Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
Fuck people, to be honest. Over others lying, manipulating, or just being assholes. Completely done being walked all over. No point in caring for anyone who doesn't for me.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, Un-, Anxieyote and 7 others
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I wish I was dead.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, artificial_ineptness, Dead Meat and 1 other person

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
I don't understand fossils.

So follow me here.
A dinosaur dies and is slowly buried by mud (which comes from where?).
Eventually the dinosaur is so deep in mud that millions of years later we need to dig tens of metres to find the fossils.
But where did all that mud come from to bury the land that was Earth's surface millions of years ago in lots of soil?

Reactions: IsThisTheEnd?
markimobzzdeasui

markimobzzdeasui

Life is a cruel joke
Oct 24, 2021
Reality is a lie. We were bamboozled since birth. Future was already written. There is nothing like free will and it is the most scary part of existence. There is nothing like objective reality.Everything we discover and know in every field of this human existence,nature and universe, whether chemistry,philosophy,psychology,history or literally everything was already written. Just we don't know how much deeply we were bamboozled. It is even worse than a matrix!
There are rules, values,truths,empathy on humanly understandable level,that are cosmically set up to make this reality run in the exact same way as it is supposed to be and thus we feel that we have free will on every or most of the matters.
Fuck I am loosing my mind.

• Hugs
Reactions: Euthanza, Élégie, littlelungs and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Watched the first episode of Smiling Friends where SPOILERS: a dude with obvious reasons to commit suicide manages to recover by finding himself a purpose in violently killing house pests. I don't think my purpose is to go on doing anything like that and it occurs to me that I don't see myself having any purpose and even if I did, it feels like my true purpose is just to be a pathetic villain that serves as a cautionary tale of what not to do.

The only other semblance of purpose I feel I can achieve is the typical "start a family" line of work. I'm not crazy and I don't think this is a guaranteed shot especially seeing how unlikely it is that I ever find a stable and loving partner in the first place. It quite frankly fills me with a huge amount of disgust and shame that the only way to even motivate me these days is through my coombrain. I just know that if just one person who I'd find attractive shows interest in me then it would be enough to at least temporarily overhaul all of my hang ups and basically completely warp me into a different person, a person who I'd still hate but would at least get stuff done. Why should I have to subject the world to yet another incel being alive and causing misery if I can just die? It doesn't make any sense to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
Finally finished typing up my will, but due to my absolutely atrocious physical state and the permanent worsening from all of the strain that comes with just going out into the world (talking, brightness, sounds, having to shower afterwards) I can't make it to a notary to get it notarized and witnessed and shit, so the next "best" thing is for me to handwrite the entire fucking thing out (so, to have a holographic will), then film myself signing it. That is NOT going to happen today, but it's still progress.

Thankfully I'm a millennial and I don't own much at all (and I know that the latter is redundant, lol). If I were to outlive my husband it would be a different story because of the inheritance I would receive from him, but that's not the case here, so it's a lot less complicated. Even if it's not valid it won't be a massive catastrophe, but based on what I've read about wills and local laws and stuff I think it will be fine. Just trying to do whatever I can (within my physical limitations) to make the process a little less shitty and confusing for the people who are left behind.

I feel so indescribably fucking awful and my brain is absolute mush, but I'm still pretty proud of myself for everything I've accomplished so far regarding my exit preparations. It's a huge weight off my shoulders to know that I'm just another step closer to eternal peace.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, NSA, houseofleaves and 2 others
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
If you are sad, watch this:

Why does Darth Vader dislike dark? He can't read!
Why does Darth Vader hate windy weather? Leia might escape.

The joke is that "he can't read" is "Hän ei näe lukea" in Finnish ("Hän ei näe lukea" can mean both "He can't see Luke" and "He can't read"). and Leia is pronounced almost the same way as "leija" which means "kite".

Reactions: littlelungs and houseofleaves
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022
I feel so indescribably fucking awful and my brain is absolute mush, but I'm still pretty proud of myself for everything I've accomplished so far regarding my exit preparations. It's a huge weight off my shoulders to know that I'm just another step closer to eternal peace.
i wish you happiness, sir! great job

Reactions: littlelungs
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Remember people:

"If a beam taketh six nails to place, then six shalt it be. If thou useth five, then be thou a cheap and careless fool. If thou useth seven, then be thou a wastrel with no pride."

Reactions: NSA and Anxieyote
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I just went out back to get some fresh air for a couple minutes before I got dizzy and nauseous again and needed to lay back down.

Not a single cloud in the sky, which is a beautiful shade of blue. Birds were flying from building to building, insects were circling around a pot of soil. The air had that creeping feel of summer, accompanied by a really light, refreshing breeze, and the grief of everything that I've been robbed of hit me all over again.

There are so many things I want to do and experience and I would have so much potential, and yet I'm confined to my home, and mostly my bed. Nothing helps, and I've tried everything I could possibly get my hands on – the pain has always remained a constant. I'm equal parts pissed off and devastated that it got this bad; the game was rigged from the beginning but it didn't need to get this bad, and now it's too late.

I'm excited to finally be at peace – to leave behind this body and all of this crippling, neverending pain and trauma that I've been carrying around for most of my life, and to leave behind this world and all of its violence, greed, exploitation, callousness, destruction of the only planet we are able to inhabit and more at the hands of humanity. On the other hand, I'm devastated and pissed off that it has come to this at all. This planet is beautiful but this world, and this life... completely unliveable and unsustainable, respectively, for someone like me.

I don't mean to sound angsty or cringe-y and I don't want to sound like a self-pitying chump, but sometimes the magnitude of my suffering, the weight of everything I've lost and having no choice but to simply watch the world pass me by makes me really fucking sad. I think that anyone in a similar situation would, or does, feel the same way.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, Dead Meat and houseofleaves
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022
I'm excited to finally be at peace – to leave behind this body and all of this crippling, neverending pain
if i only could donate my body to you, sir…((((

NSA

NSA

Your friendly neighborhood agent
Feb 21, 2022
I should just let my art reflect my current mental state instead of trying to force it to be a certain way.
I'm apparently at this time, only capable of making simplistic stuff that may or may not look like a(n especially untalented) kid did it.
Just let it be how it wants. Maybe if I let it run, I'll eventually get my capacity for detail back.

littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
If you are sad, watch this:

Why does Darth Vader dislike dark? He can't read!
Why does Darth Vader hate windy weather? Leia might escape.

The joke is that "he can't read" is "Hän ei näe lukea" in Finnish ("Hän ei näe lukea" can mean both "He can't see Luke" and "He can't read"). and Leia is pronounced almost the same way as "leija" which means "kite".

Finnish is such a cool language. I've always wanted to learn it, but I'm too ill now and to be honest I find it very (grammatically and phonologically) intimidating. :ahhha:

• Hugs
Reactions: Manaaja
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Finnish is such a cool language. I've always wanted to learn it, but I'm too ill now and to be honest I find it very (grammatically and phonologically) intimidating. :ahhha:

Watch this with English subtitles on:

Yeah, Finnish is hard. Think about this. I=minä, want=haluta, buy = ostaa, one=yksi dog=koira. I want to buy one dog = Haluan ostaa yhden koiran.
I=minä, wonder=miettiä/tuumailla/ihmetellä, if=jos, should=pitäisi, buy=ostaa, one=yksi, dog=koira.

I wonder if I should buy one dog = Ostaisinkohan yhden koiran? Just because you know all the words doesn't mean you can use them. Unlike in English. In English you can just think "What's that animal called, the biggest rodent? Oh, yes, capybara!". And so you can switch "I fed dogs" to "I fed capybaras" just by looking for different nouns in a dictionary and swapping them. However, in Finnish you can't do that. "Ruokin koiria" doesn't mean it's "Ruokin kapybaria" or something like that, no, it's "Ruokin kapybaroja". So knowing the word isn't enough, you also have to know how to I forgot the tern in English, "bend it". Know how it transforms. Of course there are rules for how things transform, but if you asked me "Why is it "koiria" and not "koiroja and "kapybaraja" but not "kapybaria"?" I couldn't explain. Maybe because koira is a short word. Also, sometimes "old" words transform differently, so a word will be transformed differently based on whether it's some 500 year old Finnish word or a brand new word etc.

For example, t always becomes d in genetive, but in the very new word "auto", which means "car", it stays as t. So if auto was an older word, you'd say "audon", but because it's a newer than 100 years it's "auton". Katu->kadun (street), latu->ladun (skiing "street"), lato->ladon (that small building in yard with gardening tools and things like shovels, lawn mowers etc.), mato->madon (carpet), but auto->auton (car).

...I hope no one asks me what the difference between "lato" and "liiteri" is, hahaha. I just realized something about Finnish myself. When people say "puuliiteri" it doesn't mean "a small wooden building made for storing gardening stuff, plus hammers, plus ice fishing equipment etc.)" it means "a small building which may or may not be made from wood, but it's used to store wood". Huh, never figured that out.

One thing I like about Finnish is how there's a lot more words for different things. Like in English, there's dog, but in Finnish there's "hurtta, piski, rakki, koira" which all have different nuances and while they are synonyms, they aren't interchangeable. Saying "I saw a rakki" means you thought the dog was ugly, unclean, filthy, it makes you sound like a 50 year old rich lady who hates dogs because they leave dirty footprints on your new 88 888€ carpet is very different from "hurtta" which sounds a lot more kinder though can also sound mean depending on how YOU view your dog.

Most Finns will say "Finnish is spoken and written differently!", that's not exactly true. When I was a kid, I read a lot, and had little social interactions, and I also wanted to be a serious "intelligent and wise little professor" so I spoke like it's written. I've met others who do the same, usually people whose parents were pieces of shit who didn't talk with their children or encourage their children to have friends so the children never learned how to speak like "normies". It's not incorrect to speak like written, and in many cases it makes you sound mature, professional, serious, high-ranking, like a president talking to another president about something really important like world war 3. But on the other hand, it's true that almost all people in almost all cases (especially after the invent of the Internet and mobile phones) speak and write differently.

You can say "Minä pidän kirjoista" (I like books), but "Mä tykkään kirjoist" is muh more common. So in a way, it's not enough to learn one "type" of Finnish, you have to learn several., All Finns will know what "Minä pidän kirjoista" means, but you most likely won't know what "Mä tykkään kirjoist", "Mie oon tykästynyt kirjoihin" mean.

And think about "I". In English I (in its basic from, so no my, mine, etc.) is always I. In Finnish it can be "Minä, mä, meikä, mie, meikäläinen" etc. It's kinda like Japanese in that sense. Though unlike Japanese, where people often use "watashi" which is a formal "I" or "boku" (which means younger boy/man, or a really boyish lesbian too in some very rare cases lol), or "atashi" which is a girlish "I", you can pretty much use Finnish "I" pronouns in any way you want. Another thing is, in Japanese, you can say "sushi wo taberu" (literally sushi eat) and mean "I eat sushi", in Finnish you can say "syön sushia" and the n means you are talking about yourself, but in English you can't. "Eat sushi" is a command.

But going back to the topic of different words having nuances, I really wish English had it. Of course you can say "woman, chick, dudette, girl" etc. but not many words have them and even them there are not many (and even in those cases, it's often a bad word). Another thing I like about Finnish, is your ability to make new words and have others understand them. Such as koira "koirukka". All Finnish people would automatically mean what "koirukka" means, but even fluent foreigners would be like "koi=a type of insect" "rukka=clothing firm" "rukka=sad and poor and pitiful" what the hell does it mean? A sad incect? A sad and poor insect clothing company? While native Finns would know it's just a cute and made-up way to call a "dog".

I guess I would make a good Finnish teacher. The problem with language teachers is often, that they cannot put themselves into the place of the student. Tbh, non-natives often make a lot better teachers.

I once read about a person who barely knew English, and he moved to another country to work at a company which had both native speakers and non-native English speakers. Well, the natives would use complicated sentences with lots of words he had never heard of, like "Can you pass me the charcoal please?", and he had no idea what to do. And then another foreigner would come and say "Give.black.stick". It's kinda funny how a lot of native English often speak like third graders but the second there's a foreigner who can barely speak English they switch to some sort of high-class English.

All of that said, I think English is a lot easier language than Finland. For some fucking reason native English speakers often speak about how hard English is, but any person would learn English three times before they learn Finnish. English is a very simple language. Words stay the same. You don't get the "omena, omenat, omenoita, omenia, omenoja, omenoitakin, omenineen, omenaa, omenan, omenojen, omenoiden, omenoitten, etc." like you get in Finnish, it's either "apple" or "apples". I think that if a person thinks that English is hard, they have A: never tried to study another language, B: they are bad at all languages in which case it's not English it's all languages C: try to be polite or something and failing miserably.

I also hate how native English speakers are all "English is hard because of homophones!" while at the same time all languages have homophones. All languages have those "breaking rules" moments, or at least most languages.

English is also much easier than Swedish, German, Japanese, Chinese or about any other language I've studied. I'm glad it's the "lingua de franca" or however it's said, global language. Imagine having to learn Japanese, where they have three writing systems and you can't guess how the kanjis are pronounced.

Odd to think. Is it really that uncommon for a native English speaker to know more than English, let alone more than 3 languages? I have studied so many languages that it's hard to think some countries don't value language learning. Of course when almost everything is available in English. I guess native English speakers often only learn languages if a: their school offers it and they have nothing better to do, b: they have a relative/spouse like Finnish grandparents, c: they travel a lot to the country or live in the country, d: they are fans of japanese or chinese or korean products. Learning for the sake of learning is rare, I guess.

Ah, I just remembered there was a Finnish tv show about random people (not celebrities, but random people who wanted to participate) learning Italian. It was really nice. I'd love to see the same in American format. Twenty native English anime fans try to learn Japanese. "Oh, I know that word, it was in Naruto!".

To complain about Finnish speakers, one thing I really don't like is how they slap words together, go to foreigners, and say "Look at this long Finnish word!". But it's not a real word. Imagine if in English you said orangebluetortoisecaterpillarrunjumpokayturnleftchristmasmusicshoppingcenter. Would that be a word or just random words slapped together because I'm5andthisisdeep and lollookhowsmartIam? I hate it. Unless the word means something, it's not a word. It's like saying "I created a new English word! It's traphipotgse!" and then having no idea what it means or could mean or should mean.

Almost forgot to add. Though I don't miss them in English, I wish native English speakers knew double consonants and double vowels. I mean "kato, katto, kaato, katoo" are all words, all written and pronounced differently. (kato=look at that (a command), but it's also an old word that also means kind of something like "ruin/disappearance/destruction", katto = roof , ceiling, kaato=the act of knocking something down or cutting a tree or making something fall down, katoo= disappear! (a command) can also mean "look at that" if the speaker is really drunk. Pretty funny how words change meaning based on if someone is really drunk, hahaha.

Oh, I ended up writing a lot. But yeah, it's a really difficult language. Forgot to add, Finnish has a lot of dialects too, dialects that use different words and bend words differently (too sick and tired to google how the word bending is said in English). Like "Evening!" is usually "Iltaa!" but it can also be "Ehtoota!" if the speaker is old and from the middle of nowhere, and you can say things like "Elämän ehtoopuoli" to mean "life's evening part/oldness" but you can't say "iltapuoli". Or "woods" are metsä but in some areas they call it mehtä. Kinda funny btw, if you say "Meninmetsälle" it literally means "I went to forest/woods", but in actually it means "I went hunting". If you say "Menin metsään" it literally means "I went to forest/woods" but actually it means "I erred/I failed/I got confused and lost". If you want to mean something like "I entered a literal forest" it's "Kävin metsässä" which means "I visited the forest". So yeah, Finnish is one of the hardest languages. I've studied Mandarin Chinese, and, well, at least Finnish uses the same alphabet as English, so I guess Mandarin Chinese is still harder than Finnish - for an English speaker. I really wish people could just automatically learn Finnish magically, it has so many more words and ways to describe things, I wouldn't wonder if Finnish literally had ten times more words than English. Though I still love English.

It's odd how I can be really tired and sick but still write a wall. I guess I really like talking about languages and teaching them.

littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
Watch this with English subtitles on:

Yeah, Finnish is hard. Think about this. I=minä, want=haluta, buy = ostaa, one=yksi dog=koira. I want to buy one dog = Haluan ostaa yhden koiran.
I=minä, wonder=miettiä/tuumailla/ihmetellä, if=jos, should=pitäisi, buy=ostaa, one=yksi, dog=koira.

I wonder if I should buy one dog = Ostaisinkohan yhden koiran? Just because you know all the words doesn't mean you can use them. Unlike in English. In English you can just think "What's that animal called, the biggest rodent? Oh, yes, capybara!". And so you can switch "I fed dogs" to "I fed capybaras" just by looking for different nouns in a dictionary and swapping them. However, in Finnish you can't do that. "Ruokin koiria" doesn't mean it's "Ruokin kapybaria" or something like that, no, it's "Ruokin kapybaroja". So knowing the word isn't enough, you also have to know how to I forgot the tern in English, "bend it". Know how it transforms. Of course there are rules for how things transform, but if you asked me "Why is it "koiria" and not "koiroja and "kapybaraja" but not "kapybaria"?" I couldn't explain. Maybe because koira is a short word. Also, sometimes "old" words transform differently, so a word will be transformed differently based on whether it's some 500 year old Finnish word or a brand new word etc.

For example, t always becomes d in genetive, but in the very new word "auto", which means "car", it stays as t. So if auto was an older word, you'd say "audon", but because it's a newer than 100 years it's "auton". Katu->kadun (street), latu->ladun (skiing "street"), lato->ladon (that small building in yard with gardening tools and things like shovels, lawn mowers etc.), mato->madon (carpet), but auto->auton (car).

...I hope no one asks me what the difference between "lato" and "liiteri" is, hahaha. I just realized something about Finnish myself. When people say "puuliiteri" it doesn't mean "a small wooden building made for storing gardening stuff, plus hammers, plus ice fishing equipment etc.)" it means "a small building which may or may not be made from wood, but it's used to store wood". Huh, never figured that out.

One thing I like about Finnish is how there's a lot more words for different things. Like in English, there's dog, but in Finnish there's "hurtta, piski, rakki, koira" which all have different nuances and while they are synonyms, they aren't interchangeable. Saying "I saw a rakki" means you thought the dog was ugly, unclean, filthy, it makes you sound like a 50 year old rich lady who hates dogs because they leave dirty footprints on your new 88 888€ carpet is very different from "hurtta" which sounds a lot more kinder though can also sound mean depending on how YOU view your dog.

Most Finns will say "Finnish is spoken and written differently!", that's not exactly true. When I was a kid, I read a lot, and had little social interactions, and I also wanted to be a serious "intelligent and wise little professor" so I spoke like it's written. I've met others who do the same, usually people whose parents were pieces of shit who didn't talk with their children or encourage their children to have friends so the children never learned how to speak like "normies". It's not incorrect to speak like written, and in many cases it makes you sound mature, professional, serious, high-ranking, like a president talking to another president about something really important like world war 3. But on the other hand, it's true that almost all people in almost all cases (especially after the invent of the Internet and mobile phones) speak and write differently.

You can say "Minä pidän kirjoista" (I like books), but "Mä tykkään kirjoist" is muh more common. So in a way, it's not enough to learn one "type" of Finnish, you have to learn several., All Finns will know what "Minä pidän kirjoista" means, but you most likely won't know what "Mä tykkään kirjoist", "Mie oon tykästynyt kirjoihin" mean.

And think about "I". In English I (in its basic from, so no my, mine, etc.) is always I. In Finnish it can be "Minä, mä, meikä, mie, meikäläinen" etc. It's kinda like Japanese in that sense. Though unlike Japanese, where people often use "watashi" which is a formal "I" or "boku" (which means younger boy/man, or a really boyish lesbian too in some very rare cases lol), or "atashi" which is a girlish "I", you can pretty much use Finnish "I" pronouns in any way you want. Another thing is, in Japanese, you can say "sushi wo taberu" (literally sushi eat) and mean "I eat sushi", in Finnish you can say "syön sushia" and the n means you are talking about yourself, but in English you can't. "Eat sushi" is a command.

But going back to the topic of different words having nuances, I really wish English had it. Of course you can say "woman, chick, dudette, girl" etc. but not many words have them and even them there are not many (and even in those cases, it's often a bad word). Another thing I like about Finnish, is your ability to make new words and have others understand them. Such as koira "koirukka". All Finnish people would automatically mean what "koirukka" means, but even fluent foreigners would be like "koi=a type of insect" "rukka=clothing firm" "rukka=sad and poor and pitiful" what the hell does it mean? A sad incect? A sad and poor insect clothing company? While native Finns would know it's just a cute and made-up way to call a "dog".

I guess I would make a good Finnish teacher. The problem with language teachers is often, that they cannot put themselves into the place of the student. Tbh, non-natives often make a lot better teachers.

I once read about a person who barely knew English, and he moved to another country to work at a company which had both native speakers and non-native English speakers. Well, the natives would use complicated sentences with lots of words he had never heard of, like "Can you pass me the charcoal please?", and he had no idea what to do. And then another foreigner would come and say "Give.black.stick". It's kinda funny how a lot of native English often speak like third graders but the second there's a foreigner who can barely speak English they switch to some sort of high-class English.

All of that said, I think English is a lot easier language than Finland. For some fucking reason native English speakers often speak about how hard English is, but any person would learn English three times before they learn Finnish. English is a very simple language. Words stay the same. You don't get the "omena, omenat, omenoita, omenia, omenoja, omenoitakin, omenineen, omenaa, omenan, omenojen, omenoiden, omenoitten, etc." like you get in Finnish, it's either "apple" or "apples". I think that if a person thinks that English is hard, they have A: never tried to study another language, B: they are bad at all languages in which case it's not English it's all languages C: try to be polite or something and failing miserably.

I also hate how native English speakers are all "English is hard because of homophones!" while at the same time all languages have homophones. All languages have those "breaking rules" moments, or at least most languages.

English is also much easier than Swedish, German, Japanese, Chinese or about any other language I've studied. I'm glad it's the "lingua de franca" or however it's said, global language. Imagine having to learn Japanese, where they have three writing systems and you can't guess how the kanjis are pronounced.

Odd to think. Is it really that uncommon for a native English speaker to know more than English, let alone more than 3 languages? I have studied so many languages that it's hard to think some countries don't value language learning. Of course when almost everything is available in English. I guess native English speakers often only learn languages if a: their school offers it and they have nothing better to do, b: they have a relative/spouse like Finnish grandparents, c: they travel a lot to the country or live in the country, d: they are fans of japanese or chinese or korean products. Learning for the sake of learning is rare, I guess.

Ah, I just remembered there was a Finnish tv show about random people (not celebrities, but random people who wanted to participate) learning Italian. It was really nice. I'd love to see the same in American format. Twenty native English anime fans try to learn Japanese. "Oh, I know that word, it was in Naruto!".

To complain about Finnish speakers, one thing I really don't like is how they slap words together, go to foreigners, and say "Look at this long Finnish word!". But it's not a real word. Imagine if in English you said orangebluetortoisecaterpillarrunjumpokayturnleftchristmasmusicshoppingcenter. Would that be a word or just random words slapped together because I'm5andthisisdeep and lollookhowsmartIam? I hate it. Unless the word means something, it's not a word. It's like saying "I created a new English word! It's traphipotgse!" and then having no idea what it means or could mean or should mean.

Almost forgot to add. Though I don't miss them in English, I wish native English speakers knew double consonants and double vowels. I mean "kato, katto, kaato, katoo" are all words, all written and pronounced differently. (kato=look at that (a command), but it's also an old word that also means kind of something like "ruin/disappearance/destruction", katto = roof , ceiling, kaato=the act of knocking something down or cutting a tree or making something fall down, katoo= disappear! (a command) can also mean "look at that" if the speaker is really drunk. Pretty funny how words change meaning based on if someone is really drunk, hahaha.

Oh, I ended up writing a lot. But yeah, it's a really difficult language. Forgot to add, Finnish has a lot of dialects too, dialects that use different words and bend words differently (too sick and tired to google how the word bending is said in English). Like "Evening!" is usually "Iltaa!" but it can also be "Ehtoota!" if the speaker is old and from the middle of nowhere, and you can say things like "Elämän ehtoopuoli" to mean "life's evening part/oldness" but you can't say "iltapuoli". Or "woods" are metsä but in some areas they call it mehtä. Kinda funny btw, if you say "Meninmetsälle" it literally means "I went to forest/woods", but in actually it means "I went hunting". If you say "Menin metsään" it literally means "I went to forest/woods" but actually it means "I erred/I failed/I got confused and lost". If you want to mean something like "I entered a literal forest" it's "Kävin metsässä" which means "I visited the forest". So yeah, Finnish is one of the hardest languages. I've studied Mandarin Chinese, and, well, at least Finnish uses the same alphabet as English, so I guess Mandarin Chinese is still harder than Finnish - for an English speaker. I really wish people could just automatically learn Finnish magically, it has so many more words and ways to describe things, I wouldn't wonder if Finnish literally had ten times more words than English. Though I still love English.

It's odd how I can be really tired and sick but still write a wall. I guess I really like talking about languages and teaching them.

That is all so incredibly interesting, for real. You're preaching to the choir – I've studied languages out of pure interest since I was in my early teens, picking up languages such as Spanish, Swedish and Japanese along the way, to name a few (Swedish was by far the easiest out of all of them). Learning languages started out as a simple interest and then quickly morphed into some sort of coping mechanism to attempt to briefly distract me from the hell of simply living with myself. Because of my extensive history of studying Japanese (I'd say my Japanese knowledge is relatively advanced – I also got a lot of practice but I won't say more about it here to maintain anonymity), I can get the gist of what a good number of Chinese characters mean. I can also read and write Arabic and Persian (even though I have no idea what the words actually mean), I speak and understand enough Czech and Ukrainian to get by if I really had to, but I'd probably sound like a caveman. I can read the Cyrillic alphabet with no issues but again, I often don't know what the words mean (especially if it's not a Slavic language), although when it concerns Slavic languages I can draw on my knowledge of other Slavic languages and get a general idea as to what I'm reading. I can understand French way better than I can speak it, but again, I could definitely get by with it if I had to – I never learned French because I wanted to, but because it was compulsory in school, and I didn't take it very seriously, but I was often exposed to the language passively. I also know a little bit of an indigenous language mostly spoken in an area where I'm from (which, again, I'm not going to mention here for obvious reasons), but nothing impressive by any stretch. I'm fluent in German and that's the language I use most often; sometimes I even forget words in English and can only express myself through using German. I understand a lot of the Zürich dialect of Swiss German, but Swiss German and all of its various dialects is a whole other can of worms. I don't want to sound arrogant or anything when I'm talking about the languages I can understand... again, it's just the product of one of my many desperate attempts to cope with the pain of existing. I'm so sick now that I can't even speak without getting a severe headache and feeling like I have strep throat, so despite this linguistic knowledge, I rarely ever speak, and when I do it's extremely limited. I almost exclusively communicate by writing (and occasionally hand signals), which also takes a lot out of me (I've had to keep stopping and coming back to this post because I can't write very much all in one go without suffering severe physical consequences for doing so).

I think for a lot of English speakers it doesn't really even occur to them to learn another language because so many people speak English to at least some degree, and if there are two are more people who need to communicate but don't speak each other's native language, English is often the language people fall back on. In German the word is "Verkehrssprache"... I forget the English word, but, yeah.

One time I read a post by someone that said that English is easy to learn but hard to master, and I think that's true for the most part. This doesn't mean that English is objectively the hardest language in the world (which I think depends on a lot of different factors; one of the more relevant factors includes the speaker's native language and how close the target language is to their native language; for example, both English and Friesian are West Germanic languages and share a lot of similar features, so a native English speaker will most likely have less difficulty learning Friesian than a language from a Semitic, Slavic or Finnic language family), BUT a lot of the time I can understand where and why non-native English speakers slip up.

In particular, I've noticed that lots of non-native speakers struggle with the pronunciation (which, hell, lots of English speakers sometimes do, too, including me, lol) and the tenses. For example, I've noticed that lots of native German speakers tend to use the present perfect instead of the simple past when talking about completed past events, which, while I can understand what they mean, it just sounds odd to me, such as: "I've been to the store yesterday" instead of "I went to the store yesterday." In many dialects of German, particularly those spoken in southern Germany, Switzerland (almost exclusively from what I know) and most of Austria, the present perfect is used to describe past events far more often (especially in informal speech) than just the simple past. So it makes perfect sense to them to use the present perfect in such cases, and thus it gets carried over when they're speaking English. I know that there's a word for this, but my brain is absolute mush.

This took me a long while to write out and I had to keep stopping and coming back to it because I'm so fucking ill and in so much pain all the time, but I just love languages so much and it's exciting when I find someone else as passionate about languages, too. I find agglutinative and fusional languages incredibly intimidating to learn, don't get me wrong, but they're so fascinating to learn about and get some insight into the building blocks as to how they actually work. It's so cool how in Finnish, one can basically use one word to convey an entire (English) sentence's worth of something due to the extensive morphological processes that are available.

Last edited:
OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020
Who's your fav Dylan or Eric? I relate with Dylan
Both tbh, but something about Eric's rage and determination to complete the mission makes me feel a connection. If I ever have a super stable lucid dream, I will re-live that day in HD and the bombs will work.

• Yay!
Reactions: Wormfood
Wormfood

Wormfood

I like people... I said it
May 23, 2022
Both tbh, but something about Eric's rage and determination to complete the mission makes me feel a connection. If I ever have a super stable lucid dream, I will re-live that day in HD and the bombs will work.
I can tell you're cool. Ever read Dylan's journal? It's where I was introduced to Nine Inch nails. I can relate with his view of the halcyon and how he sees death.

Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020
I'm dying, help ! 🥺

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Dead Meat, Élégie, OnlyTheWind and 1 other person
OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020
I can tell you're cool. Ever read Dylan's journal? It's where I was introduced to Nine Inch nails. I can relate with his view of the halcyon and how he sees death.
Thanks for the compliment. I have read parts of their journals years ago, but not recently. I really liked that part too. It was beautifully written and I hope his wish came true in the end.

• Love
NSA

NSA

Your friendly neighborhood agent
Feb 21, 2022
I hate it when art tutorials say "just have fun!" How the hell do you have fun with something you're bad at? How is it fun to constantly let yourself down?
I don't know why I keep trying.

• Hugs
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow, Dead Meat and nightnightnitrite
nightnightnitrite

nightnightnitrite

baby blues
Apr 17, 2021
I'm upset I flaked on my interview. I just had no way to get there and the more I researched, I have no money to legally get started. Made an onlyfans account so let's see where that goes:,)

• Hugs
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
The girl I had a crush on some weeks ago behaved very weird recenlty I was a little bit delusional some weeks ago and thought she would love me despite we barely know each other. After I realized my delusion I ignored her. She acted very compulsive and socially awkward. I felt very sad for her. I still like her. It would be a weird coincidence if she also was mentally ill. Some people laughed about her. I tried to help her but I could not fix it in the slightest way.
MAybe she has too much stress currently. Perople sometimes behave weird under pressure. I should judge too fast on the mental health of other people just because I know much and have a lot of experience. Remote diagnosis have a very bad standing in science.

• Hugs
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I think talking shit behind someone's back while you portray yourself to be kind in front of them is one of the most disgusting things you can do to someone. Whoever does this shit I hope they get the same treatment twice.

• Hugs
Reactions: Leiden, rationaltake, Eternal🌈Rainbow and 2 others
ryo the frog

ryo the frog

I'm in your house
Jun 27, 2022
firefly is the opposite of waterfall.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: rationaltake, keitaro, Dead Meat and 2 others
Dead Meat

Dead Meat

DOOMED
Oct 10, 2018
I hate myself

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Un-, rationaltake and Eternal🌈Rainbow
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
Why r girls so soft but us guys are sandpaper? I always wondered about that.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Dead Meat and Eternal🌈Rainbow
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
U don't need 2 go to prison for the lethal injection. A simple poisonous snake is the same - now where to pet one?

• Yay!
Reactions: littlelungs and rationaltake