most of the people that can benefit from therapy the most come from my type of background well, I guess when you factor in greed and $$$ it does. This is all so incredibly discouraging, I've been in therapy for 3 years now and I just want to give up completely. This system doesn't give a fuck they just want to keep the privileged privileged and the other half can just continue contributing to generational trauma, the prison system, and be mindless slaves for capitalism. Fuck this shit. I want out.

• Aww..
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, piupianissimo, Sweet emotion and 4 others
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
This place has helped me analyse myself in so many ways. Its been better than any therapy I have had thus far. Just reading here about the experiences of others, how they felt, how they dealt with it, what they said or did, its a huge amount of data about mental health, physical health and wellbeing. I have learned so much about subjects I knew nothing about. It started as research into methods and is turning into a voyage of self discovery. If you told me that back in June I would have laughed at you.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, Deleted member 1465, Elias and 2 others
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018

It's frustrating for me as an 18 year old that comes from a low income abusive family to find therapy, when all I have is Medicaid. Medicaid therapists can be great but only for general issues such as counseling for depression/anxiety. Yeah most Medicaid "therapist" aren't even therapists but counsellors, and they can be about as helpful as a middle school guidance counselor. So many of the therapists that treat severe mental illnesses and disorders like ocd/pure o are not only crazy expensive but don't accept Medicaid !!! It makes no sense because most of the people that can benefit from therapy the most come from my type of background well, I guess when you factor in greed and $$$ it does. This is all so incredibly discouraging, I've been in therapy for 3 years now and I just want to give up completely. This system doesn't give a fuck they just want to keep the privileged privileged and the other half can just continue contributing to generational trauma, the prison system, and be mindless slaves for capitalism. Fuck this shit. I want out.
Yea I feel your pain this is what ended up happening to me too. I came from single mother dysfunctional home environment and then predictibly I began to have problems that stem from not being socialized well or cared about in general. And no, government schooling is not education it's gov programming to brainwash the young. So once I barely graduated from the gov prison called public school I was honestly terrified because I felt so unprepared to make good decisions. I didn't know what to do so I became kind of a deviant and by 19 Started working in the strip club as a dancer. Somehow I didn't put it together that the source of the problems was working in a strip club lol! I figured it wasn't that big of a deal but I was in denial or too shut down emotionally to realize that it was effecting my mental health negatively.

I have borderline personality disorder and complex ptsd but both went undiagnosed and untreated. I was given ADD and depression diagnosis and those are related to my childhood in my case. Poor coping skills for life and emotional dysregulation made me feel hopeless about achieving much and I was led to believe that I was mentally ill when in reality I was just dealing with the maladaptive coping strategies I learned in a toxic environment. The mental health establishment just made my life worse because they kept pushing medication instead of actual therapy which I couldn't afford. I may be mentally ill but it wasn't untreatable, unfortunately it's difficult to access the right help when u are poor. With Medicaid the gov controls access and quality which is why private mental health care is usually a lot better.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, cowbain and Elias
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
Right there with you. I'm also on Medicaid + Disability. Like you, I've been in treatment for a few years. But finding psychiatrists / therapists are very difficult. They're always so booked. I only get a therapy appointment once a month due to it. But my current therapist retired, so I'm on the waiting list. I've been on it for about 4 months now? But honestly, the therapy never helped. The therapist would always say it was such a good thing I was self aware of how I felt, and why I felt the way I did, along with how to combat it. There's really only so much therapy + medication can do at the end of the day. For some people it saves their life, others we're still stuck. We're still suffering and in pain. I'm always told to use the skills. Distract, Radical Acceptance, Self Care, Self Compassion, Opposite Action, etc. I even have a skill card of DBT / CBT in my wallet. I can use skills until I'm blue in the face and that doesn't take anything away. Some days it helps, some days it doesn't. And the days that it does are quite few.

• Hugs
Reactions: NitriteAnatomy, puppy9 and cowbain
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019

You're absolutely correct. Could you see if you could get Medicare? That's such a better plan. But for your post, the rich get richer and the poor stay poor. You would not believe the rent in the area that I live in. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't see how anyone does it. I've always been poor. I've never lived in a house. All apartments and I hate it because I have a physical condition where sound is a very painful factor. So I wish I had a place of my own where I could control sound. I fought with my upstairs neighbors for three years until they moved out. Now I'm petrified to see who they rent the apartment to this time. We don't have many options do we? I've been unable to work since I was 20 years old and I'm 34 now. There's one treatment that people try for my condition and you have to go for ten days in a row to a docs office for ketamine infusions and if you don't have insurance it can range from $800-$2000 a day depending on where you go. Now who has that kind of money? The doctors talk to me like I'm rich just because they are rich. One said to me why don't you get a cabin in the middle of the woods. I said....well....I'll have to sell my ass on the streets if I want the money to be able to do that. It just really makes me laugh. There are so many people in my country, America, that need help. People think it's the richest country in the world but there are so many people suffering.

And my pig of a landlord. He's a multimillionaire. He married a rich woman. He's so damn cheap. And it's hysterical because he has the fakest looking hair piece on the top if his bald melon. You think with all the money he has he would buy something that doesn't make your eyes pop out of your head with amazement. He's such a slum Lord. He probably owns over 20 buildings and houses.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: NitriteAnatomy, puppy9, Deleted member 1465 and 1 other person