I hate my birth family
Apr 30, 2023
Do you want to tell them?

Reactions: gonegirl1
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
If you are aware of the risks and want to take the chance, then you can, but knowing the consequences and how they may act (usually out of legal obligation and liability reasons), most people wouldn't wish to mention SaSu. In short, if a mental health professional (a therapist is one of them) believes, suspects, or has reason/probable cause to think that someone may be in danger, they will take action, which may result in additional scrutiny, a safety plan, or worst of all, being locked up against one's will. Given how the law mandates certain professions and authority to act if they suspect someone may be at risk of harm to themselves or others, especially in today's climate, your therapist may act under "better safe than sorry", which may result in unwanted consequences.

• Hugs
Reactions: coked_pigeon, NoLoveNoHope, I Can't Say and 5 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Why would you want to tell him about SaSu? What do you expect?

bridgegirl

bridgegirl

life on the edge, I guess
Oct 16, 2023
I wouldn't name this site specifically, but I would say I found a support forum with other people who have suicidal urges, and that they've all been really supportive of my feelings in general.

Reactions: coked_pigeon, sadandlonely99, white_petals and 2 others
Division Day

Division Day

It's life that scares me to death
Oct 28, 2023
I'm not sure I'd want to give my therapist an invite to a safe space like this. It feels like I'd always wonder if they're here (and if they did read it, they know enough about you to figure out your username).

I don't see any reason to get more specific than what bridgegirl said.

Reactions: I Can't Say and gonegirl1
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Sitting in the darkness.
Feb 28, 2023
I would never tell a mental health professional the truth, because there is a risk of them reporting you in which case you may be locked up in a pseudo prison. There is just no benefit because they really don't care about helping people, at least from my experience.

Reactions: sadandlonely99, SpiritualDeath and gonegirl1
R.F.

R.F.

Sep 23, 2023
Chances are your therapist already knows about it.

If not, the pros of making him or her aware of this site are that they'll be able to better understand the factors influencing your mindset - because, even if it doesn't seem like it, the online environments you frequent DO affect your personality to a VERY significant extent.

The cons, on the other hand, may be in an increase in bias. Therapists are supposed to be neutral but they're humans too and nobody is truly unbiased. People who have never dealt with suicidality first hand have it hard to really understand what's going on in a suicidal person's mind. In that case there is the possibility of your therapist consciously or subconsciously starting to label you as a weirdo. Because SaSu members for sure do appear like that to outsiders with no true relations to the topic.

Reactions: SpiritualDeath and gonegirl1
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
To answer to everyone, I would like to just tell them that I am feeling slightly better because I found an online community of people who suffer from mental problems, like bridgegirl said. I just want to tell them because they will notice a difference in my speech and behavior maybe, and I don't want to lie about where it has been coming from.

I never told her I am suicidal, but I think she might guess that at some point I was, and I wouldn't mention the site's name.

• Hugs
Reactions: Oneness, I Can't Say, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†

π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†

Deeming that I were better dead
Oct 28, 2023
I wouldn't name this site specifically, but I would say I found a support forum with other people who have suicidal urges, and that they've all been really supportive of my feelings in general.
Well said. Saying straight up the name of this forum and what you can find here can be harmful. If your therapist suspect that either you or someone else is in danger because of you - they can take legal actions. Just keep that in mind.

Reactions: bridgegirl and gonegirl1
AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
I mentioned the site indirectly to my therapist. Like OP was saying, I wanted to share how I felt helped by the site. I wanted to share about why I was feeling so different.

I described it as the recovery section as a stand alone discord group when I shared it with her. I had a random name in mind, in case she asked what it was called.

This choice was based off the relationship I have with my therapist. It would be important to take in consideration your situation.