Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
So I responded to someone in PM that said that their already opened SN was not a danger because the vendor told them that Sodium Nitrite doesn't react with the air.
THIS IS PARTLY TRUE, NaNO2 (Sodium Nitrite) is quite stable in the air, as long as the air is DRY. Sodium Nitrite reacts very well with the moisture present in the air, based on this equation:
IMG 0009
Here, you see Sodium Nitrate in presence of water molecules turns into….Sodium nitrate NaNO3, which is not a good chemical to CTB at all.
IT IS A SLOW PROCESS HOWEVER, THAT'S WHY IT'S OKAY TO PUT YOUR SN IN A GLASS OF WATER if you consume it soon after!
So when you expose your SN to the air, depending on how humid it is where you are, the top part of your SN will slowly turn into Sodium nitrate, that's one reason why you should not open your SN if you won't CTB immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: singlemom38, rationaltake, WonderingSoul and 7 others
D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
I opened my sn once to do an aquarium test. Do you think it's still good to go? I did it quickly and sealed it back up

Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
I opened my sn once to do an aquarium test. Do you think it's still good to go? I did it quickly and sealed it back up
Be careful to not take the top part as it may already have turned into sodium nitrates if you decide to CTB and it should be okay. If you want to be sure buy a new sealed bottle from the same vendor if your test came back okay

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
Be careful to not take the top part as it may already have turned into sodium nitrates if you decide to CTB and it should be okay. If you want to be sure buy a new sealed bottle from the same vendor if your test came back okay
Unfortunately both vendors are no longer on business

cats333

cats333

sleepy
Aug 10, 2023
Do you have any idea of what would happen if you would take both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate?

アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
Do you have any idea of what would happen if you would take both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate?
Both are poisonous but only nitrite is lethal. I believe that it would only induce further nausea, which would disturb the plan and possibly push you to aborting it.

• Informative
Reactions: dialogos and bluesoapyskies
Huggs

Huggs

Wish for peace
Jul 6, 2023
Even without much moisture sodium nitrite will oxidize into nitrate with air exposure. Once I receive SN I won't be opening it until the day I plan to CTB.

Reactions: doggiesarecute
Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
Depends on the proportions, 90% nitrite 10% nitrate you'll die. 90% nitrate 10% nitrite you'll puke your brain out, maybe do irreversible damage to your liver/kidneys but you won't die most likely

Arihman

Arihman

Efilist, atheist, pro-right to die.
Jun 8, 2023
What does it happen if you close the bottle or container again? Does it stop the process? Not that I would leave it open anyway, doesn't make much sense.

Death_or_Coffee

Death_or_Coffee

Far better rest I go to than I have ever known.
Aug 24, 2023
So I responded to someone in PM that said that their already opened SN was not a danger because the vendor told them that Sodium Nitrite doesn't react with the air.
THIS IS PARTLY TRUE, NaNO2 (Sodium Nitrite) is quite stable in the air, as long as the air is DRY. Sodium Nitrite reacts very well with the moisture present in the air, based on this equation:
View attachment 119114
Here, you see Sodium Nitrate in presence of water molecules turns into….Sodium nitrate NaNO3, which is not a good chemical to CTB at all.
IT IS A SLOW PROCESS HOWEVER, THAT'S WHY IT'S OKAY TO PUT YOUR SN IN A GLASS OF WATER if you consume it soon after!
So when you expose your SN to the air, depending on how humid it is where you are, the top part of your SN will slowly turn into Sodium nitrate, that's one reason why you should not open your SN if you won't CTB immediately.
Thank you so much for posting this. Really helpful info and could prevent some serious problems with people's CTB plans.

Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
What does it happen if you close the bottle or container again? Does it stop the process? Not that I would leave it open anyway, doesn't make much sense.
Let's say that you opened you SN container for 10 sec, in that time 300 000 molecules of H2O (random number, not realistic) present in the air as moisture will enter. Based on the equation I posted, those 300 000 molecules of H2O will react with 100 000 molecules of NaNO2 (Sodium Nitrite) and will turn them into 100 000 molecules of NaNO3 over a few hours/days. The reaction, or process, will not stop until the last H2O in the bottle has been used. In that case you now have 100k molecules of Sodium Nitrates in the top layer of your SN

• Informative
Reactions: doggiesarecute and アホペンギン
Decided98

Decided98

“All life is a near death experience.”
Dec 27, 2022
View attachment 119114
Sounds like you know abit about SN how many years can you keep it before the % is too low? Mine are from TIG and IC
Ths
Sounds like you know abit about SN how many years can you keep it before the % is too low? Mine are from TIG and IC
i is without it being opened

Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
Ths

i is without it being opened
3 years in very good condition, then the potency will reduce IMG 0012

• Informative
Reactions: SenseOfLoss
front of me

front of me

Experienced
Aug 3, 2023
How do I make sure it is not corrupted?

D

Deleted member 65988

Well yes, if it is opened in air that has been exposed to moisture then yes it could oxidize but occasionally opening it isn't a big problem, frequently opening it will degrade it overtime.

• Informative
Reactions: SenseOfLoss and dialogos
Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
Well yes, if it is opened in air that has been exposed to moisture then yes it could oxidize but occasionally opening it isn't a big problem, frequently opening it will degrade it overtime.
It doesn't matter much as long as you discard the top layer when you CTB.
How do I make sure it is not corrupted?
You test it beforehand, if you only have one bottle test it just before ctb

D

Deleted member 65988

It doesn't matter much as long as you discard the top layer when you CTB.
How would you know the top layer has been oxidized into Nitrate if it's been left open for a brief amount of time, SN is an inorganic substance that only mainly oxidizes when in contact with moisture, bases or strong acids. I appreciate what you've done here though.

It is well known it'll lose its potency overtime when exposed to air but how much is something I'm curious to know and under what conditions, this thread below did some good work about this too.

• Informative
Reactions: Mayonaise