P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
as a person who worked for one, i agree that there shitty.

never felt genuine and i felt as if i was a robot with the way they make you respond and speak to people. if it isn't their way, it's the wrong way. too superficial and fake.

if you need a shoulder to lean on and an ear to hear you out, it's fine i guess. but some people get dependent on it, hoping it's someone that cares and may understand them, and it isn't sadly.

Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
honestly the last thing i would want when i'm at my most vulnerable is to talk to some stranger on the phone. oh i want to die, better ring up a complete stranger and open up? idk why these helplines are suggested like this is a thing the majority of people would feel comfortable doing…
I've done it twice, and it feels kind of good to get everything off your chest, but their responses are all very canned and impersonal; like a robot reciting pre-recorded lines.

"I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way. Your feelings are valid. You are a valuable person."

The term "emotional hooker" comes to mind. A pretend friend in your moment of need. I can find better support on here or on Reddit. It would likely be more genuine than anything I've ever gotten from a helpline

Last edited:
Reactions: MiseryWithoutCompany and FailureGirl