Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
I haven't eaten since noon... but I just don't feel like cooking.

Reactions: BlueWidow
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Not sure yet, but probably just video game design

Just in general? I ask because most people focus on one aspect. Like 3D art, animation, coding, sound engineering etc. I'd either focus on code or art first. Then you can branch out. I make my games almost entirely by myself.

You need to decide if you want to work in Unity or Unreal as well. Unity is the most popular game design program currently. But larger studios usually use Unreal.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Just in general? I ask because most people focus on one aspect. Like 3D art, animation, coding, sound engineering etc. I'd either focus on code or art first. Then you can branch out. I make my games almost entirely by myself.

You need to decide if you want to work in Unity or Unreal as well. Unity is the most popular game design program currently. But larger studios usually use Unreal.
I'll probably focus on coding. And I'll probably work in either one

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
I just fell asleep in the chair... can't go to bed though... that's in the other room where my mom is, because she's stolen all my bed clothes so I can't sleep on my 'real' bed (don'e ask, no clue)--honestly it's the only thing that's kept me from sleeping every minute I was home for months, so it was unintentionally good.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I'll probably focus on coding. And I'll probably work in either one

It's tough to do both. Unity uses C# and Unreal uses C++. I'd personally focus on one at a time. You can download both for free to check them out.

BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
I just fell asleep in the chair... can't go to bed though... that's in the other room where my mom is, because she's stolen all my bed clothes so I can't sleep on my 'real' bed (don'e ask, no clue)--honestly it's the only thing that's kept me from sleeping every minute I was home for months, so it was unintentionally good.
Must just be a sleepy day or something. I'm laying here about to fall asleep too. Of course it's completely at the wrong time. Your mother isn't letting you sleep on your own bed? I guess it's true that sleeping too much might tip someone off to how depressed you are.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
It's tough to do both. Unity uses C# and Unreal uses C++. I'd personally focus on one at a time. You can download both for free to check them out.
I already have Unity downloaded on my laptop. I just need to get a mouse. And I looked into Full Sail and everyone is saying it's not worth it and some say it's a scam

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
Must just be a sleepy day or something. I'm laying here about to fall asleep too. Of course it's completely at the wrong time. Your mother isn't letting you sleep on your own bed? I guess it's true that sleeping too much might tip someone off to how depressed you are.
Yeah... like weekends I would've been sleeping non stop... ok and I admit before finding the board, I probably would've discovered what my tolerance for some of the other pills were in my room... which would've been painful, but hidable. so technically a good thing... SHE doesn't know it. But still
I already have Unity downloaded on my laptop. I just need to get a mouse. And I looked into Full Sail and everyone is saying it's not worth it and some say it's a scam
Graduation rate is... concerning to me.... but could be because for-profit. assuming same one

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019

They released a huge list recently of graduates working for major companies. It's very hard to break into the industry. Alot of studios will work you like a dog too.

Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
Night everyone. I'll be back later lol

• Love
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
They released a huge list recently of graduates working for major companies. It's very hard to break into the industry. Alot of studios will work you like a dog too.
Here are some people who say it wasn't worth it:

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
So tempting to be impulsive....

Mother's yelled at me 2x because I didn't do things that she should've done, because I should've assumed she didn't do them.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhyIsLife56 and BlueWidow
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019

Oh I don't doubt it. I've seen people say that about many game design programs. I'm self taught so I couldn't say personally.

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019

As a note: they have 44% graduation rate, and apparently have like 29K needed in loans after everything.... MY BA college has like 72% graduation rate, and same price tag--and it was a private university, not even public.
Oh and for profit normally care about money, and your education is what you put into it more than what they teach you... generally.

---------------------------------------

Omg she's effing yelling I didn't get her good random numbers... effing...

Last edited:
Reactions: Squiddy
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
As a note: they have 44% graduation rate, and apparently have like 29K needed in loans after everything.... MY BA college has like 72% graduation rate, and same price tag--and it was a private university, not even public.
Oh and for profit normally care about money, and your education is what you put into it more than what they teach you... generally.

I think alot of people drop out of game design programs in general from what I've seen. They realize it's not as glamorous as they thought it was. It's often grueling, frustrating, and somewhat boring work.

Reactions: Carina
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Oh I don't doubt it. I've seen people say that about many game design programs. I'm self taught so I couldn't say personally.
I've also read that by the time one is done with the degree, they're looking at $60k+ in debt

• Aww..
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
The forum seems a bit quiet today. Or maybe it's just because I'm so tired and it's raining and dark here, which makes me even more tired. Plus it's the time of the day when I start zoning out for a while.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
The forum seems a bit quiet today. Or maybe it's just because I'm so tired and it's raining and dark here, which makes me even more tired. Plus it's the time of the day when I start zoning out for a while.
I wish it were raining here

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've also read that by the time one is done with the degree, they're looking at $60k+ in debt

I'm not advocating for the school. I merely mentioned it as an option that I've seen people pursue. You should obviously do plenty of research before enrolling anywhere.

BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
You shouldn't have to pay that much to go to school. It's just ridiculous. They really need to reform the system, especially when so many people leave school and then they can't even find a job. I think you shouldn't have to pay the money back unless you are able to find a job in the field that you studied or something. They need to do something about it.

Reactions: Squiddy and Carina
B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019

Oh, are you also spending your day refreshing the forums to see if there's someone to talk to?

:pfff:

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
You shouldn't have to pay that much to go to school. It's just ridiculous. They really need to reform the system, especially when so many people leave school and then they can't even find a job. I think you shouldn't have to pay the money back unless you are able to find a job in the field that you studied or something. They need to do something about it.
If schools actually only got paid when you got a job in the field, they'd actually teach and do things of use, instead of things that had no chance of any job, or at least HELP students find jobs places or cut prices.

M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
Hahaha no one feels like cooking so I get to push my fast one day further. I probably shouldn't be excited by this.

Reactions: BlueWidow and Carina
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019

There are colleges like that. Where you don't pay anything except maybe a refundable deposit. The deposit is only taken if you don't take your education seriously. Some even try to place you into a job after you graduate.
There's one I saw where you only pay for the degree if you're employed in the field within 2 years of graduation.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I agree

There are colleges like that. Where you don't pay anything except maybe a refundable deposit. The deposit is only taken if you don't take your education seriously. Some even try to place you into a job after you graduate.
There's one I saw where you only pay for the degree if you're employed in the field within 2 years of graduation.
Any colleges like that with game design degree? :pfff:

BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Those must be the rare ones that you don't hear about, probably because all their students are employed and they can't be used by politicians as another campaign issue. LOL!

Reactions: Carina and Brick In The Wall