DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
So, I decided I'm going to be using my "original" method that's based on DDMP. My first plan is to extract the cardenolide from the pong pong 6 seeds I bought.
So far, I've crushed them with a mortar and pestle and from the looks of it, it was like an oily paste, even after attempting to dry them in the oven. So, I decided to wash them a few times in a non-polar solvent, like N-Heptane. It's dry now, although I did lose a bit of yield due to some mishaps. But... it shouldn't be to consequential. I'm down to about 100 mls of heptane, as I believe this might not be enough to completely defat the seed material. So I'm perhaps gonna save that for after I just do a dry ethanol extract. It's in the ethanol solution right now, and as I've anticipated, there is some brown in the solvent.
I've made a previous attempt before, with less defatting, but despite actually getting a 1.7 of the 10:1 extract, it was brown and oily. And even more so when I decided to check on it a week or so later. But on the off chance it's salvageable and things go wrong that results in a loss of yield.

Based on what the sites told me, Cerberin is soluble in acetone, alcohol, ethyl acetate, sparingly soluble in water, and practically insoluble in petroleum ether, and should be so in heptane since it has the same polarity. Another to know is that it crystallizes in ethanol.

When one does extractions from a pong pong seed, they'd use a 50:50 mixure of ethanol and ethyl acetate. However, I don't have ethyl acetate. But I do have everclear (95%alcohol) and 500 ml of pure acetone. The one issue I have is, that when an alcohol and acetone is mixed, it would react and produce a hemiacetal. I do not know what it means (for the lack of a better word), but... would it work okay if I combine it as an alternative as acetone is a substitute for ethyl acetate? Or should I keep it seperated?

Regarding the potential resinous oil that'll come with the extract, would it work to defat it? How do I avoid losing the yield in the process?

This post is already a mess and perhaps this is a stupid question, so forgive me.

Has anyone around here even done this effectively before?

• Hugs
Reactions: CSSLAVE and Sinai Silence
Michaelwaev

Michaelwaev

Student
Sep 1, 2020
This isn't a stupid question, you've done well to get so much prepared too! Just copied this but Acetone can be used in place of ethyl acetate for compounds that show adsorption at wavelengths below 220 nm and are not UV active at 254 nm. Acetone is a cheaper alternative to ethyl acetate

Reactions: DetachedDreamer97
MrAsclepius

MrAsclepius

Грустная Сука
Jul 31, 2020
You could defat, your yield would be around 90% I believe (based on other oil extractions such as macadamia) since you are using high alcohol concentrations. If you've already lost some before then I'm unsure if it will be a sufficient amount, that's up to you to decide.

RealHumanBean

RealHumanBean

Student
Aug 8, 2020
Can I ask why someone would choose this method? From reading a couple articles, the efficacy seems sufficient, but it does not sound quick or painless..

Reactions: dropdeadfred
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
Can I ask why someone would choose this method? From reading a couple articles, the efficacy seems sufficient, but it does not sound quick or painless..
Because, with the other ingredients that should alleviate the side effects and potentiate it somewhat, it would suffice to make it relatively painless. Especially with datura inoxia, as cerberin apparently causes GI symptoms due to the increase in acetylcholine and the scopolamine is an anticholinergic. Not to mention, lower doses of that actually increases bradycardia.

Reactions: DeadBirdSaysGoodbye and Michaelwaev
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
This isn't a stupid question, you've done well to get so much prepared too! Just copied this but Acetone can be used in place of ethyl acetate for compounds that show adsorption at wavelengths below 220 nm and are not UV active at 254 nm. Acetone is a cheaper alternative to ethyl acetate
ALRIGHT... it's decided... I'll use acetone.

DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
67758804 411F 4DC3 99DD AD65A30E92C3
As of now, I had to start over since there has been some mishaps which nearly led me to actually drinking the extraction. No matter, cause I'm back to where we left off. I'm brewing the ground seeds in acetone and am gonna keep it in there for at least a week.

There is now one issue I'm having now. With the extractions I've bought, between Incarvillea Sinensis, California poppy, and akuamma, I read about the company I bought the it from and now I'm questioning the quality of the extracts. According to some reviews, when it's sold as 100X extract, it's gonna turn out to be bunk. Does anyone know a reliable merchant that sells potent extracts that are of good quality?
Also, here's this. D906561B 9B65 47EF B941 FBF2BEFAF0A7

D

DeadBirdSaysGoodbye

Sep 21, 2020
Thanks for elaborating on your methods & taking us on the journey with you through your process. I'm afraid you are far ahead of me so not likeky to be much help with the technical/science side. Just want to say thanks & wishing you well with it for what it's worth.

I'm sorry I can't help. You are ahead of me.
If you couldn't use Incarvillea Sinensis, California poppy, and akuamma what would you use?.

Last edited:
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
Thanks for elaborating on your methods & taking us on the journey with you through your process. I'm afraid you are far ahead of me so not likeky to be much help with the technical/science side. Just want to say thanks & wishing you well with it for what it's worth.
Sure thing! And it's alright. And about the question on what if I can't get the three herbs:
I can, but I need to search for a better vendor and make sure the stuff is of good quality.

Reactions: CSSLAVE and DeadBirdSaysGoodbye
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
So... I managed to complete the cerberin extraction. It came out as a beige mixture of powder and crystals. However, I've made a mistake of my own doing in being greedy and as a result, I lost a significant portion of my yield, perhaps more than half. I'm probably gonna have to start. But this time, since it looked pretty good, with the final yield being 0.4 grams. It wasn't entirely a failure. But I'm still going to have to kick myself. So... damn it all to hell...

Future reference though, I might just make a capsule out of it the next time I make this. 9139DABD ED32 4AB6 B177 0996BCFA8605 2AF840F5 8359 447A BDEC 30A809AD9EBF

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadBirdSaysGoodbye
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
Managed to complete another extraction. It's right now in heptane, to get rid of the remaining oils and stuff. Unfortunately, it was with only 3 seeds, one being black. But I have more coming my way.
I managed to do a little test with the residue I couldn't scrape up, which I put a few drops of sulphuric acid on the fork as well as on the bowl. It turned to a transient yellow, then orange, then brick red, and finally to purple. That reveals the presence of glycosides.

Attachments

• C0DB612B-B399-42F7-BC7E-643F99250286.jpeg
    C0DB612B-B399-42F7-BC7E-643F99250286.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 1AB7E12D-D751-445E-9D3D-A93140F0AE0F.jpeg
    1AB7E12D-D751-445E-9D3D-A93140F0AE0F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
I kinda goofed up a little during my acetone extract drying process and lost some yield. How? It turned out that as acetone evaporates, the liquid left behind wasn't an oil, it was the water absorbed from the air apparently. Figured much when I tried defatting with heptane and the two liquids formed into separate layers. What I've yielded was less than a hundred milligrams, but that came from 7 pong pong seeds, originally weighing 27.8 grams, 21.3 (dried), 10.1 defatted. I added half the volume of 80 proof alcohol in a small glass bottle (don't know the volume of it, but it seems less than 30 milliliters.
Mixed a few dropperfuls of incarvillea sinensis and california pippy extract just enough to fill up rest of the volume.

I'm probably gonna add a bit of akuamma extract powder as well. CBB38B8A 049E 41D3 B16D FA8A1F34A1A3 B4A67F7A C028 4090 BF8D 4DC0E82734A6